Price Guide Data? Advice Please

Hi chaps,

I'm a new member and am delighted to have found such a thriving community!

I've got thousands of Modern and Northern discs which I love dearly and they have formed the soundtrack of my life ... however, my growing family [and conseqeuntial very disturbing overheads] dictates that some serious sales activity must commence. I was sort of happy and sad [but very surprised] to see my Goldmine 'Ultimate Girl Groups' CD go for £90 on EBay last week. I've posted a few more on EBay tonight:

* Tobi Legend, Dean Parrish and Jimmy Radcliffe [the 3 before 8 7"] [RKO]

* Magic Night - If you and I had never met [uS Roulette Demo Mono/Stereo]

* Gloria Scott and the Tonettes - I told him [i+II] [W Bros]

'Virgil Henry - You aint sayin nothing new / I can't believe you're really leaving [Tamla]' will be going on EBay soon, along with my Lou Courtney Epic LP, but don't know what reserve / ending price to expect, even for widely known gems like them. As you have no doubt already deduced, I'll be putting a mixed bag in terms of scarcity up but I'll not really have a clue what to expect, an uncertainty that I'd rather avoid if possible. I can hardly put reserves on items without knowing what the current market trends are.

So, not having a clue about current value, is there any readily available reference guide [web-based?] that you guys could refer me to please?

If you'd prefer, please feel free to send me an e-mail or a PM if that is possible on this forum.

Thanks

8¬]

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

'82 views' and no reply whistling.gif

I guess that's a "No!" then?

Consequently, I better keep an eye on Ebay and Rare Soul Man sites and try to 'get a grip,' on my own that way... anyway, thanks to those of you who took the time to read my query.

I spent around two hours reading through various posts on this board last night. Some of you [you know who you are!] are, without a doubt, absolute geniuses of The Music. It was a fascinating couple of hours - henceforth 'Soul Source' will be essential reading!

Edited by SoulRecords.co.uk
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I don't know what to call you but i shall for ease just call you mate whistling.gif

There are no all emcompassing web based price guides if you want to stump up the cash there are a couple of books that you could buy. One from John Manship the other from Tim Brown neither are massively accurate and i think i'm right in saying that neither take into account UK releases but they are both useful as guides, THEY ARE NOT HOWEVER THE GOSPELL so don't be surprised if items sell for less or even more that the price listed in the guides.

EBay seems a little hit and miss at the moment depending on whether you are buying or selling. Seems to me at least to be a buyers market out there at the moment.

John

Social source share

I don't know what to call you but i shall for ease just call you mate whistling.gif

There are no all emcompassing web based price guides if you want to stump up the cash there are a couple of books that you could buy. One from John Manship the other from Tim Brown neither are massively accurate and i think i'm right in saying that neither take into account UK releases but they are both useful as guides, THEY ARE NOT HOWEVER THE GOSPELL so don't be surprised if items sell for less or even more that the price listed in the guides.

EBay seems a little hit and miss at the moment depending on whether you are buying or selling. Seems to me at least to be a buyers market out there at the moment.

John

link

Thanks for the reply John. I read a few of your posts last night - you're very welcome to call me 'mate'! [the name's 'Will' btw].

Your post was very informative, thanks a lot John. I may well buy the Manship [Rare Soul Man] and Brown [Goldmine?] books, I need some reference material and these sound like the best that I can hope for...

Social source share

Will, no offence like but if you've got all these records, surely you must have 'some' idea of their value if you actually bought them in the first place. Why anyone would pay £90 for a Goldmine cd is beyond me by the way. Your RK single is worth about £2, Magic Night £10 tops, never heard of the Gloria Scott record.

Best way to price records is to get other peoples lists and see whats occuring there. Tim Brown's price guide is very good though.

Social source share

Will, no offence like but if you've got all these records, surely you must have 'some' idea of their value if you actually bought them in the first place.  Why anyone would pay £90 for a Goldmine cd is beyond me by the way.  Your RK single is worth about £2, Magic Night £10 tops, never heard of the Gloria Scott record.

Best way to price records is to get other peoples lists and see whats occuring there.  Tim Brown's price guide is very good though.

link

Point taken but many of the prices I paid were 'direct North American rates' [often peanuts] and were acquired at before '93 - a lot of water under the bridge since then! My view of this Music is that if you fall out of the loop [as I have done for 11-12 years] you have to 'start again.' A routine of scanning other lists is a very good idea. The Girl Groups CD looks to have been deleted [demand supply etc]. Your view of value for the 45s is very welcome and appreciated. Reassuringly, your £ views are more or less what I thought [but obviously did not know]***, which bodes well for me. The Gloria Scott is a mystery to me too ...

Thanks.

-----------------------------------

Edit: ***There's me feeling secure that I do have some idea after all and then I go and get a seemingly expert opinion [via a PM] of the Virgil Henry track value, that was some 4 to 7 times more than I would have concluded in my wildest dreams! I do have some catching up to do...

Social source share

know]***, The Gloria Scott is a mystery to me too ...

Thanks.

[color=blue

The Gloria Scott is a very nice uptempo R&B driven female dancer. I played that ten years ago with some success. Semiknown and quite rare as you do not see it often...play it to someone with taste and let him offer you a good price. Don`t let it go for under 50 UKP.

Marc

Social source share

Edit: ***There's me feeling secure that I do have some idea after all and then I go and get a seemingly expert opinion [via a PM] of the Virgil Henry track value, that was some 4 to 7 times more than I would have concluded in my wildest dreams! I do have some catching up to do...

link

Interesting! Trouble is, most people know that the Virgil Henry has been found in substantial quantity - off the top of my head I'd have said about £175-£200 now

Social source share

Surely £150 tops on Tamla and £200 on Colossus or am i missing something......

link

I agree with both prices, maybe bit more but I'm certain one went for silly money recently in auction ranting_1.gif Not seen the latest e-bay listing yet Marc mentions wacko.gif

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Chortle.... chortle.... cough.... cough.... :yes:

People will never learn.... will they.... :fool: :yes: ....

And they they say "education" is a wonderful thing wink.gif .... the two "guides" that people "follow" must be the "lowest expected price to pay" in their "reading of them" :shhh: ....

Definately a "sellers" market at the moment :yes: ....

Ah well.... it'll quieten down.... but then again.... we've said that for the last few years :yes:smile.gif ....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!