I shoulda loved ya-Narada Michael Walden

I need your lovin'-Teena Marie

Love Town-Booker Newberry

Got my mind made up-Instant Funk

Love Come Down-Evelyn King

Never had a love like this before-Tavares

Looking for love tonight-Fat Larry's Band

Social source share

I bought Love Come Down by Evelyn King on a 7 inch at Soul Essence from Steve Plumb's cheapies box.

Another good one is Arthur Adams' You've Got The Floor. Was it ever played at a soul night?

Reading all the tracks listed makes me want to do a disco set at Blue Skies on the 27th, but I suppose I'd get lynched. Memo to me: stick to 60s; and early 60s at that.

Social source share

I bought Love Come Down by Evelyn King on a 7 inch at Soul Essence from Steve Plumb's cheapies box.

Another good one is Arthur Adams' You've Got The Floor. Was it ever played at a soul night?

Reading all the tracks listed makes me want to do a disco set at Blue Skies on the 27th, but I suppose I'd get lynched. Memo to me: stick to 60s; and early 60s at that.

Arthur Adams was a big record at Clifton Hall, early eighties.

Social source share

Still a great tune aint it :yes: One that evaded the disco cull of my collection around 1995.

Wish i hadn't given the others away now too !

(refered to "Disco Connection" by Isaac Hayes)

You're so right, Bogue

And, in adition, IMHO, the whole "Disco Connection" LP is a very good underrated album of mellow instrumental soul. Appart from the title track album, contains "Take Five" or "Aruba" very very mellow, in the same mould of other previous instrumentals by Mr. Ike on Stax as "Cafe Regio"...

And about Moment Of Truth, also totally agree. This made me remember in some other good "Philly not Phillly" tracks on Salsoul as Skip Mahoney & The Casual's "Janice" or another mellow instrumental and good for to dance at the same time, "Round & Round" by Chill Factor on Philly World...

And what about these others...

"That Was All It Was" - Jean Carn

"Nights Over Egypt" - Jones Girls / Incognito

"Heavy Vibes" - Vincent Montana Sextet

"Guilty" - Mike Oldfield (the most disco flavoured tune by him, IMHO)

"Time" - Mighty Clouds Of Joy

"Chocolate Chip" - Isaac Hayes

"Disco Freak" - Isaac Hayes

"Moonlight Lovin' (Mnage   trois)" - Isaac Hayes

Social source share

All good folks ....all good...some of these tracks take me back to the 80s soul weekenders which at one point my sis Viki and myself went to on a regular basis....life seem to be one big party then....at one point we were only doing Northern dos once a month or so....so busy a weekend we had going to various soul/funk venues around the Midlands and the South East...Happy days indeed...keeping posting them tunes up....mucho appreciato here...Delxxx

Social source share

Guest geordiebri

Bettye Lavette- Doing the best that I can -Walter Gibbons mix

Gladys Knight & the Pips -It's a Better than good time- Walter Gibbons mix

Double Exposure-10 Percent- Walter Gibbons mix

In Fact most Walter remixes, the man was a genius!

Social source share

Just a couple more that have me shaking my Butt in an old kinda way:

Roy Ayres - Running away

Blackbyrds - Rock creek park

and respect to mannys choice - Jean Carne - was that all it was! Top tune thumbsup.gif

Edited by RobP
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Is disco a dirty word on this forum?

Only to the terminally narrow-minded!

Disco A-Go-Go;

Timmy Thomas - "Stone To The Bone" (TK DISCO 12") 1977

Sylvester - "Over And Over" (FANTASY - 7" mix) 1977

Phreek - "Weekend" (ATLANTIC 12") 1979

David Simmonds - "Will They Miss Me" (FANTASY 12") 1978

Pat Lundi - "Party Music" (VIGOR 7") 1975

Eastside Connection - "You're So Right For Me" (RAMPART 12") 1977

Archie Bell & The Drells - "Everybody Have A Good Time" (PIR 12") 1977

Goody Goody - "It Looks Like Love" (ATLANTIC LP/7") 1979

Rare Pleasure - "Let Me Down Easy" (CHERI 12") 1976

Stratavarious - "I Got Your Love" (ROULETTE 12") 1976

Evelyn 'Champagne' King - "Shame" (RCA 12") 1977

Gregg Diamond's Starcruiser - "Star Cruisin"/"This Side Of Midnight" (TK DISCO 12") 1978

Samuel Jonathan Johnson - "You" (COLUMBIA 12") 1978

Jakki - "Sun, Sun, Sun" (PYRAMID 7"/12") 1976

Phil Hurtt - "Giving It Back" (FANTASY 12") 1978

El Coco - "Let's Get It Together" (AVI - 7" mix) 1976

D.C. Larue - Cathedrals" (PYRAMID 12") 1976

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Only to the terminally narrow-minded!

Disco A-Go-Go;

Timmy Thomas - "Stone To The Bone" (TK DISCO 12") 1977

Sylvester - "Over And Over" (FANTASY - 7" mix) 1977

Phreek - "Weekend" (ATLANTIC 12") 1979

David Simmonds - "Will They Miss Me" (FANTASY 12") 1978

Pat Lundi - "Party Music" (VIGOR 7") 1975

Eastside Connection - "You're So Right For Me" (RAMPART 12") 1977

Archie Bell & The Drells - "Everybody Have A Good Time" (PIR 12") 1977

Goody Goody - "It Looks Like Love" (ATLANTIC LP/7") 1979

Rare Pleasure - "Let Me Down Easy" (CHERI 12") 1976

Stratavarious - "I Got Your Love" (ROULETTE 12") 1976

Evelyn 'Champagne' King - "Shame" (RCA 12") 1977

Gregg Diamond's Starcruiser - "Star Cruisin"/"This Side Of Midnight" (TK DISCO 12") 1978

Samuel Jonathan Johnson - "You" (COLUMBIA 12") 1978

Jakki - "Sun, Sun, Sun" (PYRAMID 7"/12") 1976

Phil Hurtt - "Giving It Back" (FANTASY 12") 1978

El Coco - "Let's Get It Together" (AVI - 7" mix) 1976

D.C. Larue - Cathedrals" (PYRAMID 12") 1976

All good..but one of my all time disco faves...Delxx :)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

All good..but one of my all time disco faves...Delxx :)

Yeah - mine too, and a BLACKPOOL MECCA anthem as well!

(I just had to say it...!) :unsure::D

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Slightly early for disco maybe, but great tracks and well worth hearing:

Plastic Man - The Real Thing (Their first EMI recording, but I could be wrong).Cracking tune and well before its time...

If I remember correctly, "Plastic Man" was a cover of a Temptations song, and was the track they performed on the TV programme 'New Faces'. I saw them "live" about 3 times at small venues, but they also appeared at the Top Rank in Hanley C.1973, along with Major Lance!

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Nice one!!!! Let's Get It Together-El Coco... the group dances to that one.....I Like It-Players Associtian.......Love On A summer's Night- sorry cant remember the artistes at present......but does anyone know and can possibly post a sound called Watching Life-LA Boppers???....one fine smoothy tune....Delxx

That's The McCrarys, Del...1982!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Err is nobody going to post up any tunes to accompany these faves???....c'mon ya know ya wanna....Delx

Sorry! Site won't accept my soundclips for reasons I've yet to fathom out! (Maybe it just don't like Macs/iTunes!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

If I remember correctly, "Plastic Man" was a cover of a Temptations song, and was the track they performed on the TV programme 'New Faces'. I saw them "live" about 3 times at small venues, but they also appeared at the Top Rank in Hanley C.1973, along with Major Lance!

hey mel brat you forgot they also did an all dayer at the mecca in the mid 70s,6 blackpool mecca points forefited :)

Social source share

Guest Marisa

Good thread :)

Issaac Hayes - Can't turn around

Natalie Cole - Annie May

Salsoul Orch - Take some time out for love

Weldon Irvine - I love you

BT Express - This house is smokin'

Boogie anyone?

:unsure:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

hey mel brat you forgot they also did an all dayer at the mecca in the mid 70s,6 blackpool mecca points forefited :D

Yeah but, No but, Yeah... Ow Shaddap!! :):unsure:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Back to the topic, anyone remember this gem of a disco compilation from that wonderful summer of 76 ?

For me, THE side that brings back particular memories of that Summer of '76 is Diana Ross' "Love Hangover". Still love it.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Mel brat - I seem to remember The Real Thing on 'Opportunity Knocks' also. I recollect a black and white image of them moving forward on stage whilst dancing in unity. I cannot remember the song.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Mel brat - I seem to remember The Real Thing on 'Opportunity Knocks' also. I recollect a black and white image of them moving forward on stage whilst dancing in unity. I cannot remember the song.

You're no doubt right, as I wasn't sure whether it was 'Opportunity Knocks' or 'New Faces' that they appeared on, though I remember seeing the same routine somewhere! I think they had guest spots on other shows too, as they were probably the first viable UK "Soul" group to break through the pop barrier. (Yet another serious oversight by the "Soul Britannia" TV series I'd have thought!) "Plastic Man" was the song they performed though (I think!) There were reports in Blues & Soul at the time anyway, but I've forgotten the details...

However I'll never forget my mate and I having to walk 20+ miles home in the drizzling rain after seeing them appear at a pub disco in Great Wyrley, South Staffordshire! We got hopelessly lost, and finally got home at about 6am (the local paper shop was open!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Mel brat - priceless stories. 20 miles - that is a long way - long enoug in a car, nevermind walking. You are right, definately overlooked. There is alot of talent over here.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Mel brat - priceless stories. 20 miles - that is a long way - long enoug in a car, nevermind walking. You are right, definately overlooked. There is alot of talent over here.

Remind me to tell you about the time I sang "Mockingbird" live with Inez Foxx, (or rather didn't), and how Al Green stole my girlfriend's pen... :thumbsup::lol::ohmy:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Got To Be Real - Cheryl Lyn

Aint No Stopping Us- McFadden n Whitehead

Somebody Elses Guy - Jocelyn Brown

======================================================

Blimey you,ve a better chance of a Alien craft landing in Barnoldswick and taking

Phil back to his own planet than hearing those :boxing: ( Great Tunes !!! )

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

[quote name='IANCSLOFT'

Blimey you,ve a better chance of a Alien craft landing in Barnoldswick and taking

Phil back to his own planet than hearing those :rolleyes: ( Great Tunes !!! )

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Must admit a thread thats made me smile. Lots of good stuff but here are some of my faves:

The Trammps - Disco Inferno - If it was rare and the lyrics were less obviously disco related I believe it would/ve been huge in both Modern and Northern rooms ( I know if if if)

Candi Staton - I know - Used to play this B side to YHRF out a bit years ago and IMO a great modern tune

High Frequency - Summertime - Disco record poular at both Sheff Tiffs and Cleggers Winter Gardens in the early 80's

And there's loads more........Soul with a different beat - sorry Baz :rolleyes:

Social source share

Must admit a thread thats made me smile. Lots of good stuff but here are some of my faves:

The Trammps - Disco Inferno - If it was rare and the lyrics were less obviously disco related I believe it would/ve been huge in both Modern and Northern rooms ( I know if if if)

must agree with you steve...bass line from soul heaven...just eats your bones and chest cavity :rolleyes:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest CaroleC

Thelma Houston - Dont leave me this way

Bobby Thurston - Check out the groove

George McCrae - Its been so long

Rockers revege - Walking on sunshine

Sylvester - Mighty real

Change - Searching

Could go on...... blush.gif

I am sure the first time I ever heard Sister Sledge "Greatest dancer" was at Blackpool.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Mel brat - I can well imagine loads of stories just like that. What aboutwhen I helped find Sydney Barnes hat at the 100 club a few years ago after somebody took it off his head.

How about:

Sylvester 'Over & Over' on Fantasy.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest CaroleC

Whoops......I meant Sister Sledge "Lost in music" was at Blackpool.

Edited by CaroleC
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Sebastian - I agree. I first heard it on an Andy Peebles radio programme in 1977 (Piccadilly Radio Manchester). In fact somewhere I still have a cassette recording of that programme I think. Great brass intro. I think it is the brass arrangement that lifts the song and indeed the party atmosphere of it.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

For me, THE side that brings back particular memories of that Summer of '76 is Diana Ross' "Love Hangover". Still love it.

For me it's "Disco Ranger" by Disco Ranger, on Strawberry. Although it's cornier than the Jolly Green Giant, I still play it often.

It still puts a smile on my face, and it will always remind me of my dear friend, the late Les Cokell...

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Just wondering what peoples favourite Soul Disco Anthems were? Is disco a dirty word on this forum?

How about . . . Evelyn 'Champagne' King's brilliant 45 "Shame" ? Must rate somewhere surely!!

Martin

Social source share

:thumbsup: Ooh Boy & Going Down....

Rose Royce

Donny Johnson " Las Vegas After Dark " ( Handsum )

Dan Hartman , eat your heart out .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Abso-bleedin'-lutely thumbsup.gif

War - Galaxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gisNXUXxEqE

Brass Construction - Movin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1eSval5bw

Slave - You and Me

Miracles - Love Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPe-fJwNoGU...ted&search=

Herbie Hancock - I thought it was you & You bet your love - look at this guy play bass on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STenI5AdVVs

GQ - Disco Nights - OMG lycra attack on the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoEiORN9ROo...ted&search=

Roy Ayers - Can't you see me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3oXQ8dEtk4...ted&search=

Taste of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_BnJM_apS8

Heatwave - Boogie Nights - met this lot at Chatham Central Hall lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUOmXqezw4...ted&search=

First Choice - The Player/ Armed & Extremely Dangerous

and ofcourse....Dr Love - watch out for the dodgy lip synch - Salsoul rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc1xiV7UoR4

Dr Buzzards Original Savannah Band - I'll play the fool :D

& Cherchez La Femme

and their most sampled tune....

and for all disco lovers everywhere.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXHY6HScbU...ted&search=

You've bleedin well done it again gal....turning up some stonking footage once more..some of me soul disco faves to boot as well....ooh ooh..let's all chant..say it savvy...say it loud....i lurve soul disco and i am proud...Disco Delxxx

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

We've actually gotten three pages into this and, apart from the weak 1980s remix of "Let's Start The Dance", nobody has mentioned how brilliant and how important the great records made by Hamilton Bohannon bewteen 1973 and 1977 are.

"Stop And Go". "Disco Stomp". "South African Man". "Happiness". "Happy Feeling". "Andrea". Brilliant, every one of 'em. And best of all, "Have A Good Day", which isn't a disco record at all but which used to be Colin Curtis' 'end of evening' tune for a short while (I'm pretty sure, doubtless Mr. Brat will confirm) and thus has the Mecca connection that makes almost everything brilliant yes.gif:D:yes:

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

GALAXY OF LOVE - CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR

BAD LUCK - HAROLD MELVIN

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - HAROLD MELVIN

SEPTEMBER - EARTH WIND & FIRE

Social source share

Just listening to Richard Searlings show (I guess its taped while hes in sunny Brum) and hes played one of Mrs Shrews favourites Melba More "Standing Right Here"

Sorry if its been mentioned cant be arsed to go through the whole thread again.

Cheers Paul

Good McFadden & Whitehead production, as the whole "Un retrato de Melba" Buddah LP.

Another good M & W Melba production (this is more disco flavoured) is the B side of the 45 "Love Is Coming At Ya", the stomper "Let's Go Back To Lovin'" (on Emi-Capitol)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert