Somebody Of You Likes Angelo Bond...?

Hello to every one.

From my teens, when I discovered Angelo in a spanish Mediterr¡neo - ABC compilation entitled "Soul Food / Soul a la Carta", I allways saved an honorific place to "Reach For The Moon (Poor People)" in a high status. A few years later I founded the LP "Bondage" (printed in USA) and the rest of the tracks are also very fine material as the one wich starts the A side "Goodbye My Love". Dramatic feel and lyrics, poetry and a falsetto voice that don't have much in common to The Wizard, Eugene Record or some other more famous falsetto.

post-8354-1178880741_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hello to every one.

From my teens, when I discovered Angelo in a spanish Mediterr¡neo - ABC compilation entitled "Soul Food / Soul a la Carta", I allways saved an honorific place to "Reach For The Moon (Poor People)" in a high status. A few years later I founded the LP "Bondage" (printed in USA) and the rest of the tracks are also very fine material as the one wich starts the A side "Goodbye My Love". Dramatic feel and lyrics, poetry and a falsetto voice that don't have much in common to The Wizard, Eugene Record or some other more famous falsetto.

Most people don't know this, but Angelo was a member of the majjesttees on mutt, who were also an excellent group that cut a great 45.

Social source share

Hi Boba,

Thanks for the response. I not only unknown that before, but don't knows practically NOTHING about Angelo. Only the credits info in the LP (appears an Shirley Jones female bacground who I ignore if is related to the one from Jones Girls...?).

Also in the book "Sweet Soul Music" by Peter Gurlanick he refers to him briefly and there is the lyrics of "Reach For The Moon" in the book. In my LP copy, there is a inner paper with all the lyrics wich Angelo is the author appart from playing all the keyboards.

Cheers & Soul Food

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Hi Boba,

Thanks for the response. I not only unknown that before, but don't knows practically NOTHING about Angelo. Only the credits info in the LP (appears an Shirley Jones female bacground who I ignore if is related to the one from Jones Girls...?).

Also in the book "Sweet Soul Music" by Peter Gurlanick he refers to him briefly and there is the lyrics of "Reach For The Moon" in the book. In my LP copy, there is a inner paper with all the lyrics wich Angelo is the author appart from playing all the keyboards.

Cheers & Soul Food

There you go....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulful_Tapestry - helped produce Honey Cone along with Greg Perry and Generla Johnson. Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Also helped produce Laura Lee - excellent piece by Colin Dilnot. Scroll down until you come to the bit about Hot Wax....and Angelo is mentioned in that paragraph.

https://mslauralee.blogspot.com/

Plus a collaboration of writers for an anti war song....

Bring the Boys Home

Written by Gregory S. Perry/General Norman Johnson/Angelo Bond Gold - Forever Music Inc. (BMI)

This song was recorded by an artist named Freda Payne in 1971, in opposition to the Vietnam War. The single, even though it was released as an "anti war" song, reached number 12 on the U.S. pop charts, and number three on the R&B chart.

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest Darks

Cheers & Soul Food

"He gained the world but lost his soul" Forgot this was in the book.

Love "Reach for the moon" play it all the time. Great stuff. Does anyone know if he recorded anything else in additon to the ABC album? He does appear to be a well connected back room boy.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Also helped produce Laura Lee - excellent piece by Colin Dilnot. Scroll down until you come to the bit about Hot Wax....and Angelo is mentioned in that paragraph.

https://mslauralee.blogspot.com/

Plus a collaboration of writers for an anti war song....

Bring the Boys Home

Written by Gregory S. Perry/General Norman Johnson/Angelo Bond Gold - Forever Music Inc. (BMI)

This song was recorded by an artist named Freda Payne in 1971, in opposition to the Vietnam War. The single, even though it was released as an "anti war" song, reached number 12 on the U.S. pop charts, and number three on the R&B chart.

Yes, following the departure of Motown to Los Angeles, Angelo Bond seems to have been part of the general Detroit/Invictus staff exodus to the West Coast, signing with ABC records along with the Four Tops, Lamont Dozier, Popcorn Wylie etc. etc. Also McKinley Jackson wrote much of Dozier's first album for ABC. Popcorn Wylie's track "Lost Time" on ABC 7"/LP caused a bit of a stir in "our" circle back then. Very like a "Rosemary What Happened..." for the 'Seventies in fact.

An edited version of "Eve", minus the long drawn out intro, was released on ABC 7" and got some attention as a new release in 1975, and I daresay got spins somewhere too. I do prefer the longer album version myself, though.

Incidently, "Bring The Boys Home" was banned from being played on South East Asia's force's network radio. Freedom rules eh?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Woooow!

Great stuff. Thank you' all very much for the responses, Mel, Vinylvixen and Darks. About "Eve", sounds to mu hears a little like a typical "blaxplotation" sound track.

In the "Soul Food / Soul a la Carta" Mediterr¡neo - ABC album I refered in my first post, there was also some other GREAT tracks by artists I never knows nothing before and never heard nothing.

Here's the track-list. Indicated by (***) are these two good tracks by these artists I wonder who are and some bio - discography:

Side A:

"Chocolate Chip" - Isaac Hayes

"Warning" - Clarence Carter

"Fighting To Keep My Head Above Water" - Frankie Redmond (***)

"How Long (Betcha...)" - Pointer Sisters

"...." - Freda Payne (don't remeber the title, an discoffied uptempo)

"Loving Time" - Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr.

"Everlasting Love" - Carl Carlton

"Disco Connection" - Isaac Hayes

Side B:

"You Got The Love" - Rufus

"Steps From True Love" - Billy Davis Jr.

"Get Off On You" - Lydia Pense & Cold Blood

"Original Midnight Mama" - Sylvia Smith (***)

"Time" - Mighty Clouds Of Joy

"You're Fooling You" - The Dramatics

"Theme from SWAT" - Rythm Heritage

Cheers and Soul Food

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!