Garrison Record Label

Guest Rich Walker

I think it was new orleans, but i'm not 100% sure.

Did Wand own this label? I'm sure I read that somewhere?

Cheers,

Rich.

Social source share

Guest Rich Walker

And now we know! :P

Cheers guys... a fountain of knowledge as always.

Sorry if I confused things. Not sure where I got new orleans from?

Social source share

And now we know! :P

Cheers guys... a fountain of knowledge as always.

Sorry if I confused things. Not sure where I got new orleans from?

1st. record Garrison released (Earl Harrison) was issued on a New Orleans based label A.B.S (always better sounds) first...so your not completely wrong.

Social source share

Yes it was a Detroit recording but leased out to this New York label .Best ,Eddie

Few! cheers Eddie, thought i was going mad or incredibly wrong there biggrin.gif

Traits on the lable is a great cheapie :thumbsup:

Social source share

Few! cheers Eddie, thought i was going mad or incredibly wrong there :P

Traits on the lable is a great cheapie :ohmy:

you're not wrong there baz :lol:

Social source share

• 12 years later...

The label was registered in Pasadena Texas and was founded by John Terry who at the time had about 6 alias namely Johnny Winford Terry, T. Winfred, Terry, Terry Winford, Terry Winifred, W. E. Terry, W. Terry, W.E. Terry, Winford, Winford E. Terry etc he must of had a number of address scattered all over the USA ? He used Empire records to push his various enterprises and was well networked because of the success he had in the Drifters and of course with Slice Tomatoes which was a huge bill board R/B hit. Hope this helps Eddie. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Johnny Terry was with The Drifters, and worked a lot out of New York.  But several Detroit producers teamed up with him to release their Detroit-recorded products.  Empire had mostly (if not exclusively) Detroit productions, and Garrison had productions from all over USA, but had several Detroit productions.  Johnny Terry also placed some Detroit productions with Juggy Murray's group of New York labels.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I always thought the Honey Bees was Philly or Detroit. ?

I always thought they recorded under the names The Cinderellas, The Cookies and The Palisades out of New York, but The Garrison release might just be a same name different group ? I think Dave you are referring to Honey And The Bees :):)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I always thought they recorded under the names The Cinderellas, The Cookies and The Palisades out of New York, but The Garrison release might just be a same name different group ? I think Dave you are referring to Honey And The Bees :):)

No The Honey Bees,just had a look at my copy and Let’s get back together is written by Don Mancha and Edwin Starr,and arranged by Mike Terry.And Never in a million years written by Bridges and Beasley and arranged by Mike Terry,also it’s the vocal to Jack Montgomery on Barracuda which is Detroit,and both have the same publisher that’s why I thought it was Detroit..........

Social source share

4 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

No The Honey Bees,just had a look at my copy and Let’s get back together is written by Don Mancha and Edwin Starr,and arranged by Mike Terry.And Never in a million years written by Bridges and Beasley and arranged by Mike Terry,also it’s the vocal to Jack Montgomery on Barracuda which is Detroit,and both have the same publisher that’s why I thought it was Detroit..........

Thought you were still after this ?.....hope you didn't buy it from some one local we both know 🤔😳😉

Social source share

The label was not Detroit. It was owned by Pete Garris and one of the Scepter guys in NY (Sam Goff who was dating Florence's daughter) and they released tracks from NY, New Orleans, Texas and Detroit. Can't believe having documented and researched all this thoroughly in my book, there is still so little knowledge and the same erroneous myths still abound😩.  

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 03/08/2019 at 17:45, Dave Fleming said:

I know that mate that’s why I said the Honey Bees and not Honey and The Bees.....😉

I should have made it clearer, The Honey Bees weren't from Philly, it was Honey & the Bees who were Philly.  Wasn't really for your benefit as I knew you would now where the Honey & The Bees were from, I just happened to quote your comment.

The Honey Bees were from New York.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

On 03/08/2019 at 15:41, Blackpoolsoul said:

Apparently they were previously The Orchids of That Boy Is Messing Up My Mind fame.

Social source share

I've become confused ... not about Garrison Records because Steve G has set that record straight ... more about the Honey Bees

There are comments on YT from family members about who they were ... I'm sure this has been pointed out before

As examples

Delano Williams 3 years ago

This is My Aunt Barbara Williams; I AM Juanita Williams Son.... Thank You for remember them...... GOD BLESS

There was a YT comment from a family member that named all of the group members

Has anybody saved it ?

Andy 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The Honey bees were from Detroit (not NY) and were spotted singing in a night club - again from my book.    They comprised Barbara Ann Williams, her sister Juanita Williams and a lady who's last name was Stegall. I got that piece of info from Gilly originally. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Steve G said:

The Honey bees were from Detroit (not NY) and were spotted singing in a night club - again from my book.    They comprised Barbara Ann Williams, her sister Juanita Williams and a lady who's last name was Stegall. I got that piece of info from Gilly originally. 

I am sure your info is correct Steve, however there are a few clips of the Garrison 45 on youtube which clearly cross reference pictures of the group that were on Fontana 'She don't deserve you'. This group are documented as being Margaret Ross, Dorothy Jones, Earl-Jean Mcrae. So it would appear those posting these vids obviosly have their wires crossed. Group harmony has the Detriot group as uncredited backing singers on Jack Montgomerys Barracuda 45.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Still Diggin said:

I am sure your info is correct Steve, however there are a few clips of the Garrison 45 on youtube which clearly cross reference pictures of the group that were on Fontana 'She don't deserve you'. This group are documented as being Margaret Ross, Dorothy Jones, Earl-Jean Mcrae. So it would appear those posting these vids obviosly have their wires crossed. Group harmony has the Detriot group as uncredited backing singers on Jack Montgomerys Barracuda 45.

Yes I am sure they were on Jack Mongomery's 45; that would tie up nicely. The Fontana group were completely different as I am sure you know. Cheers.  

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Chalky said:

The video below is from the son of Juanita, Delano Williams. it shows how all the group members are connected

https://youtu.be/d32GQSAsTyc

That name Stegall again....the third member was called Stegall. 

1 minute ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This is great stuff about this label

Does anyone know who Bobby and Wallace were

Bobby.jpg

Yes I do. One of them was Jerry Williams barber. You really do need to buy my book before they're all gone. 

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Steve G said:

That name Stegall again....the third member was called Stegall. 

Yes I do. One of them was Jerry Williams barber. You really do need to buy my book before they're all gone. 

I need to read it fully rather than dip in and out. I have a back log of books to read though. 

Social source share

29 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I need to read it fully rather than dip in and out. I have a back log of books to read though. 

At least you bought a copy Chalky for which I thank you.  I'd just started a second book about forgotten Alabama soul singers which would have been a right riveting read, but I am seriously thinking of giving up on it. A diminishing number of people seem to want factual information in a written format, much easier to speculate and guess on the internet I guess, and of course it is free. A bit like the wider world right now I suppose. PS: Maybe we should call the NY Honeybees (Earl Jean etc.) The Honeybees (2) to avoid confusion with the Detroit gals. 😉

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Steve G said:

At least you bought a copy Chalky for which I thank you.  I'd just started a second book about forgotten Alabama soul singers which would have been a right riveting read, but I am seriously thinking of giving up on it. A diminishing number of people seem to want factual information in a written format, much easier to speculate and guess on the internet I guess, and of course it is free. A bit like the wider world right now I suppose. PS: Maybe we should call the NY Honeybees (Earl Jean etc.) The Honeybees (2) to avoid confusion with the Detroit gals. 😉

Steve, don't give up, some folks still read books and I appreciate how much work you have done and must need to do to get all the info and get it published, it must be tough work. It must be as simple as some people collect CD's not vinyl or use MP3's in the "New World". I don't collect books and am one of the "hunt around" on the net for info. It's IMHO that knowledge should be shared as much as possible (especially on this site) and I love that some of the members on here know so so much and are sharing it for histories/accuracy sake :)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!