Leicester Oddfellows

Thanks a bunch :hatsoff2: yeah,that was him. An absolute top,top,NS-collector guy.No pretentiousness with him.He was friendly,modest,and played every request I asked for.He had the best collection of TOP RARE NS I ever seen in my humble life.And it was a real pleasure to meet him and look in awe through his boxes.He was an avid British collector though,and sadly kept going on about his latest (Brit) aquisitions,I can't recall now what they were,he had a box load -but I recall his northern all right...as JM would say : "JAW-DROPPING" :ohmy: and awsome beyond belief.He had everything.Whatever happened to him? How often was he on at the Odds? I only saw him that one time there.But I have never forgotten,and I never will. :no:

Hope nobody minds this here...........not Oddfellows, but I can't resist making someone's day 'cos I know exactly how good it feels myself when someone shares these things..........the following uploaded a few months ago from one of my old tapes..........

https://www.mixcloud.com/soulboymark/hinckley-leisure-centre-all-niter-live-december-1983/

Clive Jones, from 38:42 after Brian Rae to 1:08:16 where Dave Evison takes over.

Enjoy!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

Speedlimit, I've messaged KEB  -waiting to hear back, and trying to get hold of Gary so to anybody out there I would appreciate a Mob number or email for Gary to be PM'd if possible?

Ally

Chris Waterman is in regular contact with Gary., if you can't get hold of either let me know Ally.

Social source share

Guest soulovereasy

Im new to this forum lark so ill expand on my leicester memories. We used to travel from worcester/pershore Ginge, Little John ,and myself .A shout out to the cheltenham lot julie, Bev , Ricky Brown,Myles, Graham and Debbie. My regards to Curly, Tommo and Sandy , John Begni and the rest of the nottingham crew. A special mention to Mark im the one in the snorkel parker Freeman from nuneaton how are ya mate. I also was in the 2nd anniversary video with tommo, curly,Potsy et al in the dance competition, im the one in the grey Grandad shirt nearly oding to "time", im also caught having a stomp to Gladys Knights The Stranger.Anyone remember the fight withthe skinheads whlst in the queue to get in. Favorite sounds Ray Charles No Doctor, Bobby Hebb You want to change me. A quick hello to Jon Buck and Sue remember me from Yate and Leighton buzzard Regards Davec

aye up mr cain how r u pal? u were a brill stomper ! hope u still got the moves?, c u at the reunion atb tommo.

Edited by soulovereasy
Social source share

Guest soulovereasy

Please do...also ..didnt the Record Mirror do an article in 1982/3 about Northern featuring the Oddfellows Club...anybody remember that????...if so can someone post it up please....tia...Delxxxx

ive still got the magazine del they took a big foto of me although I never gave em time for an interview,too busy dancing lol x.

Social source share

Guest soulovereasy

Here you go Karl

yep that's curly alrite class dancer ... mad as a hatter,last time I see him was at a charity do in st ANNS, Nottingham about 3 yrs ago still got it ...

Social source share

Guest soulovereasy

Tall skinny black fella. Always smiling - lovely lad.

Led the line out side Odd Fellows one night when it all kicked off.

Peter

think it was curly? I came a bit later on, curly and shippo RIP was involved along with others as they couldn't wait to tell me lol...

Social source share

think it was curly? I came a bit later on, curly and shippo RIP was involved along with others as they couldn't wait to tell me lol...

Oh it was Curly. :yes:

Yep, Shippo was there too - amongst numerous others. I had a ford capreeee ghia at the time and the same night someone undid me wheel nuts - but that's an entirely different story.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulovereasy

==========

i would love to see tommo again...used to be everywhere in the 80's !

am I spain a the mo but will be back in time for the reunion atb tommo...

Social source share

Guest soulovereasy

yo tommo see ya at the reunion all we need is stevie potts for the dance contest reunion lol

atb steve phillis

look forward steve will be good fun am sure mate ... don't think potties mrs would let him venture out of cotgrave? lol

Social source share

:rofl:  :rofl:

Oh it was Curly. :yes:

Yep, Shippo was there too - amongst numerous others. I had a ford capreeee ghia at the time and the same night someone undid me wheel nuts - but that's an entirely different story.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Yep, that's about right. All over by the time I'd skipped over doing my 18 year old 'football lad' cocky walk 

Social source share

Theres some names from the past. Was at the anniversary with Tommo (Notts) Curley, Lynn from Eastwood, Tommy Cragg, along with a baby faced Kitch, Shippo(RIP), Alf, Jenny .... a good 20 odd mob of Notts lot out that night. I look at myself in the video and I look like a 10 year old with facial hair!!

Also travelled a few times with Tommo to Clifton Hall - one good lad.

I haven't seem Curley for years, again what a lad.

I can remember the kick off before the nighter, an unprovoked attack on the queue as I saw it, it wasn't just skinheads but a mix, some rockabilly types in there if I remember. One lad in a leather trench coat with a tash (I won't go there) was particularly active in dispatching the attackers.

Joan -

Saw Haley at both mine and Kitch's 40th Birthdays and at Teffs wedding -top girl on top form. Woody pops over and sees her from time to time she and the young uns doing fine tongue.png

Just spotted this on said altercation.

think we need Phill Worrell out for this :)

Social source share

Guest soulovereasy

just spent the last hour or so browsing over the messages on here, as its been said already but would like to add my own view, ODD fellows was a fantastic venue,excellant attendance gr8 djs and wonderful crowd,my first trip there was with joanne French and paul whiteman,id not been to an all nighter for about 4/5 yrs,i remember queing up outside and the music blasting out!!! from my first night I fell in love with the place,not too far from Nottingham so nottm soulies always well represented there,am currently out in spain til may as im organising a week of northern soul called IVE GOT SOMETHING GOOD its on the up and coming weekenders page if any of you are interested? anyway really looking forward to seeing ginger dave n dave cain,hopefully mick howard might pop down?i will remember my little pal Kenny RIP, and me mates from Nottingham,long eaton and surrounding areas atb tommo.

Social source share

Yes stacey was totally cool , oddfellows was my favourite nighter loved it and wirrina / st ives as well they were the dogs for me

Hi Karl, You can touch base with Stacey on Facebook via "Sally Stacey" lives in Redditch, from Tewkesbury. Sally is Ian's wife and she has joined the FB tribute page.

Ally

Social source share

• 7 years later...
On 05/07/2005 at 15:44, Guest said:

Im new to this forum lark so ill expand on my leicester memories. We used to travel from worcester/pershore Ginge, Little John ,and myself .A shout out to the cheltenham lot julie, Bev , Ricky Brown,Myles, Graham and Debbie. My regards to Curly, Tommo and Sandy , John Begni and the rest of the nottingham crew. A special mention to Mark im the one in the snorkel parker Freeman from nuneaton how are ya mate. I also was in the 2nd anniversary video with tommo, curly,Potsy et al in the dance competition, im the one in the grey Grandad shirt nearly oding to "time", im also caught having a stomp to Gladys Knights The Stranger.Anyone remember the fight withthe skinheads whlst in the queue to get in. Favorite sounds Ray Charles No Doctor, Bobby Hebb You want to change me. A quick hello to Jon Buck and Sue remember me from Yate and Leighton buzzard 

Edited by DeborahM
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!