soulclub.org down

Guest Kolla

Soulclub.org - the site with a zillions soul RAs on it is down at present.

The site is under-going maintenance but the owner is wondering if it worth continuing with the site considering the repair work and how much of his time it takes to maintain.

This would be shame if it doesn't continue - there are many songs on the site that i've never heard before and it's a very useful reference tool.

-------

If you've visited the site in the past - what are your thoughts on soulclub.org ?

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

I have always wanted to contact the owner. That site is an invaluable tool and I couldn't imagine being without it!!!!!

Who runs the site and how can I contact him?

Social source share

He goes by the name of Atom and he's pretty elusive. No-one on Soul Source or Soul Talk knows his real name.

His address is:- atom@pobox.com

I think if he receives messages of support he'll be more likely to keep the site going.

Social source share

Yeah i've tried to contact him a few times but to no avail. couldnt be without the site it is excellent and has opened up a world of new sounds to me and many people i know. oi agree that everyone should attempt to email him at the address provided by Kolla and give him support.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

After a little bit of online detective work....

Registrant Name:The Soul Club

Registrant Organization:The Soul Club

Registrant Street1:1224 E Washington St

Registrant City:Phoenix

Registrant State/Province:AZ

Registrant Postal Code:85034

Registrant Country:US

Registrant Email:scarter@POBOX.COM

Social source share

Well done Holmes. You've just dusted the cob webs of my memory banks. Atom was an original member of Soul Talk, born in Manchester and now resides in Phoenix USA - hence for, he claims, "his lack of knowledge and attendance at do's" ... which I think was just plain modest.

Grant - the email address above definately works - I received a couple of messages from him yesterday :)

Social source share

Thanks Kolla - have sent email of support, let's hope many soul-source participants send support. It's a great place as you say to hear tunes you've not heard before and I have bought many records from lists and ebay due to being able to hear them first on soulclub.org.

Talking of which, I see a notice a post yesterday ref. P Valentine - Unlucky Girl. I know the record, think it is on SAR, I can't remember how it goes either, would also be interested if anyone could point in right direction to hear it on the net somewhere? Unfortunately it is one of the few records not on soulclub. Usually one for sale on ebay so not that hard.

Social source share

I can't live without soulclub If I wasn't so poor I would be willing to pay him for his time to keep it going. Its invaluable for buying online.

Social source share

The site is working it's way back up, it's going to look really strange for a while. It'll be a few days, at least, before I've recovered it and probably even longer before I put up all the tracks.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest Trevski

Thanks for all the work you put into the site, Atom, It is appreciated by a hell of a lot of people, and I for one will be glad to see it back. :huh:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Also have to say the biggest thank you for keeping this brilliant site going for so long. Have had so much help from this site over the last years. Such a wide range on it from the well known classics to pretty much unplayed stuff on the scene. I think the site is even more helpful for us overseas northernfans that aren´t in contact with it every weekend and hasn´t been around for years. Hope you want tyo keep it going

Much much appreciated

Soulof

:huh:

Social source share

Also have to say the biggest thank you for keeping this brilliant site going for so long. Have had so much help from this site over the last years. Such a wide range on it from the well known classics to pretty much unplayed stuff on the scene. I think the site is even more helpful for us overseas northernfans that aren´t in contact with it every weekend and hasn´t been around for years. Hope you want tyo keep it going

Much much appreciated

Soulof

:D

Add me to the appreciation society sad.gif Good luck with the work m8.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I've taken the liberty of cutting and pasting this from Soul Talk - maybe a few of us can stump up a $10 contribution? I miss this site so much :D -

atom@pobox.com is the paypal acct ... he'll keep it open for a couple weeks until he has enough for a server then he'll close it - he says 'I'm not asking for permanent donations'.

Latest update on the situation with the soulclub.org website

Atom (the owner of soulclub.org) was asked what the problem was...his reply......

"Hardware failure. The server is old and requires expensive upgrades.

This sucker is expensive to run and I'm not sure I'm still motivated"

Further to that comment, Steve (originally from Halifax) also said,

"May have it back up and limping some time this coming week"

"A new complete server is about $1000 or about 580 quid. Donations would be great. I've run the server FOC for years without ever asking for donations and I even feel a bit guilty now ... even though the server collocation and hardware replacements are never free"

So, what can WE do to help and how would we go about it? Indeed, are there enough people out there willing to stump up donations?

Additionally:

The server has been up for a long time, 5 years or so, and averages 20,000 hits a day last time I checked. The hardware is getting very old and needs replacing. I've never asked anyone for money and I hate to think about starting now but I just don't want to cough up $1000 for a new server on top of the monthly charges for hosting and the time I spend maintaining the site. I'll take your suggestions on what I can do.

I appreciate the offers of money but I don't want to take any unless I can be sure the total will cover the majority of a new server. Although I could get pissed on the proceeds. smile.gif

Social source share