Reggae 12" & 45s With Soul Recordings

I've just purchased around 1000 Reggae 12" single along with 1500 Ska/reggae 45s. I feel sure they may be a SOUL recording hidden in them. Can anyone give me a head start with a few lesser known ones to look out for (i know the obvious one of course). I haven't quite got the time to play every single one both sides.

They all look very interesting & rare.. any titles to look out for??

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm not sure which Jamaican sides would be big on the soul scene nowadays as I haven't been out for a wee while, plus I don't have titles to go on, but obvious artists to look out for would be:

Beres Hammond

Dennis Brown

Derrick Harriott (lots of funky and soulful stuff by others on his Crystal label too)

Jackie Opel

Alton Ellis

Phyllis Dillon

Marcia Griffiths

King Sporty

Chosen Few

They all recorded tunes in a straight soul style.

As for soulful ska and reggae, well just have to look at the "skinhead reggae" thread in the media section for some good pointers!

Sorry I can't be more of a help with specific tunes. What I think may be a good tune for the soul scene may be another person's piece of crap worth about a fiver. That's why I'm a reggae DJ not a soul one!!!!

Gordy

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

JEAN ADEBAMBO-VARIOUS TRACKS, SINGLES AND 12"

ALTON ELLIS LATER RECORDS, MAINLY 12", ON FASHION LABEL IF MEM SERVES ME RIGHT ALSO OTHER ODD NOT QUITE REGGIEEE ITEMS ON FASHION LABEL (9 OR 10 12'S)

SOME STUFF ON WINDMILL RECS

DANNY RAY-TROJAN- AGAIN IF IVE NOT SHOT IT THERES A VERSION(OR TWO) OF I fEEL SO BAD- JACKIE EDWARDS PRODUCTIONS

JIMMY JAMES YOU'LL KNOW

SURE THERES A BRUCE RUFFIN THING-TROJAN

FREDDIE COLE ODD DECCA THING, HAD A COUPLE OF THINGS ON A 79/80 LABEL MAYBE TROJAN

THE SOUL SET/CLAN/BROTHERS MID 70'S TROJAN.

HORSE LABEL, BESIDES OBVIOUS.

THERES LOAD OF WHITE LABEL PROMO'S WITH 'LOVERS ROCK' TYPES THAT ARE CANIDATES MAYBE FOR THE NEXT GLEN MILLER BUT LISTING THEM IS NIGH ON IMPOSSIBLE.

WHAT ABOUT WIERD SOUL WEST INDIES BOOTS THERE WAS SOME WIERD RELEASES.

THE PYRAMIDS ON CRAB I THINK

THERES ODD STUFF ON THE WINDWARD ISLES SOCCA L.PS(MAILY BIG BAND JAH STYLIE)

MARCIA GRIFFITHS THING ON ISLAND

I'D LIKE TO HEAR ALL THOSE DIFFERNT ARTIST THINGS ON THE FLIPS OF THE DOCTER BIRD STUFF, ANY ONE GOT ANY OF THAT STUFF, OR IS IT AVAILABLE

MAYBE SMILEY CULTURE?

MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN TRADING WITH YOU ON THE FINAL OUTCOME

NOT FORGETING SOME NEW YORK LABELS SEEM TO BE INTERESTING

JACK HAMMER (?) YOUNG BLOOD/MOTOWN/TROJAN/REGAL

I RECENTLY PURCHASED 3 ODD THOUSAND 12'S, WHITE LABEL STUFF, WHAT A NIGHTMARE, GOOD LUCK

Social source share

I've just purchased around 1000 Reggae 12" single along with 1500 Ska/reggae 45s. I feel sure they may be a SOUL recording hidden in them. Can anyone give me a head start with a few lesser known ones to look out for (i know the obvious one of course). I haven't quite got the time to play every single one both sides.

They all look very interesting & rare.. any titles to look out for??

Hi John ....

E-mail Tony Rounce , as I am sure he will be able to supply a wad of names and titles for you to look out for ....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Check out anything on the London label BAF. I have one by Ray Pereira (or something like that) and the B side is called 'Hey Chick' It's another version of Judge Baby I'm Back but with different vocals. There is a soundclip in the refosoul library.

Not brill, but not done in a reggae style. This label may have put out reggae on one side and soul on the other.

Worth a shot

Dunc

Social source share

Check out anything on the London label BAF. I have one by Ray Pereira (or something like that) and the B side is called 'Hey Chick' It's another version of Judge Baby I'm Back but with different vocals. There is a soundclip in the refosoul library.

Not brill, but not done in a reggae style. This label may have put out reggae on one side and soul on the other.

Worth a shot

Dunc

I've got a record on Baf by "Barry Window"...probably known to no-one except Tony Rounce :P

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Hello John

ive got a great 45 on uk Doctor bird LLoyd Glen What you got, was c/u at stafford as maurice simon and the piemen in your head.

Sorry i cant put a sound clip up but im still stuck in the 6ts

Its a frantic dancer with great brass and strange lyrics.

Al H :wicked:

Social source share

Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated. Almost all the names mentioned we have something by so it seems like I should take the time and play anything I'm not sure of.

If anyone can think of any other specific goodies don't hesitate to let me know.

once again thanks

john

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!