If I Had The Time....i'd Set Up A Website

I think you mean the Assembly Rooms?

He ran it with Steve Croft as I recall, it was with the intension of getting the younger school aged kids into the scene - I popped in once (after being invited) for a looksee and it was packed with kids all dancing away to the regular soul tunes of the day (around 1977 / 78 ish)

Of course that place has ben rebuilt as part of the Old Town Hall building so the hall no longer exists!

Theres your winner :rolleyes: Barnsley building society is where the entrance used to be.

Edited by ken
Social source share

He ran it with Steve Croft as I recall, it was with the intension of getting the younger school aged kids into the scene - I popped in once (after being invited) for a looksee and it was packed with kids all dancing away to the regular soul tunes of the day (around 1977 / 78 ish)

Of course that place has ben rebuilt as part of the Old Town Hall building so the hall no longer exists!

Well done Mr Benson !

Thank you for that .....

It was the AR : I can remember SC was looking to corner a niche in the soul market at the time , but you could not set a night or whatever up nowadays with the intention of getting involved with , or involving , school children ...... :rolleyes:

Unless they were the " St Trinians " type ...... :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Speaking of the old Windmill - I went there the other week for someone's 50th - first time in over 25 years, the last time was for a regular 'Saturday night, booze up!

It felt really weird, yet the stage area hasn't altered a deal, all black and dreary. The bar is on the wall near the staircase and they have really posh looking tables and chairs.

If I get chance I'll see if I can dig out some old pics of the place from the early 80's period - I've got some somewhere worth posting.

(Got to go now, off to work in a minute!)

Social source share

Here is the next installment of " All Our Yesterdays " .....

Top Left - The site of the legendary KING MOJO , Sheffield : Now luxury flats ....

Top Right - The KGB , Sheffield ....

Bottom - SAMANTHA'S , Sheffield .....

Whilst I was taking the photograph of the site of The Mojo , an old lad - even older than me - asked me what I was doing .....

I told him , and he replied he had always lived in the area , and remembered The Mojo very well , and he came out with a priceless gem .....

" Aye , it were run by them stringfellow lads ; people around here got fed up with the noise , that's why it got shut down ; and it were rumoured that them who went there smoked mariuana ..... "

Yorkshire folk : salt of the earth .....

Malc Burton

KGB,not how I remember it at all,I thought it was next to a dairy & underground in a cellar type place :rolleyes: ......Age takes its toll

Social source share

KGB,not how I remember it at all,I thought it was next to a dairy & underground in a cellar type place :rolleyes: ......Age takes its toll

Right on both counts Martyn. The door on the left of the photo was where you went in, turned right and went into the underground ballroom. The dairy was over the fence to the left of the door.

Steve

Social source share

No , a senior moment is not responsible ; quite correct .....

With reference to the photograph , the entrance to the KGB was the same doorway as to the " Abbey Snooker Club " , you went in , turned right , and down the stairs ....

A cavernous hall , without much - if no - ventilation , when it had a sizable crowd in , was subjected to the most condensation I have ever witnessed in a building ....

The stage / DJ area of the KGB , had a low curved ceiling , and at the first all - nighter organised there by Terry Sampson , the condensation was extremely bad ....

The condensation constantly built up on the ceiling until the droplets were to heavy to adhere to it , falling like a shower of rain onto everything and everyone below it .....

At that first all - nighter , my spot was followed by the late , great Bub , who upon entering the area , made the priceless comment .....

" If I knew it was going to be like this , I'd have brought my f*****g trunks "

Not so sure about / cannot recall there being a dairy ( never thought to get a pint of milk or a dozen eggs before I went in :thumbsup: ) , but the building , at the time of the KGB , you will recall , housed Drakes Office Equipment & Supplies .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I'll get one of the Winding Wheel (Chesterfield) wehn in town next. It hasn't changed one bit on the outside, doubt it's changed on the inside either, grade one liosted building. There was also nighters before it became the winding wheel, trying to remember name, Fascination???? One part of Winding Wheel was the night club which is the upstairs bit and the large downstairs room (back then) was the old Odeon Cinema.

There was also a night club across road that had a nighter or two (was that one the Fascination????) if memory serves me correctly and also the Adam and Eve in the Town as well.

Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

Speaking of the old Windmill - I went there the other week for someone's 50th - first time in over 25 years, the last time was for a regular 'Saturday night, booze up!

It felt really weird, yet the stage area hasn't altered a deal, all black and dreary. The bar is on the wall near the staircase and they have really posh looking tables and chairs.

If I get chance I'll see if I can dig out some old pics of the place from the early 80's period - I've got some somewhere worth posting.

(Got to go now, off to work in a minute!)

Those I'd like to see.

Social source share

Agree John.

Successful little night for Derek & Steve.

Was a really great venue. A slightly smaller and 'plusher' Clifton Hall.

Many years earlier, I used to go there every Friday night (very early 70's - when I was still at school).

Archie Bell "Here I Go Again" and Elgins "Heaven Must Have Sent You" were the top tunes of the day.

Always ended up with a huge scrap at the end of the night!

Good times!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Nah, don't think so. Wheres Mr H when you need him ? (Printing money as normal I imagine :huh: )

Upstairs venue. Sure you've been and even dj'd there.

Made my pile for this afternoon Steve! :unsure:

It was the Assembly Rooms mate, where Steve & Derek did their midweek thang.

Top Venue!

Think Darren H. would have been one of Crofty & Sheldons protegees of the time!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I'll get one of the Winding Wheel (Chesterfield) when in town next. It hasn't changed one bit on the outside, doubt it's changed on the inside either, grade one liosted building. There was also nighters before it became the winding wheel, trying to remember name, Fascination???? One part of Winding Wheel was the night club which is the upstairs bit and the large downstairs room (back then) was the old Odeon Cinema.

There was also a night club across road that had a nighter or two (was that one the Fascination????) if memory serves me correctly and also the Adam and Eve in the Town as well.

The Night Club that you are thinking of Chalk was "The Fusion" which was above part of the Odean Cinema building originally and which was to become the Ball Room upstairs in the Winding Wheel where John Kinghan and Arthur Dudley ran Soul Nights in the late eighties/early nineties. I actually had my evening wedding reception at the Winding Wheel downstairs where the all niter used to be held. Fantastic Room.

The Fusion held a few all dayers in the early eighties, but I never knew that it had actually held an All Niter there.

Cheers

Bully! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'll get one of the Winding Wheel (Chesterfield) when in town next. It hasn't changed one bit on the outside, doubt it's changed on the inside either, grade one liosted building. There was also nighters before it became the winding wheel, trying to remember name, Fascination???? One part of Winding Wheel was the night club which is the upstairs bit and the large downstairs room (back then) was the old Odeon Cinema.

The Night Club that you are thinking of Chalk was "The Fusion" which was above part of the Odean Cinema building originally and which was to become the Ball Room upstairs in the Winding Wheel where John Kinghan and Arthur Dudley ran Soul Nights in the late eighties/early nineties. I actually had my evening wedding reception at the Winding Wheel downstairs where the all niter used to be held. Fantastic Room.

The Fusion held a few all dayers in the early eighties, but I never knew that it had actually held an All Niter there.

Cheers

Bully! :unsure:

Struggle to remember what I had for breakfast Ian let alone 20 odd years ago :thumbsup:

The nighter was originally upstairs for 60's with Modern down. 60's then went downstairs with the upstairs becoming oldies I think.

Didn't the Fusion have poles about the place? Was the Fascination across the road?

Social source share

Right on both counts Martyn. The door on the left of the photo was where you went in, turned right and went into the underground ballroom. The dairy was over the fence to the left of the door.

Steve

Cheers Steve,its all come back to me now-we used to park to the left of the picture in front of the dairy :P

Social source share

No , a senior moment is not responsible ; quite correct .....

With reference to the photograph , the entrance to the KGB was the same doorway as to the " Abbey Snooker Club " , you went in , turned right , and down the stairs ....

A cavernous hall , without much - if no - ventilation , when it had a sizable crowd in , was subjected to the most condensation I have ever witnessed in a building ....

The stage / DJ area of the KGB , had a low curved ceiling , and at the first all - nighter organised there by Terry Sampson , the condensation was extremely bad ....

The condensation constantly built up on the ceiling until the droplets were to heavy to adhere to it , falling like a shower of rain onto everything and everyone below it .....

At that first all - nighter , my spot was followed by the late , great Bub , who upon entering the area , made the priceless comment .....

" If I knew it was going to be like this , I'd have brought my f*****g trunks "

Not so sure about / cannot recall there being a dairy ( never thought to get a pint of milk or a dozen eggs before I went in :P ) , but the building , at the time of the KGB , you will recall , housed Drakes Office Equipment & Supplies .....

Malc Burton

Yep,remember the condensation-great quote from Bub :rolleyes:

My fixation with the dairy is due to the amount of time it took to get the smell of sour milk out of my Mini after Mick Lewin had liberated a crate of gold top to, quote, "knock out in the morning-everyone needs milk in the morning" & used my car as an inpromptue milk bar during the course of the night.....After seeing the photo I was begining to think I had imagined it all

Social source share

Struggle to remember what I had for breakfast Ian let alone 20 odd years ago :P

The nighter was originally upstairs for 60's with Modern down. 60's then went downstairs with the upstairs becoming oldies I think.

Didn't the Fusion have poles about the place? Was the Fascination across the road?

The dance floor had a big yellow frame type thingy,like you was dancing in a box :rolleyes: all disco lights attatched.

Social source share

Yep,remember the condensation-great quote from Bub :rolleyes:

My fixation with the dairy is due to the amount of time it took to get the smell of sour milk out of my Mini after Mick Lewin had liberated a crate of gold top to, quote, "knock out in the morning-everyone needs milk in the morning" & used my car as an inpromptue milk bar during the course of the night.....After seeing the photo I was begining to think I had imagined it all

Hi Martyn ....

One thing that I did notice while I was taking the picture of the building that housed the KGB ( being politically correct there for Mr Mannion ) , how small the car park was / is .....

How the hell did it house so many cars in it when the all- nighters were on , and no damage was done to cars getting in and out of the parking area , I do not know .....

Or was it simply that no one gave a damn because of high spirits :P when arriving or departing ......

Good times .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi Martyn ....

One thing that I did notice while I was taking the picture of the building that housed the KGB ( being politically correct there for Mr Mannion ) , how small the car park was / is .....

How the hell did it house so many cars in it when the all- nighters were on , and no damage was done to cars getting in and out of the parking area , I do not know .....

Or was it simply that no one gave a damn because of high spirits whistling.gif when arriving or departing ......

Good times .....

Malc Burton

Perhaps because we all had a motley collection of Mini's,Anglia's & Heralds ?......Mine was a Mini :P

Social source share

Think I've got an old Windmill pic of Me, Malc Burton, Bill Payne (your Dad) and Andy 'Biggles' Newbold all behind the decks, from way back when.

If I ever find it, I'll post it.

:D

Sean

Well, I found the ones I have, not as good as I remembered but here they are anyway :P

post-5094-1189970750_thumb.jpg

Some right 'villains' here - in fact I daren't even mention their names in case they send out the hit squad out to get me :lol:biggrin.gif

Surprisingly ALL, but one of them are active on here, but not all having quite as much hair these days :lol:

post-5094-1189970733_thumb.jpg

So anyone any idea what year this would have been? - I reckon it's a Christmas 'do' with all the trimmings around the decks.

Social source share

So anyone any idea what year this would have been? - I reckon it's a Christmas 'do' with all the trimmings around the decks.

A "Camp As Christmas" do by the looks of those 'lads' on the second pic. :lol:

1981 a fair guess John?

Left To Right......

Alan Senior - Sean Hampsey - Kev Briscoe (Tucked in behind me) - John 'Bad' Benson - Malc Burton.

Great pic John... but if you wake up with a horses head in bed with you... don't be surprised!

:D

Social source share

A "Camp As Christmas" do by the looks of those 'lads' on the second pic. :lol:

1981 a fair guess John?

Left To Right......

Alan Senior - Sean Hampsey - Kev Briscoe (Tucked in behind me) - John 'Bad' Benson - Malc Burton.

Great pic John... but if you wake up with a horses head in bed with you... don't be surprised!

:lol:

Brilliant , John ; thanks for posting them ..... :D

I'll agree with 1981 .....

The Windmill always made an effort with the decorations at Christmas .....

As noticed in the first one , I have a drink in my hand .....

Are there no photographs from this era in existance showing me without one ?

Things like these give one a bad name :P ......

Sean & John - In the second one , any idea / can you remember who is the person hiding behind the upright of the stage set to the left of you , to the right in / of the photograph ?

Too tall to have been Johnny Bruce ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Brilliant , John ; thanks for posting them ..... :sleep3:

I'll agree with 1981 .....

Sean & John - In the second one , any idea / can you remember who is the person hiding behind the upright of the stage set to the left of you , to the right in / of the photograph ?

Too tall to have been Johnny Bruce ......

Malc Burton

1981 sounds reasonable I'd say.

The one on the right 'hiding' - no idea, I thought it might have been Alan at first, but the jumper's a different colour - even accounting for the flash of the camera, also it looks like he's got a cig in his hand if you look closely.

Does that help at all?? unsure.gif

Social source share

1981 sounds reasonable I'd say.

The one on the right 'hiding' - no idea, I thought it might have been Alan at first, but the jumper's a different colour - even accounting for the flash of the camera, also it looks like he's got a cig in his hand if you look closely.

Does that help at all?? unsure.gif

The one hanging around by the decks while I'm DJ'ing?

Ermmm let me think.

Big fan of mine....

Enjoys a Smoke

Dodgy Jumper

Could it be that sexy Columbian Singer Shakira by any chance?

:sleep3:

post-4120-1190074415_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Then again, Frank always enjoyed a fag!

Could it have been Frank?

unsure.gif

Steady - we have trod this path several days ago :sleep3: ....

After contemplating who that mystery person could be , could it have been Andy Newbold attempting to hide whilst he got his purse out ? :rolleyes: ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

Sean. the photo you mention, I've seen. Old father time has a copy on his desk. Uncle Burton resplendent in his Amber Vision tints and my Dad sporting a kiss curl, indescribable in its futility and length.

He looked happy though. Maybe Reggie had liberated a pound note from the clammy clutch of his wallet.

It's my favourite picture of him, well aside from the one stood behind the European Cup, League Championship, League Cup and Charity Shield at the City Ground.

Social source share

Sean. the photo you mention, I've seen. Old father time has a copy on his desk. Uncle Burton resplendent in his Amber Vision tints and my Dad sporting a kiss curl, indescribable in its futility and length.

He looked happy though. Maybe Reggie had liberated a pound note from the clammy clutch of his wallet.

It's my favourite picture of him, well aside from the one stood behind the European Cup, League Championship, League Cup and Charity Shield at the City Ground.

Dear Young Master Payne .....

Mich to my shame now , they were prescription spectacles , not Amber " 2 for a £1 off Cleggy Market " Vision ones : Believe it or not , I was considered stylish :rolleyes: at that time , having borrowed the look from Paul Schofield ( the DJ , not the Shakespearian actor ) .....

Your Dad never carried a wallet - Securicor looked after it for him ...... :shhh:

Uncle Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

Dear Young Master Payne .....

Mich to my shame now , they were prescription spectacles , not Amber " 2 for a £1 off Cleggy Market " Vision ones : Believe it or not , I was considered stylish rolleyes.gif at that time , having borrowed the look from Paul Schofield ( the DJ , not the Shakespearian actor ) .....

Your Dad never carried a wallet - Securicor looked after it for him ...... :thumbsup:

Uncle Malc Burton

And here is me thinking you'd provide influence to a generation of American rappers by wearing shades in doors.

My Dad still regularly sports a pair of Amber Vision, as you'd expect, not the deluxe models, you know the one's with an arm for both ears.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

I LOVE THIS THREAD--I went to a couple of All Dayers in Chesterfield about 1980--on a Sunday after staying in Leeds on the SAT aftter Leeds Central(9--2,i remember going to a pub on the sunday lunch near the crooked spire.They wer good do,s,the only d.j. i recall was Pat Brady (as i remember going with Lynn to get a copy of Les Chansonettes from Pat,s car--b4 driving back to Northallerton) The club was indeed--"Fusion"--i,ve got some photo,s taken inside--it was part of a cinema(we went for 2 hours during one all-dayer) and you cud hear the muffled sounds of Paris --"Sleepless Nights" whilst watching the film!!!!!.Didn,t realise it became THE Winding Wheel(Danny Everard)years later ,whivh i nearly went to--Off into Leeds now--might get some pics of Leeds Central,The old Leeds Queens Hall (scene of the massive all nighter in 1974)

More please

Tony Coleby.

Struggle to remember what I had for breakfast Ian let alone 20 odd years ago
rolleyes.gif

Social source share

• 10 years later...

I remember going to nighters at a Halifax club, mid 80's it would have been (85/86-ish). Think they only held a few & then they were ended.   Was the place run by some local old Caribbean immigrants ?

Seem to recall it was the same time as great soul nights were being staged on a regular basis at Rock City in Notts.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!