If You Managed Joss Stone

Dayo

You may not agree, but to my ears this kid is the real deal.

I was musing last night about which songs I might have her cover if I was her manager...

The one that came to mind was "You been gone too long". Don't know why, but I reckon she'd do a cracking version of the Ann Sexton song. Just up her street.

Putting your anti-cover version pants aside, are there any songs which you would you like to hear revamped by the teen queen of uk soul?

Or not! lol

Colin

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

sorry Dayo but Joss Stone's voice irritates me :thumbsup: so I would hate to hear any cover versions by her, leave the original versions untouched they're so much better whistling.gif

Social source share

I was musing last night about which songs I might have her cover if I was her manager...

The one that came to mind was "You been gone too long".  Don't know why, but I reckon she'd do a cracking version of the Ann Sexton song.  Just up her street.

Putting your anti-cover version pants aside, are there any songs which you would you like to hear revamped by the teen queen of uk soul?

Or not! lol

Colin

link

No I agree, I do love Joss Stone voice, wish I could sing and look like her!

Social source share

She is backed heavily by her mum and dad. She toured extensively with Simply Red prior to launching her career. My mate is a sound engineer for Simply Red and spent a lot of time with her entourage. Apparently she didnt chose the 'soul' direction and she nearly ended up doing the Britney Spears route. They also had a pop career lined up for her if the soul thing failed.

She has a great voice compared to the current crop of chart stars but its not that special in my opinion.

Shane

Social source share

link

Find it all a bit strained... and so does she by the sound of her breathing whilst she's singing.... you can hear her gulping for breath on her current? song.........

I'd send her for some more singing lessons before I inflicted her on any decent tuneage.

WOOF!

Social source share

I DJed in NYC with Steve, the geezer who organised the first album for the record company and chose all the songs. He's a long time soul fan and apparently discovered Hanson or Manson or Alan Hansen. He knows his stuff so I could pass on your suggestions to him.

What about a swift change of direction for her and we could get her to sing '(My Room Is Only) Six By Six'!

Social source share

Find it all a bit strained... and so does she by the sound of her breathing whilst she's singing.... you can hear her gulping for breath on her current? song.........

I'd send her for some more singing lessons before I inflicted her on any decent tuneage.

WOOF!

link

The gulpy breaths are probably due to an overdose of compression on the vocal.

Social source share

I think that f I managed Joss Stone, then I wouldn't be able to stop smiling for months... fnarr fnarr!

link

I don't think we would have heard of Joss Stone if she was an ugly bird ranting_1.gif

Social source share

WOW. What working conditions those would be. ranting_1.gif

Funky Frankie is right, though. Image is important for the success of many people unfortunately. BUT-I still can't deny the fact that she has a very soulful voice. The looks are just a really really nice bonus. Taking the soul route will prove better for her in the end. Her career will have a chance to last longer. These mega pop stars burn hot and fizzle out before you know it. Just remember, her debut has been some pretty soul oriented material, so she will most likely mature well and get better with time and keep singing better material.

If I had the opportunity to choose some material for her to sing, I would stick mostly with ballads and slower deep numbers like:

1. Things Have More Meaning Now-Peggy Scott-Old Town (on the now out of print Old Town & Barry Soul Stirrers CD put out by Kent-Nice one Ady!) People, you have GOT to hear this song if you haven't already.

2. I've Got to Cry-Chris Hamilton-Bell-Nice 45 I picked up years ago. Also included on the CD "Deep Soul Inferno"

But for northern, I think she could do nice variations on these:

1. Stolen Hours-Patrice Holloway

2. Breakaway-Linda Lloyd-a more soulful less orchestral version

3. Satan Let Me Sleep Tonight-Brenda Starr

4. A Love Reputation-Denise LaSalle

5. Can You Remember-Rhonda Davis-this one especially

6. Wash and Wear Love-Lyn Varnardo-this could also be really great.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

I'm not sure Joss Stone is really a soul singer is she? Isn't she just a British Christina Aguillera type? Far too much trilling and warbling vocals for me..Seems like a load of clever marketing to make her seem more of a serious artist. My seven year old listens to her on her Now album and recognises that she's just pop - I think she should stick to covers of songs that don't make the original artists turn in their graves......

Social source share

I'm not sure Joss Stone is really a soul singer is she? Isn't she just a British Christina Aguillera type?  Far too much trilling and warbling vocals for me..Seems like a load of clever marketing  to make her seem more of a serious artist.  ..

link

Yes Gramps pan's people will be on in a minute.

Social source share

Just had a look at the album credits (Yes, I bought it, and the first one). Unlike her debut, she's co-written most of the track on this one. In fact, of the 14 tracks on the album, there are only three she wasn't involved in the writing of. Betty Wright co-produced the album as well as co-writing most of the songs and Ms Stone's co-written one with Lamont Dozier. The album has had people like Little Beaver, Angie Stone, Betty Wright, Nile Rodgers, Jeanette Wright, Benny Lattimore, Timmy Thomas and Thom Bell involved and that's a pretty impressive soul-related line up. This girl certainly is the real deal and so far removed from Christina Aguilara. You think those accomplished musicians and artistes would work with someone who wasn't passionate about it? Maybe I'm being idealistic but we revere people like Lamont Dozier and Betty Wright on this scene and if they've taken her under their wings, that's good enough for me. ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Funnily enough I was given her recent DVD as a birthday present just yesterday and must say I really really like her voice. Great singer. To answer your question I think everything "deep" would suit her voice the best....a funky uptempo version of "Midnight train to Georgia" I would at least try with her ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Maybe I'm being idealistic but we revere people like Lamont Dozier and Betty Wright on this scene and if they've taken her under their wings, that's good enough for me. blush.gif

link

Money money money.........

I'm actually gonna cry now-can't believe you lot rate this girl. Oh well, back to the old folks' home ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Money money money.........

I'm actually gonna cry now-can't believe you lot rate this girl.  Oh well, back to the old folks' home ranting_1.gif

link

She's got a good voice compared to all the total dross thats in the charts but serious soul singer??? nah... and i bet all those people sang with her just cos she's got loads of dosh and it gives them publicity too. Oh god, I bet she gets played now in the Y2K rooms which are paptastic blush.gif

Social source share

She ain't completely my cup of cappucino, but she CAN sing and is IMVHO miles better than some of the shite that passes for music these days....

Back to the original question, tho'.....my choice would hafta be Stay With Me Baby- Shirley Brown.

Social source share

She ain't completely my cup of cappucino, but she CAN sing and is IMVHO miles better than some of the shite that passes for music these days....

Back to the original question, tho'.....my choice would hafta be                                  Stay With Me Baby- Shirley Brown.

link

she should do a updated v mccoy,she came all the way heaven,changed to she came all the way from devon,i am right i hope about where shes from,i`m sure some body will correct me?wheres chalkie,mabe we should have the ask chalkie forum?,that lad knows everything?
Social source share

she should do a updated v mccoy,she came all the way heaven,changed to she came all the way from devon,i am right i hope about where shes from,i`m sure some body will correct me?wheres chalkie,mabe we should have the ask chalkie forum?,that lad knows everything?

link

you are right Kenny, she is from devon. you win a coconut!

Shane

Social source share

Back to the original question, tho'.....my choice would hafta be                                  Stay With Me Baby- Shirley Brown.

link

=======

I think she's got a pretty good voice, and enjoyed listening to the first album, but think she is current, and I'm not sure she could do justice to any northern sounds.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

=======

I think she's got a pretty good voice, and enjoyed listening to the first album, but think she is current, and I'm not sure she could do justice to any northern sounds.

Winnie:-)

link

Think I agree with you Winnie on this. x

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Erm, Who's Joss Stone ? Am I missing something?

Dave G

link

Thank goodness for that.

I had to google her name to see who she was.

I think she does the song thats on the advert for a furniture sale.

"this is the closest thing to crazy I have ever seen, being 23 acting 17"

I think thats how it goes.

Is that the worst lyric you have ever heard?? :shhh:

I cant get past that to even listen to her voice. She is very pretty tho.

Social source share

Thank goodness for that.

Is that the worst lyric you have ever heard??  :shhh:

link

No it's not Mikey, heard a track yesterday from Pete S went something like " if I were an orange" I kid you not !

Furniture sale, yes I know now - Soul ? come on you're all having a laugh, bout as soulful as larry trider (to quote a different post) :yes:

Social source share

Nah, the furniture ad is someone else- Me and K agree with ya Mikey. We both stick our fingers in our ears and repeat "its not real, you"re just imagining it" over and over again...... :shhh:

Social source share

Nah, the furniture ad is someone else- Me and K agree with ya Mikey. We both stick our fingers in our ears and repeat "its not real, you"re just imagining it" over and over again...... :unsure:

link

No, there is a Devon farm connection though, the furniture ad is Katie Manure, Joss Stone used to do backing vocals with the Worzels until she did her first "Western Soul" record, a cover of Hay Sah Lo Neigh, the vocal to "Tractor Your Mind"......er I think! whistling.gif

Social source share

Thank goodness for that.

Is that the worst lyric you have ever heard??  ranting_1.gif

link

Wrong Girl.

Closest thing to crazy is by Katy Mellua. If memory serves she's an Aussie living and working in London. Mike Batt wrote and produced most of her album, which you might describe as bluesy pop.

Joss Stone has a different kind of vibe. Her debut album featured some top session players from the soul heartlands.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I am so out of touch its untrue.

I only listen to radio for the footy (radio 5) or the cricket (Talk Sport or Radio 4), neither play much music.

Will have to ask girlfriends 6 year old boy. I bet he'd know the difference.

Social source share

Wrong Girl.

Closest thing to crazy is by Katy Mellua. If memory serves she's an Aussie living and working in London. Mike Batt wrote and produced most of her album, which you might describe as bluesy pop.

Miss Mellua did a pretty good version of John Mayall's Crawling up a hill on her album.

Joss Stone's album was produced by Betty Wright with Timmy Thomas and some other old TK / Malaco musicians on board too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!