My Theory About Fathers Angels

This record Bok To Bach. Well as far as I know there is no such thing as a BOK. And Bach was a classical composer. So therefore I suggest that the proper name of this track is in fact BARTOK TO BACH as Bartok was also a classical composer.

Who's with me???

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This record Bok To Bach. Well as far as I know there is no such thing as a BOK. And Bach was a classical composer. So therefore I suggest that the proper name of this track is in fact BARTOK TO BACH as Bartok was also a classical composer.

Who's with me???

Another thing about this record that's odd is that it didn't get a proper release in the US. :thumbsup:

Anyone know if it was ever considered for US release, and why it didn't.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Who's with me???

me :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I think its short for REEBok to BachSIDE, as anyone playing this needs a good kicking! :thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Who's with me???

This question as to who was " Bok " had always puzzled me until I did research on it several years ago ....

The BOK in " Bok To Bach " is / was BART JAN BOK ( 1906 - 1983 ) , who intitiated radio astronomy .....

Bok was Director of Astrononomy at the Steward Observatory in Tucson , Arizona , USA , from 1966 to 1970 . He co-authored the statement " Objections to Astronomy " , which was commended and endorsed by various scientific bodies and individuals , including 19 Nobel Prize winners .

The 90" / 2.3 M telescope at the Steward Observatory - the largest in the U.S. - was renamed in his honour following his death in 1983

Malc Burton

post-5097-1179685316.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

This question as to who was " Bok " had always puzzled me until I did research on it several years ago ....

The BOK in " Bok To Bach " is / was BART JAN BOK ( 1906 - 1983 ) , who intitiated radio astronomy .....

Bok was Director of Astrononomy at the Steward Observatory in Tucson , Arizona , USA , from 1966 to 1970 . He co-authored the statement " Objections to Astronomy " , which was commended and endorsed by various scientific bodies and individuals , including 19 Nobel Prize winners .

The 90" / 2.3 M telescope at the Steward Observatory - the largest in the U.S. - was renamed in his honour following his death in 1983 .

Malc Burton

What utter rubbish :P:yes::P

Social source share

What utter rubbish :P:yes::P

Sorry if you feel that way .......

When I have discussed this with people over the years as to who / what was the " Bok " in " Bok To

Bach " , they seem to agree that BJB was the Bok in the title ....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Sorry if you feel that way .......

When I have discussed this with people over the years as to who / what was the " Bok " in " Bok To

Bach " , they seem to agree that BJB was the Bok in the title ....

Malc Burton

Oh come on Malc you are just making this up as you go along :P

can just imagine the scene at Wigan..."Hey you know that astronomer, what was his name, oh yes of course, Bok" to which everyone looks back blankly then runs off for fear of being cracked up

Social source share

Oh come on Malc you are just making this up as you go along :P

can just imagine the scene at Wigan..."Hey you know that astronomer, what was his name, oh yes of course, Bok" to which everyone looks back blankly then runs off for fear of being cracked up

Not kidding Pete ....

I wished I had discussed this subject with people at a venue - it would have been priceless to see the look in their eyes .....

If we cannot agree as to who / what was Bok , let's see if anyone can come up with the answer .....

Truce ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Not kidding Pete ....

I wished I had discussed this subject with people at a venue - it would have been priceless to see the look in their eyes .....

If we cannot agree as to who / what was Bok , let's see if anyone can come up with the answer .....

Truce ?

Malc Burton

Dunno about a truce, I'm just having a laugh Malc, hence the laugh icons after each sentence!

Social source share

Dunno about a truce,I'm just having a laugh Malc, hence the laugh icons after each sentence!

Top Man .....

I know you were ..... :P

I am still going to stick with my theory that BJB is our man ......

If it proves not to be correct , what the hell - it is certainly a discussion point .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Gordon Bok is a folklorist and singer/songwriter who was born on October 31, 1939 in Pennsylvania and grew up in Camden, Maine. His first album, self-titled, was produced by Noel Paul Stookey and released in 1965 on the Verve Records Folkways imprint (not to be confused with Moe Asch's Folkways Records). His second album, A Tune for November, was released on Sandy Paton's Connecticut-based Folk-Legacy label in 1970. His association with Folk-Legacy has continued since that time, though his more recent work (from the early 1990's on) has been released on his own label, Timberhead Music. For a long time he was best known as part of a trio with Ed Trickett and Ann Mayo Muir; the three wove gorgeous vocal harmonies, Trickett accompaying with the hammered dulcimer and Muir with the harp and flute.

Could it be this Bok? Whats on the other side of the single? also writers credits etc could help.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Gordon Bok is a folklorist and singer/songwriter who was born on October 31, 1939 in Pennsylvania and grew up in Camden, Maine. His first album, self-titled, was produced by Noel Paul Stookey and released in 1965 on the Verve Records Folkways imprint (not to be confused with Moe Asch's Folkways Records). His second album, A Tune for November, was released on Sandy Paton's Connecticut-based Folk-Legacy label in 1970. His association with Folk-Legacy has continued since that time, though his more recent work (from the early 1990's on) has been released on his own label, Timberhead Music. For a long time he was best known as part of a trio with Ed Trickett and Ann Mayo Muir; the three wove gorgeous vocal harmonies, Trickett accompaying with the hammered dulcimer and Muir with the harp and flute.

Could it be this Bok? Whats on the other side of the single? also writers credits etc could help.

I am liking these theories , as they have some credibility ....

But I am still convinced that " BOK " was BART JAN BOK .....

There are / were no credits listed for " BTB " ....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Sorry Trevski, I am with Malc Burton on this one.... :P

Social source share

Guest rachel

Who's with me???

Absolutely, can see no reason why they wouldn't name a track after an early 20th century composer and collector of Eastern European folk music, and a 17th/18th cenutry German composer.. makes perfect sense :P

Of course it may be named after 'bok choy', the chinese vegetable :yes:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Even more tempting an answer is this:

Wayne Woodard (the name is sometimes mistakenly rendered as "Woodward") was born in Kansas City, Missouri, his first stop in a peripatetic youth. His parents divorced when he was five; his father and stepmother, strict disciplinarians, discouraged his early artistic efforts. Once he graduated high school, in Duluth, Minnesota, he cut off contact with his father and moved to Seattle to live with his mother. There he became active in SF fandom, including the publication and illustration of fanzines. It was in connection with these activities that he originated his pseudonym, first "Hans", then "Hannes", Bok. The pseudonym derives from Johann Sebastian Bach (whose name can be rendered both as "Johann S. Bach" and "Johannes Bach"). In 1938 he moved to Los Angeles, where he painted murals for the WPA and met Ray Bradbury. Bok corresponded with and met Maxfield Parrish (ca. 1939?), and the influence of Parrish's art on Bok's is evident in his choice of subject matter, use of color and application of glazes. And Flights of Angels: The Life and Legend of Hannes Bok

I think its this one! The Father's Angels were probably fans of Bok's 50's and 60's science fiction and is a tribute to him they may even have taken their name from one of his novels.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Been at the cooking sherry again Malc?

The Bok in question is Herman Van Bok (1887-1956) from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Mr Bok was a talented classical violinist & was also capped 86 times for South Africa at rugby union.

Was credited as running with springs in his boots & the term Springbok is a tribute to him.

Later went on to be a prominent politician.

2 members of Fathers Angels were South African so it all makes sense i guess.

Google him & you'll see it's true.

Like a game of Call My Bluff is this thread.

Social source share

Not according to Jerry Ross it's not :P

What does he know about it :yes:

(I mean... apart from writing and producing it)

It's a typo!

It is really.

A Typo.

All other theories are just trying to cover up the truth...

... and Ross is in on it!

Victim of a crap typesetter... that's all.

A typo!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

The Bok in question is Herman Van Bok (1887-1956) from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Mr Bok was a talented classical violinist & was also capped 86 times for South Africa at rugby union.

Was credited as running with springs in his boots & the term Springbok is a tribute to him.

Bluff! :P Springs in his boots! :yes: Springbok is a type of gazelle!

Social source share

I'm with you Martin!

:P

Social source share

These get better all the time......very entertaining....

Social source share

Guest Bogue

All good attempts, but the real explination is this ;

The famous opening bars on "Bok To Bach" are taken from Bach's "Die Kunst der Fuge" (The Art Of The Fuge), 'Contrapunctas 14' to be exact.

"Die Kunst der Fuge" was the piece that Bach was working on when he died, the last part that he wrote (as it was finished by his sons) was 'Contrapunctas 14' (the mighty triple fuge) which played inverse (upside down) is generaly played "back to back" & strangely the last part that he was dictating to his son in law when he died was the introduction of the motto theme b-a-c-h, commonly known as the "Bach Motif".

The "Bach Motif" when written in music is B flat A C B natural which when written as music looks like ;

b o k (the musical sign for b natural is almost like a k)

o

o (edit, this hasen't come out as typed, the two o's are on a different line when written in music if you can imagine)

So basically it was a play on the Bach piece that it was based upon, the fact it is played back to back, & the Bach motif.

Interestingly, Bartok' was another composer who used the Bach motif in his compositions so he is linked in a small way. :D

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

So he was the inventor of the sport that was enjoyed by the rich folks of Jo'Burg , that took place in a chemist .......

If this is true , it now means that the theory of Peaches and Herb coming from Bridlington is correct .....

As for Sean's " typo " entry into the discussion ; my advice to you my dear friend , is for you to go home from the office at a reasonable time , and stop sniffing the tipex whilst you are there ......

Anyway , I do not like sherry ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

So he was the inventor of the sport that was enjoyed by the rich folks of Jo'Burg , that took place in a chemist .......

If this is true , it now means that the theory of Peaches and Herb coming from Bridlington is correct .....

As for Sean's " typo " entry into the discussion ; my advice to you my dear friend , is for you to go home from the office at a reasonable time , and stop sniffing the tipex whilst you are there ......

Malc Burton

Nonsence Malc.

Peaches & Herb are from Barnsley as you well know :wicked:

Social source share

Malc Burton

Anyway , as an add - on to my earlier post , I did an image search on t'internet in respect of Fathers Angels , and found these on a site ......

One is of FATHER ANGELO , and t'other is of FATHERS ANGELS .....

Father Angelo looks to have been a nice chap , but I thought the picture of Father's Angels was of JoBoxers when I first saw it ....

I like " The Bowery Boys " * look that they are sporting , and look to have been a kick ass bunch , judging by the stance they are adopting ; cannot see any of them with a harp though .....

If you want to see the site for yourself , click on image search and type in Fathers Angels ....

When the picture of FA comes up , click on it , and this will bring up a page called " Yo ! Philadelphia " , which states underneath ' Jerry Ross ' , and a picture of the gentleman .....

Scroll down past the bits on Bill Deal and The Rondells and The Cherry People , and voila ! you have the info on / pictures of , FA and FA ......

Pity it is all in Japanese ......

The pictures are from a site - www.circustown.net - Click on the link here - and it will bring up the web page of Circustown , which again , except for some english wording , is mainly in Japanese .....

After opening the site , I clicked on the " Add some music for your day " link , and it brought up a page which , when scrolled down on , brings up a page - dated January 17th , 2001 , with again , a photograph of Jerry Ross and the word " Yo ! " .....

This opens the " Yo Philadelphia - Producer Jerry Ross ' stories " page : , which when scrolled down , offers a wealth of information - including a photograph of JR sat at a desk , with an unnamed group behind him - and headings such as " Heritage " and " Colossus " : but again the sodding thing is in Japanese .....

Anybody able to translate ?

( * " The Bowery Boys " - a series of American comedy films , starring Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall , which were made between 1946 and 1958 , which included such titles as " Spook Business " , " Live Wires " and " Hold The Baby " ; and before you ask , yes - I am a fan of these films ...... )

Malc Burton

post-5097-1179811331.jpg

post-5097-1179811343_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Nonsence Malc.

Peaches & Herb are from Barnsley as you well know :wicked:

Not so sure about that Martin ......

You know they are wary of fancy foods there ....... :huh:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source