Clapham - Function At The Juction

Does anyone remember the Function at the Junction - Clapham which was, at the time, probably the leading soul night in the country.

The Function at the Junction nights were held upstairs at the Coronet Pub in Clapham some 20 years ago now. At the time nighters were the order of the day and there was really very little interest in soul nights. However this venue seemed to be the exception to that rule. Although my memory isn't great on this as I was only able to attend on a couple of occasions I do recall the venue being first class as was the music policy.

I can't remember who promoted or dj'd at the venue but I'm sure that I saw Stuart Cosgrove there, don't know if he was a regular attendee though. Although it's some 20 years ago I do believe that this was a really important venue. Having said that the passing of time might have just clouded my judgement on this a little.

It would be really useful to know when and why the nights finished and what happened to the venue.

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Does anyone remember the Function at the Junction - Clapham which was, at the time, probably the leading soul night in the country.

The Function at the Junction nights were held upstairs at the Coronet Pub in Clapham some 20 years ago now. At the time nighters were the order of the day and there was really very little interest in soul nights. However this venue seemed to be the exception to that rule. Although my memory isn't great on this as I was only able to attend on a couple of occasions I do recall the venue being first class as was the music policy.

I can't remember who promoted or dj'd at the venue but I'm sure that I saw Stuart Cosgrove there, don't know if he was a regular attendee though. Although it's some 20 years ago I do believe that this was a really important venue. Having said that the passing of time might have just clouded my judgement on this a little.

It would be really useful to know when and why the nights finished and what happened to the venue.

Smart place,it dont get better

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

We've had a thread about this before. The gig was promoted by (the original) Terry Davis and Ian Clark who were also the regular DJs. Most of the guest DJ's who played there - myself and Tony Ellis included - also played at the original 6T's gigs in West Hampstead and Covent Garden.

I can't remember exactly when it came to an end, but I can remember why - "The Cornet" became Jongleurs Comedy Club, and music nights were discontinued by the owners in favour of stand up comedians. Personally I thought that the FATJ DJ's were funnier, and I know for sure that we played better records, but there you go.

It's still Jongleurs to this day, BTW...

Social source share

These were fantastic events and ran for about a year, if memory serves me correctly.

As others have pointed out the room itself was perfectly suited for a soul club. The London soul scene didn't take itself too seriously in those days and the place had a properly hedonistic atmosphere with great music.

The 100 Club had just started to feel like a fully-fledged Northern Soul venue and the Function attempted to keep the particular feel of 60s club soul going in the capital.

I was still at school at the time and these were the days before night-buses. How I got home to North London from Lavender Hill I can't quite remember... happy days.

Social source share

Totally agree mate,fun was the order of the day. Remember Jock Mitchell used to get played alongside other classic oldies. Ian Clark who was probably my favourite soul dj,great taste in rare 60s, 70s & crossover he had the lot :D

These were fantastic events and ran for about a year, if memory serves me correctly.

As others have pointed out the room itself was perfectly suited for a soul club. The London soul scene didn't take itself too seriously in those days and the place had a properly hedonistic atmosphere with great music.

The 100 Club had just started to feel like a fully-fledged Northern Soul venue and the Function attempted to keep the particular feel of 60s club soul going in the capital.

I was still at school at the time and these were the days before night-buses. How I got home to North London from Lavender Hill I can't quite remember... happy days.

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Totally agree mate,fun was the order of the day. Remember Jock Mitchell used to get played alongside other classic oldies. Ian Clark who was probably my favourite soul dj,great taste in rare 60s, 70s & crossover he had the lot :D

What was some of the typical sounds there then? Can you name some, interested to know.

Una

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Dont remember going there, but does anyone remember a place Clarkie used to do on the south side of putney bridge ? Pub on the corner in the upstairs function room. Great nights used to go with my old mate Des, remember Paul Corky and Wayne M always there - Big Clark fans as we all were !!!!

Rob

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Dont remember going there, but does anyone remember a place Clarkie used to do on the south side of putney bridge ? Pub on the corner in the upstairs function room. Great nights used to go with my old mate Des, remember Paul Corky and Wayne M always there - Big Clark fans as we all were !!!!

Rob

White Lion?

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

White Lion?

Yes! That sounds right. Good times.

'Praying' was huge as well as 'You keep coming back to mend this broken heart' (never did know the proper title of that one ! And dont want to either !!!!! )

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Yes! That sounds right. Good times.

'Praying' was huge as well as 'You keep coming back to mend this broken heart' (never did know the proper title of that one ! And dont want to either !!!!! )

'Will you be coming back'-E.J Rice?

I know you don't want to know but just in case you change your mind! It's your own fault... you've made me start singing it now, really loud!

Social source share

'Will you be coming back'-E.J Rice?

I know you don't want to know but just in case you change your mind! It's your own fault... you've made me start singing it now, really loud!

Better known as Larry houston " Mend this broken heart" at Stafford ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

We've had a thread about this before. The gig was promoted by (the original) Terry Davis and Ian Clark who were also the regular DJs. Most of the guest DJ's who played there - myself and Tony Ellis included - also played at the original 6T's gigs in West Hampstead and Covent Garden.

I can't remember exactly when it came to an end, but I can remember why - "The Cornet" became Jongleurs Comedy Club, and music nights were discontinued by the owners in favour of stand up comedians. Personally I thought that the FATJ DJ's were funnier, and I know for sure that we played better records, but there you go.

It's still Jongleurs to this day, BTW...

Tony, wasn't there a Function at the Junction night at the 101 Club at Clapham as a one off with all the usual suspects including Clarkie - or was this the same place as above? I think I still have one of Clarkies flyers for the do but it's packed away at the moment - do you have one to hand - you usually do wink.gif All I remember is that Randy went a bit fruit loop at the end of the night and I nearly had a nose bleed as I had to go south of the river :boxing: Una - it was 26 years ago....playlists LOLOL - Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Tony, wasn't there a Function at the Junction night at the 101 Club at Clapham as a one off with all the usual suspects including Clarkie - or was this the same place as above? I think I still have one of Clarkies flyers for the do but it's packed away at the moment - do you have one to hand - you usually do :lol: All I remember is that Randy went a bit fruit loop at the end of the night and I nearly had a nose bleed as I had to go south of the river :P Una - it was 26 years ago....playlists LOLOL - Jo

I didn't expect a playlist :ohmy: but there are certain records that are Torch sounds or Wigan sounds, Mecca etc, I was just interested to know what sounds you would associate with it.

Social source share

Sounds I remember from the Function at the Junction are things like Boomerang by Otis Leavill, Candy by The Astors, Under The Streetlamp by The Exits. It was pretty much an attempt to get back to the basics of 60s club and mainstream soul as opposed to playing just rare 'Northern' soul, although some classics of this type such as Epitome of Sound were played too.

Ian Clark played some of his big sounds of the time: i.e. Cashmeres on Hem, Jo Ann Coucey, Empires etc. but also mixed in classic 6Ts West Hampstead type sounds. Perhaps people who played at the event, like Tony Rounce, Tony Ellis, Ady and Pete Wid can recall some of their playlists.

As I said above, the atmosphere was probably as important as the actual music, although that was always great too.

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Sounds I remember from the Function at the Junction are things like Boomerang by Otis Leavill, Candy by The Astors, Under The Streetlamp by The Exits. It was pretty much an attempt to get back to the basics of 60s club and mainstream soul as opposed to playing just rare 'Northern' soul, although some classics of this type such as Epitome of Sound were played too.

Ian Clark played some of his big sounds of the time: i.e. Cashmeres on Hem, Jo Ann Coucey, Empires etc. but also mixed in classic 6Ts West Hampstead type sounds. Perhaps people who played at the event, like Tony Rounce, Tony Ellis, Ady and Pete Wid can recall some of their playlists.

As I said above, the atmosphere was probably as important as the actual music, although that was always great too.

thumbsup.gif I just wanted to know as one of the guys who is going to DJ at our Oldies night at the weekender is going to bring some of his Function at The Junction records along. I'll have a listen if I can find them. Cheers.

Social source share

Tony, wasn't there a Function at the Junction night at the 101 Club at Clapham as a one off with all the usual suspects including Clarkie - or was this the same place as above? I think I still have one of Clarkies flyers for the do but it's packed away at the moment - do you have one to hand - you usually do :D All I remember is that Randy went a bit fruit loop at the end of the night and I nearly had a nose bleed as I had to go south of the river biggrin.gif Una - it was 26 years ago....playlists LOLOL - Jo

Yes there was at least a one off there - then was also one further up Lavender Hill (cue to thread on British films), and it came after F.A.T.J. which was surely at the 101 Club which was the original FATJ surely????

I remember walking in there as Tony Ellis was playing "My baby loves me" by Raftha Meeves & The Mandellas. Also remember Sadane"One minute from love" also got a spin. Dave Thorley was there, as were all the usual London hoi poloi and 6Ts blaggards that we all were. laugh.gif

Ozsoul - I did a review of FATJ in an old Blackbeat and this included the sounds played - if it rains on saturday I'll try and find it.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, wasn't there a Function at the Junction night at the 101 Club at Clapham as a one off with all the usual suspects including Clarkie - or was this the same place as above? I think I still have one of Clarkies flyers for the do but it's packed away at the moment - do you have one to hand - you usually do wink.gif All I remember is that Randy went a bit fruit loop at the end of the night and I nearly had a nose bleed as I had to go south of the river :D Una - it was 26 years ago....playlists LOLOL - Jo

No, it was actually a 6Ts do - a one off, when 6Ts was temporarily without a home. I'd DJ'd there previously with Small Hours and recommended it to Ady as a possible future 6Ts residence. Clarky wasn't on the bill, as far as I remember. What I do remember about it is that it was a packer, and what happened to Randy, who was bladdered, was that he somehow cut his hand open and expected a good friend of mine, who shall remain nameless and who was equally drunk, to take him to a hospital. 'Friend', who was sympathetic but in no fit state to drive, recommended a 999 call. This did not please Randy, and the two never spoke again.

Knowing Randy as well as we both did, and knowing that - despite his many good points - he was not always the saintly human being that the scene often paints him to be, you will realise that I have 'simplified' this event a bit. In any event, the goings-on did not please the proprietor of the 101, and doubtless they curtailed any future 6ts activities there before Ady did.

For Una, the FATJ do's were still largely biased towards 'proper' 60s records , rather than towards the increasingly Northern-aimed 100 Club 'niters. Although, of course, you did hear Northern and newies there.

Funnily enough, I can't remember a single record that I played there as a guest DJ, and the only two records I can actually remember hearing at either FATJ venue were Patti and the Emblems' "Mixed Up Shook Up Girl" and that perennial floor clearer "Dead!" by Carolyn Sullivan. Both played by Terry Davis. The real Terry Davis, that is, not that Northern bloke who came to prominence far more recently...

Social source share

No, it was actually a 6Ts do - a one off, when 6Ts was temporarily without a home. I'd DJ'd there previously with Small Hours and recommended it to Ady as a possible future 6Ts residence. Clarky wasn't on the bill, as far as I remember. What I do remember about it is that it was a packer, and what happened to Randy, who was bladdered, was that he somehow cut his hand open and expected a good friend of mine, who shall remain nameless and who was equally drunk, to take him to a hospital. 'Friend', who was sympathetic but in no fit state to drive, recommended a 999 call. This did not please Randy, and the two never spoke again.

Knowing Randy as well as we both did, and knowing that - despite his many good points - he was not always the saintly human being that the scene often paints him to be, you will realise that I have 'simplified' this event a bit. In any event, the goings-on did not please the proprietor of the 101, and doubtless they curtailed any future 6ts activities there before Ady did.

For Una, the FATJ do's were still largely biased towards 'proper' 60s records , rather than towards the increasingly Northern-aimed 100 Club 'niters. Although, of course, you did hear Northern and newies there.

Funnily enough, I can't remember a single record that I played there as a guest DJ, and the only two records I can actually remember hearing at either FATJ venue were Patti and the Emblems' "Mixed Up Shook Up Girl" and that perennial floor clearer "Dead!" by Carolyn Sullivan. Both played by Terry Davis. The real Terry Davis, that is, not that Northern bloke who came to prominence far more recently...

Tony I distinctly remember THREE venues in Clapham - 101 Club, an upstairs pub up Lavender Hill (Coronet?), and a third venue with a bar at the side and a stage at the end - sorry can't be more descriptive right now but it was pretty close to the 101 Club. Clarky was involved in all 3 as it was in the famous days of "Top Flat" in Wandsworth Rd.

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Yes there was at least a one off there - then was also one further up Lavender Hill (cue to thread on British films), and it came after F.A.T.J. which was surely at the 101 Club which was the original FATJ surely????

I remember walking in there as Tony Ellis was playing "My baby loves me" by Raftha Meeves & The Mandellas. Also remember Sadane"One minute from love" also got a spin. Dave Thorley was there, as were all the usual London hoi poloi and 6Ts blaggards that we all were. :D

Ozsoul - I did a review of FATJ in an old Blackbeat and this included the sounds played - if it rains on saturday I'll try and find it.

Oh well that's almost a dead cert in England! whistling.gif Cheers.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony I distinctly remember THREE venues in Clapham - 101 Club, an upstairs pub up Lavender Hill (Coronet?), and a third venue with a bar at the side and a stage at the end - sorry can't be more descriptive right now but it was pretty close to the 101 Club. Clarky was involved in all 3 as it was in the famous days of "Top Flat" in Wandsworth Rd.

That's right - the 101 Club was a 6Ts one-off and came first, and unless someone can produce a flyer that indicates otherwise, I maintain that Clarky had no participation in it not even as a DJ, although - as you say - he lived just round the corner so I daresay he might have chucked his head round the door.

After that came the first incarnation of FATJ at the (I think) Wessex Banqueting Suite, opposite the Falcon pub and Clapham Junction station, which - like its successor at "The Cornet", also on Lavender Hill and now Jongleur's Comedy Club - was promoted by Clarky and Terry D.

I can tell you that the 101 night was between West Hampstead and the 100 Club and thus must have taken place in 1979. I met Gary Thomas for the first time that night, he came up and introduced himself after I'd said something positive about Sugar Minott over the mic....

Social source share

I think the chronology of the Function had the Coronet before the Wessex. I have a distinct memory of the original Functions being held during the winter at The Coronet, while the first event at The Wessex was definitely the following spring/summer. The 101 was at least three years before this. The Coronet was a large room above a pub, with not that much of a dancefloor. The Wessex was as mentioned above a 'banqueting suite' and had much more of a wedding-reception-like atmosphere with a large dancefloor. The sounds at the Wessex were far more Northern-oriented than the Coronet.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I think the chronology of the Function had the Coronet before the Wessex. I have a distinct memory of the original Functions being held during the winter at The Coronet, while the first event at The Wessex was definitely the following spring/summer. The 101 was at least three years before this. The Coronet was a large room above a pub, with not that much of a dancefloor. The Wessex was as mentioned above a 'banqueting suite' and had much more of a wedding-reception-like atmosphere with a large dancefloor. The sounds at the Wessex were far more Northern-oriented than the Coronet.

Other people did do's at the Wessex after FATJ moved to the Cornet - and please not that the pub is the Cornet, as in a sort of trumpet, not the Coronet - and it might be those you are thinking of.

One man who will know for sure, and who's on here, is Tony Ellis, who was a far more regular contributor to FATJ's DJ roster than I was.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

No, it was actually a 6Ts do - a one off, when 6Ts was temporarily without a home.

Thanks for confirming that...I thought I was going gaga

Clarky wasn't on the bill, as far as I remember.

I am going gaga...everything blurs into one these days biggrin.gif

What I do remember about it is that it was a packer, and what happened to Randy, who was bladdered, was that he somehow cut his hand open and expected a good friend of mine, who shall remain nameless and who was equally drunk, to take him to a hospital. 'Friend', who was sympathetic but in no fit state to drive, recommended a 999 call. This did not please Randy, and the two never spoke again.

I do remember a lot of blood.... :thumbsup:

Knowing Randy as well as we both did, and knowing that - despite his many good points - he was not always the saintly human being that the scene often paints him to be, you will realise that I have 'simplified' this event a bit.

Understood

Both played by Terry Davis. The real Terry Davis

There's only one Terry Davis, one Terry Davis :thumbsup:

Social source share

Oh well that's almost a dead cert in England! :thumbsup: Cheers.

Rain is promised :thumbsup: so will dig out an old review or two in Blackbeat -we covered all of these events back in the day you know......and only now are we starting to realise the value of all that manic typing and publishing biggrin.gif

Social source share

Yes, Tony, The Cornet as in Horse's Cornet.

Other people may have run events at the Wessex subsequently, but I'm pretty sure the last actual Function was there, rather than at what became The Jongleurs. It would have been some months after The Cornet became a comedy club and there might only have been one FATJ there, but I'm almost positive that this was the case. I think there will be an advert for the relaunched Function in an issue of Black Beat which I still have. Summer 1984. I'll try and check at some point over the weekend as the magazines are in my cellar. A record I can vividly remember being spun there which accurately dates it all is Garland Green's "Ain't That Good Enough" played by Ian Clark, which was really taking off around then, after not having really been played anywhere in a concerted sense before this date.

My membership card for the Function had a false birthdate on it: 1st April 1966 (a year in advance of my actual birthday) because I would have been too young to legally get in at the time. I'll also try and dig that out as well as a rather nice flyer for the Soul Drifting boat trip which would also have been in summer 1984. Has anyone got any recollections of that particular event?

Social source share

Guest Gary Thomas

That's right - the 101 Club was a 6Ts one-off and came first, and unless someone can produce a flyer that indicates otherwise, I maintain that Clarky had no participation in it not even as a DJ, although - as you say - he lived just round the corner so I daresay he might have chucked his head round the door.

After that came the first incarnation of FATJ at the (I think) Wessex Banqueting Suite, opposite the Falcon pub and Clapham Junction station, which - like its successor at "The Cornet", also on Lavender Hill and now Jongleur's Comedy Club - was promoted by Clarky and Terry D.

I can tell you that the 101 night was between West Hampstead and the 100 Club and thus must have taken place in 1979. I met Gary Thomas for the first time that night, he came up and introduced himself after I'd said something positive about Sugar Minott over the mic....

I see the memory's as sharp as ever Tone. Am I right in thinking that we met up again the following morning at the Dub Vendor stall?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I see the memory's as sharp as ever Tone. Am I right in thinking that we met up again the following morning at the Dub Vendor stall?

...Spot on!

Hope Rance was good...

TONE

Social source share

• 13 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!