Leicester Oddfellows

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody hell this is a on going thread or what....:hatsoff2: ....And im so glad it is, .....one of the best niters i went to.....did them all if i remember right...Glad im still about on the scene....just...:thumbup: .....still doing my Jazzy moves everywhere i go........if there is room on the floor,,shades ....Get more pics on here anyone......wish i had some to post up.......damm it, i was to busy dancing......:innocent: ........was only talking to a chap i met sat at the wicksteed park , help for heroes dayer , and yes leic odd, came up........love it.......HOPEFULLY one day we will all meet up ......it must happen soon. As each year there are less of us around........not good......oh, the good old days....and they were, we just did,nt know it at the time......funkymartyn........see you out on the floor somewhere........say hi to me, ......

Social source share

Guest Stamford Scooter

Hi All,

New to the forum and have just picked up on this thread, I'm hoping it is still active. I was at the second anniversary and have lost my copy of the video produced on the night, I've followed the links to other sites to try and get a copy but with no luck. Does anyone have a copy they can copy for me or drop it to DVD? Any expenses paid, of course :D .

Thanks.

Al

Al

if you google milton keynes mercenairy scooter club, follow the link on face book, go to their video section and the very dvd is there to down load or watch .Simples

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Ha Ha!!Thanks for that, great pics

regards

Dave

Jane Wilcoxson got in touch with me yesterday (yes I know we both live in Rugby...rolleyes.gif)

She's dumped the Poet and is coming to the next Rugby all-niter...god it's gunna get messy...thumbup.gif

She's asked me to pm you her contact details and wants to get hold of Colin Bonam too.

Not sure if anyone can help with Colin, I know he comes down to Rugby sometimes but don't have any contact details.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest woznotwos

Does anybody out there remember LEICESTER ODFELLOWS allniter??

I can't believe the amount of people that look at me like i've lost the plot when i ask if they went there!!

Ok ..... lost the plot years ago ..... but this was a MASSIVE NITER & can't understand why nobody ever mentions it!

i was 15 and used to lie that i was going round my mates house for the nightwhen they first started ,never missed one , my fave allnighter and has a place in my heart...............wish it could get revived.

Social source share

Guest woznotwos

I do Joan because i was the third person to join the CENTRAL England Soul Club, which organised the leicester niters.the first niter was held at a venue across the road from the Leicester bus station on my 21st birthday it was also my sis Viki's first niter as well.I think they only had a couple of dos there before moving to the Oddfellows venue,I agree, a very underated all-niter,btw bumped into Ally Mayer at the Kettering Dayer recently thumbsup.gif : biggrin.gif Delx

hahaha remember it it was an old bed warehouse and it had just closed down i think , awesome night that....

Social source share

Guest woznotwos

Mm - I think you maybe right. He entered most of em!

The guy called pete won it in grey bottoms and topless on the youtube video , sure he was from beaumont leys in leicester or am i dreaming , gah!!

and does anyone remember the smash hits article on the same night . Had the centre spread full of glossy pics , though it annoyed a lot of people i think!!:laugh::yes:

Social source share

Al

try these 1984 especially the last one!

Enjoy

Mark

30 seconds in on clip 4 there's me in white with blondish hair with a very young Barry May in the Grey Tshirt and glasses

Dont remember how we got there or how we got home suppose it would have been round to Gaz Keen's or Steve Ferris's for breakfast !!!!

Social source share

Guest soulsisterjane

Just did in the previous post on here about looking for an old friend.

great venue, always got good crowds, and mixed the tunes up wonderfully. Also I could tell mum and dad I was going to a club run by the Reverend Tony Clayton !!

Social source share

Guest soulsisterjane

Hiya Soul Sister Jane here

I was there at the Oddfellows! Did anyone attend the first two which was held at the Electric Theatre?

For me The Nottingham Oddfellows niters were the BEST!!!!!!!

Brilliant venue, Brilliant D.J's, Brilliant atmosphere, Brilliant dance floor, Brilliant Soulies, Brilliant memories..........

I used to hang around with the Leicester crew....Colin Bonham Dave Wheeler Alan Greaves Mud Daz Dakin Marina Andy Skelson Mike Pope Wayne Emery to name but a few!

Thanks to Ali for organising it all x Thanks to all the D.J.s x Thanks to all the Soulies x Thanks for the memories xx

Still keeping the faith

Soul sister Jane

xxx

Social source share

The guy called pete won it in grey bottoms and topless on the youtube video , sure he was from beaumont leys in leicester or am i dreaming , gah!!

and does anyone remember the smash hits article on the same night . Had the centre spread full of glossy pics , though it annoyed a lot of people i think!!laugh.gifyes.gif

Is this what you're talking about??

post-9076-12717848584205_thumb.jpg

post-9076-1271784881931_thumb.jpg

Mick

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this what you're talking about??

Mick

Thanks for posting this link mick.....did,nt even see or know about it , till mate mark randal told me about it last nite......funny thing the chap we were talking to at the time is in the bottom right of the page..........BRETT, ..now hinckley way......burbage orig.....thumbsup.gif ......top geezer....not got any contact info for him at the min, but anyone who sees him before i next will in oct......Tell him about this thread, ok.......

One last thing....how many of us are left .......and when can we have a niter to bring us all back together.............

SOULSISTERJANE.....yes i went to the early niters also.....near the bus station.......Crap concrete dancefloor.......Bloody glad they moved to the oddfellows........see you all out on the dance floor somewhere out there........im still loving it and doing it.........cheers all.......funky martyn.(leic)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

It's February the 18th 1983 and this tender young 18 year old from Shrewsbury has arrived with my mate Carl Heaps at the first Annivesary Allnighter of the Central England Soul Club at the Nottingham Oddfellows Club Humberstone Gate Leicester. Chris King's on the decks and Rev Tony Claytion getting everything prepped for the dance competition. "Can someone find Adam and bring him up on the stage please and even if he's downstairs"

Chris King is playing a live version of Edwin Starr's Time recorded at Hinckley a few weeks before and plugging The Live Rictic Revue Album recorded at Hinckley which was never to come out.The Reverand thanks Chris King for his donation of raffle prizes and annuonces the raffle will be drawn straight after the dance competion.Oh it takes me back...just found an old C90 cassette I recorded that night, thought I'd better record for soul source for prosperity...happy times! I feel 18 again!

Part one

Part two

Were you there too?

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Guest soulmanvirgin

I'd love a copy of the 2nd Anniversary video if anyone is willing to copy it - I'll pay of course... am on it looking ridiculous (I remember thinking that then, Christ knows how bad I will look now biggrin.gif )

Remember getting legged by skinheads that night and a group kicking a load of scooters over.

I was there that night. Remember it like it was yesterday. My first nighter was OddFellows then Hinckley, Loughborough, Stafford, Buzzard, Briilant days. 60s Newies, Keb, Guy, Ali Mayer, Evison, .

Heart Attack days to much excess so you hit the note perfect when you danced.biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest soulmanvirgin

For me this was my first real nighter after graduating from Lacarno Alldayers,

Used to dance in front of stage. right side as you look at it. Then often spent time behind stage with Rod Pickle Jason and Co. And the crew from Cheltenham. My favorite Nighter of all time. as i never got to Wigan as looked to young so did not waste my time.

60,s newies were where it was at. Joan my mate used to go out with you i think. Miles Prouse.

Fond memories of local doos in the same area. Market Harbourgh. Stafford, Hinckley.

Wish i had a camera in them days.:yes::D

Social source share

Guest soulmanvirgin

I can't believe the amount of people that look at me like i've lost the plot when i ask if they went there!!

Ok ..... lost the plot years ago ..... but this was a MASSIVE NITER & can't understand why nobody ever mentions it!

I was there Joan. Think you used to see my mate,, Miles Prouse. Can you remember.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest AlanGreaves

I was there Joan. Think you used to see my mate,, Miles Prouse. Can you remember.

Would Miles be a young chap from cheltenham / gloucester way who used to hang around with robin sue woody etc from Loughborough if so i knew him ......

Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest leicester80s

hi how years have gone by blimey 80-s what a allnighter great mix off sounds catered for every one ! big hi to leicester scooter lads

dave wheeler andy tedd etc daz andy newman what happened to panda? great memorirs and dancing and a great time

chad [ ray]

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Joan,i rememeber you at my nights at the Barrel organ in 85 and Notts palais/bali hai room the same year.

The leicester oddfellows dancewas so packed(sardines) ,Joan, you were at all the big niters back then.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to let you all know there is an Oddfellows reunion booked in Leicester at the original Nottingham Oddfellows Club venue that the nighters were held at in the 1980's. The date is bank holiday Sunday May 25th 2014, and it will run from 8pm - 2am in 3 rooms (although we are trying to start from 5pm -  to allow everybody to catch up early doors but are waiting to have that confirmed.) To date 6 original DJ's are booked with a little bit more to do in that area. Finalised details will be posted up soon regarding tickets and confirmed times etc. The challenge will be to connect with all of the guys who used to attend and make them aware of the event as the numbers allowed in by the club are a lot less than what I expect will want to attend. I will update S.S. over the next week or so, but please PM me, email me; ally.mayer@pyrint.com or call 07971 596679, if you have any questions, regards  Ally Mayer

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

Does anybody know/remember the name of the "Scooter-Guy" from the west midlands,who djay'd at the Oddfellows ? :g:

Thanks if you can ! :hatsoff2:

(It's been drivin' me daft trying to recall his name... :unsure: even Rudzi can't remember him :ohmy:)

Social source share

Was it Clive Jones? I'm not 100% certain he was on but we did have a policy of changing guest DJ's every month. Clive had a great collection and was a popular DJ back then.

Ally

My immediate thought was Clive Jones, but I didn't recall him DJ'ing at Oddfellows.

Ally, gotta ask you.....was your stall just inside the indoor market called "Oddity Records"?  It's so long ago that I can't recall exactly, but used to love visits to Leicester to your stall and Rudzi's place!  Lot's of my early 45's, and possibly LP's, came from you guys!  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

With mad blond bits in his hair oh and wore a huge crombie

Can't remember Curley having blond bits; probably best way you'd remember him is that he would had a quid out of you at some point  :D

If you watch the Oddfellows vid he's one of the black guys in the dance comp. 

Social source share

Can't remember Curley having blond bits; probably best way you'd remember him is that he would had a quid out of you at some point  :D

If you watch the Oddfellows vid he's one of the black guys in the dance comp. 

And a fag whilst he was counting the quid!

Ay up Byrney - hope yer well mate.

Peter

Social source share

Yes when i said blond i meant gingery bits yes used to share medicinal compounds with him at oddfellows and hinkley a good lad indeed had some top laughs with my mate addie and him he used to dance like a cat about to spring a real prowler , is he still around allways tried to persuade him to come to the 100 club he never did ,

talking of notts does any one remember seven inch sid , (no nothing to do with the size of his appendage ) used to go to notts palay

Social source share

Joan,i rememeber you at my nights at the Barrel organ in 85 and Notts palais/bali hai room the same year.The leicester oddfellows dancewas so packed(sardines) ,Joan, you were at all the big niters back then.

Hi ya :wave:

I was like a bad smell back then, still am lol

Definitely up for a reunion, nice one Ally

ps: anyone remember Jimmy Elder?

Social source share

well know old tony ( curley ) cerlew well one of notts brighter characters lol we travelled every  where together back then massive Nottingham posse  .ALI  WILL MR DARGE BE IN ATTENDANCE ????? be good to see him back behind the oddfellow decks along with MR RUSHBROOK :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  
Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

Was it Clive Jones? I'm not 100% certain he was on but we did have a policy of changing guest DJ's every month. Clive had a great collection and was a popular DJ back then.

Ally

Thanks a bunch :hatsoff2: yeah,that was him. An absolute top,top,NS-collector guy.No pretentiousness with him.He was friendly,modest,and played every request I asked for.He had the best collection of TOP RARE NS I ever seen in my humble life.And it was a real pleasure to meet him and look in awe through his boxes.He was an avid British collector though,and sadly kept going on about his latest (Brit) aquisitions,I can't recall now what they were,he had a box load -but I recall his northern all right...as JM would say : "JAW-DROPPING" :ohmy: and awsome beyond belief.He had everything.Whatever happened to him? How often was he on at the Odds? I only saw him that one time there.But I have never forgotten,and I never will. :no:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!