I need to learn basic Northern steps

Help me surprise / impress (?) my new soulie woman and make up for my misspent youth (ex punk - what a wanka!!)

I desperately need to learn basic Northern steps

Needn't be professional - preferably Mcr / NW area - willing to pay beer money at least.....

Ring 0161 445 6285 and ask for Martin or email me on mt@martintonks.com

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The best way to learn is on the dance floor, Just get into the music, move what ever makes YOU feel good dont worry about what you look like. If your new lady is into soul she will understand, even if you look a right twat .Over the years I have seen some very good dancers and dance routines some are just mind blowing and you carnt help but appreciate there skill & fitness and the time it must take to perfect there moves, if you go to any soul night anywhere and just watch, someone somewhere will get up and dance, there moves will not be perfect, they way well be slightly to fast or to slow but look at there face you will see that they are in heaven, they may well be smiling from ear to ear or even crying and sometimes the look of pain can be very unflatering but that record means so much to them they dont care if anyone thinks they can dance or not i would rather watch mr average loose himself in the music. yes i do wish i was the greatst dancer in the world but ime not and this is what makes the soul scene it do'nt matter we all there for the same thing the music and to hear that one record that means so much

Social source share

I like to dance with strange men and let them get the beers in. Send me a message... verygaymidtemposoulboy@fairytowers.com

I think i met you in Beatin Rhythm Martin, Don't fret.

Steve.. Manchester

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

As a tip I'd make sure you've got leather sole shoes on, that'll help. If you have rubber souls it is very hard to move freely as your feet will kind of get stuck under you. ;-)

There are some nice little videos at www.heartofsoul.co.uk . Don't try and copy Keb (you'll hurt yourself and others :-/), and have a look at Seji.

Social source share

go easy on the talc! unless of course you are wearing trainers (not recoemmended) or other rubber sole shoes. think of others around you when using talc, especially anyone doing a lot of spins near you.!!!

Social source share

If you want to learn to dance then go to the 100 club and see the Cleethorpes 2003 northern soul dancing winner, the mighty Trickster or even better check out the 60ts website and watch Trickster dance. Learn how to kick a drink out of the hand of anyone within 10 feet and not even know it. The other option is to watch the man who dances to the last record, great characters out on the floor. My favourite dancer was a guy who only danced to the slowest records without any foot movement , gritted teeth, eyes closed, screwed up face and a little shake of the rump my mate called the dance ''man going for a shit'' Come on people and tell me about your fave dancer or a character you remember or still see. Its these people who make the dancefloor a magical place.

Gene (RnB) kelly

Social source share

Trickster is good, but he's only a mini-Keb (not a bad thing though!) I once made the mistake of standing near Keb when he went into a spin and so much sweat shot off his body that it completely soaked my bowling shirt. I still have that shirt and I am planning to offer it on E-bay quite soon. It will fit in nicely with all the other crappy memorabilia bing sold there like northern soul cufflinks, wigan jockstraps and VaVa vests .

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

My favourite from about that time was the guy who would take a metal tray and bash himself on the head rather than clap.

Fookin funny and louder than your average soul clapper!

He used to go to Stafford, Hinkley, Leicester etc. Funniest was at the Leicester when they had to have it in Loughboro. Couldnt work out why we could still hear the banging after the music had stopped. Then someone pointed out the market traders were putting up the scaffolding for their stalls. Doncha just love Northern Soul???

Social source share

Kolla wrote:

one word...

ION

And his fantastic Jolly Fisherman dance....

Weighing the anchor!

My wife can do a spot on impression of this.....LOL

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!