Mill Street Depot Interview

I'm back with another interview, this time with Jimmy Mayes, about his band Mill Street Depot (who cut records on Port, FM, Shout, Stang, Gerim, Depot, and several other labels). His records probably have more funk and modern interest than northern, but he has an extremely interesting story that touches many different musicians across different states. For example, he was a member of the Kansas City Playboys and the Carvettes, and Jimi Hendrix was a member of his band before becoming famous. He even cut records in Mexico and scored and appeared in a couple of Mexican films. The interview is the last one at:

www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

thanks,

Bob

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest tijuana

Bob, I have the mp3s of the Mexican release EP by Mill St. Depot . Only "Ghetto to the Top" was on the Offensive Pop comp.. the other one looks like it was released as a 7" EP. Its got "El Sonky", "El Sonky Drummer" "Understanding A Man" and "Social Security Number". Cool interview. Email me tonight and I'll send you the mp3s

Edited by tijuana
Social source share

Bob, I have the mp3s of the Mexican release EP by Mill St. Depot . Only "Ghetto to the Top" was on the Offensive Pop comp.. the other one looks like it was released as a 7" EP. Its got "El Sonky", "El Sonky Drummer" "Understanding A Man" and "Social Security Number". Cool interview. Email me tonight and I'll send you the mp3s

awesome, I knew you might be the person to ask about mexican records, but I never got a chance to email you. Any idea where to get the movies he mentions? Those sound awesome.

Social source share

Guest tijuana

awesome, I knew you might be the person to ask about mexican records, but I never got a chance to email you. Any idea where to get the movies he mentions? Those sound awesome.

If they were popular movies at all, you might be able to find bootlegs of them at one of the flea markets around town. I bet theres some cool music on those movies!

I should be able to get a scan of the EP too, my friend in L.A. has it. Ive had those mp3s for a few years, and I always figured it had to be the same band.

Social source share

If they were popular movies at all, you might be able to find bootlegs of them at one of the flea markets around town. I bet theres some cool music on those movies!

I should be able to get a scan of the EP too, my friend in L.A. has it. Ive had those mp3s for a few years, and I always figured it had to be the same band.

he told me one of the movies got shown on telemundo so i guess they're popular to some extent. i will ask around at maxwell street, i think there's always a few dvd vendors.

Social source share

Guest tijuana

A better bet would be the Swap o Rama on Ashland, or the one in Melrose Park. Theres a guy with a ton of Mexican DVDs at the one on Ashland

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!