Ponds Forge - Sheffield - Top Tuneage

Thanks to Mark, Errol, Tony and all the gang at 'Ponds Forge', Sheffield for inviting me over to DJ last night, good to see 'The Attic Boy's' from Mansfield Kev, Steve and Dean, Paul and Sue from Doncaster, Sheila, Steve Mannion (blinding selections there Steve), Brett Franklin, Rachel and the few other people who attended, a little down on numbers compared to the last time i visited the venue about three years ago but the music was i feel second to none, i'm sure Mark and the guys will add their comments and thoughts on the night later but keep your chins up guy's you are top blokes with a passion for all things soulful.

I rushed home from work yesterday around 4pm got changed grabbed the tunes and got the train over from Manchester arrived around 8.30pm, nice venue, plush infact, good sound system and nice people.....what more do you want?

Sheila warmed the night up followed by Mark, Steve Mannion, myself, Tony and Errol finished the night off, the tunes were varried and of a quality throughout just a shame numbers were low but this seems to be a bit of a trend in recent times at many venues nationwide....too much on i feel it's as simple as that but all you can do is make the best of it and play tunes with the same passion as if the venue was packed, personally i just love playing tunes to people so i try to entertain no matter how big or small the crowd is and i hope the following selections were enjoyed by the nice people there last night.

Many thanks to Roger Williams fellow 'Solar' chappie and bloody nice bloke for giving me a lift back to Manchester, good conversation and good company...cheers mate.

Skip Jackson And The Shantons - I'm On To You Girl - Dot-Mar

The Chimes - The Beginning Of My Life - Down To Earth

Roy (Cortez) Butler - A Dream - Boo

The Ethics - I Want My Baby Back - Vent

Roy Robert - I Know What To Do To Satisfy You - Tina

Detroit Emeralds - Holding On - Westbound

Delegates Of Soul - I'll Come Running Back - Up Look

The Constellations - I Don't Know About You - Gemini Star

The Quotations - I Don't Have To Worry - Di Venus

Claude "Baby" Huey - Drifting - M.I.O.B.

Jesse Fisher - Your Not Loving A Beginner - Way Out

Big Don's Rebellion - It Was True - Ethon DJ

The Cashmeres - Show Stopper - Hem

The Stratoliners - What Do You Want With My Love - Federal

Minnie Jones And The Minuettes - Shadow Of A Memory - Sugar

Johnny Rodgers With The Nu Tones - Make A Change - Amon

Seminoles - You Can Lump It - Mid Town

The Four Sonics - Easier Said Than Done - Sport

The Bronzettes - (Beggin) Baby Don't Leave Me - Double Soul

Bobby Kline - Say Something Nice To Me - MB

Timothy Wilson - Just Another Guy (On A String) Buddah

I think that's pretty much it may have missed one or two sorry, in no particular running order either....lol Now onto Sunderland for more of the same.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks to Mark, Errol, Tony and all the gang at 'Ponds Forge', Sheffield for inviting me over to DJ last night, good to see 'The Attic Boy's' from Mansfield Kev, Steve and Dean, Paul and Sue from Doncaster, Sheila, Steve Mannion (blinding selections there Steve), Brett Franklin, Rachel and the few other people who attended, a little down on numbers compared to the last time i visited the venue about three years ago but the music was i feel second to none, i'm sure Mark and the guys will add their comments and thoughts on the night later but keep your chins up guy's you are top blokes with a passion for all things soulful.

I rushed home from work yesterday around 4pm got changed grabbed the tunes and got the train over from Manchester arrived around 8.30pm, nice venue, plush infact, good sound system and nice people.....what more do you want?

Sheila warmed the night up followed by Mark, Steve Mannion, myself, Tony and Errol finished the night off, the tunes were varried and of a quality throughout just a shame numbers were low but this seems to be a bit of a trend in recent times at many venues nationwide....too much on i feel it's as simple as that but all you can do is make the best of it and play tunes with the same passion as if the venue was packed, personally i just love playing tunes to people so i try to entertain no matter how big or small the crowd is and i hope the following selections were enjoyed by the nice people there last night.

Many thanks to Roger Williams fellow 'Solar' chappie and bloody nice bloke for giving me a lift back to Manchester, good conversation and good company...cheers mate.

Skip Jackson And The Shantons - I'm On To You Girl - Dot-Mar

The Chimes - The Beginning Of My Life - Down To Earth

Roy (Cortez) Butler - A Dream - Boo

The Ethics - I Want My Baby Back - Vent

Roy Robert - I Know What To Do To Satisfy You - Tina

Detroit Emeralds - Holding On - Westbound

Delegates Of Soul - I'll Come Running Back - Up Look

The Constellations - I Don't Know About You - Gemini Star

The Quotations - I Don't Have To Worry - Di Venus

Claude "Baby" Huey - Drifting - M.I.O.B.

Jesse Fisher - Your Not Loving A Beginner - Way Out

Big Don's Rebellion - It Was True - Ethon DJ

The Cashmeres - Show Stopper - Hem

The Stratoliners - What Do You Want With My Love - Federal

Minnie Jones And The Minuettes - Shadow Of A Memory - Sugar

Johnny Rodgers With The Nu Tones - Make A Change - Amon

Seminoles - You Can Lump It - Mid Town

The Four Sonics - Easier Said Than Done - Sport

The Bronzettes - (Beggin) Baby Don't Leave Me - Double Soul

Bobby Kline - Say Something Nice To Me - MB

Timothy Wilson - Just Another Guy (On A String) Buddah

I think that's pretty much it may have missed one or two sorry, in no particular running order either....lol Now onto Sunderland for more of the same.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

We look at playlists and think, ooh, some nice records there, but on the night, Marks selections were brilliant. The spot was full of class soul music, put together brilliantly and seamlessly. Quality, and pleasure to listen too :yes:

Musically a great night imo, pity about the numbers though. Cunnie came to the decks in the main room laughing, as I was playing a modern track, while in the modern room, Brett as playing 60's crossover :P

Plylist in no particular order :

James Brown - Lost Someone

Joe Valentine - I lost The Only Love I Ever Had

Imperial C's - Someone Tell her

Peggy Gaines - When The Boy That You love

Brenda and the Tabulations - Thats In The Past

Jean Wells - What Have I Got To Lose

San Franciscan TKO's - Make Up Yur Mind

Brand New - Thousand Years

Robert Tanner - Sweet Memories

Billy Preston - The Girls Got it

Showmen - Try It Baby

Anita Humes - What Would I Do

Johnny Summers - I Can't Let Go

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You

Continental Showstoppers - Not Too Young

Terry Cailler - Look At Me Now

21st Century - Shadow Of A Memory

Bobby Reed - Time Is Right For Love

Cookie Scott - I Don't Care

Hesitations - Is This The Way To Treat A Girl

Wilie Tee - First Taste Of Hurt

Determinations - Bing Bong

Rhonda Davis - Can You Remember

Edited by SteveM

To quote from a previous post by Trevski (22nd Feb) referring to poor attendance at Blackburn Hall -"The Yorkshire Disease" is spreading fast.

The 2 guest DJ's last night , Steve and Mark deserved a far bigger crowd for 2 hours of quality soul with a capital 'S' :thumbsup:whistling.gif as you can see from the playlists posted.

Well done to both of you for pleasing a small but very happy set of punters.

On top of that the usual quality stuff from Mark,Errol and Tony and you had the ingredients of a top soul night which should have attracted 100 + like minded people.

Unfortunately the numbers were nearer half that amount and I feel really gutted for the efforts put in by all concerned. I do agree with Mark B's comment that there are too many venues and most people only manage Friday or Saturday to go out for various reasons, but I'll bet a certain well known venue has no problem with punters tonight playing mainly classic Oldies and Motown.

Nevertheless another top night at PF with a great mix of 60's and 70's by all concerned.

On a sad note Tony announced that the next night at PF will be September which is the Anniversary. Really sorry to hear this guys but totally understand why and if you decide to change your mind you will have our support for arguably one of the best venues in Yorkshire over the last few years.

See you all soon

Paul & Sue , Doncaster. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

To quote from a previous post by Trevski (22nd Feb) referring to poor attendance at Blackburn Hall -"The Yorkshire Disease" is spreading fast.

The 2 guest DJ's last night , Steve and Mark deserved a far bigger crowd for 2 hours of quality soul with a capital 'S' :thumbsup:whistling.gif as you can see from the playlists posted.

Well done to both of you for pleasing a small but very happy set of punters.

On top of that the usual quality stuff from Mark,Errol and Tony and you had the ingredients of a top soul night which should have attracted 100 + like minded people.

Unfortunately the numbers were nearer half that amount and I feel really gutted for the efforts put in by all concerned. I do agree with Mark B's comment that there are too many venues and most people only manage Friday or Saturday to go out for various reasons, but I'll bet a certain well known venue has no problem with punters tonight playing mainly classic Oldies and Motown.

Nevertheless another top night at PF with a great mix of 60's and 70's by all concerned.

On a sad note Tony announced that the next night at PF will be September which is the Anniversary. Really sorry to hear this guys but totally understand why and if you decide to change your mind you will have our support for arguably one of the best venues in Yorkshire over the last few years.

See you all soon

Paul & Sue , Doncaster. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

yes, sad news about the closure(that's right isn't it??).Really enjoyed last nite,quality music from when we arrived(9.30) to leaving(1.15).Maybe after a break,the promoters of PF might start up elsewhere?...KEV.

Edited by KevH

To be frank 3 of the best consecutive spots I've heard in some time. Steve M. Big Daddy Mark and Tony (sorry had to be off about 01.00 just as Errol came on but had an early start with kids Sat morn - was tough to get Kev H off of dancefloor though). Quality time after time and fitted together not thrown together. Bronzettes sounding good Mark, and Jesse Fisher firm fav of mine. System sounded great and surroundings cool.

Top spots all - honestly. But what also impressed was the small crowd. Even though there was a clear lack of numbers of people, those there all took part and generated quite a feel. The dancefloor was feeling good. The lady in black trousers and black top (sorry don't know your name) was one of the classiest movers I've seen in some time. Seems to me there was quality both sides of the decks. Promoters are geniune happy guys, hope you resurface soon. Hope to get to Sept aniversary night which should be a celebration of a great venue not a wake.

Really enjoyed the night, thanks to all who flashed a smile.

Dean

Guest lagerlout

THIS IS REALLY SAD NEWS AND HOPE IT CAN BE PUT RIGHT.LOVED TRAVELLING TO THE PONDS AND ALWAYS AN EXCELLENT NIGHT MUSICALLY AND SOCIAL WISE ALSO.

HEARD MANY NEW STUFF TO ME AT THE PONDS AND THE LADS INSPIRED ME TO GET A NIGHT GOING IN MY HOME TOWN BE IT NOT A MONTHLY ONE AND NOT CLASHING WITH OTHERS.

PONDS ARE ONE OF THE FOREFRONT IN PLAYING SOMETHING THAT LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT NOW AND AGAIN WHICH IS RE-FRESHING FOR THE SCENE AND CROWD.

ITS ASHAME, THE LOCAL SOUL SCENE IN SHEFFIELD AND SURRONDING AREAS WILL ALMOST WITHOUT DOUBT SUFFER WITH THE CLOSURE,( IF IT GOES AHEAD), AND WILL ONLY HAVE THEMSELVES TO BLAME FOR NOT SUPPORTING ONE OF THE FINEST NIGHTS IN YORKSHIRE.

PETE