Yet Another Batch Of Bootlegs?

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know that this is nowhere near the worst thing about these bootlegs... but it constantly amazes me how ANYONE can "design" such utterly awful looking labels? They are absolutely horrendous.

I was thinking exactly the same thing...done by an 8 year old on microsoft publisher

Social source share

Guest Paul

And "IALY" ? >>> LINK <<<

"MANUFACTURED AND PRODUCED IN IALY"

Hello,

I think they put "IALY" because they can't spell "SOUTH LONDON"

:boxing:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

I was just flicking through Ebay and was just thinking to myself..

(keeping away from the rights and wrongs of bootlegging and buying boots for 5 minutes)

Who actually buys these new boots to make it profitable?

I have friends that buy them, but thats only one or two people, how many would you need to make and sell to make a profit, surley its only a limited market.. i personaly would have thought you would be pushed to sell 200 copies of a record..

Just out of intrest as anyone on here ever got a price for getting a 45 made 2 sides and 2 labels, whats the minimum run, how much profit is in it?

I'm not talking buying 45's from dealers selling boots/reissues i mean the peson that has done the running around in the begining.

Just wondering must be some thing in it as they keep poping up...

Social source share

Price list

7" & 12" Records

For fully flexible bespoke orders, construct your own estimate quote by selecting what you require from the individual item prices below:

Cutting to Lacquers from CD DAT Wavs file

7 inch 1 Track 1 Side A

7 inch 2 Tracks 2 sides A+B

12 inch 1 Track 1 side A

12 inch 2 Tracks 2 sides A+B £ 100.00

£ 160.00

£ 100.00

£ 180.00

Processing - Metal work - Stampers

7 inch & 12 inch 2 sides A+B

7 inch & 12 inch 1 side A £80.00

£120.00

Vinyl Pressing 12 inch

Set up minimum charge / repress under 300

Up to 300 records

1000 records - (under to 300)

1000 records + £30.00

65p per record

55p per record

50p per record

Vinyl Pressing 7 inch (including inner sleeve)

Set up minimum charge / repress under 300

Up to 500 records

1000 records + £30.00

38p per record

35p per record

Test Pressing

Minimum 10 records £ 1.00 each

Labels

White Label -1000 pairs £30.00

Printed Labels from artwork supplied

1 colour - 1000 pairs

2 colours - 1000 pairs

3 colours - 1000 pairs

4 colours - 1000 pairs

From Disc/CD or email supplied £80.00

£100.00

£150.00

£175.00

Sleeves - Inner Bags

White paper 7 inch

White paper 12 inch

White / Black Disco 12 inch

White / Black Spine 12 inch 4p each

5p each

14p each

16p each

Delivery

To 1 London postal address

£30.00

www.quickpress.co.uk/

https://www.quickpress.co.uk/

https://www.quickpress.co.uk/vinyl-record-p...price-list.html

Edited by ken
Social source share

how many would you need to make and sell to make a profit, surley its only a limited market.. i personaly would have thought you would be pushed to sell 200 copies of a record..

Just out of intrest as anyone on here ever got a price for getting a 45 made 2 sides and 2 labels, whats the minimum run, how much profit is in it?

There are some very cheap presing plants out there. I've pressed some 7"s in the past (the original music of the band I was in at the time, NOT BOOTLEGS!) and pressing 200 or 300 usually costs about £1.75 per copy (including postage, labels, paper sleeves and everything). So that's about £525 to press 300 copies (minimum order is ususally 100 copies). You then manage to sell 200 of them for £10 each, that's £2000 and a profit of about £1500, if you sell all 300 copies you make a profit of £2500. And these people don't just press up ONE title, they probably have 50 different titles "running" at the same time. That's a profit of 50 x £2500 (£125000) if you sell 300 copies of all the titles.

Social source share

Guest Paul

It is odd (and sad) that many great soul records receive no bids at all while some dreadful looking pirate and counterfeit records seem to get quite a few bids.

Some people must have a sexual fettish for cheap pressings and badly designed labels with spelling mistakes.

Whatever turns you on.

:boxing:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

There are some very cheap presing plants out there. I've pressed some 7"s in the past (the original music of the band I was in at the time, NOT BOOTLEGS!) and pressing 200 or 300 usually costs about £1.75 per copy (including postage, labels, paper sleeves and everything). So that's about £525 to press 300 copies (minimum order is ususally 100 copies). You then manage to sell 200 of them for £10 each, that's £2000 and a profit of about £1500, if you sell all 300 copies you make a profit of £2500. And these people don't just press up ONE title, they probably have 50 different titles "running" at the same time. That's a profit of 50 x £2500 (£125000) if you sell 300 copies of all the titles.

Bloody Hell :boxing:

right need to sort out a couple of MP3's :unsure:

Social source share

It is odd (and sad) that many great soul records receive no bids at all while some dreadful looking pirate and counterfeit records seem to get quite a few bids.

Some people must have a sexual fettish for cheap pressings and badly designed labels with spelling mistakes.

Whatever turns you on.

:rolleyes:

Paul Mooney

This is the one thing that annoys me the most, people are willing to spend £10-£20+ on a rubbish bootleg but quality (if not big name records) will go through for as little as £3. frusty2.gif

Social source share

Guest Mart B

This is the one thing that annoys me the most, people are willing to spend £10-£20+ on a rubbish bootleg but quality (if not big name records) will go through for as little as £3. :rolleyes:

Same old story 45er

Alot of the soul crowd at the moment are returnees from the last ten years so they are not bothered wether its on a piece of toast along as they have that sound their after yes.gif .....like the bootleggers of the 70ts hey day "dare not mention any names"! I fell for it!.But like always the Original Vinyl will come through.

Social source share

Up to 500 records

38p per record

and they sell for what, 5 to 10 quid each???

Add £50 for labels or a bit more if you like more than one colour,and £100 for the master,cant be bothered working it out,but not a great deal more,Pete!!

Edited by ken
Social source share

Add £50 for labels or a bit more if you like more than one colour,and £100 for the master,cant be bothered working it out,but not a great deal more,Pete!!

No I'd already worked that stuff out but once tats paid - £300 or so - your singles cost like 40p and the profit is humongous.

Right, what shall we press first??

Social source share

Guest Paul

Up to 500 records

38p per record

and they sell for what, 5 to 10 quid each???

Hello Pete,

To press 500 records you first need to spend AT LEAST £250.00 for cutting and plating, a £30.00 set-up charge, £150.00 or more for very basic printed labels and THEN it would cost 38p for each copy pressed, plus 5p for each white sleeve, plus delivery (£30.00 or more) and VAT at 17.5%.

That all comes to £793.12 (which equates to £1.59 per copy) and it's worth noting that the prices quoted are basic and they don't include any costs for audio restoration, pre-mastering, label design, test pressings etc. I would add another 35p per unit to cover those costs, giving you a minimum unit cost of £1.94 per copy.

And if you want a superior product it's extra money for superior mastering and disc cutting and more colourful labels.

Finally, please don't forget that you would have had to pay to obtain master licenses (an advance payment and / or typical royalties of around 20% of the dealer price) and you'd also be obliged to pay additional statutory mechanical royalties to MCPS at 8.5% of the dealer price (plus VAT). That lot should cost a further £712.50 (equal to £1.42 per copy) making your total unit cost around £3.36

Thta's an investment of £1,680.00 BEFORE you even start to think about mailers, postage, advertising etc...

So you'd need to sell at least 336 copies at a dealer price of £5.00 just to break even.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

No I'd already worked that stuff out but once tats paid - £300 or so - your singles cost like 40p and the profit is humongous.

Right, what shall we press first??

Ive got "people thats why"un released Billy Vera version he wrote,fukc it start off with "sugar aint sweet",bakced with "do i love you"F Wilson........just incase.

Social source share

Guest Paul

Ive got "people thats why"un released Billy Vera version he wrote,fukc it start off with "sugar aint sweet",bakced with "do i love you"F Wilson........just incase.

I'll be happy to master the A-side at the wrong speed and make the label films with lots of speling misstakes.

Paul Mooney

Made in Graet Britenn

Social source share

Hello Pete,

To press 500 records you first need to spend AT LEAST £250.00 for cutting and plating, a £30.00 set-up charge, £150.00 or more for very basic printed labels and THEN it would cost 38p for each copy pressed, plus 5p for each white sleeve, plus delivery (£30.00 or more) and VAT at 17.5%.

That all comes to £793.12 (which equates to £1.59 per copy) and it's worth noting that the prices quoted are basic and they don't include any costs for audio restoration, pre-mastering, label design, test pressings etc. I would add another 35p per unit to cover those costs, giving you a minimum unit cost of £1.94 per copy.

And if you want a superior product it's extra money for superior mastering and disc cutting and more colourful labels.

Finally, please don't forget that you would have had to pay to obtain master licenses (an advance payment and / or typical royalties of around 20% of the dealer price) and you'd also be obliged to pay additional statutory mechanical royalties to MCPS at 8.5% of the dealer price (plus VAT). That lot should cost a further £712.50 (equal to £1.42 per copy) making your total unit cost around £3.36

Thta's an investment of £1,680.00 BEFORE you even start to think about mailers, postage, advertising etc...

So you'd need to sell at least 336 copies at a dealer price of £5.00 just to break even.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Design your own label,or just copy the oiginal :rolleyes: do your own pre-mastering....fukc royalties.

Social source share

I'll be happy to master the A-side at the wrong speed and make the label films with lots of speling misstakes.

Paul Mooney

Made in Graet Britenn

Thats nice!! :rolleyes: spellin` mistakes where?,they`re only mistakes if i didnt mean to spell the way i do.

Social source share

Hello Pete,

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

thats the reality of pressing records..sure someone makes a small amount of profit pete....but as paul clearly states its quite a lot of money to shell out..its not exactly 1978 now...soulfox soul galore etc they sold many thousands..i reckon a boot would sell between 200-300 max in todays market

happy to stand corrected by any bootlegger though :rolleyes: there are a few on here i am sure

Edited by souljazera
Social source share

Hello Pete,

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Not quite true Paul, as I would be doing a bootleg I wouldn't be paying for any remastering, they would be on white labels, and I wouldn't be paying any royalties so that would knock the costs down a bit, and then I'd charge the mugs £10 a time.

Social source share

thats the reality of pressing records..sure someone makes a small amount of profit pete....but as paul clearly states its quite a lot of money to shell out..its not exactly 1978 now...soulfox soul galore etc they sold many thousands..i reckon a boot would sell between 200-300 max in todays market

happy to stand corrected by any bootlegger though :rolleyes: there are a few on here i am sure

That can't be why they are doing new titles every 3 months, because it's so hard to sell them? You are way out on your figures. Titles from that batch that included Terry Callier, Bill Harris, Soul Bros 6, there was a thousand of each of those pressed, granted you still see them around and I've still got some left but they must have sold a good 600 of each title. The Motown things, baby A GoGo, Gladys Knight, 400 of each pressed, every one sold..

Social source share

Really?? Never knew there was another version (except pj proby)...whats it like?

Did anyone ever have that male version of Now You Got The Upper Hand?

Its ok Pete,but there is another 54 trakcs a couple are awesome..all unissued,but i will have to keep to myself(cant post up),but will be having a couple of carvers done for meself. :rolleyes:

Social source share

That can't be why they are doing new titles every 3 months, because it's so hard to sell them? You are way out on your figures. Titles from that batch that included Terry Callier, Bill Harris, Soul Bros 6, there was a thousand of each of those pressed, granted you still see them around and I've still got some left but they must have sold a good 600 of each title. The Motown things, baby A GoGo, Gladys Knight, 400 of each pressed, every one sold..

i stand corrected then!!

Social source share

Guest Paul

Not quite true Paul, as I would be doing a bootleg I wouldn't be paying for any remastering, they would be on white labels, and I wouldn't be paying any royalties so that would knock the costs down a bit, and then I'd charge the mugs £10 a time.

Hello Pete,

Pretty soon you'll be driving a gangster car with personal plates.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert