Dolly Gilmore... What A Record

My latest love record wise is : Dolly Gilmore - Sweet Sweet Baby - DOVE

Is it around the £400 mark ? Wondering how many copie's and which dj's I can pester to play it for me biggrin.gif

Such a suberb recording and the label - well what more can I say......

On John's auction at moment - sadly won't be the one buying it - but if someone want's to buy it for me... :D

Karen

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Richard Bergman

Is it around the £400 mark ? Wondering how many copie's and which dj's I can pester to play it for me biggrin.gif

On John's auction at moment - sadly won't be the one buying it - but if someone want's to buy it for me... :D

Karen

The flip is much better imo " your the yes in my life"......

Brett Franklin plays this out quite a bit as does Mick H

Social source share

Guest rachel

The flip is much better imo " your the yes in my life"......

I agree, love both sides but if I had to choose... :D Last time there was one on Manship's it went for about £800 if I remember rightly, seen a couple for sale (probably on here if you do a search) for £500-ish.

Social source share

Karen

Cracking two-sider. Sold a copy a while back for just over £300. Think I might be regretting that in more ways than one, soon, even though that was, realistically, top-dollar. At the time. mellow.gif

Social source share

Cracking two-sider. Sold a copy a while back for just over £300. Think I might be regretting that in more ways than one, soon, even though that was, realistically, top-dollar. At the time. :D

This is the same price I thought it tended to sell for.... £500 seems high ? but who knows....;. mellow.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Karen

Top funk tune, but of classic thanks to Wrighty, pretty sure it got it's first airing at the "Texas Funk" launch party a few years ago, I've got the live recording of Ian Vs Keb Vs Josh, I'll see if I can fish it out and post it up on here, worth a listen for the drunken nonsense on the mic! It's on his "Sisterfunk 2" compilation if you want a good copy of it on CD.

You should get yourself down to London this weekend for Soul Revolution Karen! You'll hear plenty of stuff like that in the "Deepfunk Room", I'm sure the DJs would be happy to take requests of that sort of quality thumbsup.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Karen

I heard one of the DJs at the final Cleethorpes winter gardens alldayer saying over the microphone that it was discovered by Dave Godin, is this the case?

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Darks

I heard one of the DJs at the final Cleethorpes winter gardens alldayer saying over the microphone that it was discovered by Dave Godin, is this the case?

Ste.

Hello Ste,

Spun this last night at Mr Cato's excellent Bay Horse gig.

Been a cult record for many years as a result of Dave Godin championing the record. I know he definately reviewed it in Blues and Soul back in the 70s but can't remember precisely when.

Seems to have taken off in the last three years with interest from the Funk scene. Which is not surprising as it is more of a funk record than a northern record.

Interestingly enough, there is another version by her on canadian "Right On" a label with the same design but with no connection to Dave's own "Right On" label.

Great record both sides.

Thanks for the lift the other week by the way. You obviously made it home!

Regards Alan

Social source share

Ste.

My recollection is that Dave Godin mentioned the other Dolly Gilmore 45 on Startown??? back in B&S around 75ish - I picked up the Sweet Sweet Baby 45 on the basis of that review in 1976 - I never did find the other!!! I never heard it played at venues in 75/76 but it was known by people but was regard as too offbeat. I always played it with the likes of Diane Jenkin's Tow-a-way Zone - another Godin rave which I bought after reading his review.

Colin

Social source share

I've had the record for decades... Was talked about years ago, but didn't realise it was in demand 'again' until a couple of years ago when Mike Charlton played it at Yarmouth and later when Alan Darker got his.

Mine had been gathering dust in the drawer since the mid 70's... but will almost certainly be giving it a spin at MONUMENTAL next Saturday night!.

Also have the 'Right On' version which has the superb "Aint No Man" on the flip.

:(

Sean

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Hello Ste,

Spun this last night at Mr Cato's excellent Bay Horse gig.

Been a cult record for many years as a result of Dave Godin championing the record. I know he definately reviewed it in Blues and Soul back in the 70s but can't remember precisely when.

Seems to have taken off in the last three years with interest from the Funk scene. Which is not surprising as it is more of a funk record than a northern record.

Interestingly enough, there is another version by her on canadian "Right On" a label with the same design but with no connection to Dave's own "Right On" label.

Great record both sides.

Thanks for the lift the other week by the way. You obviously made it home!

Regards Alan

Hi,

I think we had this conversation in the car the other week, its all pretty vague though as i was pretty well pished at the time! Hope to get back over to Manchester for the Sunday in the near future, i really enjoyed the last one - certainly didnt feel like a Sunday night!

Ste.

Social source share

Sean

Just checked - my mind is going in old age!! Godin reviewed Sweet Sweet Baby in B&S 173 in November 1975 - is there one other side by her on Right On?? I had Startown in my mind because Godin reviewed Eddie James on that label at about same time!! I must have bought it after he reviewed it - probably Ebony Sounds???

Cheers

Colin

Social source share

Guest Darks

Hi,

I think we had this conversation in the car the other week, its all pretty vague though as i was pretty well pished at the time! Hope to get back over to Manchester for the Sunday in the near future, i really enjoyed the last one - certainly didnt feel like a Sunday night!

Ste.

Good to meet you both. Look forward to seeing you again. Great night agian last night.

Generally speaking, I must try and get the "right on" version on Sean's rec of the b-side. However, I've got a feeling the price has hiked up on the strength of the "Dove" version.

It's funny how these things take off. I new about the record for years as I had it on tape, with no track listing, took me some time to figure out who it was. A mate Chris Shepherd reminded me of it as he had bought it on the basis of Dave's review. I must say I began to panic as the price got higher and higher. I was lucky for once and got it a fair price a few years back. Nothing like the current value. Crazy.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Sean

Just checked - my mind is going in old age!! Godin reviewed Sweet Sweet Baby in B&S 173 in November 1975 - is there one other side by her on Right On?? I had Startown in my mind because Godin reviewed Eddie James on that label at about same time!! I must have bought it after he reviewed it - probably Ebony Sounds???

Cheers

Colin

Yes Colin,

The 'Right On' is entitled 'Sweet Sweet Man' but is essentially the same record.

The flip is quite a goodie too 'Aint No Man Like My Man'...

Sean

Social source share

Guest Coxy

Yes Colin,

The 'Right On' is entitled 'Sweet Sweet Man' but is essentially the same record.

The flip is quite a goodie too 'Aint No Man Like My Man'...

Sean

The flip of the Dove 45 aint bad either, "dont you know ime the yes in your life". Used to play it when I ran Arties Mill :thumbsup:

Trev

Social source share

Hi Karen

I recently featured the other side of the Dolly Gilmore on my blog:

Cheers

Colin

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/

Hi Colin

Thanks for that - "Don't you know your the yes" is very good - but it's still "sweet sweet baby" that has that extra something for me.. :ohmy:

Karen

Top funk tune, but of classic thanks to Wrighty, pretty sure it got it's first airing at the "Texas Funk" launch party a few years ago, I've got the live recording of Ian Vs Keb Vs Josh, I'll see if I can fish it out and post it up on here, worth a listen for the drunken nonsense on the mic! It's on his "Sisterfunk 2" compilation if you want a good copy of it on CD.

You should get yourself down to London this weekend for Soul Revolution Karen! You'll hear plenty of stuff like that in the "Deepfunk Room", I'm sure the DJs would be happy to take requests of that sort of quality :thumbsup:

Fancied getting myself down to the Soulrevolution Jame's - look's like a good niter - will try to make it this weekend if not will be the next one... :unsure: (gently reminder about cd) smile.gif

Karen

Enjoyed reading replies to thread thanks for info - wondered if anyone got a sound clip of the Right on version "Sweet sweet man" and "Ain't no man like my man" pleaseee biggrin.gif

Karen

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Dolly Gilmore is another one of those sides that sounds just right today, and though fairly obscure wasn't that hard to get hold of in back in '75. Black Wax had copies on their list and it got a few spins (at you-know-where!) at around the same time as the Boogie Man Orchestra and "Supership" etc. When he had a shop in Walsall C.1977, Pep even had a few Dolly Gilmores in his "cheap box" @ 30p!! (absolutely true!)

Moral of story is "never sell a record you like, 'cos ya just never know..." sad.gif

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

there was a copy for sale on here last autumn for £350 and it sold in a matter of minutes

i bought one recently for a fair bit more than £300

i would say £500 isnt over the top - but then i would, wouldn't i :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!