Unknown Club Mid 80s? Name The Faces

Found these 3 photos last week undated and with no details on the back. A sure sign I didn't take them...From the people gathered in the photos a quiet voice in my mind says mid 80s all-dayer possibly Derby area?

post-1224-1180217705_thumb.jpg

Some well known faces indeed from L-R: Pete Lawson reading paper, Gilly holding record, George Ramonis stood up smoking on right, Gis from Preston 2nd from right. I recognise most of the others but their names have gone.

post-1224-1180218103_thumb.jpg

a very youthfull Mister Anderson.

post-1224-1180220019_thumb.jpg

Tomo in hand knitted jumper. Note: moustaches were still compulsory on lads during this period.

2 questions?

Young men with no shirts on - when did that start?

When was facial hair for men outlawed? Where did all the moustaches go?

onwards,

derek

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm sure these used to be on the site that Guy had? :thumbsup: If thye were there would have been details????

=========

the lad in the back with no shirt on is mark green from nuneaton....aka greeny

im sure the guy sitting down to his right is gary from stafford area,,,a TOTW regular...

Social source share

Is that Chris Ashby from Bedford in the last piccie in the denim shirt next to Thomo?

It is Mandy and the tall guy next to him is Curly, from Sunderland I think..... but definately not from Newcastle, I once mentioned his geordie accent....didn't half give me a telling off :unsure:

Social source share

Found these 3 photos last week undated and with no details on the back. A sure sign I didn't take them...From the people gathered in the photos a quiet voice in my mind says mid 80s all-dayer possibly Derby area?

Some well known faces indeed from L-R: Pete Lawson reading paper, Gilly holding record, George Ramonis stood up smoking on right, Gis from Preston 2nd from right. I recognise most of the others but their names have gone.

post-1224-1180218103_thumb.jpg

a very youthfull Mister Anderson.

post-1224-1180220019_thumb.jpg

Tomo in hand knitted jumper. Note: moustaches were still compulsory on lads during this period.

2 questions?

Young men with no shirts on - when did that start?

When was facial hair for men outlawed? Where did all the moustaches go?

Derek

It was decided for me that mine should be removed in the summer of 1992 .....

I have often contemplated growing it back , and complimenting it with a beard , but the trouble is that there is so much grey now , I would be doing an " Uncle Albert " ......

It was good to see the photograph with George in it ......

George was a regular at mine and Bill Payne's sunday night sessions at The Windmill in Rotherham , in the late 70s / early 80s , when he used to accompany Rob Smith .....

Is George still around ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Is that Chris Ashby from Bedford in the last piccie in the denim shirt next to Thomo?

A bit younger, but it's him! You can tell by the smile. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Yes its Chris, also next to Nick Birch from Nottingham

Social source share

Guest Byrney

That's Daz from Liecester on the Left. Is that Colin Law in the grey Tshirt?

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

It is Mandy and the tall guy next to him is Curly, from Sunderland I think..... but definately not from Newcastle, I once mentioned his geordie accent....didn't half give me a telling off :unsure:

Good god..... whatever happened to Curly ???????????????????

use to have quite a few laughs round at mine with him....... one of the scenes unique soulies

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Nick with the blue t-shirt andf pint pot Byrney? I thought it was him?

That's the Lad Chalky.

Not seen him in years, last time around 89 / 90 at the Placemate / Wheel nighter. Heared he's doing well and landed himself a masters degree :unsure:

Social source share

That's the Lad Chalky.

Not seen him in years, last time around 89 / 90 at the Placemate / Wheel nighter. Heared he's doing well and landed himself a masters degree :unsure:

That would be about the last time I saw him. Masters degree, nice one Nick :lol:

Social source share

That's the Lad Chalky.

Not seen him in years, last time around 89 / 90 at the Placemate / Wheel nighter. Heared he's doing well and landed himself a masters degree :thumbsup:

Bloody hell... i remember the time he was too paranoid to come down out of Sue's attic... was supposed to have gone out... talk about mental days! :shades:

Social source share

Bloody hell... i remember the time he was too paranoid to come down out of Sue's attic... was supposed to have gone out... talk about mental days! :thumbsup:

I think the last time I saw Nick properly was when he had to leave Higham after being beaten up by his Asian girlfriends family. What a great lad!

Is that Phil Worell ...up the corner?

Social source share

use to have quite a few laughs round at mine with him....... one of the scenes unique soulies

Curly,last seen getting a train at waterloo :thumbsup:

Social source share

The bloke at the back in the first photo and later with Dean is "Dim" Dave Lawton from Hednesford next to him is Gary Colbourne from Cannock two top blokes :thumbsup: behind Pete(stripey shirt)could be Karl Hardeman from Gloucester? if so the one that might be Colin Law? is in fact Rich Gough from Gloucester and i would think it is the working mans club in Stoke(upstairs) where Butch made his d´j­ng debut

Steve

[/top bloke dim :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart Raith

Eh, nobody has noticed Stan and Gis from Preston tucked in the right hand corner of the first pic. Where :wicked: was Gaz probably on the ceiling!!!!!!!!

Happy days :P

Social source share

The bloke at the back in the first photo and later with Dean is "Dim" Dave Lawton, "His Imperial Dimness" if you don't mind, from Hednesford next to him is Gary Colbourne from Cannock two top blokes :P behind Pete(stripey shirt)could be Karl Hardeman from Gloucester? if so the one that might be Colin Law? is in fact Rich Gough from Gloucester and i would think it is the working mans club in Stoke(upstairs) where Butch made his d´j­ng debut

Steve

Hi Steve

Mark Chackett, saw Dim a few weeks ago in Cannock, married, 2 kids and still not working :wicked:

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Bloody hell... i remember the time he was too paranoid to come down out of Sue's attic... was supposed to have gone out... talk about mental days! :wicked:

Joan, I'll mention this thread to Sue (now in Oz with Mol and family). They'll love the photos and the memories.

Is that Stewart from Leicester (Tomo/Oz etc compatriot) between Chris and Nick?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

That's Daz from Liecester on the Left. Is that Colin Law in the grey Tshirt?

(fat) Daz Morris? I reckon you're right.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Byrney

Just heard from Sue and Moll in Melbourne. They say it's definately Moll in the grey shirt next to Gilly. Also. I was speaking to Hayley at Burton last week and she reckons this could be taken at Loughborough Town Hall?

Hope Sue and Mol are good mate. Would you PM me their number / email?

Ta

B

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Although i can see the resemblance, i don't think that is Curly in the last picture.

Regarding what happened to him, i haven't seen him in a few years, but he's alive and well and living in Stockton-On-Tees. My brother works close to his works and bumps into him now and then. Last time we spoke he showed some interest in going to a nighter but nothing came of it. He hasn't been on the scene since the mid 90s. Had his fair share of ups and downs but it's good to see him doing ok. If i see him i'll point him in the direction of this site, he seemed to know everyone on the scene at some point. Him and Cruisey were a good double act.

Shute, your right. He certainly was unique. :laugh:

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest stu kent

Joan, I'll mention this thread to Sue (now in Oz with Mol and family). They'll love the photos and the memories.

Is that Stewart from Leicester (Tomo/Oz etc compatriot) between Chris and Nick?

I am Stuart and it is me in all 3 photos (denim jacket-no shirt and sporting the compulsory moustache !!) I think it was in a club in the middle of Derby about 1986 time others in the shots are Thommo-Fat Daz-Greeny-Din Dave-Chris Ashby-Gilly-Pete Lawson-Nick Birch and others. I left the scene many years ago and lost contact with everybody so if you remember me (wigan-peterborough-staffs-leicester-notts) get in contact it would be great to hear from you !

Social source share

I am Stuart and it is me in all 3 photos (denim jacket-no shirt and sporting the compulsory moustache !!) I think it was in a club in the middle of Derby about 1986 time others in the shots are Thommo-Fat Daz-Greeny-Din Dave-Chris Ashby-Gilly-Pete Lawson-Nick Birch and others. I left the scene many years ago and lost contact with everybody so if you remember me (wigan-peterborough-staffs-leicester-notts) get in contact it would be great to hear from you !

You are Stuart...and I claim my £10!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert