Guest skorpiano

• Replies 68
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest kelvinx

Must admit I find this Crow track rather interesting...I stumbled across it recently and I dont recall hearing it first time round and I gather its a Ian Levine job...BUT if Id heard that for the first time today played loud on a decent system at an upfront venue and everyone got up on the floor, Id probably think it was great!

Social source share

I remember the crow from first time round, I read Dave Godin raving about it in B&S and as his word was law, couldn't wait to hear it. Didn't believe it when I heard it -what a dirge! Truly awful. He released it on Right ON and people bought it :thumbsup: . I didn't think Levine had anything to do with it, though that might explain why I loathe it...........

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

Crow is great IMO

Got played at Soul Revolution and packed the floor a couple of months back.

Very similar to some of the funky crossover tunes being played at the moment.

Social source share

I remember the crow from first time round, I read Dave Godin raving about it in B&S and as his word was law, couldn't wait to hear it. Didn't believe it when I heard it -what a dirge! . I didn't think Levine had anything to do with it, though that might explain why I loathe it...........

DID Ian Levine produce this???-I recall that it is on 'Jumping at the Go-Go' (?) So someone else must have thought it worthy, in some way...

In any case, NS/Rare Soul covers a wide range of styles; there are some truly awful records in all of these genres; funny, I keep thinking of R&B, though..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Crow is great IMO

Nowt wrong with Crow, Ferret..................cheers Shrew
:yes:

PS Vvincepce Ian Levine did not produce the Crow (says produced by Progresive Media Inc on my Right On! 45 ) and if you mean the RCA "Jumping........." comp er its not on that either !

Social source share

One more for today, more to follow!

Wombat_I_m_Gettin__On_Life.mp3

The more I hear these trax, the more I realise I may have been wrong thinking they were part of the 'silly season', ah well ... time for bed.

Well....no...a lot of us were in our teens/early twenties when we got into the scene years ago....we just loved the music for what it was...something very different to what the mainstream offered...and yes...at times...some of the music we do cringe at..but i bet most of the movers and shakers on the scene. who are still on the scene now..especially from it's formative period..of which a lot of these records first surfaced....would under thumbscrews....admit to being into some naff(if that's the right word) Northern Classics as stated by Tesco..Best Of Northern soul Cds...Delxxx

Social source share

Guest skorpiano

Yes we were young.

I have recently reunited (via Soulsource) with an old friend I used to go to Wigan with, it brought back many memories along with wondferful wave of nostalgia for a great time on my life.

The soul never really leaves you, does it?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

DID Ian Levine produce this???-I recall that it is on 'Jumping at the Go-Go' (?) So someone else must have thought it worthy, in some way...

In any case, NS/Rare Soul covers a wide range of styles; there are some truly awful records in all of these genres; funny, I keep thinking of R&B, though..... :thumbsup:

We discussed the story behind the Crow on here some time ago. It was a Dave Godin discovery and exclusive which he wrote about in Black Music magazine and promoted at the Cleethorpes allnighters and elsewhere during one of his regular "spats" with Ian Levine in 1975 - knowing full well that it was ideally suited to the experimental Mecca playlists at that time!

A few months later however, Levine managed to get hold of a copy from somewhere and it was duly played in the Highland Room alongside the several other funkier items like Prince George's "Wrong Crowd" and Andre Maurice "Cream Of The Crop" etc. from whence period it is fondly remembered. It was eventually issued in the UK, on Dave Godin's 'Right On!' label, then reissued on Neil Rushton's 'Inferno' label.

I can well imagine it going down like a lead balloon with the more conservative faction of Northern Soul fans (because the rhythm is too funky and radical for 'em basically, and heaven forbid they have to learn any new dance moves after 30 years, eh?) Original copies of the Crow on Inner Ear have remained scarce. John Manship had a copy in one of his auctions several months ago, and it has been regularly cited as an prime example of "Rare Funk" in latter years, like it or not! (Needless to say I love it!)

In reply to the original question though, there are probably several dozen records I've completely lost interest in over the years, only to find that they sound much better lately, as my taste goes full circle (usually years after I've sold 'em, and the price has soared!) One such side is Connie Clark which I'd liked enough at the time, but had barely played in the last 30 years until fairly recently.

(I'm now considering starting my own record label called "Gone Right-Off!" for several others that will probably remain at the back of the box in the foreseeable future!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Yes we were young.

I have recently reunited (via Soulsource) with an old friend I used to go to Wigan with, it brought back many memories along with wondferful wave of nostalgia for a great time on my life.

:thumbsup:thumbsup.gif:thumbsup: Nice one....

The soul never really leaves you, does it?

Absolutely not....long may it reign eh....long may it reign.....anymore for anymore.....Delxx

Social source share

Guest marge

Crow is great IMO

Cracking track, IMO too.

Being too young to do nighters first time round, I heard this alot on acid jazz scene first . Brilliant.

Social source share

I remember the crow from first time round, I read Dave Godin raving about it in B&S and as his word was law, couldn't wait to hear it. Didn't believe it when I heard it -what a dirge! Truly awful. He released it on Right ON and people bought it unsure.gif . I didn't think Levine had anything to do with it, though that might explain why I loathe it...........

Appreciate this is your opinion - was just curious as to why anyone else had anything to do with why you would loathe it!

"Jumping at the go go" are recording's from the RCA label - Fantastic compilation - one of my favourite for as long as I can remember - though I had a thing about RCA black issues when I was 16/17 - and spent my young years collecting the label along with MGM.

The Crow - Your autumn of tomorrow - as mentioned in an earlier post is on Inner Ear and is one of my all time favourite's very happy memories spent dancing to it at Cleethorpes - was fortunate to have had 2 copies of this the last had to go due to reason's beyond my control. :angry: Out of my price range at the mo - sadly, couldn't believe it's value when looking for another copy last year - :thumbsup:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest skorpiano

Hi Skorpiano,

Can you please use the clip player to post sounds on site instead of posting mp3's.

You can find the clip player button at the bottom of each thread.

Thanks,

Mart...

No problem.

S

Social source share

Guest martyn
Well....no...a lot of us were in our teens/early twenties when we got into the scene years ago....we just loved the music for what it was...something very different to what the mainstream offered...and yes...at times...some of the music we do cringe at..but i bet most of the movers and shakers on the scene. who are still on the scene now..especially from it's formative period..of which a lot of these records first surfaced....would under thumbscrews....admit to being into some naff(if that's the right word) Northern Classics as stated by Tesco..Best Of Northern soul Cds...Delxxx
:thumbsup::thumbsup:thumbsup.gif:D Top post.Not a truer word spoken.
Social source share

Guest skorpiano

Brilliant record then and now if you ask me 'skorpiano'.......are you sure its the silly season ?
:thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

Your right Paul the more tracks I post the more I'm not sure it is, or was, the 'silly season'.

So let's have a few more eh?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Also, as for Wombat "Gettin' On Life" I seem to remember a mate of mine from St helens, Chris Bloor(RIP), who was the "Northern" correspondant on the excellent Hot Buttered Soul fanzine, had one of the only copies of this, that he used to lend Levine to play at the Mecca...

Paul

Actually, I'm pretty certain Wombat was started off by Graham Warr at the Catacombs in late 1973. Perhaps 'Blue Max' Millward can confirm this.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Right, let's get going ...

Bits__N__Pieces_Keep_On_Running_Away.mp3 ( 2.55mb ) Number of downloads: 6

Brilliant record then and now if you ask me 'skorpiano'.......are you sure its the silly season ?
:thumbup:

Cheers Paul

I think Bits N' Pieces is absolutely superb! (What a fantastic vocal!) It's been in my 'faves' box for ever, so there!

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

How about tracks that you can never understand why they were ever played at all...

Main Change / Sunshine is her way

Lucky Charms / Tied to your heart thmbdn.gif

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Yes we were young.

I've found a couple of old friends too. It's great, one of them is coming over to see us next year.

Some of these songs I don't realise I know them till I hear them. I always remembered Spring Rain being better somehow. Probably the acoustics and the atmosphere gave it a bit more oomph!

Una

Social source share

Guest skorpiano

Una

Yes, these tunes need to be played loud, to really appreciate them.

S

PS

What do you think of this?

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Good Lord, that is awful .. where was/is it played?

Was a Searling cover up at Wigan... Even the great have off days :thumbsup:

Has anyone got an mp3 of "The Lucky Charms" so we can all be reminded how low the scene sunk in the 70's....

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I remember that being played out - who was the offender?

:thumbsup:

Another Searling cover up. I think Gary Rushbrook played it as well.

A million times better than Lucky Charms :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!