Looking For Northern Soul Dancers

Northern Soul dancers wanted: in relation to a film/art work currently being organised, which focuses on a former Northern Soul venue in Dundee.

Searching for people, from any UK region, who would be considered 'good' Northern Soul dancers ... in the sense that they could hold their own if placed on a dance floor of the 70's. In wanting to recreate an essence of what the original scene might have been like, ideally dancers should be between approx. 18 - late 20's.

If anyone can offer any assistance/contacts, or for enquiries, please mail Matt Stokes at stokes.matt@lineone.net

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Northern Soul dancers wanted: in relation to a film/art work currently being organised, which focuses on a former Northern Soul venue in Dundee.

Searching for people, from any UK region, who would be considered 'good' Northern Soul dancers ... in the sense that they could hold their own if placed on a dance floor of the 70's. In wanting to recreate an essence of what the original scene might have been like, ideally dancers should be between approx. 18 -  late 20's.

If anyone can offer any assistance/contacts, or for enquiries, please mail Matt Stokes at stokes.matt@lineone.net

link

Think you might be struggling mate, only a handfull of youngsters on the scene really. Myself, my mate matty, little richard and steve cato :D

Social source share

Think you might be struggling mate, only a handfull of youngsters on the scene really. Myself, my mate matty, little richard and steve cato  :D

link

What about ShaneH ? :D

Social source share

We'll have to work on Shane. He's seen better days in my opinion. :D

And steve Cato isn't a day over 24.

link

I'm telling ya mate Steve Cato is 40!

If you are reading Steve, you look great mate! :D

Shane

Social source share

Northern Soul dancers wanted

Searching for people, from any UK region, who would be considered 'good' Northern Soul dancers ... in the sense that they could hold their own if placed on a dance floor of the 70's. In wanting to recreate an essence of what the original scene might have been like, ideally dancers should be between approx. 18 - late 20's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I

:D

YOUR JOKIN 18 -LATE 20,S

Go to any Soul Nite in the U.K and never mind the 70,S every buggers

doin the Mashed Potatoe, The Dog, The Swim, The Locomotion ..ect ect

The latest dance ive seen over the past 10 years is Derek Pearson doin

the Funky Chickin :D

Social source share

I'm quite upset that I've not been included in the list of youngsters as I am only 32!! (I have seen better days though!) :D

Steve is definately around 40ish (but looks fab on it!)...must be the chemical preservatives!

Edited by little miss sunshine
Social source share

I'm q :D uite upset that I've not been included in the list of youngsters as I am only 32!! (I have seen better days though!)

Steve Cato is definitely 40ish (but looks fab on it!)...must be chemical preservatives!

link

I was thinkin of you becky. :D

Seriously though there are quite a few younger ones. Matty from Leeds, Kate, Heiki, Rachel from Scotland.

Shane

Social source share

Good luck on this.

Due to the excessive volume of 'pehs' scoffed on the Nethergate, you'd be hard pushed to find any Dundee youngsters fit enough to dance. Ask soulmac - he'll tell ye ahm right ken ! :D:D

Hammy

Social source share

plenty of them mate  :D

Shane

link

Thanks for the offer of a lift Shane, but the wife is off out tonight so I'm babysitting.

I've seen tom cats that don't go out as much as her ! :D

Social source share

Thanks for the offer of a lift Shane, but the wife is off out tonight so I'm babysitting.

I've seen tom cats that don't go out as much as her ! :D

link

ok Steve mate

Social source share

I was thinkin of you becky.  :D

Seriously though there are quite a few younger ones. Matty from Leeds, Kate, Heiki, Rachel from Scotland.

Shane

link

I think I'd struggle with the 'good dancer who'd fit in on a 70s dancefloor' bit though Shane :D:D

Social source share

Why so young?? In the 70s, everyone looked 10 years older than they actually were anyway.... with the Farrah Fawcett haircuts and big perms ... and that was just the blokes.

:D

Social source share

hammy are pehs the same thing as yokes? or do you mean pies? oh you lot & your accents i never understand a word! :D

link

A 'peh' is a Dundonian pronounciation of the word 'pie'.

Also, in Dundee the word 'sh*te' is pronounced 'Dundee United' :D:D

Hammy

Social source share

A 'peh' is a Dundonian pronounciation of the word 'pie'.

Also, in Dundee the word 'sh*te' is pronounced 'Dundee United' :D:D

Hammy

link

[/quote

Thats funny, down here shite is pronounced Sheffield Wednesday !

Beat all you piggies to it. :D

Will send chq Sat. Hammy, thanks.

Steve

Social source share

Searching for people, from any UK region, who would be considered 'good' Northern Soul dancers ... in the sense that they could hold their own if placed on a dance floor of the 70's. In wanting to recreate an essence of what the original scene might have been like, ideally dancers should be between approx. 18 -  late 20's.

link

You're not asking for much mate!!!! Keb still cuts the dancefloor mustard (very very well!!) but you'd need to give him a wig and some Spencers........oh yeah and a substantial appearance fee no doubt!!

Chris "Trickster" Harvey could do a passable 70s impersonation but he'd need to shed the Mark Lamarr 50s Cockney binman, Brylcreem quiff and James Dean jeans.

There's other cracking dancers like the tall bloke from up North who's always at Stoke doing very fast spins. Also, Sammy from Wolverhampton (I think).

Other than that, the Japanese kids are good dancers but might give a very authentic Wigan look to the film project!!! Good luck!!

Social source share

Good luck on this.

Due to the excessive volume of 'pehs' scoffed on the Nethergate, you'd be hard pushed to find any Dundee youngsters fit enough to dance. Ask soulmac - he'll tell ye ahm right ken !  :D   :D

Hammy

link

Hammy

Wee Johnnie and Stoke think they can dance, pity they're just about drawing the pension. :D

soulmac.

Social source share

If you are reading Steve, you look great mate!  :lol:

Shane

link

Leave Steve alone! Life begins and all that - I should know - Im still only 38! :lol:

Social source share

Good luck on this.

Due to the excessive volume of 'pehs' scoffed on the Nethergate, you'd be hard pushed to find any Dundee youngsters fit enough to dance. Ask soulmac - he'll tell ye ahm right ken !  :lol:   :lol:

Hammy

link

Of course in Dundee Jazz is a film about a big fish with loads of teeth;)

Social source share

Thanks for this ... I'm hoping to get along to the Queens Hall, Stoke in Feb ... so I'll keep an eye out! Thanks again ...

You're not asking for much mate!!!! Keb still cuts the dancefloor mustard (very very well!!) but you'd need to give him a wig and some Spencers........oh yeah and a substantial appearance fee no doubt!!

Chris "Trickster" Harvey could do a passable 70s impersonation but he'd need to shed the Mark Lamarr 50s Cockney binman, Brylcreem quiff and James Dean jeans.

There's other cracking dancers like the tall bloke from up North who's always at Stoke doing very fast spins. Also, Sammy from Wolverhampton (I think).

Other than that, the Japanese kids are good dancers but might give a very authentic Wigan look to the film project!!! Good luck!!

link

Social source share

hi,don,t no how useful this information will be.but there is a young lad early twenties named jamie who does local venues up here in the east midlands ,i don,t have a contact number at the moment but a few phone calls would sort that out.he as also done couple of niters like stoke.but the b,all and end all is ,he can dance very good foot work used to do bretby always wore blk n wht shoes and cow skin coat .may be that might ring some bells (not alarm)always got complemented on his moves.anyway if you are interested let me no and ill make some enquiries.maybe some one i know will no him to talk to and we could get him to call you .let me know

Social source share

Hi ... thanks ... this is really useful, and it would be good to get in touch with jamie if he's interested. Let me know if you need my number to pass on, or he can try me via my email. Many thanks again. M

hi,don,t no how useful this information will be.but there is a young lad early twenties named jamie who does local venues up here in the east midlands ,i don,t have a contact number at the moment but a few phone calls would sort that out.he as also done couple of niters like stoke.but the b,all and end all is ,he can dance very good foot work used to do bretby always wore blk n wht shoes and cow skin coat .may be that might ring some bells (not alarm)always got complemented on his moves.anyway if you are interested let me no and ill make some enquiries.maybe some one i know will no him to talk to and we could get him to call you .let me know

link

Social source share

will do ,ill make a few phone calls this afternoon and see if i can get a number for him ,if he is interested ill contact you for a number to pass on.he may not be on the net ill have to find out.

Social source share

link

sorry my e mail isn't workin, but try contacting paul sadot, brilliant dancer and knows many more too. i think his e mail is paulsadot@hotmail.com. let me know if u can't get hold of him.

Social source share

Think you might be struggling mate, only a handfull of youngsters on the scene really. Myself, my mate matty, little richard and steve cato  :thumbsup:

link

Little Richard a Northern Soul dancer?? He just shuffles around the dance floor looking camp...is that really what people used to do at Wigan?

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Little Richard a Northern Soul dancer?? He just shuffles around the dance floor looking camp...is that really what people used to do at Wigan?

link

I was gonna reply in anger Reg , but looking at the facts your probably justified in your character assasination

Social source share

link

come on rich - hit em hard! i have seen that reg and my money is on you. :thumbsup:

ncs on saturday reg? my mate paul from sheffield always asks.

shane

Social source share

come on rich - hit em hard! i have seen that reg and my money is on you.  :lol:

ncs on saturday reg? my mate paul from sheffield always asks.

shane

link

Little Richard is a lightweight-I'll challenge him to an arm wrestle....venue, New Century Saturday..I'll be there. However, he hasn't got a girlfriend at the moment so he may have been doing some training :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

If you are reading Steve, you look great mate!  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

Steve Cato wasasked for id at a doo the other night , to be fair though it was a Saga holidays Disco Dance

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Little Richard is a lightweight-I'll challenge him to an arm wrestle....venue, New Century Saturday..I'll be there. However, he hasn't got a girlfriend at the moment so he may have been doing some training :thumbsup:

link

More training than you ever thought possible , Ill take you on if only to see the smug smile slip from your face

Social source share

Little Richard is a lightweight-I'll challenge him to an arm wrestle....venue, New Century Saturday..I'll be there. However, he hasn't got a girlfriend at the moment so he may have been doing some training :lol:

gasp! how can you be so mean about little richard. i suggest a battle royale between me n you instead. i'd cry if his arm got hurt. we can concentrate on kicks & punches instead of sissy arm wrestling, that's for girls :thumbsup:

yours sincerely

president of the little richard fanclub

(membership card no. 0001)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Would be happy to give it a go..........if I could I could shake off those geezers from St John's Ambulance who appear to be following me around from gig to gig*

*nb - just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you.

link

Did you hear the Paranoia Anonymous conference erupted into a riot this weekend?

The panto was next door, and at the first 'he's behind you', all hell let loose.

:lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

At every venue, every weekend up and down the country you will be able to see some fantastic dancers. If your looking for people who can really cut the mustard then you need to be prepared to go to the venues and watch these people in action, research is surely the most important issue when trying to re-create an atmosphere of any era?

The people most likely to fit your ability requirements are not going fit the age group your after. I can only think of maybe Heikki who isn't over here right now and Ray's son who can normally be found at Prestwich (and I just forgot his name LOL) that will fit both. Asking on a forum like this is obviously an excellent way to reference this sort of information, and recommendations are great, but if your dancers must be of that age group your really going to struggle. Now if your asking for dancers who 'look' 18 - late 20's then there are quite a few more candidates.

We have a SSCDT section on here and I think that with a little tweak or two the 'average' age of dancers could be put around the 20 something mark, but with the large increase of taxation on leg braces and ralgex over the past few months, their fee's have hiked considerably, so ultimately it will depend on the size of your budget.

By the way I am Janine, Bretts older sister, and I was 22 last week. And I generally pull a crowd of 30+ when I dance, Bretts only allowed out late on a Friday night, and school nights he is free till 8pm :lol:

Edited by Janine
Social source share

Would be happy to give it a go..........if I could I could shake off those geezers from St John's Ambulance who appear to be following me around from gig to gig*

*nb - just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you.

link

======

Col, you need to have Karen Crane on hand, she carries a defibrilator in her handbag......least she told me it was a defibrilator, I might have misheard :lol::):)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!