Motown Assistance Needed, Please

ajb

:shades: "when i became of age, my mother called me to her side. she said " son your growing up now, and pretty soon you'll take a bride", and then she said.................................

"save all your money, and go out and compile the best hour and a half of motown you can."

so, as i don't want to upset my mum, i would like your help. :lol:

what would be your favourite motown dance track/tracks, that no motown "hour an' half" should be without?

help make my mum happy :wicked:

alan

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest southpaw

:shades: "when i became of age, my mother called me to her side. she said " son your growing up now, and pretty soon you'll take a bride", and then she said.................................

"save all your money, and go out and compile the best hour and a half of motown you can."

what would be your favourite motown dance track/tracks, that no motown "hour an' half" should be without?

help make my mum happy :yes:

alan

At Last - Marvin Gaye

Why, when the love is gone - Isley Brothers

Both classics :wicked:

Social source share

help make my mum happy :wicked:

alan

too proud to beg " the temptations"

Social source share

baby changes like the weather - smokey

where do we go from here - supremes

shake me wake me - tops

aint you glad you chose love - gladys knight

what'cha gonna do - terry johnson

control tower - disco machine

love machine - miracles

would hope these would get the first half hour off with a bang

will have to think about the next hour

Social source share

Love Me Motown

track from New Elgins cd

My love For Your Love

my 2 arms-love=Tears

Contours **Take him Back

4 Tops**Sweet was the love

Deep in the Pit of Your Love

Jr Walker **Sweet Dady Deacon

good add on

Chantilly Lace**Shorty Long for Youth Club play

IMO of course

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

Allright Ken,

My favourite motown track without a doubt would have to be The Vows-Tell Me-VIP.

SID :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

aint you glad you chose love - gladys knight

what'cha gonna do - terry johnson

Two fabulous tracks! :thumbsup:

adding some of my personal faves, Supremes "You're So Wonderful To Me", Temptations "Why Did You Leave Me Darling" and "I Gotta Find A Way To Get You Back", Monitors "Since I Lost You" and "Say You", Marvin Gaye "One More Heartache" etc. etc. etc.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest soulful ady

There's plenty but the 2 that do it for me are
I want a love i can see-Temptations

Just to much too hope for-Tammi Terrell

Social source share

There's plenty but the 2 that do it for me are

I want a love i can see-Temptations

Just to much too hope for-Tammi Terrell

Other side,save me,aint bad either.

Social source share

Guest soulful ady

Other side,save me,aint bad either.

Ken,i see the vows is above with Tell Me,out last mouth i heard another frank wilson played,could of swore its the same as the vows with tell me,i could be wrong i'd had a few any ideas..cheers ady

Social source share

Ken,i see the vows is above with Tell Me,out last mouth i heard another frank wilson played,could of swore its the same as the vows with tell me,i could be wrong i'd had a few any ideas..cheers ady

No,dont know shit about motown......next time dont have as many :thumbsup: ,probberly a carver taken off one of them un-issued cd thingie`s,sure somebody with more info will be along in a mo`,hope you work it out.Ken

Social source share

Agreed but have you heard Tammi Terells version

cant upload but on the last double cd release with Marvin

"gotta find a way". as usual with motown same backing track, but with Tammi's vocal blissful

IMO

No i havent,looking forward to some nice person posting it up,off to hospitol catch you later.Ken

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

whistling.gif "when i became of age, my mother called me to her side. she said " son your growing up now, and pretty soon you'll take a bride", and then she said.................................

so, as i don't want to upset my mum, i would like your help. :no:

help make my mum happy :D

alan

Everything that's on Soul Satisfaction Vols 2,3,4 & 5 - but I would say that, wouldn't I :wicked::huh: My favourite at the moment is Singin' Sammy Ward 'Pretty Baby' ft. Stevie Wonder on harmonica....maybe I can sneak that on SS6 - let's see :shades: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Ady, are you saying that you thought Frank Wilson was singing 'Tell Me' or a track similar? I had a track on SS3 that had been attributed to Smokey Robinson but when they got the master tape off the shelf, it was Frank Wilson - 'Til you've been gone'. If anyone's got SS3, could they post the track - i'm in the middle of moving and everything's packed away. Jo

Social source share

Well folks, your prayers have been answered if your in Lodon this sat night 12th May (address details same as the signature below) as we're hosting a full on Motown night at Boogaloosoul. Just to give you a taster of what to expect. I've taken the liberty of posting up my playlist from the last Motown night we held. Read 'em and weep. It'll be a cracker

Bobby Taylor - I've been blessed

Vows - Tell me

Isley Brothers - Behind a painted smile

Spinners - It's a shame

Edwin Starr - Time

Edwin Starr - My kind of woman

Supreme's - Love is like an itching in my heart

Supreme's - Going down for the third time

Jnr Walker - Last call

Four tops - Something about you

Marvin Gaye - Love starved heart

Marvin and Tammi - Ain't no mountain high enough

Kim Weston - Thrill a moment

Barbara McNair - Forget you ever met me baby

Stevie Wonder - Angel Baby

Temptations - Why do you want to make me blue

Martha and Vandellas - Nowhere to run

Four Tops - Shake me wake me

Edited by boogaloo
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

whistling.gif "when i became of age, my mother called me to her side. she said " son your growing up now, and pretty soon you'll take a bride", and then she said.................................

so, as i don't want to upset my mum, i would like your help. :huh:

help make my mum happy :D

alan

Well if it's really for your mum, and she is not into the scene as we say, forget all the suggestion here, just buy Motown chartbusters Vol 3, you have the Classic Motown sound enough said. :no:
Social source share

Guest BillBrewer

Can we have "Helpless" by Kim Weston please?

.... or "In my lonely room" by Martha and the Vandellas?

Social source share

Guest soulful ady

Ady, are you saying that you thought Frank Wilson was singing 'Tell Me' or a track similar? I had a track on SS3 that had been attributed to Smokey Robinson but when they got the master tape off the shelf, it was Frank Wilson - 'Til you've been gone'. If anyone's got SS3, could they post the track - i'm in the middle of moving and everything's packed away. Jo

Hi jo,yeah i was out and about not sure were,the tune played was Frank Wilson "Tell me baby" (or supposed to be) .Soon as it started i thought of the Vows and "Tell Me" .If not it was very close to it unless Frank had wrote it..not Sure however a great sounding track either way..

Ady ps hope the move goes well

Social source share

As you know Jo , I love that track so much I had a vinyl cut done of it....played it at Boogaloo last week :thumbsup:

M

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

As you know Jo , I love that track so much I had a vinyl cut done of it....played it at Boogaloo last week :thumbsup:

M

Martin, could you post a clip? It is a cracking tune.....Jo

Social source share

Without a doubt THE best tune ever to come out of Motown is

Stevie Wonder - I Hear A Symphony

if you haven't heard it, you just don't know what you are missing

At last, someone else who loves this.

Been into Motown since 68 and Northern since 70, and this is the best record I have ever heard.

Bought it when the Motown Sings Treasures CD came out. When it came on I almost cried.

Unsurpassable, unbeatable soul. Can't rate it highly enough.

ATB

Brian B :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Just too many to choose from !

Talking of Motown i had a nice surprise last night was playing a nice audition copy of 'Isley Bros - Take Some Time Out For Love', one which i would definatley add to the list by the way ! Flipped it over to play 'Just Ain't Enough Love' on tother side & what a joy to the ears ! It's a differnt take to the T54146 Just Aint Enough Love issue, there is the addition of a barritone sax (i think) 10 x better !!

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

There's too many good tracks to pick but i think i would say a few like

Diana Ross and the Supremes - Just a Little Misunderstanding

Jimmy Ruffin - He Who Picks A Rose

Isley Brothers - This Old Heart of Mine and

Isley Brothers - Stop in the Name Of Love (by far the best version recorded)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!