Different Kettle Of Fish

Just a few lines to look back at the first "Different Kettle Of Fish" Soul night at the Dog In A Doublet pub Whittlesey nr Peterborough.

If you've read the events section of Soul Source you'll soon realise that Peterborough has it's fair share of various soul nights, the lads behind the DKOF wanted something a little different, the more obscure sounds, the underplayed sounds, they wanted a night to compliment the existing soul nights in Peterborough.

The venue is a lovely pub on the banks of the River Nene with it's own private function room, low ceiling, little dance floor, carpeted area that doubles up as a dance area and adequate seating area.

Mick Donnelly & Becky Cousins doubled up behind the decks until 10, followed by Paul Donnelly, Ray Mahoney and Bob Mawson did the final hour.

Some playlists:

Mick Donnelly

Clyde Brown - you call me back

Winfield Parker - I wanna be with you

Impressions - I'll always be here

Jackie Wilson - Whatcha gonna do about love

Creations - Footsteps

The Vows - Tell me

Linda Lloyd - Breakaway

Freddie Butler - Thats when I need you

The Shirelles - Look away

The Diplomats - there's still a tomorrow

Buddy Ace - It's gonna be me

Betty Harris 12 red roses

Silky Hargraves - Hurt by Love

Crystal Motion - Main squeeze

Continental Show stoppers - Not too young

Loretta Williams - Baby Cakes

Little Jewel - I want to

Willy McDougal - Don't turn away

Johnny Newbag - Got to get you back

Buddy Lamp - Save your love

Clifford Binns - You got to help me

Billy Preston - The girls got it

Billy kennedy - Sweet thing

Aaron Neville - Why worry

Becky Cousins

The Darlings - Two Time Loser - Kay-Ko

Chuck Jackson - Tell Him I'm Not Home - Wand

Chuck and Eddie - We've Got A Good Thing Going - SIGN

The Miracles - Whatever Makes You Happy - Tamla

Marvin Gaye - Hello There Angel - Tamla

The Boss-Four - Walkin' By - RIM

Anna King - The Big Change - Ludix

Bobby Camel - Title Love Song - Tune-Kel

Gary (US) Bonds - I'm That Kind Of Guy - LeGrand

Jackie Hill - Won't You Come Closer - Mar-Brit

The Bracelets - You're Just Fooling Yourself - 20th Century Fox

Sugar and the Spices - Have Faith In Me - Swan

Lilly Fields - I've Got To Tell You - Holton

The Echoes - Million Dollar Bill - Pulse

The Freeman Brothers - My Baby - Soul

Steve Alaimo - Little Girl - Checker

US Bonds - Quarter To Three - LeGrand

Carl Henry Hall - Let Me Down Slowly - Mercury

The Delcos - Just Ask - Sound Stage 7

Johnny Nash - What Kind Of Love Is This - Groove

Daylighters - Cool Breeze - Regency

The Tears - Good Luck My Love - Smash

Johnny Wyatt - I Wouldn't Change A Thing About You - Challenge

Paul Donnelly

GARY DEAN YOU CAN SAY

DICKIE WONDER NOBODY KNOWS

SHARON SCOTT I'M NOT AFRAID

BESSIE BANKS I CAN'T MAKE IT

KATHY & THE CALENDERS PLEASE DON'T GO

SOLID SOLUTION THINK ABOUT IT GIRL

KENNY THOMAS CRAZY WORLD

EDDIE PARKER BODY CHAINS

MARVIN HOLMES YOU BETTER KEEP HER

THE HYPERIONS WHY YOU WANNA TREAT ME

THE TYMES MISS GRACE

THE FIESTAS THINK SMART

MARVIN GAYE TEAR IT ON DOWN

GARLAND JEFFRIES SHE DIDN'T LIE

THE CAUTIONS NO OTHER WAY

FOUR TOPS SHAKE ME WAKE ME (ALT)

DRAKE & THE ENSOLIDS PLEASE LEAVE ME

JEANETTE WILLIAMS SOMETHING GOOD

COOPERETTES SHING A LING

LARRY LESTER GO FOR YOURSELF

THE ADVENTURERS EASY BABY

Ray Mahoney

GEORGE JACKSON DON'T GET SERIOUS

EPSILONS MAD AT THE WORLD

VONTASTICS ILL NEVER SAY GOODBYE

CELESTRALS I FEEL IT COMING ON

FAYE CRAWFORD SO MANY LIES

MAXINE BROWN YESTERDAYS KISSES

MARY LOVE YOU TURNED MY BITTER INTO SWEET

VOLUMES YOU GOT IT BABY

VOLUMES I GOT LOVE

VOLUMES THAT SAME OLD FEELING

SHADOWS MY LOVE IS GONE

SCOTTY WILLIAMS FEAR

CAESARS LA LA I LOVE YOU

WILLIE COOPER YOU DON'T LOVE NOBODY

YVONNE VERNEE ITS BEEN A LONG TIME

LITTLE MARION LET ME BACK IN YOUR ARMS

TAMMY WAYNE HAVE A GOOD TIME

FABULOUS APPOLOS SOME GOOD IN EVERYTHING BAD

BARBARA MASON AINT GOT NOBODY

KIM WESTON THRILL A MOMENT

COMPLIMENTS TIME OF HER LIFE

MARTHA STAR NO PART TIME LOVE

PATTI AUSTIN IVE GIVEN ALL MY LOVE

CITATIONS KEEP THE FAITH

DETROIT SOUL ALL OF MY LIFE

A brilliant turn out for the first event, hopefully the first of many.

Next night:

June 22 with guest DJ's Kitch, Dean Anderson Sean Whitfield Ray Mahoney & Paul Donnelly

The Dog In A Doublet

Northside

Whittlesey

Peterborough

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I enjoyed myself, so there.

couple of cut and pastes..

Bob Mawsons play list..

1/ Roy Wright -Hook,Line & Sinker

2/ Gordon Keith-Look Ahead

3/Lee Bates-You wont do right

4/ Lee Bates-Why dont you wright

5/Mr Caldwell-Love Bandit

6/Wilbur Reynolds-Sweet,N,

7/Chaumonts-Now Youve Gone

8/ Flame n King-Faststeppin

9/Bobby Williams-Ive only got myself to blame

10/Ruby Winters-I dont wanna hurt nobody

11/Tee Fletcher-Happy loving You

12/Cassadons-Two sided love

13/High Voltage-Country Road

14/ Boby Frankly-The ladies choice

15/Kris Peterson-Just as much

16/Mad dog & pups-Why did you leave me girl

17/Gypsies-Its a womans world

18/Bell boys-I dont want to lose you

19/Ad libs-New york in the dark

20/The deadbeats-No second chance

21/Otis Blackwell-Its all over me

22/Sunlovers-You,ll never make the grade

23/Yvonne & violets-Cross my heart

24/ The Cashmeres-Showstopper

Pete Williams revue for the dkof.org website

a massive thank you to those that organised the dkof night at Peterborough last night, it certainly WAS a different kettle of fish.

VENUE - Easy to find. Large on site car park. Self Contained venue. Bar Prices OK. Capacity 125? Attendance 100.

ADMISSION COST - £5 as flyer however when we handed over our £15 we were politely told..."no it's free tonight, thanks for coming"

MUSIC POLICY - Quality 60's mid tempo seemed to be the format for the night with a splattering of 60's uptempo and 70's crossover. What struck me was the quality of the sounds that I didn't actually know, indeed over the three hours we were there I would suggest that 25% of what was played we new stuff to me.

BEST DJ SPOT - normally at most venues we attend there is always one jock who sticks out, either do to who he is OR the tunes he's carrying. It was so refreshing that not one jock stood out which is testament to just how good the night was musically.

BEST RECORD PLAYED - actually 2, Mick Donnelley's Billy Preston-The Girls Got It, been going to doos for 25 years and I have NEVER heard that record before, unbelievable Northern Soul. Paul Donnelley's Cathy and the Calendars on Port (didn't catch the title) fantastic!!!

COMPLAINTS - How can you when you've been given a free night however the sound system needs looking at (feed back problems) suggest putting speakers on 2M tripods

OVERVIEW - An eye opener for sure and proved beyond doubt that it IS what's in the groove that counts, a very friendly crowd who were there for all the right reasons ie the music.How many venues have you attended where a dj can play The Hyperions on Chattahochie followed by The Tymes - Miss Grace and keep the dance floor busy, well done Paul Donnelley.

Then the icing on the cake, as we left a sincere thank you from the promoter who gave us a CD of chill out toons to play on the way home, which started with a thank you for attending and the next night will be June 22nd, will we be attending? You betcha.

MARKS....8/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos and a promoters perspective later, too everyone who made the effort to attend a big thank you

Cya PD

Edited by PaulDonnelly

Guest gibber

Well done lads .A very enjoyable evening with top people. Good music

As already stated a good crowd . Len , Pottsy, Tony Parker, Mike B and Phil Rains all huddled in a corner chatting away. Good to see Nogsy , Dave, Steve Jay and the modern crew ,Gill looking well, ,your daughters got great taste in music. Becky nice spot :unsure: ,Russ , The Hitchin and Cambridge mob plus many more. All guests as well nice thought lads .

Like the Dont like Pizza tee shirts. comment on me having my passport stamped ,it as been a while Smudge, nice to see you again mate.

Nice one

Andy/gibber/Benny answer to any or the fat blokes on the dance floor again . as on friday night :unsure: .

well done to the promoters what a great first night , good venue ,crowd ,and music policy . i stopped going to venues in the northants/peterborough area about 3-4 years ago as i found them all so predictable and boring and couldnt understand why so many just wanted to hear the same stuff regurgitated over and over again . theres so many great underplayed 60s/70s records that can and should be played it was so refreshing to be with a likeminded crowd and with the guests being kitch and dean anderson at the next night in june this venue can only go from strength to strengh :unsure::unsure:

Edited by Tony Parker
Guest MickD

This promoting lark ain't all it's cracked up to be is it. In fact it can take the shine off something that would otherwise be a top night out, and why because you get that bloody wound up about how the night is going to pan out you forget to do that which is most important. Namely to bloody well enjoy it for what it is.

And what was it? It was a different kettle of fish, different for Peterborough any way. If I was to be honest the birth of the DKOF has not been without it's complications and the first night had taken what seemed like an age to arrive, but it finally arrived, and as we stood up on the stage it was clear to all of us that none of us knew how the night was to progress, playing forgotten, ignored, obscure and underplayed soul records isn't to everyone's tastes and our target audience although dedicated was quite small. We concluded that forty or fifty through the door and we could gauge the night a success .

I kicked off with a few seventies things before being joined up on stage by Becky Cousins. Me and Becky doubled decked for a while before I left her to her own devices. Becky seemed to really enjoy the freedom of playing what the hell she liked from her box of goodies, which was nice to see . At ten Ray Mahoney stepped up to take control of the knobs and dials and played a blinder. By this time the place was standing room only, and that buzz that accompanies a good night was developing nicely. At 11 Paul came on and did what Paul does best , he always does a good job and lastly Bob the suit Mawson stopped hiding behind the stage curtains and came out to finish off the night at a blistering pace.

The feedback we got from those who took the time to attend was most welcome and appreciated it's great to see ones efforts come to fruition in such a positive manner but it's better to see people really enjoying music that rarely gets the attention it deserves .. And it was this that made it for me.

Officially we got got close on ninety through the doors, although I think a few "sneaked" in once the door had been abandoned, this figure blew our original estimates out of the water and once and for all put paid to the notion that Peterborough still isn't ready for something like this. As I write this piece I am grinning from ear to ear knowing that the doubting Thomas's will already be putting pen to paper claiming how it was first night fluke or some such: but we did it.. and we intend to do it again .. and again.. as long a people are still willing to come along and listen to something a little different

Finally thanks to all who took the time to pop down and experience the DKOF at first hand, especially those that travelled ,the lads anbd lasses from St Ives, Cambridge, Hitchin, Bedford, Kings Lynn, Spalding, Huntingdon, Wisbech and not fogettting Peterborough .. All in all a great first night, which can only get better: trust me :-)

Piccys of the night to follow shortly

Edited by MickD

Great night lads - the sounds, the company and the chat were all there in bundles :unsure: Soul miles to get there was and back was just under 250 for me but well worth it - looking forward to the next one :unsure:

Keep at it

Mike Bolderson

Just to echo what others have said, nice little venue, good crowd of friendly people and excellent music! :thumbsup:

I enjoyed it from start to finish, so perhaps unfair to single anybody out but I thought Bob's uptempo 60s stuff was outstanding.

Congratulations to all involved, I know you put a lot of effort into making it work.

Look forward to seeing Bob and Mick at Restless next Saturday.

Guest andycambs

To anyone who missed this do, you misssed out big time! The last time I went to the "Dog" I turned round just after the bridge on account of the car park being full of coppers and D.S Bullock, lucky to be late on that night I think.

Last fiday was diffrent, very diffrent in fact, don't think the venue has changed much but the music was out of this world, IMO anyway, this was probably the first soul night i've been to in years and seventy percent of the tunes were new to me, so the event certainly lived up to its name for me. Anyone thinking its just another P'boro playing it safe oldies night, you couldn't be more wrong, and if thats not enough, FREE ENTRY, I felt guilty for having such a great nite and paying bugger all for it. I missed Bob's set and the play list looks real nice, but Becky made it for me by playing something I've had on tape for near on twenty years and never knowing who it was by, and now I just have to save up and buy it, so Becky, you're a star :thumbsup:

Anyway, well done to everyone concerned, I think you are on to a winner, and thanks for a brillant night out.

Andy

Well done to everyone involved in this promotion the night was a genuine triumph for you all in the face of adversity you have undoubltedly proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that your concept is a very sound one :thumbsup::unsure::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Im sure this event will grow from strength to strength.

Steve

Well done to everyone involved in this promotion the night was a genuine triumph for you all in the face of adversity you have undoubltedly proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that your concept is a very sound one :thumbsup::(:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Im sure this event will grow from strength to strength.

Steve

Message From Bob.

Sorry I cant post reply as my computers died...again

Many , many thanks for all the kind words and for all who attended the 1st night.

A lot of hard work has been put in by the DKOF team Paul , Mick ,Ray & myself and your enthusiasm and support has made this all worth while.

Once again , my heartfelt thanks !

Hopefully you can attend the next event in June where Notts DJs Dean Anderson & Kitch will be guesting.

Watch this space ....as they say

Kindest Regards

R

Guest Perry

A good time was had by all from Kings Lynn, great venue, great sounds and nice to catch up with a few old mates....Ady, Tony, Paul etc, it would be good to see some of you guys at the Dukes Head in Kings Lynn on Sat June 16th where I will definately trying to play something a bit different. Anyway looking forward to the next one with Dean and Kitch, wonder if Frank will be coming with them, I'll have to give him a bell.

A good time was had by all from Kings Lynn, great venue, great sounds and nice to catch up with a few old mates....Ady, Tony, Paul etc, it would be good to see some of you guys at the Dukes Head in Kings Lynn on Sat June 16th where I will definately trying to play something a bit different. Anyway looking forward to the next one with Dean and Kitch, wonder if Frank will be coming with them, I'll have to give him a bell.

I certainley hope Frank can attend

It would be great to see him again....

I,ll try & get a message to him also

Regards

R

Guest becky c

To anyone who missed this do, you misssed out big time! The last time I went to the "Dog" I turned round just after the bridge on account of the car park being full of coppers and D.S Bullock, lucky to be late on that night I think.

Last fiday was diffrent, very diffrent in fact, don't think the venue has changed much but the music was out of this world, IMO anyway, this was probably the first soul night i've been to in years and seventy percent of the tunes were new to me, so the event certainly lived up to its name for me. Anyone thinking its just another P'boro playing it safe oldies night, you couldn't be more wrong, and if thats not enough, FREE ENTRY, I felt guilty for having such a great nite and paying bugger all for it. I missed Bob's set and the play list looks real nice, but Becky made it for me by playing something I've had on tape for near on twenty years and never knowing who it was by, and now I just have to save up and buy it, so Becky, you're a star :D

Anyway, well done to everyone concerned, I think you are on to a winner, and thanks for a brillant night out.

Andy

Thankyou ever so much for that. I'm glad you liked it :thumbsup:

I really did have a great time DJing, after I finally got over my nerves anyway!

It was fantastic to be asked to be a part of something like this and I will definately be coming down to the next one. It really was a great night.

Thanks guys :wicked:

Becky

Edited by becky c
Guest andycambs

Thankyou ever so much for that. I'm glad you liked it :wicked:

I really did have a great time DJing, after I finally got over my nerves anyway!

It was fantastic to be asked to be a part of something like this and I will definately be coming down to the next one. It really was a great night.

Thanks guys :D

Becky

Your very welcome, and you have nothing to be nervous about, you were great.

Andy

Guest MickD

Sounds like my kinda place , I will make a massive effort to get to the next one.

MAK ... You'll be more than welcome to join us :D

Guest stivessoulie

Just wanted to say a HUGE thankyou to Paul, Mick and Ray for putting this night on.......I REALLY enjoyed it and it was good to catch up with old friends, highlight for me was Becky playing Sugar and the Spices for Nige, Bob playing The Cashmeres, Ray playing The Caesars and yes Paul playing The Tymes......already looking forward to the next one :shades: be my birthday celebration too....hic!

Well done lads .A very enjoyable evening with top people. Good music

As already stated a good crowd . Len , Pottsy, Tony Parker, Mike B and Phil Rains all huddled in a corner chatting away. Good to see Nogsy , Dave, Steve Jay and the modern crew ,Gill looking well, ,your daughters got great taste in music. Becky nice spot :shades: ,Russ , The Hitchin and Cambridge mob plus many more. All guests as well nice thought lads .

Like the Dont like Pizza tee shirts. comment on me having my passport stamped ,it as been a while Smudge, nice to see you again mate.

Nice one

Andy/gibber/Benny answer to any or the fat blokes on the dance floor again . as on friday night :shades: .

as andy said, nice to see so many well known soulies that wouldnt normally venture into

peterborough, a excellent night musicly with a sprinkle of some forgotten classics mixed in,

nice venue, just about the right amount of people in, excellent local djs playing off original

format!!!

thanks for an fantastic night lads

russ

well done to the promoters what a great first night , good venue ,crowd ,and music policy . i stopped going to venues in the northants/peterborough area about 3-4 years ago as i found them all so predictable and boring and couldnt understand why so many just wanted to hear the same stuff regurgitated over and over again . theres so many great underplayed 60s/70s records that can and should be played it was so refreshing to be with a likeminded crowd and with the guests being kitch and dean anderson at the next night in june this venue can only go from strength to strengh :thumbsup::(

thanks Tony. nice to see you again...sorry to remind you of the Teresa story :(

one lump or two?

FIAT149.jpg.xs.jpg

as andy said, nice to see so many well known soulies that wouldnt normally venture into

peterborough, a excellent night musicly with a sprinkle of some forgotten classics mixed in,

nice venue, just about the right amount of people in, excellent local djs playing off original

format!!!

thanks for an fantastic night lads

russ

Just wanted to add much of the same - Great Relaxed Atmosphere - Great music, particularly enjoyed Ray Mhoney's set. There's defo a market for these kind of nights. Nice to see lots of people I ain't seen for years!!! - See you at the next one.

Len.

"SILK" Rare Soul Nights Midland Road, Wellingborough Northants NN8 1HF NEXT RARE SOUL NIGHT Saturday 25th August 2007 GUEST DJS. FOR THE NIGHT- DAVE THORLEY, ROGER BANKS, PETE BURTON- PLUS RESIDENT LENNY DOPSON-FOR INFO CONTACT LEN 07970 361216 EMAIL len@ldfabrications.co.uk

Soul and inspiration......it's the way forward and the future for sure, i've taken a few of the selections from all the playlists and will be spotlighting the venue on the show in the next few weeks certainly leading up to your June date, should make for an excellent show and perhaps a new feature for the 'Soul Shack' www.solarradio.com to not only mention various venues but actually play some of the music featured, good luck with all your future nights.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Just a quicky.....i will be featuring 'Different Kettle Of Fish' venue spotlight 'Soul And Inspiration' feature on the show to be broadcast on Sunday May 27th, Paul asked me when this will be going out so there you go, full details will be given out, examples of records played etc etc. hope you all enjoy it www.solarradio.com

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell