What Should A Warm Up Dj Play

• Replies 43
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Simon

Some feel good fairly well known NS with some mid/uptempo Tamla mixed in to get the crowd into the stride of the evening, this will then enable the more upfront djs to raise the bar & take the place by storm later on in the evening.

Simon thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Rowly

So theres a only a few punters in and the night is young ..What tunes should you play and what tempo ?

mellow.gif

Simon

Whatever ya fekkin want! (within the the parameters of the advertised sounds on the flyer of course....)

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I would play tunes ive never played before to see if there is a floor reaction from the empty room, slow to mid tempo

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

everything that you have that the main act has and might play - that should set the cat amongst the pigeons........ whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The warm up DJs job imo is to leave the often self indulgent cock fighting to the egos who are on at peak time and to build the momentum and excitment of the night with a well put together mix of classics and solid floor fillers. It's an underrated skill that not many have. A bit of a "water carrier" role, a good warm up DJ will often be forgotten after the lights come on at the end of the night, but they can make or break the party.

Come and see Val Palmer at work next weekend at Soul Revolution, one of the best in the business IMO thumbsup.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

everything that you have that the main act has and might play - that should set the cat amongst the pigeons........ whistling.gif

I have seen this happen , but I will not reveal who it was that who spat the dummy out / threw the teddy out of the pram / took his ball in / got the mammary on ( delete those which are not your favourite term ) , when the other act on the night " stole his thunder " ......

It was not a pretty sight to witness , but it was very funny ....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Paul

So theres a only a few punters in and the night is young ..What tunes should you play and what tempo ?

mellow.gif

Simon

Hello,

A warm-up DJ should have a nice opportunity to play tracks because they are good rather than having to playing tracks because of rarity or demand.

And that's an advantage because you can gradually introduce people to some new and different sounds.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello,

A warm-up DJ should have a nice opportunity to play tracks because they are good rather than having to playing tracks because of rarity or demand.

And that's an advantage because you can gradually introduce people to some new and different sounds.

Paul Mooney

ditto, play a mixture of knowns,unknowns,midtempo,crossover,modern and r'nb,,have i missed anything???

Social source share

Hey do you remember Searling playing Quite storm stuff at peak time .... around 1987 ?

Unfortunately, yes, was very frustrating, RS to me is a legend, but this was very disapointing, killed many a good night stone dead, never to recover. Agree with JT on this subject.

Russ

Social source share

The warm up DJs job imo is to leave the often self indulgent cock fighting to the egos who are on at peak time and to build the momentum and excitment of the night with a well put together mix of classics and solid floor fillers. It's an underrated skill that not many have. A bit of a "water carrier" role, a good warm up DJ will often be forgotten after the lights come on at the end of the night, but they can make or break the party.

Come and see Val Palmer at work next weekend at Soul Revolution, one of the best in the business IMO :thumbsup:

This is very true

Bazza

Social source share

Now days I play this role all the time. Just play the very best set you can, as if you were the main dj of the night. Try and blow away every other dj there, and suprise the crowd. Forget ego, at the end of the day you are a paid, or not, entertainer. Please the dance floor and you can't go far wrong.

Here endth the first lesson. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

everything that you have that the main act has and might play - that should set the cat amongst the pigeons........ :thumbsup:

in that case .... give the warm up a better spot or have a more imaginative guest

Social source share

Now days I play this role all the time. Just play the very best set you can, as if you were the main dj of the night. Try and blow away every other dj there, and suprise the crowd. Forget ego, at the end of the day you are a paid, or not, entertainer. Please the dance floor and you can't go far wrong.

Here endth the first lesson. :D

Tonight I'll mainly be drinking a 12 year old Glenlivet :thumbsup::(

Social source share

I would play tunes ive never played before to see if there is a floor reaction from the empty room, slow to mid tempo

The reality is that playing slow to mid-tempo IMO doesn't create any atmosphere, certainly not early doors, and so the place will feel flat to punters coming in, so the next DJ has to play a blinder to get 'em going. Remember, first impressions are lasting impressions (cue for a song :wicked: )...

Social source share

in that case .... give the warm up a better spot or have a more imaginative guest

With Dj's ,these days , only adding about 5 tunes a year to their playlists or little hotbox's the above is sound advise :yes:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

The reality is that playing slow to mid-tempo IMO doesn't create any atmosphere, certainly not early doors, and so the place will feel flat to punters coming in, so the next DJ has to play a blinder to get 'em going. Remember, first impressions are lasting impressions (cue for a song :yes: )...

And remember, you'll never get a second chance to make a first impression :shades:

Social source share

It depends on the do, but in general I feel a warm up DJ should NOT play a lot of slow and mid-tempo flipsides, sales box tunes or weird stuff that is not all that good after all is said and done. Avoid 'this would be good for playing early doors when no on is there yet' type sounds! I have been to many nights that started off with the wrong atmosphere because of poor selections by the warm up DJ's.

Social source share

I have been to many nights that started off with the wrong atmosphere because of poor selections by the warm up DJ's.

agree.. :yes:

I know of warm up dj's to have played for there selfs with the attitude... well its only 8.00 there not gonna dance anyway...

Play the right set and it builds the night.. If you get two dj's playing an hour each and they play for thier selfs then the 3rd dj becomes the warm and thats 3 hours lost of the night..

Warm up dj's play your best stuff.. get them dancing early let the dj's after you have the problem of keeping them up.. at least you can say.. I never had that problem. :shades:

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Come and see Val Palmer at work next weekend at Soul Revolution, one of the best in the business IMO :thumbsup:

The only reason Vals a warm up dj at your do is because thats where you put her.

Vals a top flight dj with a fantastic collection and knowledge of the music and was a regular dj at the 100 club Allniters in the 80s

Al H :thumbsup:

Social source share

Quite a worthwhile thread , I bet some promoters are having a rethink now ....but maybe not :lol:

It is - but I think the problem is in the title.....

Who is a warm up DJ then? At most clubs I frequent it tends to be the residents who go on first.

And, excludsing a handful of genuine big name exceptions (and I do mean a handful) who would be arrogant enough to determine who'se a warm up and who'se not? It sounds like a throwback to the 70s when DJs were demi-Gods - it sure ain't like that now.

Steve

Social source share

It is - but I think the problem is in the title.....

Who is a warm up DJ then? At most clubs I frequent it tends to be the residents who go on first.

And, excludsing a handful of genuine big name exceptions (and I do mean a handful) who would be arrogant enough to determine who'se a warm up and who'se not? It sounds like a throwback to the 70s when DJs were demi-Gods - it sure ain't like that now.

Steve

Its nothing to do with the individual or name Steve it's a question about the music selected .. Ive seen top names do very early spots in the 80's and then drive off to another nighter (Pat Brady told me he was doing three nighters on any given Satyrday back in the 80's) . Im sure lots of DJ's have warmed up in their time its just a thread for what you would play really or would you use a sales box or any other tactic

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Its nothing to with the individual or name Steve it's a question about the music selected .. Ive seen top names do very early spots in the 80's and then drive off to another nighter (Pat Brady told me he was doing three nighters on any given Satyrday back in the 80's) . Im sure lots of DJ's have warmed up in their time its just a thread for what you would play really or would you use a sales box or any other tactic

I understand that - it's just that a few of the posters have implied a significant difference between warm up DJs and big names,,,,to which I say there are very few big names these days,,,,,,without self publicity there are five or six of us on at Letchworth tonight, any one of us can go on first, middle or last......anyway I've already said my piece on what should be played early doors earlier, so I am now off out for the evening :lol: .....Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!