Favourite Soul Disco Tunes

Guest cyrus

Guest cyrus

Just wondering what peoples favourite Soul Disco Anthems were? Is disco a dirty word on this forum?

Social source share

• Replies 154
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest geordiebri

Ain't no mountain high enough-Inner life

A brilliant record- Jocelyn Brown at her finest!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Earth Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland

The Emotions - You Got the Best of My Love

Candy Staton - Young Hearts Run Free

I'd even play The Emotions at a soul night, it's a superb record. :thumbsup: Wasn't Candy Staton played at Wigan?

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Right here we go!!!

Inside out-Odyssey

Do It To The Music-Silk

You Cant Hide Your Love-David Joseph

Jump Back-Dhar Braxton

I'll Be A Freak For You-Royalle Delite

Spread Love-Al Hudson

Bring The Family Back-Billy Paul....

that is just for starters...Delxx

Social source share

Here's a few (some of wich more jazz funk than disco-soul)

"Summertime (And I'm Feel Mellow)" - MFSB (PIR)

"Nice 'N' Nasty" - Salsoul Orchestra (Salsoul)

"Soul Bones" - Trammps (Atlantic)

"Stomp" - Brothers Johnson (A&M)

"I Don't Bump No More (With A Big Fat Woman)" - Joe Tex (Epic)

"Ai No Corrida" - Quincy Jones (A&M)

"Give Me The Night" - George Benson (WB)

"Feets Don't Fail Me Now" - Herbie Hancock (CBS)

"You're My Number One" - Paul Hardcastle (don't recall the label; i got it in a UK "Old Gold" compilation)

"Disco Lights" - Dexter Wansel (PIR)

"Jingo" - Candido (Salsoul)

"Dreamin'" - Loleatta Holloway (Salsoul) (Hey, who says disco is a dirty word? there was soulful and infectious gospel in some disco-soul numbers!)

"Stomp & Buck Dance" - Crusaders (ABC - Blue Thumb)

"You Ought To Be Dancing" - (Casablanca)

"Now That We Found Love" - Third World

Social source share

Sorry; I don't check the text before sending and commit some omisions

"You Ought To Be Dancing" is by People's Choice and Third World's reagge cover of O'Jay's NTWFL is on Island records.

Some few more:

"Strut Your Funky Stuff" - Frantique (PIR)

"Your Love Is On The One" - Lakeside (Solar)

"Love Is Coming At Ya" - Melba Moore (Capitol)

"You're The One" - Little Sister (Atlantic) (The Tom Moulton Mix)

"Disco Connection" - Isaac Hayes Movement (ABC - Hot Buttered Soul)

"Give It Up" - The Dramatics (ABC)

"Sing Sing" - Gaz (Salsoul)

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Just wondering what peoples favourite Soul Disco Anthems were? Is disco a dirty word on this forum?

Just a few from me

"Love Sensation" Loleatta Holloway :shades:

"Turn The Beat Around" Vicki Sue Robinson biggrin.gif

"Do You Wanna Dance?" McFadden & Whitehead :shades:

Good Groove Sounds

Social source share

Guest Simon

Sylvester - Over & over

Shalamaar - Take it to the bank

Candi Staton - Nights on Broadway

Gap Band - Burn rubber on me

Simon :dance:

Social source share

Guest jac2209

'I love Music' and 'Ain't no stoppin' us now'

Ten Percent - Double exposure

Trouble Maker - Roberta Kelly

Get down with the Genie - Kool & the Gang

Can't let go - Earth Wind & Fire

and all time fave:You & Me - Slave

:shades:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Earth Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland

The Emotions - You Got the Best of My Love

Candy Staton - Young Hearts Run Free

I'd even play The Emotions at a soul night, it's a superb record. :shades: Wasn't Candy Staton played at Wigan?

Agree with The Emotions Matt but different tune, prefer 'Flowers' myself, great crossover sound i reckon.

Other favs inc ; Al Matthews - Fool , Harold Melvin & Bluenotes - Tell The World How I Feel Abot Cha , Peter Brown - Do You Want To Get Funky, Tavares - Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel , Miracles - Love Machine, Tramps - Soul Searching Time, Tramps - Hooked For Life, Gentlemen & their Lady - Like Her , Lou Rawls - You'll Never Find.

Loads of good uns when you think about it, so NO it's not a dirty word :shades:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

one i've been playing a lot recently is the 12" of marboo what about love

also:

coffee casanova (another one which gets better with every passing year, and i'm sure i remember hearing it at wigan newies niters)

tamiko jones boy you're growing on me

curtis you are, you are/no goodbyes

rare pleasure let me down easy

ashford&simpson it seems to hang on

jackson sisters i believe in miracles

esther williams i'll be your pleasure

alton mclclain&destiny it must be love

but back to the twelves....it's so good to know by best friend around is undisputeably the best disco record ever, period (anyone got an original for a reasonable price?)

Social source share

one i've been playing a lot recently is the 12" of marboo what about love

also:

coffee casanova (another one which gets better with every passing year, and i'm sure i remember hearing it at wigan newies niters)

Rumour has it, it got Soul Sam the sack ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Rumour has it, it got Soul Sam the sack ! :(

I heard that rumour too. :thumbsup:

I love that record and still have my original 12" along with all the others that I loved and still love. (Lots of love going on there!)

The first 12" I ever bought was Shame-Evelyn Champagne King which still sounds ace and can definitely be classed as Soul Disco. I think I was thirteen.

Social source share

I heard that rumour too. :thumbsup:

I love that record and still have my original 12" along with all the others that I loved and still love. (Lots of love going on there!)

The first 12" I ever bought was Shame-Evelyn Champagne King which still sounds ace and can definitely be classed as Soul Disco. I think I was thirteen.

Have you got a soundclip to this Karen ?

post-3339-1178581610_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Rumour has it, it got Soul Sam the sack ! :(

And so it should playing Disco crap at a Northern venue ! :(

Yes i am a :thumbsup::lol:

Another good call Karen :(

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

And so it should playing Disco crap at a Northern venue ! :(

Yes i am a :thumbsup::lol:

Another good call Karen :(

I remember when we were 13-14, me and my friend would go to over 21s discos-we used to think the age limit was ridiculous as we thought no-one over 21 would ever go out dancing. Oh how very very wrong we were! :(

Social source share

Guest Bogue

I remember when we were 13-14, me and my friend would go to over 21s discos-we used to think the age limit was ridiculous as we thought no-one over 21 would ever go out dancing. Oh how very very wrong we were! :(

:thumbsup::( & over 40's were considered ready for the rest home ! God ! we never saw this ageing bisuness coming did we ? :(

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Slightly early for disco maybe, but great tracks and well worth hearing:

Run and Hide - The Philadelphia Flyers (A UK Production of all things!)

Plastic Man - The Real Thing (Their first EMI recording, but I could be wrong).Cracking tune and well before its time.

Look me up - Blue Magic - Philly at its best

Fabulous Babe - Kenny Williams (Decca - from the 1977 'Babe' perfume advert on British TV. Recorded at Sigma Sound/New York). Great melody and production. Really different but soulful nevertheless.

From East to West - Voyage (French I think), but a great hook.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

T-Connection - At Midnight - TK

Bohannon - Let's Start II Dance Again - Canadian Unidisc (remix of Let's Start The Dance)

Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin' - WB (Sure Is Pure Remix)

They all get my feet moving :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Jamie

Long train Running - way ahead of its time.

I'd say so :( Took a Bananarama cover to get it noticed 20 years later :thumbsup:

Thought I'd get slaughtered for my picks, but there you go :(

Social source share

Guest moggy

Heatwave Mind Blowing Decision

Oddesy Native New Yorker

Chilites You Dont Have To Go

Harold Melvin Satisfaction Guarenteed

Maralin McCoo & Billy Davies Jnr You Dont Have To Be A Star

Willam Devaughn Thankful Baby For Saving My Life

O"Jays Backstabbers

Isley Brothers Harvest For The World

Billy Paul Me & Mrs Jones

Some great records that bring back some great memories, so nowt wrong with Disco in my book, some lyrical masterpieces to heard

Social source share

During my years as student (first 80's) I worked as barman in a discotheque. Here, the only music that was played and I enjoyed it is some Jazz and Fusion played in the first half hour (George Benson, Crusaders, Richard Tee,...). Some "monographics" during the first hour (Reagee, Fusion,...). And the sinthony at the end of the session, "Beyond", by Herb Alpert, for both reasons, his intrinsical value and his signification (the end of the hard work!!) :(

About the only "soul", "r&b" danceable (you can say "disco-soul), here's the few tracks they played during the 6 or 7 years I was working there that I (relativily) enjoyed (the rest was brainless and stupid eurodisco and italian disco or pseudo-salsa - "pachanga"):

-Trammps: "Rock Soul & Disco" (not sure about the correct title, the DJ's have the "Mixin' It Up" LP and only played this track)

-Joe Bataan: "Latin Lover" (they have the "Mestizo album and also played "Rap-O-Clap-O")

-Earth Wind & Fire: "Let's Groove"

-Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis jr. "Shine On Silver Moon"

-Trammps: "Move" (a fantastic rare production. I got the 45. They have a Maxi with a acapella version in the B side where Jimmy Ellis is at his very best. Pure gospel!)

-Jimmy Bo Horne: "Spank"

-The O'Jays: "Identify Yourself" (I let my LP by the same title to the DJ's and they played it "some time" :thumbsup:

-Stevie Wonder: "Master Blaster"

-Mike Oldfield: "Five Miles Out" and "Family Man" (this is techno symphonic rock disco-flavoured, but I enjoyed it as too much of Oldfield's stuff)

Social source share

Guest Marisa

Adding to list of Harold Melvin and Blue Note tunes - 'Tonight's the Night' but my favourite HMBN song is 'Baby I'm Back'.

Social source share

Adding to list of Harold Melvin and Blue Note tunes - 'Tonight's the Night' but my favourite HMBN song is 'Baby I'm Back'.

Hello, Marisa

IMHO "Tonight Is The Night" is the ONLY tune by The Blue Notes that can be considerd "disco". I makes a difference betwen a soul - r&b song that is good for to dance and the disco-soul or simply disco tunes with reiterative beats 4/4. There is the well known history about the Earl Young spontaneous drumms in the recording studio session, when the rythm section of "Love I Lost" was recorded. He, accidentaly, "invented" disco. But "The Love I Lost", IMHO is not disco. Is this accidental invention used in a accentuated way by others (and by Sigma Sound musicians themselves later on Salsoul label) that becames and resulting in disco soul and later in to disco.

I wonder if you refers to "Baby Come Back" (writed by J. Mitchel) when you says "Baby I'm Back", (?) This is a good mid-tempo with fine vocals by underrated Harold. I apreciate very much many PIR tracks with Harold's fine vocals as in "To Be True". Teddy Pendergrass, IMHO, eclipsed the talents of harold and Sharon Paige in the PIR days. A great underrated album is "reaching For The World" where Sharon is magistral on "He Loves You And I do Too" and the deep register of Harold in "Big Singing Star" is at his best!

Social source share

Diane Ducane - Better late than never - Contact...

loooovvve it....

FOR ME IT HAS TO BE :THE SOUL CITY WALK ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS AWSOME!!!

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

Got To Be Real - Cheryl Lyn

Aint No Stopping Us- McFadden n Whitehead

Somebody Elses Guy - Jocelyn Brown

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

Got To Be Real - Cheryl Lyn

Aint No Stopping Us- McFadden n Whitehead

Somebody Elses Guy - Jocelyn Brow

DISCO DOLLY

Youll be shaking your hair next!!! :shades:

Paul

Social source share

All my friends will laugh at me but I love these records, bring back some great memories for me. Used to go bananas for Boogie Wonderland, and one I used to love was the Gibson Brothers' Cuba, don't know if it could be classed as soul, but used to get me on the dance floor.

Bang goes any Northern Soul cred I've got, lol.

Social source share

Jean Carne - 'Don't let it go to your head'

Maze feat frankie Beverley - 'Joy and Pain'

Whatnauts - 'Help is on the way'

Skipworth and Turner - 'Thinking about your love'

Temptations - 'The jones' '

just a few from disco heaven! :shades:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

The best ones are

The Real Thing - You To Me Are Everything

Jimmy James and the Vagabonds - I'll Go Where The Music Takes Me

Gloria Gaynor - Never Can Say Goodbye

Candi Staton - Young Hearts Run Free

Social source share

Guest Marisa

Hello, Marisa

IMHO "Tonight Is The Night" is the ONLY tune by The Blue Notes that can be considerd "disco". I makes a difference betwen a soul - r&b song that is good for to dance and the disco-soul or simply disco tunes with reiterative beats 4/4. There is the well known history about the Earl Young spontaneous drumms in the recording studio session, when the rythm section of "Love I Lost" was recorded. He, accidentaly, "invented" disco. But "The Love I Lost", IMHO is not disco. Is this accidental invention used in a accentuated way by others (and by Sigma Sound musicians themselves later on Salsoul label) that becames and resulting in disco soul and later in to disco.

I wonder if you refers to "Baby Come Back" (writed by J. Mitchel) when you says "Baby I'm Back", (?) This is a good mid-tempo with fine vocals by underrated Harold. I apreciate very much many PIR tracks with Harold's fine vocals as in "To Be True". Teddy Pendergrass, IMHO, eclipsed the talents of harold and Sharon Paige in the PIR days. A great underrated album is "reaching For The World" where Sharon is magistral on "He Loves You And I do Too" and the deep register of Harold in "Big Singing Star" is at his best!

Hi Manny

Yes, I like soul that was played in the discos but can't stand the overproduced, electronic stuff that later became disco. So Earl Young is responsible for the death of soul boxing.gif

The song 'Baby I'm Back' (not come back but yes written by J Mithcell) is on 'The Blue Album' from 1979. The album also has 'Tonights the night' on it with S. Paige and is a Promotion Only original.

Social source share

Guest jo65

The best ones are

The Real Thing - You To Me Are Everything

Jimmy James and the Vagabonds - I'll Go Where The Music Takes Me

Gloria Gaynor - Never Can Say Goodbye

Candi Staton - Young Hearts Run Free

rolleyes.gif:thumbsup:

Brilliant choices love each and everyone of the above!

I seem to be hearing the Candi Staton every day on my local radio station

just has to be turned up full volume and sung along to like you just don't care..

Social source share

Hi Manny

Yes, I like soul that was played in the discos but can't stand the overproduced, electronic stuff that later became disco. So Earl Young is responsible for the death of soul :thumbsup:

The song 'Baby I'm Back' (not come back but yes written by J Mithcell) is on 'The Blue Album' from 1979. The album also has 'Tonights the night' on it with S. Paige and is a Promotion Only original.

Hi again, Marisa

The correct title song is surely the one you says as I got it in a Success very cheap edition on CD (a compilation with old stuff of the PIR days re-recorded by the lineup fronted by David Ebo and some tracks from "Blue Album" as "Tonight's The Night", "Prayin'", "Baby I'm -or Come- Back", "If You're Looking For Somebody To Love",...).

About "the responsability" by Earl Young as "inventor of disco", this is a question that I have read so much. Some criticals says that Gamble-Huff "invented" disco or "Gamble-Huff constructed a bridgewater betwen classic soul and disco music". I think nothing was do in a way selfconscient. My fave PIR stuff I consider it is a good fusion of classical, jazz and classic soul. There was Van McCoy's "Hustle", Barry White and Miami Sound ("Rock The Boat", "Rock Your Baby", etc.) and many thinks at the same time in a period (first 70's) very convulsive... Everybody participates from the "danceable" new r&b: Motown, Hi, Stax, Atlantic... But Earl Young drumms on "The Love I Lost" was simply an important ingredient to imitate and to explote.

We can't forget Young jointly with Harris-Baker doing many great soul productions, from Clyde McPhater to Eddie Holman passing trough The Trammps (where Earl's bass voice is so important as Jimmy Elli's high and gospel voice).

Here's a few more danceable soul (or "disco"-soul) tracks faves of mine:

"September" - Earth, Wind & Fire

"Galaxy" - War

"Touch & Go" - Ecstassy, Passion & Pain

"Try Your Side (Of Love)" - Chi-lites

"Do It Anyway You Wanna" - People's Choice

"We Got The Funk" - Positive Force

"Fighting To Keep My Head Above Water" - Frankie Redmond

"Dance With Me" - Rufus feat. Chaka Khan

Social source share

I remember when we were 13-14, me and my friend would go to over 21s discos-we used to think the age limit was ridiculous as we thought no-one over 21 would ever go out dancing. Oh how very very wrong we were!

& over 40's were considered ready for the rest home ! God ! we never saw this ageing bisuness coming did we ?

Just been reading these 2 quotes, and I'm having hysterics at work over it. How naive we all were when we were young.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Just been reading these 2 quotes, and I'm having hysterics at work over it. How naive we all were when we were young.

We seriously thought that and if we could have looked into the future WE would have collapsed in hysterics!

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Who cares eh ? we don't have to be young to have fun ! Anyone for a fancy dress soul night ? :shades::(post-5566-1178713334_thumb.jpg

Back to the topic, anyone remember this gem of a disco compilation from that wonderful summer of 76 ? Fished it out of my collection & can't get it off the turntable, Tina Charles excepted of course :no:

post-5566-1178713533_thumb.jpgpost-5566-1178713559_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!