• Replies 168
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

post-6465-1179277414_thumb.jpg

Not a 45 rpm sleeve I know..........but as there are so many amazing and rare photos on this thread I had to add this one.........I just reckon Tina Mason (or Judy Street as legend has it?) has got to be the best looking white Soul artist ever? How stunning is she ? :D

post-6465-1179278016_thumb.jpg

And a great pic of the "Impact" LP from the "shades of blue" which is a great LP and the "Duke Browner" pen was in on the session! thumbsup.gif

post-6465-1179278312_thumb.jpg

the most amazing Soul 33 in history ....................."the Tempests"

Any more nice photographs off 45s or 33 rpms? Its just great to see all these old Soul photographs :lol:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

The Mohawks is a cracker........I have never seen that before
thumbsup.gif

Only seen the one myself mossy...................so I bought it ! Pretty cheap too in the scheme of things.

Got some more of those "non picture designed sleeves" I:ll post some more later.

Cheers Paul

PS Its a Dutch release

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

OOOOOOH.....some nice stuff there Mel, but the Little Willie John takes the biscuit.... the rare original cover showing a white nurse, very nice, the only ones I've ever seen just have the word Fever in block letters, like mine :huh: ..........I'm jealous now and I'm going off for a sulk... tongue.gif

Cheers to all contribitors to the thread some lovely and very desirable pieces indeed :thumbsup: .

Derek.

No probs Del......... :thumbsup:

a couple more.

post-6164-1179358893_thumb.jpg

post-6164-1179358923.jpg

post-6164-1179384210.jpg

post-6164-1179384227_thumb.jpg

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

Love that Royalettes melandthensome......................... the record and the sleeve thumbsup.gif

Last few from me for a bit cos I'm off out to meet my mates Hans 'n' Harry the fingerpoppin' soul guys for a couple of beers a bite to eat and then down to the studio to watch/hear their show which tonight is their "InThe Basement vinyl spotlight special". Those of you on here who read In The Basement will know they did the latest vinyl spotlight so if you were intrigued by the selections you can hear them tonight between 9 and 11 o'clock (UK time ) if you go to www.fingerpoppinsoul.nl and click listen live

Cheers Paul

post-2721-1179412726_thumb.jpgpost-2721-1179412799_thumb.jpgpost-2721-1179412894_thumb.jpgpost-2721-1179412977_thumb.jpgpost-2721-1179413070_thumb.jpg[attac

ment=28479:IMG_0332.JPG]

post-2721-1179413177_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Thanks to everyone for posting all these fantastic covers up, some real gems !

Last one from me then I am off on me hols :thumbsup: Thanks again Soul source

post-6465-1179502537_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Bon voyage mossy hope you"re going somewhere where you can pick up some nice picture sleeves :thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

Ibiza buddy, and you never know what your gonna pick up there :thumbsup: But i bet it won't be picture sleeves :thumbsup:

Cheers M

Social source share

Hello to all again!

Hi, Paul,

I never saw the Spring Rain 45 here in Spain. It seems was published by Hispavox and not under the Salsoul logo (?). Bebbu Silvetti (RIP) was established here in Spain during years and he produced and writed for pop - "tonadillera" singer and also recently passed away Roc­o Jurado (my mother got some stuff by her).

Here's some more spanish 45's (Hugo & Luigi distributed by Edigsa and is a white-label promotional copy; Avco distributed by Columbia; Roulette by Columbia - Carnaby and also a copy - the one of "Touch & Go" - a white label promotional; PIR by spanish CBS; CNR-Disco Injection by Cofasa and The Whispers by spanish RCA).

Nice one The Trammp's "Move" that it seems an european production from 1984 (I asked about this to Bobby Eli on "Soilfuldetroit.com" forum). Also, in the discotheque where I worked as barman when I was young and student, the DJ's got a 12'' with a solo accapella version in the flip side where Jimmy Ellis is at his best gospel style!

post-8354-1179663615_thumb.jpg

post-8354-1179663653_thumb.jpg

post-8354-1179663686_thumb.jpg

post-8354-1179663731_thumb.jpg

post-8354-1179663769_thumb.jpg

post-8354-1179663809_thumb.jpg

post-8354-1179663837_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Hi manny

The two other Silvettis are both Dutch one featuring the longer (5;56 min ) version of 'Sring Rain "

These are also on Hispa Vox. I have a spanish Salsoul LP , Doble Exposure "Ten Percent" which I think pre dates Silvetti maybe Salsoul liscenced Silvetti from Hispa Vox ?

Cheers Paul

post-2721-1179666342_thumb.jpgpost-2721-1179666432_thumb.jpgpost-2721-1179666556_thumb.jpgpost-2721-1179666648_thumb.jpgpost-2721-1179666758_thumb.jpg

post-2721-1179666157_thumb.jpg

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Hi again, Paul

I don't knows about deals and licenses betwen Hispavox and Salsoul. Salsoul edited some stuff only as distributor, I think, as the case of Blondy or the Gold Mind label owned by Norman Harris.

The vinyls I have by Hispavox, says "Fabricado en Espa±a por Hispavox S.A., Madrid" and they distributed ALL the Atlantic stuff. In fact I only got two vinyls by Salsoul, Bunny Sigler's "Let It Snow" and Salsoul Orchestra "Magic Journey" LP's, both originally pressed in the US and were imports. The rest I have is all UK Charly-Salsoul reeditions or one Bethlem - Israelian reedition ("Mestizo", by Joe Bataan) or the also UK compilations under the Salsoul re-birth logo ("Candido - Anthology" double CD).

I have had the 45 of The O'Jays (spanish Epic yellow label) of "Shiftless, Shady,..." as the flip side of "Time To Get Down". There was a period when I purchased an album and inmediately I give the single (or the singles!) to a friend who also likes some soul music.

Social source share

Nice one manny :P

Whats the flipside of the Masqueraders? And whats the Spinners?

Cheers Paul

Hi again, Paul

The flip side of "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" is "Asunto de Amor" ("One Of A Kind -Love Affair-").

The flip side of Masquerader's "Listen" is Bacharach-David cover "baby It's You" (both from their ABC - Hot Buttered Soul LP "Everybody Wanna Live On", 1976).

A flip side I likes more than the A side is the one in the Manhattans 45, "Gipsy Man".

P.D.: great photo in the Phyllis Hyman sleeve. A great jazz-soul female voice and beautiful woman, sadly passed away... Also, the sleeve of Terri Wells, is the first pic by her I see. I only have her cover of Spinner's "I'll Be Around" in a UK 12'' compilation by various artists (Old Gold) and some collaboration with Dexter Wansel.

Social source share

The Terri Wells collaboration would be "The Sweetest Pain" I guess

I have a picture sleeve of her version of "I'll Be Around" I'll try and post it next week tho I think "You Make It Heaven" is a better record( by her !!! love the Spinners 'I"ll Be Around")

I think "Baby Its You" is a fantastic Masqueraders ballad. I have the LP produced by Isaac Hayes its quite a long track on the LP I guess the 45 is an edit? Nice "modern dancer on the LP too "Sweet Sweetening"

Love any picture of Phyliss.............this one is a copy from her 'Can't We Fall In Love Again" Arista LP

Cheers Paul

PS Thats a really nice picture of Gil Scott Heron too

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

The track "Baby It's You" in the Masquerader's 45 is 6 minutes 38'' long.

Yes, you're right Paul. Terri Welles appears on "Sweetest Pain" and also, I "discovered" her voice much before when I purchased "Life On Mars" Wansel album when I was aged 16 years old. She sings on the cool ballad "Together Once Again".

I got the UK Westside "Phylladelphia. The G & H Years" by Phyllis and, in the booklet there are very beautiful photos... She was also a top model.

Social source share

Full version of the Masqueraders then

Phyliss Hyman "Forever With You " CD is well worth picking up, released in 2000(?) tracks left in the can at Philly and re-masrtered by Dexter Wansell

"Together Once Again" is a wonderful track also done to great effect by the great Jean Carn on her "Happy To Be With You" LP

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!