Gwen Owens

Guest Trevski

Guest Trevski

Hi Guys and Gals

According to Manships bootleg guide- Gwen Owens-Just say your wanted- Velgo

Quote "Bootlegs STYRENE with stick-on label, original is VINYL with moulded label'

I've just got a M- Vinyl copy, but I'm still a bit sceptical, or cant believe my luck! anyone out there know of any vinyl boots? whistling.gif

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Guys and Gals

According to Manships bootleg guide- Gwen Owens-Just say your wanted- Velgo

Quote "Bootlegs STYRENE with stick-on label, original is VINYL with moulded label'

I've just got a M- Vinyl copy, but I'm still a bit sceptical, or cant believe my luck! anyone out there know of any vinyl boots? whistling.gif

link

Apparently Trevor all original copies (not many) have some sort of skip or jump which was done in production.I bought a copy of this off a flea market around 10 years ago for 20p and listened to it many times and convinced myself it had the fault which it didnt really have.

As for vinyl boots cant help on that one.

Craig.

Social source share

Apparently Trevor all original copies (not many) have some sort  of skip or jump which was done in production.I bought a copy of this off a flea market around 10 years ago for 20p and listened to it many times and convinced myself it had the fault which it didnt really have.

As for vinyl boots cant help on that one.

Craig.

link

Not all original copies jump.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I thought there were only 3 or 4 originals. I asked Gwen if she had saved any in March last year and the answer was no. She was also pissed off as she said she could do with the money.

Top sound with a great story too.

Ed

link

But didn`t she sell about max 10 copies while her last stay in GB ?!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Dunno about the jump, as the copy is on its way here, so I haven't played it yet! The guy says he has had it for the last 23 years or so, and it has a pressing fault, so I presume he means a jump! I can't remember seeing any vinyl boots, only styrene, altho' wendy says she has a vinyl boot.

i have a vinyl boot of that tune too

link

Anyone else remember these? whistling.gif

Social source share

I thought there were only 3 or 4 originals. I asked Gwen if she had saved any in March last year and the answer was no. She was also pissed off as she said she could do with the money.

Top sound with a great story too.

Ed

link

She lied, she sold her copies to Rob Thomas!

Social source share

Dunno about the jump, as the copy is on its way here, so I haven't played it yet! The guy says he has had it for the last 23 years or so, and it has a pressing fault, so I presume he means a jump! I can't remember seeing any vinyl boots, only styrene, altho' wendy says she has a vinyl boot.

link

Was this the copy that was on eBay? If so thought the description was a bit ambiguous, just said that 'most originals had pressing faults' or something along those lines... assumed it was the boot/2nd pressing/ whatever it is so didn't bid and will kick myself hard if it turns out not to be :thumbsup:whistling.gif

If not ignore me lol

Rachel

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Was this the copy that was on eBay? If so thought the description was a bit ambiguous, just said that 'most originals had pressing faults' or something along those lines... assumed it was the boot/2nd pressing/ whatever it is so didn't bid and will kick myself hard if it turns out not to be  :shades:   whistling.gif

If not ignore me lol

Rachel

link

Yes it was! At first I wrote it of too, but somehow the scan just looked too shiney for styrene so I mailed him and he replied that it was DEFINATLY vinyl! after that I just had to go for it! Still think it has to be too good to be true, but I can't wait 'till it arrives! :thumbsup:

Social source share

From that original pressing (late 1976) done at Monarch, I am 99.9% certain that there are none on vinyl, every one is styrene...I've also never seen a later press on vinyl. But obviously, when you get it you'll be able to date it from the delta number and the original probably never had one in the first place

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I hold mine up to the light. if you cant see the light its vinyl. if the run out groove goes a reddy brown, its styrene.

there are a lot more complicated ways, but as a rule of thumb, it works OK for me.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

how do i tell the difference between styrene & vinyl?

i assumed i had a vinyl copy....will check it out tonight

ta

link

Hi Wendy

Styrene will have the label stuck on I.E. you could get a fingernail under it and peel it off. also, if you tap styrene lightly, it sounds brittle and tinny. dont try to flex styrene, as it will crack! Vinyl copies have labels that look 'moulded' into the vinyl, you could not pick one off at the edge, and have a degree of flex. Best I can do, hope it helps.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

also try snapping it in half.

If it bends nice before it breaks then its vinyl

if it shatters in 1000 bits its styrene

thats a sure way to tell with no doubts

the gasher..

link

:D:shades::P:thumbsup:whistling.gif

Social source share

ta

link

If you look down the edge of a styrene record, it appears to have 2 layers, vinyl are usually a brownish colour on the edge.

Most styrene have stuck on labels, alshtough I have a few that appear to be moulded.

I was told ALL originals jump as it was a jump in the mater and therefore pressed into all copies.

The demo is the best one to have as they were never booted.

post-1398-1106834289_thumb.jpg

Billy whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I was told ALL originals jump as it was a jump in the mater and therefore pressed into all copies.

The demo is the best one to have as they were never booted.

post-1398-1106834289_thumb.jpg

Billy ranting_1.gif

link

The demos definitely don't jump. I had a mint unplayed demo copy just in from the US bought round to my place and it didn't jump. Horribly distorted though, I think that is what led to the mastering problem, the mix is too high up or something and the cutting head on the disc cutter probably freaked out.

Social source share

I have always liked the record but when I hear it out or even on a legit cd the sound quality is very poor. Are the demos any better? Also did they use the demos to copy onto the legit cd's?

Shane

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I have always liked the record but when I hear it out or even on a legit cd the sound quality is very poor. Are the demos any better? Also did they use the demos to copy onto the legit cd's?

Shane

link

The first half of the record sounded okay but by the end the vocal was breaking up and the bass was pretty unpleasant. I find it rather painful to listen to loud. I did play it on a pretty well set up deck and there was some improvement but at the end of the day they cocked up the mastering, therefore not sure that the demos are any better, they still sound rather bad IMHO. Shame, great record though.

Social source share

The demos definitely don't jump.  I had a mint unplayed demo copy just in from the US bought round to my place and it didn't jump.  Horribly distorted though, I think that is what led to the mastering problem, the mix is too high up or something and the cutting head on the disc cutter probably freaked out.

link

I don't have mine anymore, but I know it didn't jump, seems to have been a problem with the issues only. The sound quality wasn't bad too. I mean it had hisses and ticks and stuff, but that's cos it was rough ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Its funny because the owner of that copy played it at home on a £99 Argos "hi-fi" special and I got the impression it was probably more listenable on that.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Well it arrived today and its............Styrene! yes.gif styrene, styrene, fucking STYRENE! :angry:

"Yes, it is definatly VINYL".....Bollocks!

Either the guy doesn't know the difference, or hes a f***ing rip-off!

Well he only lives in Harrogate-20 minutes away. Either he returns my money, or I go and kick his skanky arse! :ohmy:

Ahh well.....learn your lesson for today from Uncle Trevski. "If something looks too good to be true..It probably is!"....even if the seller tells you it is true!

:Dyes.gif:D:D

Social source share

apologies for posting misleading info about my 45 - i've got a styrene copy too. why the hell would anyone bootleg a 45 on styrene? & does this mean the styrene will self-destruct in 2 years time??

poor you trevski, i guess the 'normal' record buying population havent even heard of styrene

Social source share

Well it arrived today and its............Styrene! yes.gif styrene, styrene, fucking STYRENE! :angry:

"Yes, it is definatly VINYL".....Bollocks!

Either the guy doesn't know the difference, or hes a f***ing rip-off!

Well he only lives in Harrogate-20 minutes away. Either he returns my money, or I go and kick his skanky arse! :D

Ahh well.....learn your lesson for today from Uncle Trevski. "If something looks too good to be true..It probably is!"....even if the seller tells you it is true!

:D   :D   :D   :D

link

Ohhhh I don't have to kick myself... laugh.gif Seriously though, sorry to hear that you didn't get the bargain you thought you had, hope you get your money back with no problems :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Ohhhh I don't have to kick myself...  yes.gif Seriously though, sorry to hear that you didn't get the bargain you thought you had, hope you get your money back with no problems  :ohmy:

link

Thanks Rachel yes.gif (hangs head in shame and embarrasment!) :D

Social source share

The delta number scratched in the styrene boot run out groove is #102402.

link

100% Bootleg.

So that everyone is aware for future ref Delta Numbers 100,000 and up were from 1977. Delta Numbers 80,000 were c. 1972. So anything numbered above 90,000 is a boot for the northern scene, unless of course any record was a new release at the time (i.e 70s), in which case it could have a legit delta number that high. Original Gwen Owens didn't have delta numbers anyway. :shhh:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Money safely back in my Paypal acount, with profound appologies from the seller.

He even paid me the postage to send it back to him! Good outcome, but I would still have liked it to really have been vinyl! :shhh:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Money safely back in my  Paypal acount, with profound appologies from the seller.

He even paid me the postage to send it back to him! Good outcome, but I would still have liked it really have been vinyl! :yes:

link

Good result there Trevski :yes: .... cause he could easily have ignored you as "a sale is a sale" as far as eBay are concerned irrespective of what you say to them :yes: .... just interested in the "income" from sales :angry: ....

Now for your vinyl search of this readily available tune :shhh::yes: ....

Social source share

With regards gwen owens 45 it actually got 3 pressings in original format w/d which i sol some years ago and played perfectly the more common faulty press -( certainly the original plates were sub standard they are very temperamental to temperature fluctuations and have a very short lifespan ) this accounts for it's rarity ,most will have been destroyed ! the mastertape must have been sound proof is the w/d ,in any case who would send a 45 to press if the sound quality was has poor as the faulty one ? then the rarest format the perfect press issue which gwen brought over with the 4 copies to prestatyneveryone thought it was a boot cos it has thinner vinyl and grooves, gwen told me that because of the failure of the first press it was given another go.god knows where the copies are, she also went on to say that the backing vocals were 2-3 of her friends from college.the 4 copies she brought over had been in the family since the 60's

Social source share

link

you can tell cos you can pick the label off on styrene 45's. All my styrene 45's at home are now only labelled on one side. If i ever sell them i shall class them as being cocked-up at the pressing plant, ultra rare and get more money :shhh:

Though some Styrenes have the 'label' design printed straight onto the styrene. this is not a problem though cos the comes off with meths.

Social source share

ta

link

The technical reply...I did a post on terms and definitions which someone passed on years ago and these can be found elsewhere on site.....

Styrene (properly, Polystyrene).

Hard, relatively inflexible plastic used to press records, mainly 7-inch

singles, mainly using the Injection Moulding process. The material is heated

to a liquid form and is then squirted or injected into the closed stampers

in the press. This requires that the labels be either glued or painted on

after the record leaves the press. The cost savings to the manufacturer

comes from the extended life of the stampers because of the lack of a

heating cycle to the stampers. The material can also be reused without

noticeable change to its moulding properties. Styrene records will therefore

usually have very quiet surfaces when found in an UNPLAYED Mint condition,

but unfortunately they will wear to a noisy condition rapidly, especially if

played with a bad stylus or an improperly tracking tonearm. They also are