Rare 45s

Guest Lady Maverick

I hate it when people say there's only2 copies or 3 copies of something unless they can actually prove it. Who knows how many copies are in the hands of 'silent' collectors? These people did not press up quantities of 2, 3 copies unless they were for test pressings...they'd press 100, 200, 500, 1000. If you really want a 1 off or 2 off, try the acetates that Mangoman is selling...you'll get a real exclsuive for yourself there.

I was talking to Tedsoul the other day and we both agreed that more or less every rare record has appeared on ebay...one that hasn't is Norma Jenkins - Airplane Song. Shit record but must be incredibly rare.

Right, and we've discussed the various reasons for rarity on here before. Don't think anyone's suggesting they only pressed up 2-3 copies are they?, more that for whatever reason (pressing fault, contractual dispute, death etc etc.) the record never got out in any quantity.

No one's mentioned Walter Wilson yet?

Social source share

• Replies 242
  • Views 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Right, and we've discussed the various reasons for rarity on here before. Don't think anyone's suggesting they only pressed up 2-3 copies are they?, more that for whatever reason (pressing fault, contractual dispute, death etc etc.) the record never got out in any quantity.

No one's mentioned Walter Wilson yet?

No I know what you mean, for instance that Al Scott demo, 2/3 known copies but thats because they are only known TO US, nobody has the authority to say there are no more.

Social source share

...I think thats why we all talk about "...known copies". Thats why threads like this are so helpfull as already some collectors put their hands up telling us that they have a copy of this and that. However, I do agree with you that there are so many unknown collectors out there who do not dj, use the various forums or even remember what they do have at home that of course there are many many rarities tucked away in collections we do not even know about.

For example I just heard last night about an Arthur Willis copy....which will be "available" maybe soon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Frankie Beverly re-recorded "I want to feel I'm wanted" in 1985 for the Maze L.P. "Can't stop the love".. Capitol didn't use the Fairmount matrix number though.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Potsy,

.. but like I said second labels don't excite me personally. Same with Al Williams on Palmer..etc.

:thumbsup: John, with the greatest of respect, but I can't believe you've just said that. That's not what you said round at your house that time! Your exact words were "Let me auction the Palmer copy for you, it's far more exciting than the LaBeat".

By the way, I put the Palmer on one deck & the Labeat on the other, I didn't realise how much difference there was in the two recordings sound quality wise :thumbsup:

Social source share

Another motown rarity not well known by the northern community: a doowop collector told me that there's only two known copies of the charters on mel-o-dy. Is this true? It's a nice record.

Yes, only two known copies as far as I know. Both are white demos and both apparently turned up in Toledo... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I hate it when people say there's only2 copies or 3 copies of something unless they can actually prove it. Who knows how many copies are in the hands of 'silent' collectors? These people did not press up quantities of 2, 3 copies unless they were for test pressings...they'd press 100, 200, 500, 1000. If you really want a 1 off or 2 off, try the acetates that Mangoman is selling...you'll get a real exclsuive for yourself there.

I was talking to Tedsoul the other day and we both agreed that more or less every rare record has appeared on ebay...one that hasn't is Norma Jenkins - Airplane Song. Shit record but must be incredibly rare.

and June Jackson on Musette :thumbsup: which I know 500 were pressed originally. One of which live at my house... so how often do you all see that number?

Mal.C.

Social source share

I agree with you (especially given the small circle here that definitely doesn't include a lot of collectors), but there are a few documented cases of things being rare for specific reasons. For example, someone on soulfuldetroit described how motown pressed exactly 6 copies of Frank Wilson and documented what happened to most of them at least. In other cases, a small number were pressed and most were destroyed (at least personally I've talked to people who have told me about how stuff was pressed and destroyed).

Social source share

:lol: John, with the greatest of respect, but I can't believe you've just said that. That's not what you said round at your house that time! Your exact words were "Let me auction the Palmer copy for you, it's far more exciting than the LaBeat".

By the way, I put the Palmer on one deck & the Labeat on the other, I didn't realise how much difference there was in the two recordings sound quality wise :lol:

So which one has the best sound quality then Ady?

Social source share

Hi Phil,

The Palmer one, strange, but true. Just double checked them again to make sure. It's louder & clearer.

Ady

HI Pottsy.....just wondering, is the Palmer issue styrene?....personally I've always thought that mint styrene puts out a cleaner sound

Social source share

Thats done it pete theres bound to be one now wonder what Tim brown did with my old copy

Social source share

Two I understand, one in the UK and one in Munich, Germany (found for 15 cents in a book exchange shop in Dallas, Texas)

did anyone ever see a copy of it on Tide records??? i´m pretty sure that Joerg Brenner´s copy in Munich and Roger Banks´s copy are both on Jaadeen records, but i also heard about an existing third copy in a collection in the United States, maybe that one´s on Tide......anyone more info???

btw. not listed in any price guides because 15 cent records are not listed there :rolleyes:

Social source share

How many known copies are there of the Antellects - "Love slave" on Flodavieur?. What about Walter Wilson - "Love keeps me crying" on Wand and why is that one so rare (if it is).

Walter Wilson - believe there was a contractual dispute which meant that it didn't get distributed and was "pulled" after being pressed up.

Quite often with Wand they'd try a record in one city only, so they'd send all the promos to the local A&R man to distribute - if he didn't bother, they'd languish in his basement until he threw them all out. :thumbsup: This accounts for several Wand "rarities" (and presumably Scepter label as well). Steve

Social source share

Guest Tommy

Now that I have finished my move...a question...and please move to the right thread if it's in the wrong place.

Has there been any other ultra-rare records that folk has paid high amounts for besides Frank Wilson's DO I LOVE YOU...or was that the rarest one ever?

Thank you!

Hi Maverick,

I've just been having a look on Dave Rimmers website (soulfulkindamusic.net). He has a Rarest of the Rare list that was complied some years back. It's quite funny looking at it as half the stuff on there really shouldnt be on there. Obviously all the records on there are rare, but, for example, the Cashmeres on Hem is certainly not rarest of the rare (and don't argue with me on that Soul Sourcers, it's true).

The few i've selected out of this list really are DEAD rare records, and to answer your question all the below have all sold for big bucks over the years, but no one has given 15 grand for any of them as with the Frank Wilson. The truth of the matter is Maverick, if Mr. Burrell didnt get a bit carried away that day he gave thousands for the Frank Wilson then it would be in the same price range as a few on this list below. For example, if it was The Magnetics - Lady in green - Bonnie that he happened to give 15 grand for that day, then everyone would be going on about "The Magnetics on Bonnie... most expensive Soul record in the world!".

Ted Wilson - I Can't Take No More - Sierra 267

Frank Wilson - Do I Love You - Soul

The Utopias - Girls Are Against Me - La Salle 0072

The Topics - Have Your Fun - Dream 1

Gene Toones - What More Do You Want - Simco 30000 (BLUE ISSUE)

The Springers - Nothing's Too Good For My Baby - Wales 428

The Prophets - If I Had One Gold Piece- Shrine 1116

The Precisions - Sugar Ain't Sweet - Drew 1002

William Powell - Heartache Souvenirs - Powerhouse 101

George Pepp - The Feeling Is Real - Coleman 80

The Moments - Baby I Want You - Hog 1000

Kell Osbourne - Law Against A Heartbreaker - Highland

Junior McCants - Try Me For Your New Love - King 6106

The Magnetics- Lady In Green - Bonnie

Little Stanley - Out Of Sight Loving - Vance 00111

Little Johnny Hamilton - Keep On Movin' - Dore 760

Len Jewell - Bettin' On Love - Teri De 004

Norma Jenkins & The Dolls - The Aeroplane Song - Maltese 107

Milton James - My Lonely Feeling - Dore 767

Esther Grant - Let's Make The Most Out Of Love - Wilstone 001

Don Gardner - Cheatin' Kind - Sedgrick 3001

The Deltours - Sweet And Lovely - Starville 1206

The Combinations - What You Gonna Do - Kellmac 1011

The C.O.D.s - She's Fire - Kellmac 1010

Nolan Chance - Just Like The Weather - Bunky 161

Tim Carr - Workin' - Kee 001

The Butlers with Frankie Beverley - Because Of My Heart - Rouser 1017

Jimmy Andrews - Big City Playboy - Blue Jay 5003

J D Bryant - I Won't Be Coming Back - Shrine 108

The Andantes - Like A Nightmare - VIP 25006

Shocked to see the Turbines on there and not the Fred & The Turbins. And yesssss, come on, i know some wankers going to have to say it, "it's shit, not a patch on the Turbines". I've heard it all before :thumbsup:

Edited by Tommy
Social source share

Guest moggy

Many moons ago

I used to travel up to Wigan with a certain Mr Clive Jones

Had a super collection (also loaded I might add)

He had a copy of the Del-larks Job Opening On Queen City he said it was, at that time the only known copy

Dont think ive ever seen another one

So how many of those anyone confirm

Also

Was once offered a Cuppy Demo of the Delites Love Her for £30 in the record bar at Wigan

which was more than i earned a week

Years later had a row with Pat Brady, who told me, there wasnt a demo of this

Yet a few weeks after Pat and I had our disscussion, a copy was for sale in echoes, stating serious offers only

Again anyone confirm

Social source share

Guest Sue Males

Be interested how much a copy of George Pepp would go for these days - Haven't seen one for a while.

Rich

What a lovely record, always liked this. A nice man from Bedford just got one recently, did hear he had to lift a pretty wide floor board to pay for it though :lol: Then heard someone from Stotfold went on a world cruise :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Anybody else got a Prophets on Shrine, just interested to know, I know of 2 copies with collectors in the States, and I know Andy Rix had an acetate, but would be interested to know who else has a copy, and not hearsay.

Regards the Margaret Little - 3 known copies, anything esle is hearsay until proven differently.

Social source share

Guest martyn

OK soundwise not a patch on some of the others mentioned on this thread,but rarity wise how about Camp-Marchin' on Scepter ?

Cant recall ever seeing anything other than the boot for sale????

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Many moons ago

I used to travel up to Wigan with a certain Mr Clive Jones

Had a super collection (also loaded I might add)

He had a copy of the Del-larks Job Opening On Queen City he said it was, at that time the only known copy

Dont think ive ever seen another one

So how many of those anyone confirm

Also

Was once offered a Cuppy Demo of the Delites Love Her for £30 in the record bar at Wigan

which was more than i earned a week

Years later had a row with Pat Brady, who told me, there wasnt a demo of this

Yet a few weeks after Pat and I had our disscussion, a copy was for sale in echoes, stating serious offers only

Again anyone confirm

De-larks fairly common, I guess, rarity wise, certainly more than a large handful! (wish we had never sold an issue copy to Ron Pedley for the princely sum of £350!)

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Trevski

It was on Demo the Del-Larks he owned / owns

Nope, was a dark blue/silver issue, deffo, he got from us, not a black/silver demo, and I don't think he's replaced it.

post-1355-1181043418_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Think Butch has the sandy golden---your love is everything. and Arthur Fenn used to have it..I think that what he told me.

Mal.C.

Richard Searling as far as I know has the only other known copy of Sandy Golden. He got it off Rob Marriott whi intiurn got it off Ion.

Social source share

Probably not everybodys cup of tea, but what about:

Cosmos Universal Band - Third Eye

Is there another copy known, except Butchs?

And don't know, if already been discused, but how many copies of the Inspirations - No one else can take your place are in the known?

cheers,

Martin

Social source share

Guest martyn

OK soundwise not a patch on some of the others mentioned on this thread,but rarity wise how about Camp-Marchin' on Scepter ?

Cant recall ever seeing anything other than the boot for sale????

Obiously even :thumbsup: more obscure than I had first thought

Social source share

Guest Tommy

Another couple of rare 45's:

RUFUS WONDER & THE AUDITIONS - UNDER THE MOON (LANDO 181) not the iffy LENDO copy

LENNI GROVE - BYE BYE BABY (MUSETTE 65 -11 -A)

:thumbsup:

Hi Funky,

Do you need a copy of Lenni Groves? Drop me a Pm if you do as i have one for sale. :D

Tommy.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Hi Funky,

Do you need a copy of Lenni Groves? Drop me a Pm if you do as i have one for sale. :thumbsup:

Tommy.

Tommy, I already have one in my collection, thanks for the offer though, Mark @ funkyfeet. :D Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Guest Tommy

Tommy, I already have one in my collection, thanks for the offer though, Mark @ funkyfeet. :thumbsup:

Ok mate, no problems. If anyone else needs it then drop me a PM otherwise i'll put it up on Ebay over the next couple of weeks.

Social source share

Guest Tommy

Never heard of it Tommy. Is it any good?

Seriously, i think it's brilliant. I'm off out now but will post a sound clip tomorrow (i'll send one directly to you quinvy).

Tommy.

Social source share

And don't know, if already been discused, but how many copies of the Inspirations - No one else can take your place are in the known?

cheers,

Martin

Mick smith has one copy of this a one sided demo, which i'm told they all are..

Mal.C. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Butch has got it, he got it off ebay when everyone else totally missed it

It went for around £1000 did it not? So everyone did not miss it, they just did not bid high enough.

Social source share

Some records mentioned in this thread are not really that rare. If I have personally seen half a dozen or more copies for sale in the last 5 years I don't consider it RARE, very hard maybe, but not ultra rare. In the last few years it seems loads of previously unavailable big money records have become available. If I had had the money I could have bought a few copies each of Eddie Parker and Don Gardner in the last few years, and small piles of certain other titles. There are a lot of titles I can think of though that I have never seen or heard of being for sale anywhere. Speaking of Esther Grant btw, there is a copy on the current Anglo American list.

Social source share

Anybody else got a Prophets on Shrine, just interested to know, I know of 2 copies with collectors in the States, and I know Andy Rix had an acetate, but would be interested to know who else has a copy, and not hearsay.

Regards the Margaret Little - 3 known copies, anything esle is hearsay until proven differently.

Mick H played the Prophets at Prestatyn last year.

Social source share

We had that thread some time back .. I think the conclusion was more than 6 larom bakers , I nearly had Larom Baker off Sam for £75 at a Burnley Modern doo :thumbsup: Mr Ellis got it at the end of the day

sorry simon you are wrong on the la rom baker arthur and sam definitely feel their is less than 5 copies..certainly no more than 6..its easily one of the best rare modern records...uptempo funky and soulful....

Social source share

sorry simon you are wrong on the la rom baker arthur and sam definitely feel their is less than 5 copies..certainly no more than 6..its easily one of the best rare modern records...uptempo funky and soulful....

Dont know about that Tony . I'll find the thread :thumbsup: do you remember the coverup name , I bet Robin does ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!