Cutting Records Off

Just thought I'd ask.

As this is still predominately a Dancing scene, if the tune you've just slapped on dies a death would/should you cut it and put something else on instead????

It's something I used to do a long time ago, and I have done it a coupla times since, but......what do reckon?????

Tony

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Andy Kempster

Just thought I'd ask.

As this is still predominately a Dancing scene, if the tune you've just slapped on dies a death would/should you cut it and put something else on instead????

It's something I used to do a long time ago, and I have done it a coupla times since, but......what do reckon?????

Tony

i think fading out an overly long record is fine but cutting off is a bit severe, i have had to suffer the instrumental side of a tune before wishing i had the balls to cut it off and start again but chose to use the time to come back with something extra special

Social source share

Just thought I'd ask.

Tony

Nope. If it's good enough to go on, then it's good enough to stay on....cutting records off sounds like someone's panicing to me...anyway it assumes everyone's a dancer, a lot of people like to listen...

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Just thought I'd ask.

Tony

Depends.. If it's something new you have faith in, persist! Lot's of 'biggies' cleared the floor on their first outings :D

Social source share

These days its fine , you can even go up to the decks and a take the record off the decks if your not happy with the DJ ... ask James Rubble :D

Yeah I never did get to the bottom of that story.......

Also one of my mottos: "If I don't clear the dancefloor at least once or twice in a set I would be disappointed with myself".

Social source share

Also one of my mottos: "If I don't clear the dancefloor at least once or twice in a set I would be disappointed with myself".

I used to walk outside to some of Kebs stuff hahha .clearing the venue with a record now that would be a trick ?

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

These days its fine , you can even go up to the decks and a take the record off the decks if your not happy with the DJ ... ask James Rubble :thumbsup:

Has James got a brother called Barney?????? :(

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

I've been criticised on this site for admitting to cutting records short. I don't think you should make a habit of it, but sometimes you've just got to do what seems right at the time. There are so many variables that can make each situation different. Your task as a DJ is to select the best option.

Good Luck.

Social source share

Just thought I'd ask.

Tony

Nothing wrong with the quality but I don't think Tony Jebb ever played a record all the way through. :( . I think we have all played things that were not quite right for the mood or the night or they were just not known by the crowd. I've emptied the floor, well virtually, with the Vondells, Mixed Feelings, Gwen Douglas and even Frances Nero with an oldies crowd but cut them short? Never.

Edited by ged parker
Social source share

Just thought I'd ask.

Tony

I dont like this practice....very often as many are moving off the floor I am moving on to the floor , only to have the tune cut off.....very anoying,and it does'nt mean its a bad tune ,the Vondells for instance love to hear it ....But can't dance to it :ohmy:

Bazza

Social source share

you must be very dissappointed most of the time then steve :ohmy:

only jokin m8 :thumbsup:

Social source share

I've been criticised on this site for admitting to cutting records short. I don't think you should make a habit of it, but sometimes you've just got to do what seems right at the time. There are so many variables that can make each situation different. Your task as a DJ is to select the best option.

Good Luck.

kevin tell the truth...we asked you to cut all your records short :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

I have it much easier since in JA music, quick changes and playing half a song are normal accepted practices.

I do it on a regular basis when I have a record that doesn't "cooperate" (skips or sounds bad with the cartridge I'm using). As far as a dancefloor stopper, fade it out and start a new one.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Just thought I'd ask.

No, not acceptable IMO, unless the record's skipping/damaged. You should have the courage of your convictions and once it's on, it should stay on.

I was out somewhere that shall be nameless about 6 months ago and the DJ actually cut a record off whilst I and a few others were dancing to it, presumably because the floor had thinned out. Bad enough, but it was the only decent record I'd heard all night. Just made me resolve never to go back to that venue. If DJs aren't prepared to thin the floor out, or even clear it, then how do newer sounds, or imaginatively re-activated older ones, ever get to be appreciated by people outside their own homes?

Re: JA sounds- I used to go to quite a lot of Blues parties with my Jamaican flatmate and the practice of stopping records halfway through and re-winding used to drive me up the wall!! Re-winding just seemed to give the DJ a chance to chat rubbish all over the record the first time they played it. I could just never get my head round it. I suppose the intention was to build up anticipation, atmosphere, etc, but you have to be a pretty skilled DJ to do this and most of them weren't!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There are plenty of records that I've heard played out and wished that the DJ would take off before they end, but the bottom line is - no, records should never be taken off before their natural fade starts, unless:

a) they're jumping or sticking or

cool.gif the wrong side of a single, or wrong album cut, has been accidentally selected by mistake or

c) they're being played on a reggae sound system, in which case it's de rigeur not to play them all the way through...

Far as I'm concerned, any DJ who regularly clips more than a few seconds from the very end of any record is owning up to the fact that they don't really know how to read their crowd. As Steve G says, 'good enough to go on, good enough to stay on'.

Any DJ who kills a floor should have the courage of their convictions and should anyway know and have something in their box that will revive it with the very next spin.

'Rewinding' the odd tune here and there because the crowd wants more of it is, however, perfectly acceptable, as long as it's not overdone...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

I was out somewhere that shall be nameless about 6 months ago and the DJ actually cut a record off whilst I and a few others were dancing to it, presumably because the floor had thinned out.

That's something I won't do. I'm there to keep the dancers out, even if it means tolerating a crappy song to the end. Just means that next time I'll "forget" to bring it if it's really that bad. Like all those "Skinhead... " 45s I own...

Re: JA sounds- I used to go to quite a lot of Blues parties with my Jamaican flatmate and the practice of stopping records halfway through and re-winding used to drive me up the wall!! Re-winding just seemed to give the DJ a chance to chat rubbish all over the record the first time they played it. I could just never get my head round it. I suppose the intention was to build up anticipation, atmosphere, etc, but you have to be a pretty skilled DJ to do this and most of them weren't!

Rewinding is only supposed to be done for a song that the crowd really loves and requests it. I've read about early sound systems having to rewind songs that went over well on the lawn 10+ times before the crowd let the selector and DJ move on.

It's one of those things I've never been good at, probably because I'm too worried about how I'm going to replace the 45 if I screw the rewind up...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!