Neptune Records

Does anybody know anything about this group ( The New Direction). They recorded 2 records for Neptune . I can't find an entry in the Manship guide - are they any good or rare. Also the discography i have shows a query against Neptune no 34, can anyone confirm if this was a release.

many thanks

Rob

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Does anybody know anything about this group ( The New Direction). They recorded 2 records for Neptune . I can't find an entry in the Manship guide - are they any good or rare. Also the discography i have shows a query against Neptune no 34, can anyone confirm if this was a release.

many thanks

Rob

Rob - I am pretty sure that the last actual release on Neptune was "Looky Looky" (#31). I think that anything subsequent to that was merely scheduled and didn't even make it to the demo stage. If they did, they must be among the rarest G & H related records of all.

I don't have any details of what # 34 was going to be, just # 32, 33 and one side of # 35...

TONY

Social source share

many thanks

Rob

I have the LP on Neptune, it's all 5th dimension-style pop soul with no really good tracks in my opinion.

Social source share

Rob - I am pretty sure that the last actual release on Neptune was "Looky Looky" (#31). I think that anything subsequent to that was merely scheduled and didn't even make it to the demo stage. If they did, they must be among the rarest G & H related records of all.

I don't have any details of what # 34 was going to be, just # 32, 33 and one side of # 35...

TONY

Might have guessed you'd have all the info Tone!! I collected all the Neptune issues, started at No 12 & last one was 31. Some good stuff - Bunny Sigler - Dont Stop Doing What Youre Doing - No. 25 I think, my favourite!!

Al

Social source share

As a Philly Lover as I am, hope some day a good and exhaustive compilation from this label see the light. I only have the "In Philadelphia" album by O'Jays and some re-editions on PIR of the "Feelin' Good At Cadillac Club" and "Ebony Woman" LP's by Billy Paul and, finally some Bunny Sigler song in some Jazz-Soul UK label compilation.

I wonder if The Vibrations and Linda Jone's Neptune stuff is worth to find (or to waiting the re-realise on CD some day!). Somebody can explains his opinion?

Social source share

Guest Paul

Hello,

I love those Neptune Records because they captured the Philadelphia sound when it was still developing - just before it broke really big - and that's why it all sounded very inventive and fresh.

Neptune suffered from distribution problems (especially when Chess was sold to GRT) but their output was excellent and those records sound as exciting today as they did when they were new.

I once made a Neptune discography and I'll post it if I can find it. And I hope Tony can add what was scheduled for number 35.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

As a Philly Lover as I am, hope some day a good and exhaustive compilation from this label see the light. I only have the "In Philadelphia" album by O'Jays and some re-editions on PIR of the "Feelin' Good At Cadillac Club" and "Ebony Woman" LP's by Billy Paul and, finally some Bunny Sigler song in some Jazz-Soul UK label compilation.

I wonder if The Vibrations and Linda Jone's Neptune stuff is worth to find (or to waiting the re-realise on CD some day!). Somebody can explains his opinion?

Hi manny,

Both Linda Jones 45's are well worth checking out especially "Thats When I'll Stop Loving You"

The Vibrations "Surprise Party For Baby" is a northern classic and should be on the
jukebox. Their other 45 "Whos Gonna Help Me Now" is a fantastic harmony ballad. Perhaps some kind hearted soul-sourcer could post this up and maybe the Linda Joneses?

Theres a discography of the label on
(thank you Mr Rimmer ! )

Cheers Paul

PS Billy Pauls "Feeling Good At The Cadallac Club" was a Gamble Records LP

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Guest Paul

NEPTUNE DISCOGRAPHY

N-12 - N-20 issued in 1969

N-21 onwards issued in 1970

N-12 : The O'Jays - One Night Affair / There's Someone Waiting (Back Home)

N-13 : Corner Boys - Gang War (Don't Make No Sense) / Take It Easy Soul Brother

N-14 : Bunny Sigler - Great Big Liar / Where Do The Lonely Go

N-15 : Bunny & Cindy - We're Only Human / Sure Didn't Take Long (For The News To Get Around)

N-16 : Indigos - I Love You / Taboo

N-17 : Linda Jones - I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow / That's When I'll Stop Loving You

N-18 : The O'Jays - Branded Bad / You're The Best Thing Since Candy

N-19 : Vibrations - Expressway To Your Heart / Who's Gonna Help Me Now?

N-20 : The O'Jays - Christmas Ain't Christmas, New Year's Ain't New Year / There's Someone Waiting

N-21 : Vibrations - Smoke Signals / Who's Gonna Help Me Now?

N-22 : The O'Jays - Deeper (In Love With You) / I've Got The Groove

N-23 : Three Degrees - What I See / Reflections Of Yesterday

N-24 : Bunny Sigler & Cindy Scott - We're Only Human / Conquer The World Together

N-25 : Bunny Sigler - Don't Stop Doing What You're Doing / Where Do The Lonely Go

N-26 : Linda Jones - Ooh Baby You Move Me / Can You Blame Me?

N-27 : Cupit - Trainman (Akiwawa) / Squeeze Your Knees

N-28 : Vibrating Vibrations - Right On Brother, Right On / Suprise Party For Baby

N-29 : New Direction - Ride My Carousel / Didn't We

N-30 : Billy Paul - Let's Fall In love All Over / Mrs Robinson

N-31 : The O'Jays - Looky Looky (Look At Me Girl) / Let Me In Your World

N-33 : The O'Jays - Christmas Ain't Christmas, New Year's Ain't New Year / Just Can't Get Enough

Paul Mooney

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Hi manny,

Both Linda Jones 45's are well worth checking out especially "Thats When I'll Stop Loving You"

The Vibrations "Surprise Party For Baby" is a northern classic and should be on the
jukebox. Their other 45 "Whos Gonna Help Me Now" is a fantastic harmony ballad. Perhaps some kind hearted soul-sourcer could post this up and maybe the Linda Joneses?

(thank you Mr Rimmer ! )

Cheers Paul

Many thanks for this precious info, for the link (and for the correction on the original label of B. Paul album). Unti now I only got some track by Vibrations on the Okeh label in a domestical cassette record compilation that a good friend send to me ("Canadian Sunset" if I well remember, and is very good).

Peace & Soul Food

Social source share

Two of her Neptune sides are available on this CD From Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Hits-Rema...8303&sr=1-2

Ooh Baby You Move Me

I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow

the rest is pretty good too - both sides of her Atco single plus 'Hit Me Like TNT '

strangely the first 12 tracks are programmed as her WB album but I'm sure some of the versions are Turbo recordings

Mike

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

Two of her Neptune sides are available on this CD From Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Hits-Rema...8303&sr=1-2

Ooh Baby You Move Me

I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow

the rest is pretty good too - both sides of her Atco single plus 'Hit Me Like TNT '

strangely the first 12 tracks are programmed as her WB album but I'm sure some of the versions are Turbo recordings

Mike

Many thanks, Mike. Interesting info.

The only cover (or original?!) I got by now of "I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow" is by The O'Jays in their "Live!" album on Bell - MFP.

I ignore if Amazone sell for spanish customers. Until now the little I have buying in the web is from spanish web-stores (Discoweb, Gong,...). I'll try...!

Social source share

TONY

Well, Tony , please don't keep us in suspense , who were the artists and what were the titles of the tracks of the scheduled releases for 32, 33 & 35.

If #33 is indeed the O'Jays Christmas release 45, I'm sure that that record was issued a few years later by Gamble & Huff on PIR when the O'Jays had become superstars - and it's well worth having for the flip "Just Cant Get Enough" , a fantastic mid tempo dancer off the O'Jays Neptune LP. :thumbsup:

The New Direction LP on Neptune is not a bad LP , yes, 5th Dimension inspired, but also containing some nice Latin flavoured movers.

Social source share

Well, Tony , please don't keep us in suspense , who were the artists and what were the titles of the tracks of the scheduled releases for 32, 33 & 35.

If #33 is indeed the O'Jays Christmas release 45, I'm sure that that record was issued a few years later by Gamble & Huff on PIR when the O'Jays had become superstars - and it's well worth having for the flip "Just Cant Get Enough" , a fantastic mid tempo dancer off the O'Jays Neptune LP. :thumbsup:

The New Direction LP on Neptune is not a bad LP , yes, 5th Dimension inspired, but also containing some nice Latin flavoured movers.

32 is Indigos - I really mean it / Keep our love in the sunshine

I have not seen it but know someone who says he has it.

Social source share

33 is supposedly the o'jays christmas 45, but with a different flip than the previous neptune release (20):

Christmas just ain't christmas / Just can't get enough

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...I'd say your 'someone' is either mistaken or lying.

I've known some pretty heavyweight Philly collectors down the years, not one of whom has been able to produce even a label scan for this record, much less an actual copy.

Neptune 35 was a New Direction 45 - I have title details at Ace, I'll post them up later. As I said, I only have 'A' side details, but I'll happily share. It was very remiss of me not to provide info for 32 and 33 earlier, but happily it's been done for me!

Social source share

I've known some pretty heavyweight Philly collectors down the years, not one of whom has been able to produce even a label scan for this record, much less an actual copy.

Neptune 35 was a New Direction 45 - I have title details at Ace, I'll post them up later. As I said, I only have 'A' side details, but I'll happily share. It was very remiss of me not to provide info for 32 and 33 earlier, but happily it's been done for me!

Why re-invent the wheel Tony :thumbsup:

Neptune Discography

Social source share

Hi manny,

(thank you Mr Rimmer ! )

Cheers Paul

It's actually at www.Soulfulkindamusic.net

Social source share

By the way, Bunny Sigler's fabulous "Great Big Liar" (backed with the equally tasty "Where Do The Lonely Go") was without doubt the template for Gamble & Huff's "Backstabbers" for the O'Jays just a couple of years later.

The chord progression of Great Big Liar and the dramatic stop start intro is virtually the same song structure as for Backstabbers.

Can someone please post an MP3 of Great Big Liar , so everybody can see what I'm on about? rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

By the way, Bunny Sigler's fabulous "Great Big Liar" (backed with the equally tasty "Where Do The Lonely Go") was without doubt the template for Gamble & Huff's "Backstabbers" for the O'Jays just a couple of years later.

The chord progression of Great Big Liar and the dramatic stop start intro is virtually the same song structure as for Backstabbers.

Can someone please post an MP3 of Great Big Liar , so everybody can see what I'm on about? rolleyes.gif

Can't hear that at all, not in any way, although I will allow you a certain similarliity in the intro, I admit :huh:

But "Great Big Liar" - which, as you say, IS a fantastic record - does steal quite a bit of its structure from the Temptations' "Cloud Nine", especially the 'middle eight' towards the end of the track. You can also really hear Doris Duke in the vocal backup, her voice is unmistakable as she sings the title track

Social source share

i'll try to get a scan

Social source share

Guest Paul

Yes. "Great Big Liar" has a similarity to "Back Stabbers" in the arrangement, especially on the intro, but as Tony stated there's also a definate rhythmic similarity to "Cloud Nine" (especially the bass line) at a faster tempo. Lots of people were influenced by that song in 1969.

And those dramatic stops, starts and tempo changes put the real drama and tension into the Philly sound. That's what made it so dynamic and I think we should thank the arrangers for that - especially Bobby Martin and Tommy Bell.

Bunny Sigler is an amazing singer (and writer) but it has to be said that he seemed to be capable of total class one moment and relative mediocrity the next.

But I'll always love him for "Where Do The Lonely Go", "Don't Stop Doing What You're Doing", "Regina", "That's How Long I'll Be loving You", "Love Train", "Somebody Loves You", "Keep Smiling" and "What Would You Do Without Love" ...not to forget the northern soul favourites "Follow Your Heart" and "Girl Don't Make Me Wait".

Paul Mooney

P.S. I didn't know Doris Duke sang backing vocals on "Great Big Liar". A man can learn a lot on this forum!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes. "Great Big Liar" has a similarity to "Back Stabbers" in the arrangement, especially on the intro, but as Tony stated there's also a definate rhythmic similarity to "Cloud Nine" (especially the bass line) at a faster tempo. Lots of people were influenced by that song in 1969.

And those dramatic stops, starts and tempo changes put the real drama and tension into the Philly sound. That's what made it so dynamic and I think we should thank the arrangers for that - especially Bobby Martin and Tommy Bell.

Bunny Sigler is an amazing singer (and writer) but it has to be said that he seemed to be capable of total class one moment and relative mediocrity the next.

But I'll always love him for "Where Do The Lonely Go", "Don't Stop Doing What You're Doing", "Regina", "That's How Long I'll Be loving You", "Love Train", "Somebody Loves You", "Keep Smiling" and "What Would You Do Without Love" ...not to forget the northern soul favourites "Follow Your Heart" and "Girl Don't Make Me Wait".

Paul Mooney

P.S. I didn't know Doris Duke sang backing vocals on "Great Big Liar". A man can learn a lot on this forum!

...Not much of a fan of "Theme From Five Fingers Of Death" or "Jingle Bells" then, Paul :thumbsup:

Doris Duke (who was then still Doris Willingham, of course) is actually to be heard on quite a few PIR productions from that period. You can hear her ringing out on many of the tracks on Jerry Butler's "Ice On Ice" album, and I believe, too, that she's on several of the cuts on Dusty's "Brand New Me" set - among other things.

Talking of Doris, there's also still one great unissued midtempo track from her Jay Boy session, that I couldn't fit on the "I'm A Loser" CD and that, I hope, Ady will be finding room for on a Kent compilation soon...

Social source share

Neptune 29 is in the guide #4 @ £10

One side is a Jazzy instrumental / Mod style thing.

Flipside is the ballad "Didn't We..

The other release on # 35 is very rare I've not had acopy for an age.. it was the last record on the label; and I think only DJ copies exist. Can't tell you what it sounds like..hence no entry in PG 4. until i hear a copy it will remain that way.. anyone got a sound clip or knows the flipside (if it was issued) i'd be grateful

john

Social source share

Paul Mooney

IMHO, I saw much more in common betwen "One Night Affair" and "Backstabbers". And, speaking of the dramatically effect by changing the tempo, breacking and introducing seconds of silent, what about one of the best Tom Bell arranging, "Life Is A Song Worth Singing" by Johnny Mathis?

About Bunny Sigler, I'm totally agree. That reminded me in the "Let It Snow" album, where him can be "brainless" discoffied in Super Duper Man and delicate and soulful on "From The First Time I Saw Your Face" (don't well remeber the title) where him sings in his Marvin Gaye's "register". A great and multitalent artist. A thing that made me laugh is his linner notes in the back cover art from this album: "If You Don't Have Nothing Special To Say, Simply Say Goodbay 70's, Hello 80's". There are a "subliminal" message in this trivial phrase...?

Seriously now, two of my favorite musical treasures are the Epic-Legacy Bunny's compilation "Sweeter Than The Berry" and the re-edition of his "My Music" PIR album by UK label Edsel.

Cheers & Soul Food

Social source share

Guest Paul

IMHO, I saw much more in common betwen "One Night Affair" and "Backstabbers". And, speaking of the dramatically effect by changing the tempo, breacking and introducing seconds of silent, what about one of the best Tom Bell arranging, "Life Is A Song Worth Singing" by Johnny Mathis?

About Bunny Sigler, I'm totally agree. That reminded me in the "Let It Snow" album, where him can be "brainless" discoffied in Super Duper Man and delicate and soulful on "From The First Time I Saw Your Face" (don't well remeber the title) where him sings in his Marvin Gaye's "register". A great and multitalent artist. A thing that made me laugh is his linner notes in the back cover art from this album: "If You Don't Have Nothing Special To Say, Simply Say Goodbay 70's, Hello 80's". There are a "subliminal" message in this trivial phrase...?

Seriously now, two of my favorite musical treasures are the Epic-Legacy Bunny's compilation "Sweeter Than The Berry" and the re-edition of his "My Music" PIR album by UK label Edsel.

Cheers & Soul Food

Yes, there's definately a very thin line between genius and madness.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

Ive got # 24 Bunny Sigler and Cindy Scott We're only human, but I also see it listed as # 15 in the discography. Is it exactly the same recording and what is the year on # 15 please.

Thanks, Martin Snow

Social source share

Guest Paul

Ive got # 24 Bunny Sigler and Cindy Scott We're only human, but I also see it listed as # 15 in the discography. Is it exactly the same recording and what is the year on # 15 please.

Thanks, Martin Snow

Different flip sides, I just added it to the discography. First issue was in 1969 and the second was 1970.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest Marisa

Was Bunny Sigler involved in 'Touch My Life' recorded on PIR. Love this tune and haven't heard it for years.

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

Different flip sides, I just added it to the discography. First issue was in 1969 and the second was 1970.

Paul Mooney

Thanks for that Paul, I'd got #24 filed in 1969, so no need to move it.

Flip of #24 says nothing to me, is the flip of #15 any good ?

Social source share

Guest Marisa

Actually it's the song by Dee Dee Sharpe i'm thinking about. Remembered in my sleep! Anyone got a soundfile of 'Touch my Life' anyway?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert