Floor Clearers

Guest Dawnie

• Replies 44
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What tunes have you totally cleared the dancefloor with lately. Here's a couple from me.

On Sunday night at the J2 Alldayer mid way through my spot and a full dancefloor i felt confident and played "Leave it up to to the boys" by Sandra King (Thanks to Rich Buckley for this gem) and killed it stone dead! Best record I played all night IMO.

A few weeks ago and the same scenario at The Connaught and I played "Baby come back" by Don Ray Sampson and the same happened again. Fantastic record. Mind you a few people came up to the decks and asked what it was.

This wont stop me playing them again but how long can you give a record with no dancefloor reaction?

Once again what great tunes have you cleared the dancefloor with lately?

Edited by craig W
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Cleared the floor with Doug Banks, then had some guy come up and tell me first time ever seen that one clear the floor, as if I didn't know.

When I clubed dj'd back in the 70's it was the rule in one of the clubs to clear the floor every half hour, boss informed me they ain't spending money if they are dancing, I want them at the bar, so play something crap to get them there. Of course this was the opportunity to play something decent it was just the punters didn't have a clue so off to the bar they went, great memories.

Social source share

I was doing a spot at the Junction 9 club (walsall) all oldies full floor Delarks Job opening 3 dancing could not believe it

I've heard thats all they get in there nowadays Ted so you did well to get everyone in the room dancing :wicked:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

usually the big tunes i expect to slay em ...don't . but then there is the unexpected floorfiller as well

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

Eddie Parker "Love you baby " Ashford ..

my all time favourite 60's stormer failed me :thumbsup:

Eddie Parker cleared the floor!!!!! I find that unbelievable :ohmy::no::no:

Social source share

usually the big tunes i expect to slay em ...don't . but then there is the unexpected floorfiller as well

Most records cleared the floor at one time or another

Perseverence is the key word

If you believe in it, play it :thumbsup:

Everyone has to hear something for the first time :ohmy:

cheers

Paul

Social source share

Cleared the floor with Doug Banks, then had some guy come up and tell me first time ever seen that one clear the floor, as if I didn't know.

When I clubed dj'd back in the 70's it was the rule in one of the clubs to clear the floor every half hour, boss informed me they ain't spending money if they are dancing, I want them at the bar, so play something crap to get them there. Of course this was the opportunity to play something decent it was just the punters didn't have a clue so off to the bar they went, great memories.

Ear To Ear, Rememberin', Grin Up On That!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ear To Ear, Rememberin', Grin Up On That!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

I am not a stranger to clearing a floor , but if it does happen , I have to smile when I hear someone sat down applauding the record that has failed ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

What tunes have you totally cleared the dancefloor with lately. Here's a couple from me.

On Sunday night at the J2 Alldayer mid way through my spot and a full dancefloor i felt confident and played "Leave it up to to the boys" by Sandra King (Thanks to Rich Buckley for this gem) and killed it stone dead! Best record I played all night IMO.

A few weeks ago and the same scenario at The Connaught and I played "Baby come back" by Don Ray Sampson and the same happened again. Fantastic record. Mind you a few people came up to the decks and asked what it was.

This wont stop me playing them again but how long can you give a record with no dancefloor reaction?

Once again what great tunes have you cleared the dancefloor with lately?

Given the rule of thumb applied at Stafford by Dave Thorley , Guy Hennigan and Keb Darge , three times .......

If it did not go with the dancefloor after three times of playing , it was cast aside ....

Interesting to see that a lot of these ' disgarded ' 45s are now acknowlwdged as creditable , and more so , big money , tunes ...

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Reminds me of a story of a swingers club someone on here was DJing at - and he knows who he is :ohmy: . The organisers got miffed because everyone was dancing rather than getting it on (or off) :thumbsup:

Social source share

At Surfers Paradise on saturday i cleared the floor with

kool blues lets try love again

previous ones to sink in Queensland have been

curtis anderson hardest part , marke jackson i never forget you, sam moultrie i 'll always love you masqueraders how big & gene chandler mr big shot.

One that did go alright gerry granger aint it funny regards john in da sun

Social source share

Guest the dukester

First Spot Sat Night.....

Fantastic Epics - Lets Get Together

The Differences - Five Minutes

MT'D FLOOR

:ohmy::no::no::no::ohmy:

Forgive them Lord for they know not what they do :thumbsup:

Social source share

At Surfers Paradise on saturday i cleared the floor with

kool blues lets try love again

previous ones to sink in Queensland have been

curtis anderson hardest part , marke jackson i never forget you, sam moultrie i 'll always love you masqueraders how big & gene chandler mr big shot.

One that did go alright gerry granger aint it funny regards john in da sun

Johnny , why would anyone want to be dancing to old soul records indoors in a club when the outdoors setting is Surfers Paradise / Queensland, Australia and the weather is hotter in winter than it is in ye olde England now going into summer !!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yeah I agree it is ok to clear the floor , as long as some collectors ask what the tune is afterwards ..

Collectors??? :wicked::thumbsup:

I was explaining to someone at the weekend that this is very different to the 70s and 80s. Sometimes back then promotors would regularly "view" the floor and 'lambast' anyone foolish enough to play something that didn't pack the floor. Fortunately those days are gone, but it was always fun (and still is) to go out on a limb so to speak.

Remember finishing up a set at The Fleet once early 80s with a slower record C L Blast "Love don't feel like love no more" (Cotillion) - cheap and great, and it virtually cleared the floor, because it's a bit southern and slower. Tony Clayton or Brian Rae (can't remember which now) was on after me and started with Wakefield Sun "Trypt on Love", and the floor was full again - that just about summed it all up nicely..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup: Yes, good old days - I remember the next DJ looking absolutely disgusted at the record - wouldn't do that now! :thumbsup:

haha yeah Im pretty sure I met you and Max at the Fleet 1982 , .aslo Im sure C L Blast had a great dancer on his Cotillion Lp :wicked:

Social source share

Guest SteveC

I remember playing 2 tunes that virtually cleared the floor down south on a couple of occasions - to my disgust and shock angry.gif:thumbsup:

Mac Staten - There she goes

Ascots - Another day

Gobsmacked!!!!

Social source share

I remember playing 2 tunes that virtually cleared the floor down south on a couple of occasions - to my disgust and shock angry.gif:thumbsup:

Mac Staten - There she goes

Ascots - Another day

Gobsmacked!!!!

You cleared the floor with Mac Staten??????? What did you do, play it at the wrong speed?

Where was the gig, a home for the deaf?? When you tire of Mac Staten, you tire of life itself.

Social source share

Guest kev such

Managed to clear the floor a few times. Must be an art of mine now. The two that stick in my mind are, both from doing spots at the Soulshack in Wellingborough.

I bought a mint copy of Otis Smith, Let her Go, had been after it for ages. So when i finally got a copy i couldnt wait to include it in a spot at The Shack. First time i played it cleared the floor.

I then managed to get a copy of Frankie Dell "He broke your game wide open", first time i played it about halfway through a set, it killed the floor stone dead. I swear i could hear tumbleweed passing over the floor for possibly the longest 3(ish) minutes ever.

Regards

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!