Apollas & Hb Barnum: Cleethorpes Weekender Stars

Hot news from the 6TS nerve centre.

Unfortunately due to illness Kell Osborne isn't well enough to travel. However we have the stunning girl soul group The Apollas as replacements and they will be regaling us with the stomping sounds of You're Absolutely Right, Sorry Mama, Just Can't Get Enough and the Northern classic Mr Creator.

HB Barnum needs no introduction and we are very fortunate to get a musician of his calibre to come over and give a very rare live vocal performance when he is so busy working with Aretha and many other world famous singers. He will be singing his Northern hits It Hurts Too Much To Cry, Heartbreaker, Three Rooms With Running Water, his modern soul classics If You Want A Love Affair, All Alone By The Telephone and has promised more surprises, which if you remember his sensational performance at the Great Yarmouth TAC weekender twenty years ago, should be quite something.

Weekend passes are still available www.6ts.info for details.

Edited by ady croasdell
  • Replies 28
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Wow!

Whats the story with The Apollas, are they reforming esp. for event?

HB had said he was making it a bit of a family trip and coming over with his son and a couple of friends. Later on he told me to book the room in the name Crotty and I knew his sister Billie was married now Mrs Pat Crotty so a rather dull light went on in my head and I asked if it was she? Of course it was so when Kell had to pull out I suggested perhaps she could sing a couple of numbers with some of our backing girls' he said that'd be great why not get the other two original group members and do it properly. So yes they are reforming especially for us and that's how this thing happened. I've met Billie a few times and she is one of the revered LA female session singers who have appeared on more hit records than Nipper the HMV dog. I'm going to research Ella and Leola now!

HB had said he was making it a bit of a family trip and coming over with his son and a couple of friends. Later on he told me to book the room in the name Crotty and I knew his sister Billie was married now Mrs Pat Crotty so a rather dull light went on in my head and I asked if it was she? Of course it was so when Kell had to pull out I suggested perhaps she could sing a couple of numbers with some of our backing girls' he said that'd be great why not get the other two original group members and do it properly. So yes they are reforming especially for us and that's how this thing happened. I've met Billie a few times and she is one of the revered LA female session singers who have appeared on more hit records than Nipper the HMV dog. I'm going to research Ella and Leola now!

Great little story Ady, must get the gangs bottoms in gear and book the passes.

I unapproved the last 6ts thread as requested, shall i just delete it now?

Guest stash313

Looking forward to the Modern room again this Year, always a good laugh. Cleethorpes being part 3 of my attempt to do 6 weekenders in 5 months... laugh.gif

Guest gordon russell

OK FOLKS

who,s going to the best bloody weekender and why.

IMHO this has always been the best weekender and always will be,head and shoulders above all others and here,s why.This event has always been run by a promoter who is also a soul fan through and through,not only does he run some of the best do,s out there he is alway,s to be seen at OTHER peoples do,s just having a beer and enjoying himself.SADLY we can,t say that about many so called promoters can we.

the venue itself has no frills just two rooms just the right size. It dosn,t resemble a cross between CEASERS PALACE, THE MARKET in EAST ENDERS and a record fair at the WORLD DARTS CAMPIONSHIPS AT THE LAKESIDE. its always about 90% full of fans of SOUL MUSIC. the accomodation is very plesant as against a freezing cold hi de hi type camp. one other weekender in particular is clearly run by big bussiness and it shows by trying to cram in as many punters as they can. but l predict this will be its downfall,the fact that ADY dosn,t run his do in this way is what makes it so so appealing.

Lastly the people that attend this weekender year in and year out are true soul fans mostly understated,up for a good time NO HANDBAGGERS here thank god.

there is an old saying that sums CLEETHORPES WEEKENDER up perfectly LESS IS MORE and I for one f**kin love it

I'll be there, looking forward to it as always :wicked:

Agree with your comments 100%. Cleethorpes is just a great weekend. Atmosphere just tops.

Keep it simple two rooms with quality music.

The Sunday night is just absolute quality and you just wouldn't believe some of the stuff played. Cleethorpes is the only place you'd get away with it, such a great party atmosphere!

True Soul weekender for true Soul people :wicked:

JohnS

OK FOLKS

who,s going to the best bloody weekender and why.

IMHO this has always been the best weekender and always will be,head and shoulders above all others and here,s why.This event has always been run by a promoter who is also a soul fan through and through,not only does he run some of the best do,s out there he is alway,s to be seen at OTHER peoples do,s just having a beer and enjoying himself.SADLY we can,t say that about many so called promoters can we.

the venue itself has no frills just two rooms just the right size. It dosn,t resemble a cross between CEASERS PALACE, THE MARKET in EAST ENDERS and a record fair at the WORLD DARTS CAMPIONSHIPS AT THE LAKESIDE. its always about 90% full of fans of SOUL MUSIC. the accomodation is very plesant as against a freezing cold hi de hi type camp. one other weekender in particular is clearly run by big bussiness and it shows by trying to cram in as many punters as they can. but l predict this will be its downfall,the fact that ADY dosn,t run his do in this way is what makes it so so appealing.

Lastly the people that attend this weekender year in and year out are true soul fans mostly understated,up for a good time NO HANDBAGGERS here thank god.

there is an old saying that sums CLEETHORPES WEEKENDER up perfectly LESS IS MORE and I for one f**kin love it

really looking forward to this one

Guest recordman

Yep Booked It Packed It We will be there I have to say I like this event, Maybe it's coz that the

Jonesmiester is spinnin'

One word of caution I hope Ade does not let some of local pissheads in as happened last year might need to :ohmy:

Yep Booked It Packed It We will be there I have to say I like this event, Maybe it's coz that the

Jonesmiester is spinnin'

One word of caution I hope Ade does not let some of local pissheads in as happened last year might need to :wicked:

If anyone plays up just let us know and we'll do the :huh: thank you very much. HB Barnum reckons he was handy in the Golden Gloves amateur boxing trials (he said he'd done Berry Gordy in one of them!) so he might jump off the stage like Jackie Wilson once did and laid three blokes out!

...The Apollas...Northern classic Mr Creator...

This is one of my favourite songs of all time!!! Yippee! Can't wait -- only 17 days to go!

Guest Ollie Lailey

Cant wait! Second vist to Cleethorpes weekender. Looking forward to great music and great laughs! By far the best weekender going!

:P

Guest gordon russell

We're now negotiating for some special real ale beer with a soulful twist. Watch this space!

cor l love real ale ady hope your not teasing us

Not missed this event since '95 and always said if i never go anywhere else i will still do Cleethorpes!

Just when i think it can't get any better it does just that!

Took a dj booking for the friday night elsewhere without realising so gutted i won't arrive on the east coast till very early saturday morning :angry:

Will make up for it though i'm sure :thumbsup:

Not long to go, but the next 2 weeks gonna seem like 2 months

Guest gordon russell

not long til the real deal no 1 weekender top place top people top music

so IF YOU WANT A WEEKEND FULL OF CHEER A BIT OF DANCING AND LOADS OF G..BEER

WHERE THE ACCOMMODATION AND ATMOSPHERE ARE GREAT THEN MAKE SURE THAT YOUR NOT LATE

GET YOURSELF THERE AND MAKE SOME TRACKS, CAUSE THIS IS WHERE THE LIVE ACTS ARE REAL FACTS

THE MUSIC POLICY IS NEVER STAID, THE TOP TUNES ARE PLAYED AND THE DJ,S GET PAID

SO GET YOURSELF THERE FOR FUN AND FROLLOCKS THIS WEEKENDER IS THE DOGS BOLLOCKS

SEE YOU ALL THERE