Who Is, Or Was, Court Davis?

Guest ZA9

I heard the Court Davis cut, "Try And Think What You're Doing" on the "Sounds" portion of Soul Source. I also heard it on a podcast on The Soulgirl's web site. It's listed on the Soul Source "Sounds" section as "The Lover Who Loves You Not". In any event, the man has, or had, an amazing voice! Does anybody know who he is or was? Is he alive or dead? African American or white? Did he ever record anything else? I'd really love to know. You don't hear passion like that in today's singers. Thanks for whatever information anybody has about him.

Social source share

I heard the Court Davis cut, "Try And Think What You're Doing" on the "Sounds" portion of Soul Source. I also heard it on a podcast on The Soulgirl's web site. It's listed on the Soul Source "Sounds" section as "The Lover Who Loves You Not". In any event, the man has, or had, an amazing voice! Does anybody know who he is or was? Is he alive or dead? African American or white? Did he ever record anything else? I'd really love to know. You don't hear passion like that in today's singers. Thanks for whatever information anybody has about him.

dont know anything about the man, all i can tell you is, the track is called "try to think what you're doing"..on the east coast label, it was covered up as "herbie williams" - "the lover who loves you not"

Social source share

I paid something like £175 for a copy of Try To Think off a UK based rock & pop auction back in 1999. It was described as "Gene Pitney copyist"!

Aha! was it Hugh McCallum's List Pete (from Southampton I seem to recall)?

I bid on it... and lost.

angry.gif

Had Tons of great tunes off him though over the years... if that was the list.

Tiniest type in the world on an A5 Booklet.

Sean

Social source share

I paid something like £175 for a copy of Try To Think off a UK based rock & pop auction back in 1999. It was described as "Gene Pitney copyist"!

wow!...you very lucky chappie.. if you want to sell it on for £175 I'll have the cash waiting.... whistling.gif

I nearly paid £800 for one a couple of years ago. Only seen two for sale in about 6years of looking for it.

Its a Top tune - one of my favourites, Sean or Neil play it at Bury Town Hall now and again.. thumbsup.gif

Jayne.x.

Social source share

wow!...you very lucky chappie.. if you want to sell it on for £175 I'll have the cash waiting.... whistling.gif

I nearly paid £800 for one a couple of years ago. Only seen two for sale in about 6years of looking for it.

Its a Top tune - one of my favourites, Sean or Neil play it at Bury Town Hall now and again.. thumbsup.gif

Jayne.x.

We have actually auction 6 different copies in the last 6 years. Prices have varied between £1500 to over £2500. Every copy had "pitted" & "pimpled" vinyl.. has anyone ever had or seen a smooth vinyl? The flaws never affected play, they were just pressed from poor quality recycled vinyl, that unfortunately looks horrid.

Court Davis has another 45 on East Coast, a really pretty yellow & red label. I had a copy years ago and it wasn't Northern soul then..but who knows it could be now.. anyone got or had a copy? I've forgot the titles but I do remember the label vividly..

Social source share

Court Davis has another 45 on East Coast, a really pretty yellow & red label. I had a copy years ago and it wasn't Northern soul then..but who knows it could be now.. anyone got or had a copy? I've forgot the titles but I do remember the label vividly.

Yes John, it's the one I mentioned above.

It's on Kresla (Yellow & Red Label) "The World Keeps On Spinning" which shares the same flip side as the East Coast 45.

It probably is a 'type' of Northern Soul.... midtempo... dramatic.... swirling strings... but pretty weak, Bobby Goldsboro stylee vocals.

So... accepting offers above a grand then!

biggrin.gif

Social source share

Yes John, it's the one I mentioned above.

It's on Kresla (Yellow & Red Label) "The World Keeps On Spinning" which shares the same flip side as the East Coast 45.

It probably is a 'type' of Northern Soul.... midtempo... dramatic.... swirling strings... but pretty weak, Bobby Goldsboro stylee vocals.

So... accepting offers above a grand then!

biggrin.gif

Thanks, I thought there was one. It does look like one of those 45s that MUST BE good..but ain't.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Just googled him and he's actually a joiner, based n highgate rd, london :lol:

Not the same Court Davis. The singer is American, and Court Davis is a stage name.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I gave all the details about him...he's now a painter by the way.

...The tiles on the back of the house need re-doing, d'you reckon he might be available for a reasonable price? I'd ask Gene Pitney, only he's dead... :unsure:

Social source share

TWKS is the B-side of TTT the other side of the Kresla is Words I put a sound clip up in refo a few weeks ago. :unsure:

Johnny Fingers has a perfect copy with a slightly different label (unworn with a little shine)

post-6504-1215722173_thumb.jpg

post-6504-1215722192_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

TWKS is the B-side of TTT the other side of the Kresla is Words I put a sound clip up in refo a few weeks ago. :unsure:

Johnny Fingers has a perfect copy with a slightly different label (unworn with a little shine)

Thats the one.

Social source share

...The tiles on the back of the house need re-doing, d'you reckon he might be available for a reasonable price? I'd ask Gene Pitney, only he's dead... :rolleyes:

Tommy Dark, of the Ideals and Tom and Jerry-O, is a house painter now too.

Social source share

TWKS is the B-side of TTT the other side of the Kresla is Words I put a sound clip up in refo a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

So we agree.

The East Coast 45 and the Kresla 45 share a side.

I was working from memory.

Had the record for decades... but it's not one I dig out frequently, I must admit :shhh:

Infact... it's just not very good at all.

:thumbup:

Social source share

Try My Words in a quiet moment.

I did.

I understood them completely.

Now, perhaps, you could reflect on mine?

I acknowledged, that, since I was working from memory that I had not mentioned the 'Words' side.

But the fact is, the East Coast 45 and the Kresla 45 share a side.... or do they not?

Or were you talking about the record?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

I did.

I understood them completely.

Now, perhaps, you could reflect on mine?

I acknowledged, that, since I was working from memory that I had not mentioned the 'Words' side.

But the fact is, the East Coast 45 and the Kresla 45 share a side.... or do they not?

Or were you talking about the record?

This sounds like Woo's the President of China.

Yes its actually My Words and I like it a lot some records you can play out some at home in those deep moments like a Sunday when you are blow out from an allnighter or two.

Bell Stamp on the Kysler different press from the Virtue TWKS

Social source share

This sounds like Woo's the President of China.

Yes its actually My Words and I like it a lot some records you can play out some at home in those deep moments like a Sunday when you are blow out from an allnighter or two.

Bell Stamp on the Kysler different press from the Virtue TWKS

So Who is the president of China?

Not Court davis... is it?

:shhh:

Ok... so which came first... East Coast or Kresla?

:thumbup:

Social source share

I have some alternative cuts of "Try To Think" which I am having cleaned up at the moment, and one of them is the business! He's still around, and his real name is Harry (I'll post up more info, when I get it)

DES PARKER

The one you played @ Boogaloo Des :) was dead interesting, more vocals, no horns and a bit slower. :lol:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

The version I've played out a couple of times is different to the Acetate version (longer intro, different mix) and came off a tape from a different source. Appreciate what you say Pete, but some have told me they prefer the version I've played - no accounting for taste, eye of the beholder & all that.

Des Parker

Social source share

The version I've played out a couple of times is different to the Acetate version (longer intro, different mix) and came off a tape from a different source. Appreciate what you say Pete, but some have told me they prefer the version I've played - no accounting for taste, eye of the beholder & all that.

Des Parker

Social source share

Des Parker

Know what you mean Des but it really lacks something without those strings.

Must thank Andy Rix for sending me this clip ages ago by the way.

Social source share

A bit like the "Natural Four" debate - "ABC v Boola Boola" I'd go for the ABC version anytime, but many go for the other! Probably have to side with you on this one, the released version has the edge (probably why it was the "released version")

Des Parker

Social source share

• 13 years later...
On 12/07/2008 at 13:11, Md Records said:

A bit like the "Natural Four" debate - "ABC v Boola Boola" I'd go for the ABC version anytime, but many go for the other! Probably have to side with you on this one, the released version has the edge (probably why it was the "released version")

Des Parker

I am sorry I am late to the party and only just found the thread (which perhaps needs reviving)

I found a possible connection, which took me straight down another cul-de-sac, but felt the Kresla "thing' was important, if not annoyingly another unresolved record. (as yet)

I have to say this below side is on of the best Folky tunes I have EVER heard

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!