12.15 to 1am------Clive Rayson

1am to 2am Dave Evison

2 to 2.45----------Steve Csordas

2.45 to 3.30------ The Woons

3.30 to 4.15-------Steve McMahon

4.15 to 5 ---------Si Bridger

5 to 5.30 ---------Woolie

5.30 to Close------Clive/Paddy

Room 2 will be dicided on the night to suit Dj preference as much as poss.

Edited by CliveRayson
  • Replies 24
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest CliveRayson

Room 2 Bar Area,

Paul Panton

Paddy

Steve McMahon

Si Bridger

Pete B

Anton

Clive Rayson

Linda

Kev Kent

+ Others

This is not a running order (will be confirmed on the night)just an IDEA of who will be playing.

Room 2 Bar Area,

Paul Panton

Paddy

Steve McMahon

Si Bridger

Pete B

Anton

Clive Rayson

Linda

Kev Kent

+ Others

This is not a running order (will be confirmed on the night)just an IDEA of who will be playing.

Looking forward to tonight, and meeting up with a few old faces and friends.

Best

The Woons

maximax :unsure:

Guest CliveRayson

Hi Maxine/Keith,

Should be a good one, And I'm sure you have a great set lined up as always.

See ya later

Clive/Paddy

Hi Maxine/Keith,

Should be a good one, And I'm sure you have a great set lined up as always.

See ya later

Clive/Paddy

its just a pity they only have such a short time behind the decks

An excellent night last night/this morning - my congrats to Clive and Paddy on a fantstic job. :thumbsup:

It was lovely to go out for the night and only have a 30 minute journey at the end of it!! Also great to have the chance to meet plenty of old and new friends.

A million thanks also to Simon Bridger for letting me double-deck with him from 4:15am - 5:15am. It was a blast and let's hope we can do it again some time.

Here's the bits I played - nothing dog rare but seemed to keep most of those that were still there reasonably happy:

1. Patti Austin - You're too much a part of me (Coral)
  2. The Exciters - Blowing up my mind (RCA)
  3. Little Ann - Who are you trying to fool (Kent)
  4. Darrow Fletcher - My young misery (Groovy)
  5. Tobi Lark - Sweep it out in the shed (Topper)
  6. The Ballads - I can't see your love (Vee Jay)
  7. Funk Brothers - Love is like an itching in my heart (inst)
  8. Sharon Scott - Could it be you (RCA)
  9. Jo Ann Garrett - A whole new plan (Chess)
  10. Robert John - Raindrops, love and sunshine (A&M)
  11. Herbert Hunter - I was born to love you (Spar)
  12. Nancy Wilson - The end of our love (Capitol)
Cheers,

Steve

EASTBOURNE

Guest SteveC

A quite mad nite. Gr8 venue and very high standard of music in both rooms. Soul for both the ocassional goer and the regular travellers who incidentally, came from afar.

Steve C 2 - 2.45

Earl Jackson - Soul Self Satisfaction - ABC DJ

Contours - Jealousy - Dub

Intentions - I'm losin' your love - Uptight

Betti Lou & Bobby Adams - Dr Truelove - TRA-X

Carl Underwood - Ain''t you lying - Merging

Lee Andrews & the Hearts - Can't do without you - Lost Nite

Vibrations - One mint julep - Columbia UK

Brenda Holloway - Crying Time - Dub

Sam Dees - Lonely for you baby (Alt version) - Dub

Soulville Allstars - Nobody to blame (but myself) - Soulville

The Four Pro's - Just another girl - Carla

Hesitations - I'm not built that way - Kapp

Fred Hughes - Don't let me down - Vee Jay

September Jones - Give me all of your love - Body & Soul

Hesitations - Thats what love is - Soul Series

Jesse Johnson - Left Out - Old Town

Marvin L Sims - Get off my back - Revue

Tony Galla - In Love - Swan

Jackie Lee - Oh my darling - Mirwood

Guest Simon

An excellent night last night/this morning - my congrats to Clive and Paddy on a fantstic job. :thumbsup:

It was lovely to go out for the night and only have a 30 minute journey at the end of it!! Also great to have the chance to meet plenty of old and new friends.

A million thanks also to Simon Bridger for letting me double-deck with him from 4:15am - 5:15am. It was a blast and let's hope we can do it again some time.

Here's the bits I played - nothing dog rare but seemed to keep most of those that were still there reasonably happy:

1. Patti Austin - You're too much a part of me (Coral)
  2. The Exciters - Blowing up my mind (RCA)
  3. Little Ann - Who are you trying to fool (Kent)
  4. Darrow Fletcher - My young misery (Groovy)
  5. Tobi Lark - Sweep it out in the shed (Topper)
  6. The Ballads - I can't see your love (Vee Jay)
  7. Funk Brothers - Love is like an itching in my heart (inst)
  8. Sharon Scott - Could it be you (RCA)
  9. Jo Ann Garrett - A whole new plan (Chess)
  10. Robert John - Raindrops, love and sunshine (A&M)
  11. Herbert Hunter - I was born to love you (Spar)
  12. Nancy Wilson - The end of our love (Capitol)
Cheers,

Steve

EASTBOURNE

Really enjoyed double-decking Steve & peeps seemed to enjoy it, thought the whole night was superb & it was lovely to meet up with friends & new people alike. First time i'd met Dave Evison before & have to say what a lovely guy & he certainly knows how to work a crowd from behind the decks also.

Well done to Paddy & Clive, it takes a hell of a lot of hard work & stress to put something like this on in a city not renound for Northern Soul but i definitely think they pulled it off!

Bit cream crackered this morning, most i've danced for ages, anyway here's my half of the set above.

Mary Love - Lay this burden down @ Modern

Soul City - Cold hearted blues - @ Goodtime WDJ

Carl Spencer - Cover girl @ Rust WDJ

Charmaines - I idolize you @ Kent

Eddie Holland - Candy to me @ Motown

Carl Carlton - I can feel it @ Back Beat

Eddie Holman - I surrender @ ABC

Bernard Williams & the Original Blue Notes - It's needless to say @ Harthon

Gene Chandler - Mr. Big shot @ Constellation

Belles - Don't pretend @ Mirwood

The 3 Degrees - Drivin' me mad @ Swan

Maxine Brown - It's torture @ Kent

Simon :(

Guest CliveRayson

Hi All,

Firstly a BIG BIG thank you to all the DJs I can't single anyone out because you all played absolute storming sets,It was exactly what we wanted.And both rooms wer'e patronised BRILLIANT.

Being such a big venue we wer'e about 80 short of break even.( I doubt this will stop us doing another one LOL) So if there's anything we can do for any of you in the future please please get in touch, it will be a pleasure

Steve C your comments to Paddy and myself later in the night are appreciated and if we can return the favor, just ask.

I'm sure you will all agree, you know when you've got it right when you come off the decks and you are getting handshakes and pats on the back,It's a great feeling.

Just a couple of things that spoilt the night, People trying to blag their way in and someone trying to let people in through the side door (thanks DOUG), Seems they don't know the meaning KTF or truely support the scene.Apart form that It was a very succesful night and the credit for that goes to all the DJ that kept the floor banging all night

Many thanks to you all

Clive/Paddy

www.soul-survivors.co.uk

Edited by CliveRayson

A quite mad nite. Gr8 venue and very high standard of music in both rooms. Soul for both the ocassional goer and the regular travellers who incidentally, came from afar.

Steve C 2 - 2.45

Earl Jackson - Soul Self Satisfaction - ABC DJ

Contours - Jealousy - Dub

Intentions - I'm losin' your love - Uptight

Betti Lou & Bobby Adams - Dr Truelove - TRA-X

Carl Underwood - Ain''t you lying - Merging

Lee Andrews & the Hearts - Can't do without you - Lost Nite

Vibrations - One mint julep - Columbia UK

Brenda Holloway - Crying Time - Dub

Sam Dees - Lonely for you baby (Alt version) - Dub

Soulville Allstars - Nobody to blame (but myself) - Soulville

The Four Pro's - Just another girl - Carla

Hesitations - I'm not built that way - Kapp

Fred Hughes - Don't let me down - Vee Jay

September Jones - Give me all of your love - Body & Soul

Hesitations - Thats what love is - Soul Series

Jesse Johnson - Left Out - Old Town

Marvin L Sims - Get off my back - Revue

Tony Galla - In Love - Swan

Jackie Lee - Oh my darling - Mirwood

Awesome track this - remember hearing it for the first time at Bisley and asking Roger Stewart what it was. "Expensive", was his reply!!!! :shades:

Also love the September Jones track - Detrit soul at it's finest. :shades:

Steve

EASTBOURNE

Awesome track this - remember hearing it for the first time at Bisley and asking Roger Stewart what it was. "Expensive", was his reply!!!! :shades:.....have you been out since steve?

Also love the September Jones track - Detrit soul at it's finest. :shades:

Steve

EASTBOURNE

Great night! Well done guys :thumbsup:

I was looking for this thread on "Lookbacks" so have only just found you.

I'll post my playlist tomorrow - after 3 nights gigging my old aged frame can't take any more! :(

But...while you're all working tomorrow...I have another day off, and will be getting out of bed a little later than usual :( !!!

Kevin Kent.

its just a pity they only have such a short time behind the decks

Hi Moldie,

Yes, Keith & Maxine always perform admirably for you at Lightwater and wherever else they appear.

Didn't bump into you at the 'niter. We were at the tables by the vinyl sales. Where were you?

:thumbsup: Kevin.

Hi Moldie,

Yes, Keith & Maxine always perform admirably for you at Lightwater and wherever else they appear.

Didn't bump into you at the 'niter. We were at the tables by the vinyl sales. Where were you?

:thumbsup: Kevin.

hi kev

while you were having a weekend of excitement i was slogging my guts out at work

this is our busy time so its 6/7 days a week for me

i would loved to have been there....and at margate too

only good thing is ivegot lots to spend on tunes

catchup with you soon

moldie

Guest James Trouble

Really enjoyed double-decking Steve & peeps seemed to enjoy it, thought the whole night was superb & it was lovely to meet up with friends & new people alike. First time i'd met Dave Evison before & have to say what a lovely guy & he certainly knows how to work a crowd from behind the decks also.

Well done to Paddy & Clive, it takes a hell of a lot of hard work & stress to put something like this on in a city not renound for Northern Soul but i definitely think they pulled it off!

Bit cream crackered this morning, most i've danced for ages, anyway here's my half of the set above.

Mary Love - Lay this burden down @ Modern

Soul City - Cold hearted blues - @ Goodtime WDJ

Carl Spencer - Cover girl @ Rust WDJ

Charmaines - I idolize you @ Kent

Eddie Holland - Candy to me @ Motown

Carl Carlton - I can feel it @ Back Beat

Eddie Holman - I surrender @ ABC

Bernard Williams & the Original Blue Notes - It's needless to say @ Harthon

Gene Chandler - Mr. Big shot @ Constellation

Belles - Don't pretend @ Mirwood

The 3 Degrees - Drivin' me mad @ Swan

Maxine Brown - It's torture @ Kent

Simon :(

Some of the best tunes of the night there for me Simon. Shame you had to be double decking though, the incoherency was a bit frustrating for me at times. Not that Steve was playing bad records, it was just choppy changey, slow fast, slow fast, slow fast, just at the time of night where any dancers that are left need the skill of the DJ to keep them in the 'zone' and carry them through. A frustrating end to a decent night for me and I was left feeling a bit cheated as was sure Simon was ment to be on for 45 minutes solid having read the DJ times on soul-source (4.15 to 5 ---------Si Bridger) and if I'd known he was going to be double decking I honestly may not have made the trip down for it especially after the comments about "nothing unheard of" that were made during the week.

Steve C knocked out the set of the event for me, by quite some way, terrific stuff! As soon as he hit the decks the atmosphere lifted from a kind of "are you sure this isn't just a soul night" atmosphere, to a full on, blister inducing, banging allnighter. Quality :(

One of the highlights of the night for me was watching the look of disbelief on the security's faces as they struggled to keep up with Carolyn and Sue as they swept through the venue like a pair of crazed tazmanian devils determind to leave their own unique stamp of chaos and confusion at the end of the event :(

All in all it was a good crack and worth the journey and £12.50 entrance fee. I'd come back for sure, but if I could be as bold as to make a suggestion to the promoter, perhaps a little more imagination could be used to make the best of this terrific two room venue. The second room could have been put to much better use. Which I find ironic saying, because I heard some of the best tunes of the night in there. Maybe a couple of the DJs from that room could be put in the main room and put a modern/disco, RnB or a rare funk room in there. It would make the event more interesting and open it up to a wider audience and might solve your loss making attendence :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble

Now that I'm rested and fully recovered I guess it's time to post my set. Knowing that Dave Evison would play a blinding set and that Steve Csordas was promising something special, I stuck to my brief - which fortunately allowed me to play some of my all time favourites!

My early efforts to draw in the Motowners :dance: , and to build the tempo, resulted in the following:

(Loneliness made me realize) It's you that I need - Temptations - Gordy

Heart of a child - Percy Sledge -Atlantic

I'll never stop loving you - Carla Thomas - Kent

You gotta pay your dues - drifters - Atlantic

If you ever walk out of my life - Dena Barnes - Inferno

This gets to me - Pookie Hudson - Jamie

Look what I got - Gerri Thomas - World

(Dance) Anyway you wanta - Harvey Fuqua - Tri-Phi

Open the door to your heart - Darrell Banks -Stateside

Love, Love, Love - Bobby Hebb - Philips

Blowing my mind to pieces - Bob Relf - Trans-American

(It's against) The laws of love - Volcanos - Arctic

Night owl - Bobby Paris - Cameo

Wait till I get to know ya - Bobby Treetop - Tuff

If that's what you wanted - Frank Beverly & the Butlers - Sassy

Quick change artist - Soul Twins - Karen

Not the marrying kind - Keni Lewis- Unissued

Dirty Hearts - Benny Curtis & the Dirty Hearts - Soul Galore

:ohmy: Kevin.

"STOLEN HOURS" - RAMSGATE

BANK HOLIDAY SUNDAY MAY 27th

www.soul-smugglers-inc.co.uk

Guest Simon

Some of the best tunes of the night there for me Simon. Shame you had to be double decking though, the incoherency was a bit frustrating for me at times. Not that Steve was playing bad records, it was just choppy changey, slow fast, slow fast, slow fast, just at the time of night where any dancers that are left need the skill of the DJ to keep them in the 'zone' and carry them through. A frustrating end to a decent night for me and I was left feeling a bit cheated as was sure Simon was ment to be on for 45 minutes solid having read the DJ times on soul-source (4.15 to 5 ---------Si Bridger) and if I'd known he was going to be double decking I honestly may not have made the trip down for it especially after the comments about "nothing unheard of" that were made during the week.

Hi James, many thanks for the nice comments, i'm afraid i'm to blame for the double-decking as i was a bit worried that Steve may not have too many people to play to for his 5 o'clock spot as the venue was starting to thin out a bit, also by doing this it enabled Paddy & Clive to have an extra 15 minutes which after all their hard work thought it might be a nice gesture.

I agree totally that it can be frustrating if a set doesn't flow & also at that time of morning you really need to keep the crowds attention, i've been vocal about people in the past playing the wrong tempos at the wrong time of night especially when the dancers are tired, as you say you need to keep them in the zone, definitely something to think on in the future.

I do think Steve played a great set which on it's own i'm sure would have flowed perfectly as when i've heard Steve play in the past his tunes have always knitted together seamlessly.

Steve C knocked out the set of the event for me, by quite some way, terrific stuff! As soon as he hit the decks the atmosphere lifted from a kind of "are you sure this isn't just a soul night" atmosphere, to a full on, blister inducing, banging allnighter. Quality :ohmy:

I agree totally with this, Steve is my kind of dj, full of passion, aggression, totally lost in the music & totally in the zone!!

This is why i go out to NS nights & pretty much how i want to play records & see records played, infact that set really has inspired me, danced to pretty much every record & it's been a hell of a long time since i've danced to someone's entire set, Northern Soul how it should be done!!

Simon thumbsup.gif

Guest SteveC

Gents, your words and comments are making the "goat herder" blush and are very much appreciated. Not the set I'd have played to an out an out hardcore rare soul crowd (perhaps The Volks is the place for that on 27 May) but nevertheless one I thoroughly enjoyed, mixing the oldies with more recent faves but always keeping it uptempo.

Must admit - it was a marvelous gesture to double up and cut back on your times.

As for JT's comments on room themes, I totally agree. I think that when word gets out about how good the venue is you may find that not only more locals will attend but also many more from the likes of London who also attend The Volks dayers.

Well, well, well what a night, everyone playing really imaginative sets fully supported by the dance floor.

Perhaps we should get out more, but it's been quite a time since we've seen a dance floor so continuously busy at a nighter, got to admire the enthusiasm and energy.

As promised here's our six-penneth (one-on-one, him-her-...-him):

Garland Green - Ain't ThaT Good Enough - Revue

Syl Johnson - We Did It - London

Frank Dell - He Broke Your Game Wide Open - Vallise

Nicole Willis - If This Ain't Love... - Timmion

Charades - Key To My Happiness - MGM

Carol Anderson - Taking My Mind Off Love - Whip

True Image - I'm Not Over You - Super Smash

Jackie Wilson - I'm The One To Do It - Brunswick

Yvonne Baker - You Didn't Say A Word - Parkway

Lonnie Givens - Hold On To The Blues - Real Side

Jerry Washington - Don't Waste My Time - Glades

DJ Genisis - Tribute To Betty "Tonight" - Subgroundz

Four Tops - Shake Me Wake Me - Motown

Little Richie - One Bodillion Years - Sound Stage 7

Garnett Mimms - Looking For You

Marvin Gaye - Come Get To This -

Little Anthony & Imperials - You Better Use Your Head - Veep

PS good to see so much positive feedback too.

Best wishes all, the Woons.

Well, well, well what a night, everyone playing really imaginative sets fully supported by the dance floor.

Perhaps we should get out more, but it's been quite a time since we've seen a dance floor so continuously busy at a nighter, got to admire the enthusiasm and energy.

As promised here's our six-penneth (one-on-one, him-her-...-him):

Garland Green - Ain't ThaT Good Enough - Revue

Syl Johnson - We Did It - London

Frank Dell - He Broke Your Game Wide Open - Vallise

Nicole Willis - If This Ain't Love... - Timmion

Charades - Key To My Happiness - MGM

Carol Anderson - Taking My Mind Off Love - Whip

True Image - I'm Not Over You - Super Smash

Jackie Wilson - I'm The One To Do It - Brunswick

Yvonne Baker - You Didn't Say A Word - Parkway

Lonnie Givens - Hold On To The Blues - Real Side

Jerry Washington - Don't Waste My Time - Glades

DJ Genisis - Tribute To Betty "Tonight" - Subgroundz

Four Tops - Shake Me Wake Me - Motown

Little Richie - One Bodillion Years - Sound Stage 7

Garnett Mimms - Looking For You

Marvin Gaye - Come Get To This -

Little Anthony & Imperials - You Better Use Your Head - Veep

PS good to see so much positive feedback too.

Best wishes all, the Woons.

im sorry i didnt get down to this

glad you had a great time keith

a real mixture from you and max

Morning, one & all. Apologies for the tardy post but have only just had chance to sit down & go back through my box! Had a great time Sunday - great people, great atmosphere & a superb venue = 1 memorable niter. I agree with all comments above; Steve did do a cracking job, as always. I particualrly enjoyed Keith & Maxine's set as I'm also partial to 'mixing up the era's' a bit & they did it superbly. Toddy & Linda both did crackin jobs in the bar - I didn't get chance to hear everyone else though[too busy dancing], but am assured they were equally as fab too. All adds up to a winning formula, Paddy & Clive ..when's the next one? :thumbsup:

Steve McMahon

Bar Set 12~1:

Bobby Taylor - Oh, I've Been Blessed - VIP

Royal Esquires - Aint Gonna Run - Prix

Towanda Barnes - You Don't Mean It - A&M DJ

Johnny Howard - The Chase Is On - Bashie DJ

Bobby Wilson - Feels Good - Volt DJ

Fred Hughes - Baby Boy - Brunswick

The Parliaments - Don't Be Sore At Me - Revilot

The Mighty Marvellows - Talkin' Bout Ya Baby - ABC

Bobby Hebb - Girl You Want to Change Me - Philips

Dave Love - Baby Hard Times - Worlds

Sam E. Solo - Love Is Not A Game - Imperial DJ

We The People - Making My Daydream Real - Lion

Jerry Butler - Chalk It Up - Motown

The Magic Tones - We Shall Overcome - Mah's

Four Tops - I Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind - Probe

S.O.U.L. - This Time Around - Musicor

Wales Wallace - Somebody I Know - BRC

Bobby Hutton - Lend A Hand - ABC

Eddie Parker - Body Chains - Prodigal

Lloyd Price - Love Music - GSF

Main room 3:30~4:15:

The Ultimates - Girl I've Been Trying To Tell You - Br-roma

Brother's Guiding Light - Getting Together - Mercury

Barbara Hall - You Brought It On Yourself - i2

Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You - Volt

Sidney Joe Qualls - I Don't Do This - Expansion

Vessie Simmons - I Can Make It On My Own - Simco

Soul Bros Six - I'll Be Loving You - Atlantic

Jimmy Robins - I Can't Please You - Jerhart

The Vonettes - Touch My Heart - Cobblestone DJ

Rufus Wood - Before 2001 - Espanola

Deon Jackson - Ooh Baby - Carla DJ

The Marvelettes - I'll Keep Holding On - Tamla

Erma Franklin - I Get The Sweetest Feeling - Brunswick

The Precissions - If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely) - Drew

Jackie Wilson - I've Lost You - Brunswick

Johnnie Taylor - Friday Night - Stax

Edited by deeve
Guest clanger v2

I have to say, I had a really good night. :rolleyes:

I had been to Crossfire the night before, so I was a little concerned that I wouldn't have the energy to see this one through, but I thought the DJs played fantastic sets and I found myself on the dancefloor really enjoying this nighter.

Agree with what James has said regards the 2nd room......there were some great sounds being played in there all night........spent a lot of time flitting between the 2 rooms, not sure where I wanted to stay!

Was enjoying myself so much, I lost track of time and missed my opportunity to spin a few myself....Doh!

I finally met Simon, albeit very briefly (sorry about that......but I was 'in the zone' so to speak!), hopefully will get chance for a proper chat on 27th.

A lot of friendly and familiar faces, sorry to those I didn't get to chat to.........and sorry to those that I did! :rolleyes:

All in all, a most enjoyable night. :thumbsup:

Edited by clanger v2