Soulshakers Another Oh So Soulful Night

Just got out of bed, after another great night of soulful toons. Room 1 was perfect from the first disc dropped by Ali and John, too Sam killer final set.

Ali and John played out of their socks pulling out delightful crossover tunes and cool 70's shufflers, including the ever popular Wee and a great track by the O'Jays which I've now forgotten but I'm sure they can add to this.

Malayka, followed with yet more crossover magic and 70's soulful winners, pulling out the Ed Summers-I can tell and Brand New-1000 years to the delight of the room plus her Chester Rosewood C/U.

I then had a little whirl on the wheels of steel, the room loved the Ty Karim-You really made it good to me, Al Mason-Good lovin and Little Ruben also played by Sam later. A supprised to the room and me was the packed floor to Yate/Mecca classic Overture-Mircale Workers.

An hour flew by as Ady Pountain took over and kept the floor busy with a cool across the board set including indemand tracks Ice and Mixed Emotion plus classics like the Yum Yums.

Arthur Fenn then stepped up to the mic and delivered an hour and a half of what can only be discribed as, 'One of the best sets heard any where in many a day', not my words but that of many in the room. So not to do him a dis-service I'm sure Arthur or Maria will put up a selection of this great set later.

The night was brought to a close with Sam doing another hour and a half of one magic tune after another. "I get such a buzz doing this place", Sam said to me at one point. Robert Tanner, followed New World which in turn followed Mr Clean.

Room 2, not to be out done delivered a nice mix of contempary soulful dance, jazzy vibes, a smattering of 80's classic and the odd left field tune.

Steve lloyd got things off to a fine start, by all accounts, I say buy all accounts as I was sat on the door, but those up there loved his set, play list please Steve.

Meg Willshire, followed on playing soulful dance and samba rhythms. A lady that should be getting more booking around the country, always delivering a fresh set.

Mark Randle then pleased the room with his blend of hot biscuits, soulful house and classic R&B including Sounds Of Blackness and by the time he finished he had a great vibe going on in the room to hand over to Gavin Page.

Gav did what only he does best, blending together soul, jazzy rhythms and left field suprises. Johnnie Taylor-What about my love to Soul Crusaders and out of left field Jo Ann Garrett-Whole new plan

Each room is now forming it's own identity with the fantastic support of the regular dj's. While the mix of european and UK guest give it an extra sparkle. We all appreciate the loyal support we have been getting from those that attend and their fantastic feed back. So see you all again on June 2nd, to do it all again.

Get along you won't be disappointed, also we welcome as guests Steve Plumb and Flanny doing a hour and half joint set, 7 hours of great soul all for the great price of £7.50 :unsure:

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Replies 19
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Really pleased you had a good night Dave , if it hadn't been on the same date as our event in Banbury ,I'd have def. been there .Hope to see you soon mate ,Best ,Eddie

Hi Eddie

Know waht you mean in your thread about busy events calendar. But just have to stick with it, if you believe in your event. Hope we catch up soon :unsure:

As You say Dave another cracking night. It was lovely to celebrate Ali's birthday with her.

Arthur played a very eclectic set with some outstanding choonage.

Have uploaded my attempts at playing David Bailey into the gallery

Thanks to a certain friend for pointing out I was spacially inept & generally most photo's have toooo much ceiling showing lol :unsure:

Here's to the next one

Just got out of bed, after another great night of soulful toons. Room 1 was perfect from the first disc dropped by Ali and John, too Sam killer final set.

Ali and John played out of their socks pulling out delightful crossover tunes and cool 70's shufflers, including the ever popular Wee and a great track by the O'Jays which I've now forgotten but I'm sure they can add to this.

Nah, that wasn't us. We didn't play Wee (makes a change :unsure: ) although Mr Fenn included it in his brilliant set later on that evening. A record so fantastic and uplifting it is better suited to an appreciative dance floor and we were merely warming up.

We rarely get round to posting playlists, but we really enjoyed our set last night, inc some old school 70's northern & even threw some 60's in LOL - so here goes.

YBS - I could love but one boy - Ariola

Stan Ivory - Come live with me - Tese

Gil Scott Heron - Legend in his own mind - Arista

Patti & The Lovelites - Oh My Love - Love Lite

Jo Armstead - There's not too many more (left like him) - Giant

Betty Lloyd - You say things you don't mean - BSC

The Lovelites - My Concsience - Love lite

Mamie Galore - You wore your lie so well - Imperial

Masterpiece - Love Affair - Ypsi

The Millionaires - And the rains came - Speciality

Percy and Them - Look in the mirror of my eyes - Roulette

ZZ & Co - Gettin ready for the get down - Columbus

Leon Bryant - Just the way you like it - Delite

Chuck Jackson - Just a little tear - Probe

Johnny Baker - Shy Guy - Fog City

O Jays - Shiftless Shady Jealous Kinda people - PIR

Deon Jackson - Love makes the world go round - Atlantic

The Poets - Stuck on you - Red Bird

21st Century - Shadow of a memory - DOT

Harvey Averne Doz - Central Park - Uptite

The Jaedes - Uh Uh What did I do - Athena

Spartans - I don't need another lover - Era

Jobell Orc - Never gonna let you go - Jan

Darrow Fletcher - What good am I without you - Jacklyn

Thanks to everyone that made my birthday such a brilliant night - god I have got a sore head today and piggy red eyes !

Best night so far D&M - musically this venue is pushing all the right buttons. Dancefloor still bouncing even after the supposed last record had been played. I told Arthur that I'll hold him personally responsible if John need a hip replacement - he didn't get off the floor during his set :unsure:

Ali

I'll post up a few pics when I've uploaded them.

Edited by alison

Nah, that wasn't us. We didn't play Wee (makes a change :thumbsup: ) although Mr Fenn included it in his brilliant set later on that evening. A record so fantastic and uplifting it is better suited to an appreciative dance floor and we were merely warming up.

We rarely get round to posting playlists, but we really enjoyed our set last night, inc some old school 70's northern & even threw some 60's in LOL - so here goes.

Thanks to everyone that made my birthday such a brilliant night - god I have got a sore head today and piggy red eyes !

Best night so far D&M - musically this venue is pushing all the right buttons. Dancefloor still bouncing even after the supposed last record had been played. I told Arthur that I'll hold him personally responsible if John need a hip replacement - he didn't get off the floor during his set :unsure:

Ali

Thanks for all your support this weekend and last. Great set from you both :thumbsup:

Arthur Fenn then stepped up to the mic and delivered an hour and a half of what can only be discribed as, 'One of the best sets heard any where in many a day', not my words but that of many in the room. So not to do him a dis-service I'm sure Arthur or Maria will put up a selection of this great set later.

He's not on Soul Source mate, so he'll email you off his own computer

I'll love to help, but I wasn't listening :unsure:

Another good night for Dave & Malayka - especially chuffed when Ady played Halo and that sweetie man saying thank you. Interesting to see the dj's challenged and pulling out some surprises too. After a big week, I didn't think I'd be up for another allniter this weekend, but glad I went.

And thanks for the champagne Ali ...Sam's right that you looked 16 in those plaits :thumbsup:

m

ps. 'Vegitmite' - please take that vegemite jar off your avatar, coz our local Morrisons doesn't stock it anymore and I've been gagging for it since my last visit home recently :thumbsup:

Edited by Maria O

Best night so far D&M - musically this venue is pushing all the right buttons. Dancefloor still bouncing even after the supposed last record had been played. I told Arthur that I'll hold him personally responsible if John need a hip replacement - he didn't get off the floor during his set :thumbsup:

Ali

Great playlist Ali , some superb choices there , oh , and happy birthday !! Best ,Eddie

Another superb night musically, and a few more through the door.................all credit to the Thorley's (sounds good that, dunnit??) for sticking with this event.

The new £7.50 admission price may help in getting more in..............it is a difficult thing when you hit that psycological barrier that is the £10 entrance fee, especially when it's not an all night session. However, I don't think people realise how much it can cost to put these events on!!

Anyway, here's my contribution for the night............could always do with longer as always get home with lots of new bits unplayed!! Oh well! And you were close with SOB Dave, it was Ann Nesby:

10:20pm - 11:35pm

Randolph - Believer

Gil Small feat. Laurone McClendon - Heaven

7 Sons of Soul - Heaven

Karl Frierson - Ten Minutes (request)

Gerald Levert - Wanna Get Up With You

Miguel Migs - Mesmerised (Alix Alvarez Sole Channel Extended Vox)

White Lotus Society - Got It (Live Vocal)

Ian Friday pres. Anto Vitale - Theorema Del Faya

Raw Artistic Soul - In Their Eyes

Incognito - Everyday

Kirk Franklin - September

Black Box - Fall Into My Love

Mario Biondi & The High Five Quintet - This Is What You Are (request)

Metropolitan Jazz Affair - Find A Way

Aretha Franklin - Wonderful

Ann Nesby - In The Spirit

Al Green - Keep On Pushing Love

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R

Another superb night musically, and a few more through the door.................all credit to the Thorley's (sounds good that, dunnit??) for sticking with this event.

As I've said a few times Mark, this such a good venue and line up, got to stick with it. But was a good nite mate :D . So get along on the 2nd june and see what you've been missing

Play list

Bill Brandon-Streets got my lady

Guitar Ray-You're gonna wreck my life

Ty Karin-Ain't that love enough

Charles Mitz-Running back

Little Reuben-In the name of loneliness

Lonnie Hill-Galveston bay

Miracle Workers-Overture

Gino Washington and the Davis Sisters-I'm so in love

Al Mason-Good lovin'

King Of Soul-Is your love for me

Dells-All up to you

Chosen Few-Birth of a playboy

Young Divines-Aint that sharp

Jewel-Paradise

Florence Trapp-Love came into my life

Paris-Sleepless nights

Stemmons Express-Woman love thief

Masquaders-Thats the same thing

Houston Outlaws-Aint no telling

Dave Blocker-My life been dark skies

BIG APOLOGIES FOR NOT BEING WITH SUCH GOOD FRIENDS ON SATURDAY, THINGS WENT A BIT AWRY I'M AFRAID..HOPE TO SEE Y'ALL VERY SOON !!!!!!!!!!!! SORRY ALI HOPE IT WAS A BRILL NIGHT !!!!

CnC

Yes your absence was noted in the school register and we will be expecting a note from your mum at the next one :thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Thorley
Guest Craig the Manc

You really must get down to this event.

Top music and lovely people working their butt's off to promote a very enjoyable night.

Dave & Malayka keep up the good work.

:rolleyes:

*Vegi.... spacially inept....NEVER :lol: LOL

Edited by Craig the Manc

You really must get down to this event.

Top music and lovely people working their butt's off to promote a very enjoyable night.

Dave & Malayka keep up the good work.

:thumbsup:

*Vegi.... spacially inept....NEVER :wicked: LOL

Thanks for your kind words, next one June 2nd. How would you peeps out there feel if we changed it from 8pm-3am to 9pm-6am and made it more of an allnighter ?

Following all your kind words here's the next installment

Here we go again, the next night at the critically acclaimed Soulshakers @ Solihull FC.

We are proud to announce messers Plumb and Flanny are to join us on june 2nd for a damn fine night of soul music and high jinks.

8pm-3am

Ably supported by

Arthur Fenn, Ady Pountain, Gavin Page, Mark Randle, Ali & John, Dave Thorley, Malayka, Meg Wilshire, Steve Lloyd.

All in two great rooms playing the very best in 60's/70's soulful winners and Contemporary soul. All for the small charge of £7.50 on the door

See you there :thumbsup:

Following all your kind words here's the next installment

Here we go again, the next night at the critically acclaimed Soulshakers @ Solihull FC.

We are proud to announce messers Plumb and Flanny are to join us on june 2nd for a damn fine night of soul music and high jinks.

8pm-3am

Ably supported by

Arthur Fenn, Ady Pountain, Gavin Page, Mark Randle, Ali & John, Dave Thorley, Malayka, Meg Wilshire, Steve Lloyd.

All in two great rooms playing the very best in 60's/70's soulful winners and Contemporary soul. All for the small charge of £7.50 on the door

See you there :sleep3:

WHY DID I THINK IT WAS WEEK AFTER..LOSING MY MIND DAVE :thumbsup: ANYWAY NOW I KNOW !!! I'LL WRITE IT ON MY FOREHEAD!!