Soul Brothers...sisters...cousins..etc

Just wondering...have any of you got siblings who are/have been into Northern/Rare soul???...in my case...both my Younger sis Viki and our youngest Brother Felix...who came with me this year to Prestatyn got into the scene via myself.....in Northants....I know of Mark from Irthlingborough..who has sisters into the scene...anyone remember the Johnsons from Kettering...two brothers and a sister..Hayley and Natalie...cousins from Northampton and for a brief period..Natalie's sis Melanie....Elaine Collins and her two brothers Steve and Tony....from Leicester i remember Phillipa and her sister Justine..they also had two older sisters Rowena and Vanessa who did a stint on the Northern scene as well....anybody else....Delxx

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hi

my brother i probably got into the scene because of him a few people used to refer to us as the twins but he is 2 and a half years older than me but we looked quite alike when we were younger. bit odd for brothers but we always got on and used to go to nighters and nights together.

mark

Social source share

Hi there, my older cousin originally got me into the whole thing in the mid seventies , Maark is my brother inlaw and also top mate i am guilty of getting him into the music , my 36 year old nephew (my sister had him young honest i am only 43) loves the music and my eldest son Ash is a big fan of Motown and Northern and recentley made his DJ debut! also my Mother in law who is originally from British Guyana came to London in the 60s and was listening to rare black soul music in the clubs then...and aged 60+ still attends some of the local soul nights....so quite a bit of SOUL in the family :dance:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

both my older brother and sister .... my sister went to the allnighters in dundee in the late 70's early eighties and my brother was more late 80's .

neither of them go anymore

Social source share

Guest jo65

I "helped" my brother along, he is three years younger than myself...

and when we lived at home I was in charge of the music :wicked:

Thankfully he never held it against me ..

and we go to soul nights together which to me is special, he is my "soul brother" :yes:

Social source share

Guest Cher1962

Hi Del,

The Johnsons from Kettering are Vernon and Martin and Sarah - went to school with Martin and they are all still about in Kettering although not seen any of them on the scene for a long time.

Cheryl

Social source share

Hi there, my older cousin originally got me into the whole thing in the mid seventies , Maark is my brother inlaw and also top mate i am guilty of getting him into the music , my 36 year old nephew (my sister had him young honest i am only 43) loves the music and my eldest son Ash is a big fan of Motown and Northern and recentley made his DJ debut! also my Mother in law who is originally from British Guyana came to London in the 60s and was listening to rare black soul music in the clubs then...and aged 60+ still attends some of the local soul nights....so quite a bit of SOUL in the family :dance:

NIce one....Jem...both my parents use to go to the Flamingo dring the late 50s when the first came to this country and it my 11 year old is also a fan of Northern/modern soul....I am also guilty of getting my partner Rob into the scene....Delxxx

Social source share

Hi Del,

The Johnsons from Kettering are Vernon and Martin and Sarah - went to school with Martin and they are all still about in Kettering although not seen any of them on the scene for a long time.

Cheryl

Yes...that's them...quite notorious the older two were if i remember :wicked: .....Delx

Social source share

2 of my cousins are into the scene,on and off ,one a Wiganite, the other joined later.

My sister shows an interest thru the years,when she got married in 84 i gave her Mel Britt n Dena Barnes as part of a wedding pressie,when i cried she thought i was bawling cos of the wedding.................regrets i've had a few...............

Social source share

Just wondering...have any of you got siblings who are/have been into Northern/Rare soul???...in my case...both my Younger sis Viki and our youngest Brother Felix...who came with me this year to Prestatyn got into the scene via myself.....in Northants....I know of Mark from Irthlingborough..who has sisters into the scene...anyone remember the Johnsons from Kettering...two brothers and a sister..Hayley and Natalie...cousins from Northampton and for a brief period..Natalie's sis Melanie....Elaine Collins and her two brothers Steve and Tony....from Leicester i remember Phillipa and her sister Justine..they also had two older sisters Rowena and Vanessa who did a stint on the Northern scene as well....anybody else....Delxx

Yes, of 10 (ten) siblings, at least 7 (seven) of us are into it to a greater or lesser extent! That's got to be some sort of record :yes: .......unless of course YOU, dear reader, know different! :shades:

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Myself and upto three sisters travelled everywhere together from early seventies to early eighties. Three of us are still on the go now.

Social source share

I've got a distant cousin on my dads side, from Liverpool, who I was told by my gran, collected records....."not what i'm into, i'm sure" I said to my gran........I hadn't seen him in years, i've always lived near London, and when we eventually met up at a family get together I was gobsmacked to find out he collected soul as I did, listened & followed Richard Searling, was probably @ Parkers when I was going too, both reeled off a similar list of fave LPs & tracks.......small world eh!!

Girth

Social source share

Simon and Winston were pretty well known brothers.... at Wigan. From Dudley or Wolverhampton?

Una..You forgot Josie....their baby brother..who i met on the way to a Wigan oldies niter circa 1980....Mark...this isn't a quiz.... Dear....so stop trying to con people into handing anything over.. and ladies...please dont listen if he claims to be a doctor :thumbsup::thumbsup: ....remember Mark... One Is From The Shires..Decorum and decency...young man...Delxxxx

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Una..You forgot Josie....their baby brother..who i met on the way to a Wigan oldies niter circa 1980....Mark...this isn't a quiz.... Dear....so stop trying to con people into handing anything over.. and ladies...please dont listen if he claims to be a doctor :D:D ....remember Mark... One Is From The Shires..Decorum and decency...young man...Delxxxx

Never met Josie.... I don't think? I wonder if we knew each other? we seem to know all the same people, (from previous threads)we must have danced in the same spot. :shades:

Social source share

Never met Josie.... I don't think? I wonder if we knew each other? we seem to know all the same people, (from previous threads)we must have danced in the same spot. :D

Hi Una....go to All Our Yesterdays Forum...then to RicTic revue......last posting is Mand.....go back to a couple or so postings back....there is a pix of me from the early80s cpmplete with Beaded hair.... :D .....LOL....Delxxxx

Social source share

my sisters were sixties mods, were regular Wilby George attendies, circa '65?, hence i used to play them their records while they were getting dolled up to go out...that made me about 8 years old,....been playing them ever since!! probably kicked off the dj ing bit phil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!