Impressions....curtis Mayfield

KevH

Hi, following on from Dave Thorley's Womack thread, let's hear your favourite tracks from the tremendous Impressions .

And of course, you've got license to include Curtis on his own,Windy City tracks, in fact anything "Curtis" related.

If you're not a fan.....you will be!!! :thumbsup: .

So, from GYPSY to CHOICE OF COLOR off we go.

BTW My fave is "I've Been Trying" -gulp

Edited by KevH
Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi, following on from Dave Thorley's Womack thread, let's hear your favourite tracks from the tremendous Impressions .

And of course, you've got license to include Curtis on his own,Windy City tracks, in fact anything "Curtis" related.

If you're not a fan.....you will be!!! :thumbsup: .

if backed in to a corner, and i could only pick one;

this is my country, would come out on top

mark w

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

So many great tunes. My Faves are "I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU" "GIRL YOU DON'T KNOW ME" "SISTER LOVE" "FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOU" "SINCE I LOST THE ONE I LOVE" "I CAN'T STAY AWAY FROM YOU" "GROW CLOSER TOGETHER" Love um all.

MAGIC MUSIC

Social source share

So many great tunes. My Faves are "I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU" "GIRL YOU DON'T KNOW ME" "SISTER LOVE" "FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOU" "SINCE I LOST THE ONE I LOVE" "I CAN'T STAY AWAY FROM YOU" "GROW CLOSER TOGETHER" Love um all.

MAGIC MUSIC

GREAT CHOICES, LOVE THE ONE IN "BOLD" thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Love ALL Curtis stuff - stand outs for me are:

(Man O Man) I want to go back

We're a winner

We've only just begun (live)

It's not just the melodies and production that grab you , but the message and sincerity of delivery in everything he ever recorded.

A GOD!!

Edited by Goldwax
Social source share

If you're not a fan.....you will be!!! thumbsup.gif .

mark w

Looks like were both in the same corner, great track and LP

Social source share

From The Impressions, I likes a vinyl album by re-edited by Topline in the 80's (don't remeber the title) including Curtis and Jerry Butler in the line up. I have had this same album under another title, "Believe In Me" on cassette that sadly was totally destroyed. I likes specially "Lover's Lane", "Se±orita, I Love You" and "At The County Fair". From first 70's I likes a lot "Finally Got Myself Together".

But I prefer Curtis and Jerry solo realises. "Something To Believe In" and "Never Say Can't You Survive" albums and "Mother's Son" track from "Got To Find Away" or the mellow "Homeless" are all at the top of my particular faves.

Social source share

If you're not a fan.....you will be!!! thumbsup.gif .

ALL of " The Young Mods Forgotten Story " album .....

Quite simply one of the best albums ever recorded .....

Malc Burton

imps.bmp

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Thanx for reminding me people.I ain't listened to The Impressions for weeks. Just spent a few hours listening :thumbsup:

Now for some of my fave CURTIS alone "BABY ITS YOU"( Killer words!) "WILD AND FREE" "KUNG FU" "JUST A LITTLE BIT OF LOVE"(from 1996 album New World Record) "SUPERFLY" "MOVE ON UP" these will do for starters :D

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Best Impressions tracks IMO: "I need You" and "Im the one who loves you" and "Little young Lover". Also love all of Curtis Mayfield's solo 7ts soul/Funk. The man was a genius.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

mark w

Me too.

But if backed into a second corner of the room, it would be 'Just one kiss from you'. Anyone oblige with a soundfile?

Social source share

Loved the Impressions since I were a lad (don't forget Sam Gooden and Fred Cash, who put in some sterling vocal work along with Curtis), his lyrics really touched my young heart, one of my favourite albums, maybe because of the memories that come with it is, "The Fabulous Impressions" which I bought in a record shop in Bognor Regis in '67, I was working at Butlins along with my wife at the time, Pat, bless her, we got to know the camp radio redcoat and she slipped a few demos my way, "Can't Satisfy" on HMV, being one of them, a great summer with a great soundtrack, bloody 'good times'.

Social source share

Guest soultempo

The Impressions - You Can't Be Wrong All The Time (LP track) ... :wicked:

and Potent Love (LP track) ... being two personal fav's ...

wish i could post a sound-bite up for u ... but yet another member who doesn't know how ... :yes: ... !

Social source share

Guest Adrian

and Potent Love (LP track) ... being two personal fav's ...

love that track, opening track on my LP CD swap which we done a while back.

Social source share

Best Impressions tracks IMO: "I need You" and "Im the one who loves you" and "Little young Lover". Also love all of Curtis Mayfield's solo 7ts soul/Funk. The man was a genius.

does anyone else think "I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU" has the same riff/melody as Arcades "GOTTA BE A LOSER",or is it me ?

Social source share

So many cracking sides how do you choose?

Always come back to 'Man Oh Man' from the 'We're A Winner' LP.

My EMI Stateside copy still has a Sale 10/- sticker on it.

I have most of their 60's LP's & am only now (to my shame) realising that a lot of the later stuff is worth getting as well.

Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!