• Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Richard Bergman

I prefer the four seasons version.....

Got a few spare copies of this if I can find them....if anyone wants one.

Social source share

Guest garv

FOUR SEASONS BETTER IMHO thumbsup.gif

:rolleyes: .. sorry Dukester cant agree with that, Timebox version has a better vocal, production & the backing vocals by the Seasons always seems very weak to me. The Frankie Valli version seems very disjointed as well, in contast the timebox is much tighter & punchier in sound & the subtle parts of the sound really come through.

IMHO of course :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest garv

Still pick it up for a tenner.

Pilooski has re-edited it for the dance scene, hence the sudden interest from people outside the soul scene.

DJ Sian , mistress of the wheels of steel :rolleyes:

Got a sound clip of this.... be interested to hear it yes.gif

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

what's it fetchin nowadays???

All mine are uk copies...no more than £10 i'd bet.....that whats i'd sell for anyway

Social source share

:rolleyes: .. sorry Dukester cant agree with that, Timebox version has a better vocal, production & the backing vocals by the Seasons always seems very weak to me. The Frankie Valli version seems very disjointed as well, in contast the timebox is much tighter & punchier in sound & the subtle parts of the sound really come through.

IMHO of course :lol:

Nail on head for me thumbsup.gif . Drums on Frankie are nice but like you say, I find it otherwise a bit dull and lacking oooomph. The Four Seasons needn't have bothered turning up for all the effort they put in. :thumbsup: Horses for courses, of course.

Social source share

for the interested:

The roots of Timebox lay in local band Take 5 in 1965 in Southport, a small northern English coastal town (situated near Liverpool). After a succession of interpersonal incidents, which led to the vocalist quitting, the band was left in disorder. Fellow local act the Music Students (who featured 15-year-old drummer Peter Halsall, a great drummer who was also proving himself on a majesty of other instruments) were facing similar problems. Halsall, Chris Holmes (piano), and Kevan Foggerty (vocals) teamed up with Clive Griffiths as Take 5 and, very soon after, turned professional and headed towards London. Taken under the wing of the George Cooper agency, they were soon working on package tours with the Kinks, the Small Faces, Tommy Quickly, and Lou Christie, as well as striking up a residency at the legendary the Whiskey a Go Go. With two singers leaving (Liggett quit, then Frank Dixon unfortunately contracted tuberculosis) U.S. singer John Henry was drafted in and the band changed their name to Timebox -- an American term for a prison cell. Signed to Piccadilly in February 1967, their debut single, "I'll Always Love You" b/w "Save Your Soul," produced by John Schroeder, was released and displayed an early jazz-tinged, soulful talent.

Following this, more turns of fate occurred, with ex-G.I. Henry being whipped back off to the U.S.A by officials and Dean going down with tuberculosis (a spooky repeat). That April, the strictly instrumental 45 "Soul Sauce"/"I Wish I Could Jerk Like My Uncle Cyril" showed the band walking similar lines to Manfred Mann: airing competence but little imagination. Mike Patto, who had played with the Bo Street Runners and the Chicago Line (along with ex-Pretty Thing Viv Prince), joined Timebox after a few illustrious jams and took on a prominent role as vocalist and songwriter. When yet another drummer (Foggerty) quit, things once again went astray; luckily, however, the stool was soon filled by ex-Felder's Orioles' drummer John Halsey. Peter Halsall (now commonly known as "Ollie") was displaying a high degree of aptitude on guitar, as well as regular diversions into the vibes. His trademark sound of both searing guitar and mellow vibes was to the fore in the ensuing records.

Timebox soon became a hot live act. Many who saw them claimed Timebox to be one of the first rock bands in London to really explore jazz in a rock context. A wonderful performance at the Windsor Jazz Festival on August 12, 1967, caught the eye of Decca producer Gus Dudgeon, who immediately signed them to the label's subsidiary Deram. The first 45, a fantastic version of Tim Hardin's "Don't Make Promises," was backed by the even better Ollie original "Walking Through the Streets of My Mind," which combined sharp blue-eyed soul harmonies with a psychedelic arrangement. The follow-up -- again a classic example of British soul -- was a cover of the Four Seasons' "Beggin" and reached number 38 in the charts. At the sessions that produced the hit, a slew of unreleased material -- some of the band's best -- was also recorded and airs the beginning of the Patto/Halsall songwriting partnership. All of these unreleased songs are compiled on The Deram Anthology and are essential listening for anyone with the slightest interest in quality late-'60s rock. The problem was that even Deram viewed Timebox as a pop band, and so the more experimental songs were left in the can while the silly sing-a-long tune "Baked Jam Roll in Your Eye," written for fun when the band members were drunk, was the next release in March 1969. It's styling was a little too late for the era of novelty psychedelia, and of no interest to the more rock-oriented record buyer; the flip-side, the tough "Poor Little Heartbreaker," would have been a far better choice.

By the summer of 1969, things were turning sour. The final release, "Yellow Taxi," was a great record and polite enough for airplay, but was banned due to the nature of the lyrics. This really was the end of the road for Timebox who had had a hard time at the best of times. The nucleus of the band merged into Patto, who released three albums in the 1970s. ~ Jon 'Mojo' Mills, All Music Guide

Social source share

what's it fetchin nowadays???

hiya you can buy a reissue for a tenna but you'll not find the original on Deram 45-85031 for no less than 60 quid and if you do buy it and sit on it for a bit, ive got it and played it on the Northern scene in the past and it filled the floor !!!!

Social source share

Guest OskarB

Always had a soft spot for this. Maybe rather for its obvious quialities as a pop song than as a soul tune. The Magnus Carlsson one had a nice video as well featuring some known faces from the Stockholm soul scene. Can't find it on You Tube tho' :thumbsup:

Really liked the one Keith posted, maybe best one of all versions i've heard.

Btw Sebastian: Mostly out of curiosity, how much for the Magnus Carlsson 7"?

Edited by OskarB
Social source share

Guest scissorsnipper

THINK YOU WILL ALL SAY THIS IS THE BEST VERSION

WHO IS IT ??

I KNOW------------------BUT DO YOU

Ive a nice demo copy

.............Well are you gonna tell us who it is then shades.gif

Social source share

.............Well are you gonna tell us who it is then :huh:
ok here goes====

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

Just create a bit of tension

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

noel mc calla

came out 25th june 1980

on direction

good version isnt it thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I was telling a friend of mine, who has heard the Pilooski remix of this track, about all the other versions.

I told her I'd try and get them all on a cd for her.

I have Pilooski, Four Chimes and Four Seasons version.

If any would like to pm me mp3's of:

Timebox

Noel McCalla

Magnus Carlsson

versions, I would be most happy.

Thanks in advance... :rolleyes:

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Social source share

:) .. sorry Dukester cant agree with that, Timebox version has a better vocal, production & the backing vocals by the Seasons always seems very weak to me. The Frankie Valli version seems very disjointed as well, in contast the timebox is much tighter & punchier in sound & the subtle parts of the sound really come through.

IMHO of course :lol:

IMHO as well, it knocks the spots off the original. Funny, I can't remember much about being a kid in the 60's but I do remember the ONE DAY I had off from junior school and I sat in the window listening to the radio and they played this (Timebox) on radio 1 as a new release.

Social source share

I was going to tell you who Keith's version was by but he spoiled it by giving the answer away. This was released to cash in on the mod revival and they reactivated the Direction label especially. He was a UK based black soul singer who now works with Manfred Manns Earth Band!

I think it's a terrible version by the way

Social source share

Didnt Timebox also do a version of Bunny Sigler's Girl Don't Make Me Wait ?

Yes they did. And a cover of the Spinners I'll Always Love You and Cal Tjaders Soul Sauce. Dammit, used to have all of those. They also did a very weird song called Baked Jam Roll In Your Eye which I used to have.

Social source share

I was telling a friend of mine, who has heard the Pilooski remix of this track, about all the other versions.

I told her I'd try and get them all on a cd for her.

I have Pilooski, Four Chimes and Four Seasons version.

If any would like to pm me mp3's of:

Timebox

Noel McCalla

Magnus Carlsson

versions, I would be most happy.

Thanks in advance... :)

Pete, I saw you had replied and thought you had come up with the MP3's as you usually don't let me down.... :lol:

Anyone out there that can help. I can't be bovered to trawl and download.

Social source share

I remember Johnny Walker saying after he played it (Timebox) that it was the only UK 45 with a vibes solo. Is he right?

Blake

No ....

Timebox released their cover of Cal Tjader's " Soul Sauce " - complete with vibes - under their original name of " The Timebox " on UK Piccadilly ( 7N35379 ) , in 1967 .....

When they moved to Deram , their releases were simply credited to " Timebox " ....

Their version of " SS " is very good ....

Malc Burton

post-5097-1183566511_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!