Velvet Satins

B4 i OFFER 4 SALE I need to authenticate this,if anyone can help please.....

The Velvet Satins......GENERAL AMERICAN GA-006 promo copy

PLUG SIDE...UP TO THE ROOFTOP.....deadwax...X opposite PLUG SIDE,inch and a half space then scratched in ZXSE 12303,inch space Bell Sound,inch space X

flip..............NOTHING CAN COMPARE TO YOU deadwax...(.at 7 o'clock)Bell Sound 3/4 inch space ZXSE 12304-RE-A

I am not quite sure if this is styrene, if you know what I mean,the overall condition is excellent and plays perfect,thanks in advance,John Elias.

post-3009-1179691222_thumb.jpg

Edited by dancingcollector
Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

PLUG SIDE...UP TO THE ROOFTOP.....deadwax...X opposite PLUG SIDE,inch and a half space then scratched in ZXSE 12303,inch space Bell Sound,inch space X

flip..............NOTHING CAN COMPARE TO YOU deadwax...(.at 7 o'clock)Bell Sound 3/4 inch space ZXSE 12304-RE-A

I am not quite sure if this is styrene, if you know what I mean,the overall condition is excellent and plays perfect,thanks in advance,John Elias.

How much?its right in my books :D

Social source share

Unless it was booted twice with that label design this is a real one.

The 70s boot was pressed at Monarch and there's an MR stamp in circle and then the usual triangle and delta No 100301 X. Biggest giveaway is that the run out groove on the boot is massive - wider than the actual track in fact.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Of coarse its real,Dancingcollector but i`m un-knowledgable :ohmy:

Hi

I saw this earlier, but I don't know if I this will help at all.

This is one of the Original DEMO's

General_American_GA-006a.jpg

I have the Vinyl Version of this, which has the "Bell Sound" & The "Nashville Matrix". Both Sides.

On the "Nothing Can Compare To You" Side. DeadWax as follows.

@ 06 Oclock "Bell Sound" Stamped

@ 05 O'Clock "ZXSE-12304 RE - 1D" Scratched

@ 02 O'Clock "Nashville Matrix" Stamped

@ 12 O'Clock "5" Scratched

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Yes, but I said "with that label design", Ken. If you splash out on a decent pair of specs you'll notice that there's a slight difference colour-wise :ohmy:

Godz

Ah well,its monday.............Bell sound stamp will do me..........and the stamped X will do me. :unsure: Dont mind paying boot prices tho` :thumbsup:

Social source share

Unless it was booted twice with that label design this is a real one.

The 70s boot was pressed at Monarch and there's an MR stamp in circle and then the usual triangle and delta No 10031 X. Biggest giveaway is that the run out groove on the boot is massive - wider than the actual track in fact.

Godz

There is a Counterfeit copy White & Black Swirl with P.B. in the Deadwax.

I'm not sure, think it was on Vinyl, I'll try to find it.

Social source share

There is a Counterfeit copy White & Black Swirl with P.B. in the Deadwax.

I'm not sure, think it was on Vinyl, I'll try to find it.

The one Dancin`C posted is styrene,raised label like HIB,Shrine,United artists,etc.

Social source share

post-1986-1179768963.jpg

Boot!!

There is also a boot similiar to the original but the swirl is coloured in red

all the original designs (there are at least 3 (yellow, white block print + white swirl plus a red issue)

should be £250+

The issue is mega rare £400+

the funny thing is it was made at least twice with the credits reversed from left to right

hope this helps

Social source share

all the original designs (there are at least 3 (yellow, white block print + white swirl plus a red issue)

should be £250+

the funny thing is it was made at least twice with the credits reversed from left to right

hope this helps

£250+ plus,forget it!!!............................its a boot!! :ohmy:

Edited by ken
Social source share

£250+ plus,forget it!!!............................its a boot!! :ohmy:

You've lost me now Ken. The pic I posted with the Monarch stamps is a boot. If the other one with a similar label is Bell Sound stamped and no Monarch referrence surely it's legit?

Godz

Social source share

You've lost me now Ken. The pic I posted with the Monarch stamps is a boot. If the other one with a similar label is Bell Sound stamped and no Monarch referrence surely it's legit?

Godz

Its real, always was

look on my site

ken was joking thats why :ohmy:

Edited by SaracensSoul
Social source share

Godz

This one Godzpost-1986-1179770945.jpgGet with the program!! :ohmy:

Social source share

Here's the white and red boot. Check the (huge) run out.

100301 dates it well into the 70s doesn't it?

Godz

post-1918-1179770218_thumb.jpg

Hi Godz

Here's the White and Black Swirl Vinyl Boot. Only Numbers Scratched in the DeadWax and P.B.

I was sold this as a real one, years ago at a Venue, but It's a BOOT.

------------* BOOT *

General_American_GA-006a_DJ_B.jpg

------------* BOOT *

Social source share

There is also a boot similiar to the original but the swirl is coloured in red

should be £250+

hope this helps

Sorry to disagree. I struggled to get £125 for a demo last year, in fact it went for something much lower when I put it on ebay after no-one bought it, I'd rate it £175 tops, the issue is rare but no more than £250

Social source share

Hi Godz

Here's the White and Black Swirl Vinyl Boot. Only Numbers Scratched in the DeadWax and P.B.

I was sold this as a real one, years ago at a Venue, but It's a BOOT.

------------* BOOT *

General_American_GA-006a_DJ_B.jpg

------------* BOOT *

This counterfeit is rare, it came out just before the styrene boot with the same design in early 1976. There's another boot which makes no attempt to copy any of the labels, pale blue with the label name at the top and one sided if I remember correctly. Also there's a yellow one...

Social source share

This counterfeit is rare, it came out just before the styrene boot with the same design in early 1976. There's another boot which makes no attempt to copy any of the labels, pale blue with the label name at the top and one sided if I remember correctly. Also there's a yellow one...

Are you sure on the yellow one?

I bought one donkeys years ago for £10 as an original (didnt check)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Are you sure on the yellow one?

I bought one donkeys years ago for £10 as an original (didnt check)

Some guy wrote a definitive article on this record in an old Northern Soul fanzine several years ago. Apparently he owned a copy of every (LEGAL) issue and demo as he claimed it was his "favourite record" (it would have to be!) Anyway, he NEVER MENTIONED A YELLOW LABEL. There were styrene demos in black & white with red swirl, assorted vinyl demos in black & white (with varying sizes of type) and issue copy with red label/yellow swirl. If I can find the article I'll copy it out.

However, surely the obvious solution is to post up a known original label (or two) and leave the bootleg scans out of it altogether, as otherwise it just gets too damned confusing!

I'm assuming this copy - the most common styrene demo, and bought from Soul Bowl - is an original if it's of any help (though apparently the bag is harder to find than the record!) The label on this format is very distinctive with a shiny coated paper effect, which is not often seen on a record label in my experience. I assume the bootlegs/facsimiles did not mimic this! (The shine and texture on 'Dancing collector's' massive original scan looks authentic enough to me!)

post-4950-1179785539_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Some guy wrote a definitive article on this record in an old Northern Soul fanzine several years ago. Apparently he owned a copy of every (LEGAL) issue and demo as he claimed it was his "favourite record" (it would have to be!) Anyway, he NEVER MENTIONED A YELLOW LABEL. There were styrene demos in black & white with red swirl, assorted vinyl demos in black & white (with varying sizes of type) and issue copy with red label/yellow swirl. If I can find the article I'll copy it out.

However, surely the obvious solution is to post up an known original label (or two) and leave the bootleg scans out of it altogether, as otherwise it just gets too damned confusing!

I'm assuming this copy, from Soul Bowl, is an original if it's of any help (though apparently the bag is harder to find than the record!)

post-4950-1179785539_thumb.jpg

How would that help,unless somebody post one the same as thispost-1986-1179785831.jpgand nobody as yet,but this is real i have no doubt whatsoever,but is the same as yours.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest mel brat

How would that help,unless somebody post one the same as thispost-1986-1179785831.jpgand nobody as yet,but this is real i have no doubt whatsoever,but is the same as yours.

So why write this???

"B4 i OFFER 4 SALE I need to authenticate this, if anyone can help please....."

Social source share

So why write this???

I didnt,and we have authenticated it. :wicked:

Social source share

So why write this???

I wrote this because the matrix number is different to 56769 which is quoted in John Manship's bootleg guide,simple as that really.Cheers,John Elias.

Social source share

Isn't the yellow one Canadian ?

I had a Yellow one back in the 70's, Steve.

I heard it was Canadian soon after and bought it as a proper one (for a couple of quid)... but sold it for pennies a few years later as by then I believed it to be a boot.

Pretty sure it was.

The label design was unlike those above... just pure black type on a yellow background. Must be loads of them out there.

Is this the one you're referring to Pete?

Sean

Social source share

Guest martyn

EXACTLY the same as mine except mine is vinyl with a moulded over label

Social source share

Guest mikew4

I had a Yellow one back in the 70's, Steve.

I heard it was Canadian soon after and bought it as a proper one (for a couple of quid)... but sold it for pennies a few years later as by then I believed it to be a boot.

Pretty sure it was.

The label design was unlike those above... just pure black type on a yellow background. Must be loads of them out there.

Is this the one you're referring to Pete?

Sean

I bought a yellow one at Wigan and still have it. It's vinyl with a HUGE run out. I can't remeber what I paid for it but would bet lots of monet that it's a boot.

Mike.

Social source share

EXACTLY the same as mine except mine is vinyl with a moulded over label

What even a X in the run-out stamped,i doubt it Martyn.

Social source share

Guest martyn

What even a X in the run-out stamped,i doubt it Martyn.

yes.gif Yes,seriously Ken.I bought it off E-Bay a couple of years back.The raised X is only on the "rooftop"side.It feels to flexible to be styrene,(though I'm not about to test it too much).If it is styrene it feels very high quallity.Its totally different to the boot with the red spiral.

Sorry for the late reply-been away

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!