R.e. Acrobatics N All

wendy

no disrespect but i wouldnt ever consider the 'acrobatic' dancers as being the best. i hate all that throwing yourself about on the floor. i find it embarrasing especially fat bald guys in their 40's. i respect that the backdropping etc was an integral part of the scene but its something best forgotten in my opinion. the best dancers stay on their feet!

maybe this will start another thread and I will have my critics no doubt!  whistling.gif

Shane

link

hi shane, taking you up on the suggestion of starting a new thread on this topic :thumbsup:

I was surprised to see this comment in the thread asking for northern soul dancers & even more surprised to see some people agree with this. that's not a dig at shane.

it's just that to me a big part of northern soul is about dancing with my friends & egging them on when it comes to a break so they'll be down on the floor throwing themselves about with all disregard for their physical well-being.

is it the general consesus that acrobatics are best forgotten (sob)

would love to know what you all think about this

Edited by wendy
Social source share

• Replies 62
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Trevski

Over the years I've seen too many 'dancing contests' won by people who could do all the acrobatics and spins, but who could not actualy dance to save their lives! For me dancing is just that, DANCING, not throwing yourself on the floor and capering about like a twat! Ok so Keb is the exception, why? 'cos apart from the acro's he can really put in the footwork, big style! One of the finest dancers I have EVER seen is Chris Holmes from York. Absolutely SUBLIME footwork. If you watch this guy all night you will not work out how he does it, his feet don't seem to repeat any moves twice! Incrdible dancer, and he stays firmly on his feet! whistling.gif Like baggies and vests, circle skirts and badges, acrobatics are best left in the past! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Over the years I've seen too many 'dancing contests' won by people who could do all the acrobatics and spins, but who could not actualy dance to save their lives! For me dancing is just that, DANCING, not throwing yourself on the floor and capering about like a twat! Ok so Keb is the exception, why? 'cos apart from the acro's he can really put in the footwork, big style! One of the finest dancers I have EVER seen is Chris Holmes from York. Absolutely SUBLIME footwork. If you watch this guy all night you will not work out how he does it, his feet don't seem to repeat any moves twice! Incrdible dancer, and he stays firmly on his feet! whistling.gif Like baggies and vests, circle skirts and badges, acrobatics are best left in the past! :thumbsup:

link

You should see Clive Johnson from Sheffield. Completely at one with the music, whatever the tempo.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I like watching Andy from Bradford most.

He just seems to become at one with the music. Smooth and graceful.

The problem with some of the guys who do acrobatics now is, they just do them. No listening to the music, and trying to fit in with the beat.

And that is not jealousy, cos I'm too old and fat to do them anymore, well not too much, well OK it is, but I still think the acrobatics should be graceful. Ability to do floorwork, or backdrops is one thing. Dancing in time to the music is another.

Someone mentioned paul Sadot on the other thread. He can do it perfectly, as can Keb.

Social source share

One guy up here - I don't need to mention his name. Nice enough guy but look out when he does his spins. Past experience has taught me this: if the guy is about to launch into one of his 'specials', grab onto your chair, coat, lager, peanuts, car keys, and god knows what because 99 times out of a hundred he ends up careering into the tables and chairs. Someone needs to film this - a kinda You've Been Framed on Amphetamines-type thing.

All good natured fun though - wouldn't miss it for the world. It can be quite amusing when you're in the midst of some lively debate about anorak fibres when some guy crashes into your table - taking the contents down with him....

Hammy

Social source share

Tend to think spins are acceptable as you get older and can still pull a decent one myself when necessary, still got resonable foot work as well though nowhere near as fast as used to be. Acrobatics? Too many rugby injuries to do this anymore, knees wont take it.

Recently at a venue and went into a spin at the same time as some other guy started dropping and throwing himself about and the result was a tangle with me ending up sprawled across some non-soulies table with drinks everywhere. Everyone agreed that they should'nt have been there in the first place!

Social source share

Tend to think spins are acceptable as you get older and can still pull a decent one myself when necessary, still got resonable foot work as well though nowhere near as fast as used to be. Acrobatics? Too many rugby injuries to do this anymore, knees wont take it.

Recently at a venue and went into a spin at the same time as some other guy started dropping and throwing himself about and the result was a tangle with me ending up sprawled across some non-soulies table with drinks everywhere. Everyone agreed that they should'nt have been there in the first place!

link

What the drinks or the non soulies whistling.gif Had to laugh just picturing it Gary

Dave G

Social source share

Love acrobatics, love spins, stompng etc ...as long as the person doing em is dancing to the same record in his/her head that the rest of us are. Best I've seen is definitely Paul Sadot.

Would love to be able to spin myself but I've fallen over enough times just shuffling from side to side so it's best avoided

Social source share

Would love to be able to spin myself but I've fallen over enough times just shuffling from side to side so it's best avoided

link

hahaha. me too! i'm always falling over, but it's best to blame the floor for that eg' stupid talc' or 'there was beer spilled there' etc etc whistling.gif

Social source share

As an ex-breakdancer, I've got a lot of appreciation for the acrobatics. But I do agree about the footwork being important. You've got to have style on the floor and above all, stay on the beat. Then, from there, putting a series of moves and footwork together to keep a flow going and making some interchangeable routines. Doing a couple of acrobatics and walking off aren't the makings of a good overall dancer in my opinion. I compare it to all of these young hip hop DJs who are amazing at scratching and can't mix and get records on beat to save their lives. Dancing is meant to be expressive.

The dancer in bags on the intro to The Old Grey Whistle Test documentary is great. The guy is just all over the room and one move flows into another. As far as it looking right, it just depends on the individual. If they looke like it's killing them, maybe they better give it a rest.

I wish somebody would help me with my spins. I'm going crosseyed trying to analyze what to do to unlock the whole formula. Spin left? Spin right? Ball of the foot? Heel? Some days I'm good and other days I have no balance whatsoever. Being an ace northern dancer is one of my goals. I've got over 20 years of breakdancing, poplocking, and dancing two step in deep house clubs under my belt. I'm trying to adapt all of that experience and fit it in to my northern moves.

As far as dancers I appreciate, my money's on Mr. "Soul Time" Carl from Notts. He does everything effortlessly and seamlessly. He's good at using his arms and hands too. Great guy if you've ever met him and really encouraging to other dancers trying to learn. Got him on video and I've studied his moves a few times. Dancing in close proximity to him in LA improved my moves a little, too.

It would be a shame to see the acrobatics and bags go away completely. It's a part of northern soul tradition. But maybe those things just don't suit everybody, which can be embarrasing sometimes, I guess. But there's also something to be said about just getting out there and not giving a crap and genuinely enjoying yourself. Being able to let go can be a good healthy and therapeutic thing.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

As an ex-breakdancer, I've got a lot of appreciation for the acrobatics. But I do agree about the footwork being important. You've got to have style on the floor and above all, stay on the beat. Then, from there, putting a series of moves and footwork together to keep a flow going and making some interchangeable routines. Doing a couple of acrobatics and walking off aren't the makings of a good overall dancer in my opinion. I compare it to all of these young hip hop DJs who are amazing at scratching and can't mix and get records on beat to save their lives. Dancing is meant to be expressive.

The dancer in bags on the intro to The Old Grey Whistle Test documentary is great. The guy is just all over the room and one move flows into another. As far as it looking right, it just depends on the individual. If they looke like it's killing them, maybe they better give it a rest.

I wish somebody would help me with my spins. I'm going crosseyed trying to analyze what to do to unlock the whole formula. Spin left? Spin right? Ball of the foot? Heel? Some days I'm good and other days I have no balance whatsoever. Being an ace northern dancer is one of my goals. I've got over 20 years of breakdancing, poplocking, and dancing two step in deep house clubs under my belt. I'm trying to adapt all of that experience and fit it in to my northern moves.

As far as dancers I appreciate, my money's on Mr. "Soul Time" Carl from Notts. He does everything effortlessly and seamlessly. He's good at using his arms and hands too. Great guy if you've ever met him and really encouraging to other dancers trying to learn. Got him on video and I've studied his moves a few times. Dancing in close proximity to him in LA improved my moves a little, too.

It would be a shame to see the acrobatics and bags go away completely. It's a part of northern soul tradition. But maybe those things just don't suit everybody, which can be embarrasing sometimes, I guess. But there's also something to be said about just getting out there and not giving a crap and genuinely enjoying yourself. Being able to let go can be a good healthy and therapeutic thing.

KTF

Jas

link

Jas, the formular of spinning left to right, if you can keep practising walking in a straight line upto 20-25 ft, with your eyes closed day in day out for 4 weeks, you will find you balance will improve by 85%.

For straight hand stands, upto 2000 4 finger pressups in every 6 days.

You will find your triceps will counter balance your biceps.

Cheers Billy

Keep doing it if you've still got it

Social source share

Dancing is form of expression. When I first started going to niters I was amazed that these folks were doing some kinda breakdancing, as I was bang it to breakin at that time! But something I found refreshing was that no one seemed to judge you, well, not out loud anyway ranting_1.gif

Of course the best dancers are those who interpret and dance in time with the music... whether they're floor working or not.

Floor working is part of the scene, but should only be done where there's enough room to safely do it!

Social source share

I'm quite capable of falling over just doing that :ohmy:   ranting_1.gif

link

I definitely blame over slippy dancefloors for my little falls over the years. You can't win, buy yourself a pair of leather soled shoes and the floors seems so slippy it's like stepping on an ice rink-go in trainers and your feet stick to the floor. I end up turning up to allniters with as many pairs of shoes as Imelda Marcos just in case blush.gif Or avoiding the dancefloor totally cos of all those acrobatic dancers not looking where they're going and sending me flying... yeah I've changed my mind now -stop all that fancy stuff and leave the dancefloor to us lower achievers :dance:

Social source share

billy - at the risk of seeming very stupid are you serious about walking in a straight line with your eyes closed? how does this help with spins?

link

He also prepares for the dancefloor by painting the fence and catching flies with chopsticks too! ranting_1.gif

Shane

Social source share

billy - at the risk of seeming very stupid are you serious about walking in a straight line with your eyes closed? how does this help with spins?

link

Hi Wendy spinning is not everyday part of life but walking is,if you can walk in a striaght line with your eyes closed you are 99% there as alot of people spin with there eyes open and the brain can't take it all in so closing your eyes and walking straight would count

the balance when you start to spin and the rest is pratice I hope that answers your question Wendy I find it works with me only been doing it for 30 years are you the wendy from the rocket.

Billy

Social source share

Interesting thread but personaly find acrobatics on the dance floor absoluteley pathetic these days,if any one part of the scene leaves us open to ridicule then this is it.When you watch the dvds of the dance competitions at the weekenders its enough to make you cringe surley it is time to grow old with a little dignity.Obviously just my opinion but for the life of me cant understand 40 odd yr old men wanting to leave themselves open to this ridicule,especialy as some of these guys were fantastic dancers in times gone by,but like wigan that was then and this is now

Social source share

Interesting thread but personaly find acrobatics on the dance floor absoluteley pathetic these days,if any one part of the scene leaves us open to ridicule then this is it.When you watch the dvds of the dance competitions at the weekenders its enough to make you cringe surley it is time to grow old with a little dignity.Obviously just my opinion but for the life of me cant understand 40 odd yr old men wanting to leave themselves open to this ridicule,especialy as some of these guys were fantastic dancers in times gone by,but like wigan that was then and this is now

link

Could'nt put that any better myself Andy you are invited to my 21st Birthday party LOL ranting_1.gif

Social source share

ranting_1.gif It is at this point that i feel that i sould apologise to the girl at Annersley Miners Welfare last month, who's breast i accidently held onto to stop myself from falling on my arse (yet again).

How emabarassed is it possible to be! Of course i blame it entirely on the talcy/beer sodden interface on that part of the floor.

Both her and her boyfriend an of course my good lady are the most understanding people i have ever met! :ohmy:

Sorry

blush.gif

PS Tall Paul is pretty damn fine but Carol is the best dancer in the universe

Social source share

hi shane, taking you up on the suggestion of starting a new thread on this topic ranting_1.gif

I was surprised to see this comment in the thread asking for northern soul dancers & even more surprised to see some people agree with this. that's not a dig at shane.

it's just that to me a big part of northern soul is about dancing with my friends & egging them on when it comes to a break so they'll be down on the floor throwing themselves about with all disregard for their physical well-being.

is it the general consesus that acrobatics are best forgotten  (sob)

would love to know what you all think about this

link

===============

Most of the people I chat to, when dancing does come up, would probably say it's time to lose the acrobatics. Personally if I was still able to do them

a) gracefully

cool.gif without injuring myself

I would, but I can't. I think spinning is still allowed, blush.gif and providing it's done at the right time (appropriate break) looks fine. As other comments further on in this thread have mentioned the footwork is paramount IMO, which is why in general I think girls are far better dancers than boys. They seem to feel the music better, and of course are usually more graceful than the male of the species. I could name 5 girl dancers straight off who really cut the mustard on the floor, whereas with guys I don't think it's that easy. I've seen many good droppers and good spinners, but normally they struggle to keep with the beat of a record, cos there whole routine is geared around the spin, or the acrobatics. Somebody else said, it's about actually dancing to the record playing, and I've seen a few people dancing to Ruby Andrews who were clearly hearing cochise in their heads :ohmy:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

You've got to watch out though. Standing by some incredibly sweaty fella just to watch him spin is not recommended. Someone elses sweat on the face is not nice but sweat in the eye is bloody painful!!!! yes.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

For straight hand stands, upto 2000 4 finger pressups in every 6 days.

You will find your triceps will counter balance your biceps.

Cheers Billy

link

Is that four fingers from each hand or two?

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

You've got to watch out though. Standing by some incredibly sweaty fella just to watch him spin is not recommended. Someone elses sweat on the face is not nice but sweat in the eye is bloody painful!!!!  yes.gif

link

Keb - when he had hair (actually even now when he hasnt!)

Social source share

if any of you ladeez would like some floor-work lessons, please see below me demonstrating my teaching technique:

link

Can you explain about floor work lessons?! yes.gif

Social source share

Is that four fingers from each hand or two?

link

I used to be able to do one handed hand stands - can only do them against a wall now though - weakness in left side - not old age! - proved it at the Dome few months ago!!! yes.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Has anyone been to that place in Shoreditch where Cello does his nights? I think its 'On the Rocks'. It had mirrors beside the dancefloor. R

They are really off putting. Of course its impossible not to look at yourself dancing, but at the same time, you have to try to pretend that you arent really watching yourself. yes.gif

Social source share

I used to be able to do one handed hand stands - can only do them against a wall now though - weakness in left side - not old age! - proved it at the Dome few months ago!!!  :ohmy:

link

Bloody hell Karen, takes me back to my school days, standing around waiting for girls to do handstands against the wall yes.gif

Agree with Winnie, going back to 70's loads of people could do incredible spins & nothing else ! Just shuffle on the floor until the next big spin. Mind you I can't talk I just used to shuffle yes.gif

Social source share

Bloody hell Karen, takes me back to my school days, standing around waiting for girls to do handstands against the wall yes.gif

Agree with Winnie, going back to 70's loads of people could do incredible spins & nothing else ! Just shuffle on the floor until the next big spin. Mind you I can't talk I just used to shuffle  yes.gif

link

Hi ya, if I spin I get dizzy! maybe that's why people describe me as dizzy?! :ohmy:

Social source share

Dancing is form of expression. When I first started going to niters I was amazed that these folks were doing some kinda breakdancing, as I was bang it to breakin at that time! But something I found refreshing was that no one seemed to judge you, well, not out loud anyway  :shhh:

Of course the best dancers are those who interpret and dance in time with the music... whether they're floor working or not.

Floor working is part of the scene, but should only be done where there's enough room to safely do it!

link

I totally agree with you soul sam,

Billy

Social source share

Has anyone been to that place in Shoreditch where Cello does his nights? I think its 'On the Rocks'. It had mirrors beside the dancefloor. R

They are really off putting. Of course its impossible not to look at yourself dancing, but at the same time, you have to try to pretend that you arent really watching yourself. :shhh:

link

========

Used to be a venue in Bedford ran by Danny and Frank, "The Dujon" that used to have mirrors on the pillars. It was quite funny, now you see yourself, now you don't. Think I've been to that on the rocks, does it have a sparkly dancefloor?

Social source share

:shhh: Pah!! only by those who couldn't do it :yes: delx

link

=========

Thing is Del, these days IMO theres only a handful who drop and still look good, Sammy, Carl, Andy H, Keb for example, but when you go along to a local soul night, and some 20 stone monster wants to relive his youth............... :yes:

Social source share

========

Used to be a venue in Bedford ran by Danny and Frank, "The Dujon" that used to have mirrors on the pillars. It was quite funny, now you see yourself, now you don't. Think I've been to that on the rocks, does it have a sparkly dancefloor?

link

The mirrors were also useful for making sure you wernt about to be beaten sensless by the Bedford Boot Boys in the bar behind.....otherwise a good night out

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

The mirrors were also useful for making sure you wernt about to be beaten sensless by the Bedford Boot Boys in the bar behind.....otherwise a good night out

link

can you not mention mirrors ...i got in trouble for complaining about mirrors on here hahahaha

Davie :shhh:

Social source share

Shocked at some of the comments on here.

like....."its enough to make you cringe"

It seems the style police are out in force. Shame on you.

Who are you to say whats acceptable and whats not on a Saturday nite?

Consenting adults & all that.

A bunch of guys that I know are well into Morris dancing. Not my cup of T but they love it. What I never do is go along to there events, cringe & then go onto their web site and make jokey comments about them.

Social source share

One guy up here - I don't need to mention his name. Nice enough guy but look out when he does his spins. Past experience has taught me this: if the guy is about to launch into one of his 'specials', grab onto your chair, coat, lager, peanuts, car keys, and god knows what because 99 times out of a hundred he ends up careering into the tables and chairs. Someone needs to film this - a kinda You've Been Framed on Amphetamines-type thing.

All good natured fun though - wouldn't miss it for the world. It can be quite amusing when you're in the midst of some lively debate about anorak fibres when some guy crashes into your table -  taking the contents down with him....

Hammy

link

YOU WOULDN'T BE TALKING BOUT BIRLIN' JIMMY WOULD YOU HAMMY?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!