12" Singles 1975/1976

Ric-tic

bit of a quiz really name records that were played on the northern scene that got a 12" release,im obviously talking mecca /ritz/cleethorpes tracks, im really meaning the rare stuff from the early days of 12" 1975-1976 and most of these 'wouldnt' have been played on the scene because at the time they wernt really known about till later, as they were rare promo only copies.

some of you may run from this and some may cry :) but some may be surprised :D

ill start with MARBOO-WHAT ABOUT LOVE-MIDLAND INTERNATIONAL 1975 PROMO ONLY[nice long mix too :D ] must have been one of the very first.......

Social source share

• Replies 73
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've got some:

Running Away From Love-Skip Mahoney & the Casuals-Abet

Also, I don't know if these have just become more popular in recent years or if they were played back then...

My Baby's Got E.S.P.-Four Below Zero-P&P/Roulette

Let Me Down Easy-Rare Pleasure-Cheri

Crying-Instant Funk

There also exists a Disco International 12" for Spanish Maiden by Tony Middleton.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

bit of a quiz really name records that were played on the northern scene that got a 12" release,im obviously talking mecca /ritz/cleethorpes tracks, im really meaning the rare stuff from the early days of 12" 1975-1976 and most of these 'wouldnt' have been played on the scene because at the time they wernt really known about till later, as they were rare promo only copies.

Obvious one is Barbara Pennington ""24 hours a day"

bit of a tailor made but how many questioned it at the time ?

Social source share

Obvious one is Barbara Pennington ""24 hours a day"

bit of a tailor made but how many questioned it at the time ?

link

yes that was a u.k promo only then issued only in the u.s at the same time levine released as a u.k promo only [and never came out anywhere else] was james wells-baby im still the same man polydor that ran more than 7 minutes,these two were gigantic at the ritz,strangely as many times as these tracks have been 'thrown' onto c.d

theyve never appeared in their full versions anywhere.

and another is BODY SHOP-CLIFFORD CURRY-BUDDAH PROMO-but clifford wasnt credited on the label it just said body shop...

Social source share

D.C. Larue-Cathederals

Whirlwind-Full Time thing(didnt this have Four below Zero on the flip of the Promo 12"?)

Silvetti-Spring Rain

Not sure whether Jobel Orchestra was on 12" promo when first played in 76 ?

Social source share

yes that was a u.k promo only then issued only in the u.s  at the same time levine released as a u.k promo only [and never came out anywhere else] was james wells-baby im still the same man polydor that ran more than 7 minutes,these two were gigantic at the ritz,strangely as many times as these tracks have been 'thrown' onto c.d

theyve never appeared in their full versions anywhere.

and another is BODY SHOP-CLIFFORD CURRY-BUDDAH PROMO-but clifford wasnt credited on the label it just said body shop...

link

Clifford Curry,bloody Hell,I'd forgotten all about that one.

Social source share

Remember Janice being played on a 12 at Clifton Hall - seemed to go on forever. Also the Ray Daroughe thing being spun on a 12 at the Clee Winter Gardens - downstairs as well.

Remember Sam touting a Chairmen of the Board cover by Angela Clemmons on a 12 somewhere in the early 80s.

I imagine theres a few knocking about - especially from those days at Rotherham when 12's became almost de rigeur in some quarters - Keni Burke, Glenn Jones, etc

Social source share

Like Her... Gentleman & Their Lady?

Not sure if this weas played, as I was too young to attend  :shades:   Altho I'm sure people say this was played...

link

Definately played..........lots :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

One of my faves from the Ritz days was

The Originals "Down to love town"

and later from Cleethorpes

Love Committee "Cheaters never win"

both always sounded so much better on 12"

:wicked:

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that Four Below Zero and Gentlemen & Her Lady are the two that are back to back on the 12". I think Whirlwind and Poison are back to back on another one. I would dig them out and look, but my 12" box with the Roulette labels is buried and in a dark room where my girlfriend is sleeping, :wicked:

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Ones I can distinctly remember being played at Wigan were

Miroslav Vitous - new york city

Salsoul Orchestra - Salsoul 2001 (reckoned to be the first 12 ever played there)

Anthony White - Block party

CAR WASH!!!

several things were played off longer, extended LP tracks, things like Game Players.

Social source share

Too young to know whether these 12" were played in 76/77, but I reckon a few of these might of (without checking release dates of actual tracks!)

Lenny Williams - Choosing You - CBS

Sissy Houston - Think It Over - Private Stock

Eddie Holman - This Will Be A Night...... - Salsoul

Flaming Emeralds - Have Some Everybody - FEE

Herbie Hancock - I Thought It Was You - CBS???

Idris Muhammad - Could Heaven Ever Be Like This - Kudu??

I think you could say everything on the salsoul label - Loleatta Holloway, Instantfunk, First Choice, Silvetti etc..... was played at some time on 12"

Jamie

Social source share

Too young to know whether these 12" were played in 76/77, but I reckon a few of these might of (without checking release dates of actual tracks!)

I think you could say everything on the salsoul label - Loleatta Holloway, Instantfunk, First Choice, Silvetti etc..... was played at some time on 12"

Jamie

link

Searling used to play an extended version of Eddie Holman pre release but I'm sure it was off a 10" acetate..I never saw a 12". Flaming Emeralds was 7" only. I remember hearing the Idris Muhammad record but it wasn't at Wigan.

Social source share

Searling used to play an extended version of Eddie Holman pre release but I'm sure it was off a 10" acetate..I never saw a 12".  Flaming Emeralds was 7" only.  I remember hearing the Idris Muhammad record but it wasn't at Wigan.

link

I thought that the Flaming Emeralds was 7" only, but heard a version played at Cleethorpes that had a longer intro, and an extended 'instrumental' section in the middle - I just assumed - wrongly! - that it must have been the 12".

Idris Muhammad was played at the Mecca, My Papa informs me.

You might be able to help me on this on Pete, I first had a 12" of Silvetti on 'Ramshorn' label before Salsoul. This actually got melted when left in a mates car parcel shelf!, but what was the story behind that label? Was it just a European label for re-issues??

Cheers,

Jamie

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Idris Muhammad was played at the Mecca, My Papa informs me.

You might be able to help me on this on Pete, I first had a 12" of Silvetti on 'Ramshorn' label before Salsoul. This actually got melted when left in a mates car parcel shelf!, but what was the story behind that label? Was it just a European label for re-issues??

Cheers,

Jamie

link

Social source share

Salsoul Orchestra - Salsoul 2001 (reckoned to be the first 12 ever played there)

CAR WASH!!!

several things were played off longer, extended LP tracks, things like Game Players.

link

Miroslav Vituous was only lp track for the long version and was a 7" for the short version& its pretty rare!

How about Cleveland eaton- Quasar one 12" Acetate-Promo only

Social source share

Some of the most popular 12's at The Ritz All-Dayers

This Will Be A Night To Remember/Time Will Tell - Eddie Holman (Salsoul)

Center City - Fat Larry's Band (WMOT)

You Know How To Love Me - Phyllis Hyman (Arista)

My Baby's Got ESP - Four Below Zero/Like Her - Gentlemen & Their Lady (Roulette)

Tried, Tested & Found True - Ashford & Simpson (Warner Brothers)

Sun Sun Sun - Jacki (Pyramid)

Cathedrals - DC Larue (Pyramid)

It's Ecstancy (When You Lie Down Next To Me) - Bary White (20th Century)

24 Hours A Day - Barbara Pennington (UA)

Breaking & Entering - Dee Dee Shrp Gamble (Philadelphia International)

Spread Love - Al Hudson (ABC)

Could Heaven Ever Be Like This - Idris Muhammad (Kudu)

---------

records which we would have liked on 12" extended mix but never came out on 12" include

Are You Ready For This - Brothers (RCA)

It Looks Like Love - Goody, Goody (Atlantic) (the no 1 Ritz floorfiller)

You're Something Kinda Mellow - Johnny Williams (Polydor)

Disco Connection - Isaac Hayes (ABC)

Troublemaker - Roberta Kelly (Casablanca)

-----------

and the USA promo only 12" which we all wanted but couldn't get a copy:

Always There - Willie Bobo (Columbia)

different to the seven inch and album mix and never , to this day, released on commercial 12".

Neil

Social source share

Miroslav Vituous was only lp track for the long version and was a 7" for the short version& its pretty rare!

How about Cleveland eaton- Quasar one 12" Acetate-Promo only

link

I thought that as well........Pete corrected me!

whistling.gif Delved deeper & apparantly it was on 12" promo but never released

Social source share

Actually Neil...

Goody Goody-It Looks Like Love DID come out on an Atlantic 12" single. I've got it on a yellow label in a dark blue Atlantic disco cover. Great tune, that one. The LP cover on that one is some serious eye candy, too.

Also, The Brothers is on a 5 track 12" EP that came with a plain jacket I believe.

Prices on the Ashford & Simpson, Idris Muhammad, and Willie Bobo are through the roof these days! $200 and above.

Jakki "Sun, Sun, Sun" was a massive spin at Paradise Garage apparently, and is sought after over here by fans of Larry Levan.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

-----------

different to the seven inch and album mix and never , to this day, released on commercial 12".

Neil

I've got a UK CBS 6 track promo 12" with the Willie Bobo on. It's a plain white label in a plain white card cover with the track listing (photocopy)pasted on. The other tracks are "extended" mixes too, but I can't remeber what they are - 'club clasics' like Dexter Wansell, Webster Lewis etc

Social source share

Jamie

link

This takes me back ,a quick pint or two in Paddys Goose at Chorlton Street Bus Station the n walk down to the ritz, a lot have already been mentioned so here goes......

Evyln Champagne King...Shame

Herp Alpert ...Rise played at 33rpm

Players Association ....disco inferno (tramps version)

Francine Magee...delerium (brill dancer)

Celi Bee And The Buzy bunch..One Love

ElCoCO cocomotion

CJ & CO The devils Gun.

Crown Heights Affair...Galaxy & Dance Dance.

Vivky Sue Robinson- Turn The Beat Around

7th Wonder.....Captain Of My Ship

Ralph MCDonald....The Path

Kool And The Gang....Open Sesame.

??????????????????........Jazz Freak (Artist name just escapes me)

Aquarian Dream.....You're a star.

Manu Dibango.......Big Blow

Mongo Santamaria.....Watermelon Man.

Still got them all on vinyl........the list could go on for ages.

Gentlemen and their lady..like her was excellent also.

Anything by Al Hudson....

After dancing to these you would need oxygen even then whistling.gif

Regards

Peter.

oops almost forgot...............Village People YMCA....dance anybody?? :thumbsup:

Edited by Peter
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Actually Neil...

Prices on the Ashford & Simpson, Idris Muhammad, and Willie Bobo are through the roof these days! $200 and above.

Jas

link

$200 for Idris Muhammad ???

Where can I sell one ?

post-1832-1106774332_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

This takes me back ,a quick pint or two in Paddys Goose at Chorlton Street Bus Station the n walk down to the ritz, a lot have already been mentioned so here goes......

Paulette Reaves whistling.gif

Social source share

Paulette Reaves.of course...I remember quite a few people used to dance together in a kind of jive type dance....similar to Bo & Ruth's Your Gonna Get Next To Me.

Also the dance floor in the Ritz was a lot bigger then and raised up of the floor with a wrought iron fence around it. There were 3 or 4 steps at certain points for you to walk up.

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that Four Below Zero and Gentlemen & Her Lady are the two that are back to back on the 12". I think Whirlwind and Poison are back to back on another one. I would dig them out and look, but my 12" box with the Roulette labels is buried and in a dark room where my girlfriend is sleeping, whistling.gif

KTF

Jas

link

jazzyjas the whirlwind stock copy was backed with TOUCH AND GO-ECSTACY PASSION AND PAIN

CAR WASH!!!

link

PETE surprisingly car was wasnt a 12" it was originally played off the album,there was a long u.s promo single though

Searling used to play an extended version of Eddie Holman pre release but I'm sure it was off a 10" acetate..I never saw a 12".  Flaming Emeralds was 7" only.  I remember hearing the Idris Muhammad record but it wasn't at Wigan.

link

PETE richard must have been using a u.k copy via r.c.a,eddie was released as a 12 in the u.s

Some of the most popular 12's at The Ritz All-Dayers

This Will Be A Night To Remember/Time Will Tell - Eddie Holman (Salsoul)

Center City - Fat Larry's Band (WMOT)

You Know How To Love Me - Phyllis Hyman (Arista)

My Baby's Got ESP - Four Below Zero/Like Her - Gentlemen & Their Lady (Roulette)

Tried, Tested & Found True - Ashford & Simpson (Warner Brothers)

Sun Sun Sun - Jacki (Pyramid)

Cathedrals - DC Larue (Pyramid)

It's Ecstancy (When You Lie Down Next To Me) - Bary White (20th Century)

24 Hours A Day - Barbara Pennington (UA)

Breaking & Entering - Dee Dee Shrp Gamble (Philadelphia International)

Spread Love - Al Hudson (ABC)

Could Heaven Ever Be Like This - Idris Muhammad (Kudu)

---------

records which we would have liked on 12" extended mix but never came out on 12" include

Are You Ready For This - Brothers (RCA)

It Looks Like Love - Goody, Goody (Atlantic) (the no 1 Ritz floorfiller)

You're Something Kinda Mellow - Johnny Williams (Polydor)

Disco Connection - Isaac Hayes (ABC)

Troublemaker - Roberta Kelly (Casablanca)

-----------

Neil

link

well the daddie of the ritz is here :D but neil youre forgetting the daddy 12" of the ritz THE MOMENTS-NINE TIMES/DO WHAT YOU FEEL THE RIMSHOTS-U.K PROMO ONLY ALL PLATINUM :P

and im sure dee dee sharpe wasnt twelve inched till 1980 it was first an album track

and a few more of those promo onlys we couldnt get [well till now :shades:

TAVARES HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL CAPITOL PROMO

SOUTH SHORE COMISSION TRAIN CALLED FREEDOM SCEPTER TEST PRESS

ESTHER PHILLIPS-WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES-SUNSHINE SOUND ACETATE

EMOTIONS-THE BEST OF MY LOVE COLUMBIA-PROMO

THE REFLECTIONS -GIFT WRAP MY LOVE-CAPITOL PROMO

THE PLAYERS [CAMEO]-FIND MY WAY-CHOCOLATE CITY 10" ACETATE

BOBBY MOORE-TRY TO HOLD ON SCEPTER TEST PRESS

LOUIE RAMIREZ-SALSA-COTIQUE[was released]

THE MIRACLES -LOVE MACHINE-TAMLA PROMO

HURT SO BAD-PHILLY DEVOTIONS-COLUMBIA PROMO

one more the holy grail of collecting 12"singles FREE MAN -SOUTH SHORE COMISSION SCEPTER TEST PRESS [have to get this before i die :thumbsup: ]

Social source share

Evyln Champagne King...Shame

Herp Alpert ...Rise played at 33rpm

Players Association ....disco inferno (tramps version)

Francine Magee...delerium (brill dancer)

Celi Bee And The Buzy bunch..One Love

ElCoCO cocomotion

CJ & CO The devils Gun.

Crown Heights Affair...Galaxy & Dance Dance.

Vivky Sue Robinson-  Turn The Beat Around

7th Wonder.....Captain Of My Ship

Ralph MCDonald....The Path

Kool And The Gang....Open Sesame.

Aquarian Dream.....You're a star.

Manu Dibango.......Big Blow

Mongo Santamaria.....Watermelon Man.

Still got them all on vinyl........the list could go on for ages.

Gentlemen and their lady..like her was excellent also.

Anything by Al Hudson....

After dancing to these you would need oxygen even then whistling.gif

Regards

Peter.

oops almost forgot...............Village People  YMCA....dance anybody?? :thumbsup:

link

"Celi Bee And The Buzy bunch..One Love"

thmbdn.gif

Don't remember this ,except from the local disco :shades: ........ :P

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that Four Below Zero and Gentlemen & Her Lady are the two that are back to back on the 12". I think Whirlwind and Poison are back to back on another one. I would dig them out and look, but my 12" box with the Roulette labels is buried and in a dark room where my girlfriend is sleeping, whistling.gif

KTF

Jas

link

Well bloody well wake her,can't she see this is important!!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

QUOTE(jazzyjas @ Jan 26 2005, 03:49 AM)

I'm pretty sure that Four Below Zero and Gentlemen & Her Lady are the two that are back to back on the 12". I think Whirlwind and Poison are back to back on another one. I would dig them out and look, but my 12" box with the Roulette labels is buried and in a dark room where my girlfriend is sleeping,

KTF

Jas

jazzyjas the whirlwind stock copy was backed with TOUCH AND GO-ECSTACY PASSION AND PAIN

Don't wake her Jas,I said don't.......... whistling.gif

Social source share

Miroslav Vituous is on a W.B. 12" - UK only I think.

Ramshorn wasn't so much a reissue label as a European issue label and a lot of the releases are remixes. Most are in a sleeve with a label listing on the back.

Social source share

Cleethorpes did play 12" at the winter garden nighters, many already mentioned (Cathedrals was massive). At the later all dayers there was a seperate room for the Jazz Funk that played the brand new releases like Karen Young - Hot Shot, Sun - Sun is here. Freaky people in Mohair jumpers and tight keks. Made to measures died, along with an Era.

One of the biggest but not mentioned was Peter Brown - Do you wanna get funky with me, and a little later the incredible I got it - New York Port Authority (Not remotely Northern Soul, however open minded you are).

Ed

Social source share

Cleethorpes did play 12" at the winter garden nighters, many already mentioned (Cathedrals was massive). At the later all dayers there was a seperate room for the Jazz Funk that played the brand new releases like Karen Young - Hot Shot, Sun - Sun is here. Freaky people in Mohair jumpers and tight keks. Made to measures died, along with an Era.

One of the biggest but not mentioned was Peter Brown - Do you wanna get funky with me, and a little later the incredible I got it - New York Port Authority (Not remotely Northern Soul, however open minded you are).

Ed

link

New York port authority - I got it - was massive at the Mecca

Also Cloud One- Atmosphere strut P&P and that goes for £100

Social source share

I think that sometimes the Ritz alldayers used to try to push things even further than the Mecca. Off the top of my head I remember these all getting played - probably not all on 12" though:

Weather Report - River People

Donna Summer - I feel Love

Village People - San Francisco (You Got Me )

Earth Wind and Fire - Biyo

Eddie Henderson - Say You Will

Parliament - Give Up The Funk (Tear the Roof of the Sucker)

Lalo Schiffrin - Jaws

and summatt by Love and Kisses ...I think...

Godz

ps - Wendy - I'll PM you later this afternoon

Godz

Social source share

Can't believe no ones mentioned:

The Undisputed Truth - You+Me=Love - Whitfield

Surely this got Mecca spins?

WOOF!

link

I should cocoa. It was huge! But more importantly, wasn't this the FIRST commercially available 12" to be sold in UK shops?

Two other things to spark off memories...

Disco Discs

Captain at Bruces

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Has anyone mentioned - Bobby Franklin'- a ladies choice?

I seem to remember the letters pages in Blues and Soul, resembling t'internet websites when Joey Delorenzo became 'popular'.

Social source share

I should cocoa. It was huge! But more importantly, wasn't this the FIRST commercially available 12" to be sold in UK shops?

Two other things to spark off memories...

Disco Discs

Captain at Bruces

link

My copy (£1.80 ten years ago from 'Sounds Familiar' in Walthamstow) has a photocopied review from NME pasted on it by the previous owner and dated from 0ctober 1976. The review is headed 'RECORD OF THE WEEK ALTHOUGH YOU CAN'T BUY IT IN IT'S ORIGINAL FORM!!!'

The review says ..."for public release "You + Me= Love" has been split over two sides of a 7-inch single".

Maybe the 12" was release a little after this? But then mines a US copy so was the UK 12" the first Jack?

Social source share

this could be argued by many, but id say undisputed truth and boney m daddy cool were released at exactly the same time,the u.k were really slow on the uptake well over a year behind america where they had become established and were selling in large numbers,i think the u.k companies got it wrong they believed stick any garbage out on twelve inch and it will sell cos the people are beggin for this stuff,they stuck out mixes that were too short or even the single versions,they totally missed the point.

Social source share

this could be argued by many, but id say undisputed truth and boney m daddy cool were released at exactly the same time,the u.k were really slow on the uptake well over a year behind america where they had become established and were selling in large numbers,i think the u.k companies got it wrong they believed stick any garbage out on twelve inch and it will sell cos the people are beggin for this stuff,they stuck out mixes that were too short or even the single versions,they totally missed the point.

link

So much so that the first UK 12" was by The Who...... was a reissue of "Substitute" if my memory isn't failing me.

WOOF!

Social source share

I think that sometimes the Ritz alldayers used to try to push things even further than the Mecca. Off the top of my head I remember these all getting played - probably not all on 12" though:

Weather Report - River People

Donna Summer - I feel Love

Village People - San Francisco (You Got Me )

Earth Wind and Fire - Biyo

Eddie Henderson - Say You Will

Parliament - Give Up The Funk (Tear the Roof of the Sucker)

Lalo Schiffrin - Jaws

and summatt by Love and Kisses ...I think...

Godz

ps - Wendy - I'll PM you later this afternoon

Godz

link

Biyo & Jaws definatly got spins at St St Ives as well,think Biyo was only on 7" though

Social source share

How about this for a (non Northern) Ritz All-Dayer Top 20 floorfillers 1975 to 1980

1 - IT LOOKS LIKE LOVE - GOODY GOODY

2 - TURN THE BEAT AROUND - VICKY SUE ROBINSON

3 - DISCO CONNECTION - ISAAC HAYES

4 - DREAMIN A DREAM - CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR

5 - FIRST ROUND KNOCKOUT - JOE FRAZIER

6 - NINE TIMES - THE MOMENTS

7 - 24 HOURS A DAY - BARBARA PENNINGTON

8 - MOVIN' - BRASS CONSTRUCTION

9 - CATHEDRALS - DC LARUE

10 - DREAMIN' A DREAM - CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR

11 - LET'S JAM JAM JAM - PEOPLE'S CHOICE

12 - SHAME - EVELYN CHAMPAGNE KING

13 - SHANTE - MASS PRODUCTION

14 - SIX MILLION STEPS - RHANI HARRIS

15 - KILLER JOE - BENNY GOLSON

16 - THIS WILL BE A NIGHT TO REMEMBER - EDDIE HOLMAN

17 - HI TENSION - HI TENSION

18 - COULD HEAVEN EVER BE LIKE THIS - IDRIS MUHAMMAD

19 - CENTER CITY - FAT LARRY'S BAND

20 - YOU'RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME - BO AND RUTH

2005 IS THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE START OF THE RITZ ALL-DAYERS AND HEART OF ENGLAND SOUL CLUB..MAYBE WE SHOULD DO AN ANNIVERSARY EVENT?

Neil Rushton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!