Billy Butler/right Track/okeh 7245

• Replies 36
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

hi could someone please put a scan on here so i can try and tell the differene between boot and original and what to look out for,i no about the size 45 and vinyl/strene but what else to look for in a original.many thanks mick.

OKEH original issues always have a large 45 on the left hand side of the label with white OKEH logo at the top. The issues with small 45`s on the left hand side are genuine legal Columbia reissues though. Originals are stamped with ZSP in the dead wax (runout groove). Reissued for the second time again by Columbia in the late seventies with black lettering and ZSP 113544 in the runout.

Social source share

There a VINYL COUNTERFEITS..with dodgy stamped in matrix.

details as follows..

Counterfeit copies are VINYL. JZSP matrix is small staggered letters and reads J ZSP 113544 - 1C this stamped in matrix is untidy with staggered lettering. The original is STYRENE a with a stamped in larger level and evenly spaced matrix numbers & text, as used by Columbia.

Social source share

OKEH original issues always have a large 45 on the left hand side of the label with white OKEH logo at the top. The issues with small 45`s on the left hand side are genuine legal Columbia reissues though. Originals are stamped with ZSP in the dead wax (runout groove). Reissued for the second time again by Columbia in the late seventies with black lettering and ZSP 113544 in the runout.

still a bit confused,what do rekon on this than mate ebay no 260122799225.mick

Social source share

details as follows..

Counterfeit copies are VINYL. JZSP matrix is small staggered letters and reads J ZSP 113544 - 1C this stamped in matrix is untidy with staggered lettering. The original is STYRENE a with a stamped in larger level and evenly spaced matrix numbers & text, as used by Columbia.

or god its a mine field john

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Reissued for the second time again by Columbia in the late seventies with black lettering and ZSP 113544 in the runout.

Don't all of these copies play the instrumental backing tracks of RT and 'Boston Monkey' - a legitimate mistake made at the pressing plant when they pulled the wrong tape in error?

Never seen an 'all black' copy of the vocal(s) - although I don't suppose that I'd have been looking too hard back then, as I already had a Soul City and Okeh demo, and the LP, by the mid 70s...

Social source share

still a bit confused,what do rekon on this than mate ebay no 260122799225.mick

Mick,

Looks like a boot to me although it has a large 45 the matrix on the right hand side is just SP instead of ZSP for issues and JZSP for demo's, perhaps John will verify this.

Hope this helps, it certainly is a minefield but I have a bad feeling about this one and would stay clear of it.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Mick,

Looks like a boot to me although it has a large 45 the matrix on the right hand side is just SP instead of ZSP for issues and JZSP for demo's, perhaps John will verify this.

Hope this helps, it certainly is a minefield but I have a bad feeling about this one and would stay clear of it.

Regards

Alan

cheers alan i think your right mate, seller hasnt replied either.best mick.

Social source share

Supercorsa said:
Here's a scan of my copy, hope this helps.BILLY.jpg
Mick Reed said:
thanks for the scan supercorsa,hopefully im sorted.mick

Right Track - Billy Butler -

I happened to notice the JZSP on the Right Track Stock Copy, I have noticed this before on the Soul A Go-Go Stock Copies below.

The Thing is;

The one on the left has --------.-"JZSP115388-1D" Stamped in the Deadwax, and has ZSP115388 on the Label

Whereas the one on the right has "ZSP115388-1B" Stamped in the Deadwax, and has JZSP115388 on the Label

The complete opposite 

I have seen a White DEMO - But these are Stock Copies & the "J" DENOTES A demo normally ?  

Anyone else noticed this ?  Strange ain't it 

I'm not suggesting either are rare, from my experence, quantities of each type are available.

Social source share

The Thing is;

The one on the left has --------.-"JZSP115388-1D" Stamped in the Deadwax, and has ZSP115388 on the Label

Whereas the one on the right has "ZSP115388-1B" Stamped in the Deadwax, and has JZSP115388 on the Label

The complete opposite :thumbsup:

I have seen a White DEMO - But these are Stock Copies & the "J" DENOTES A demo normally ? not_i.gif

Anyone else noticed this ? :thumbup: Strange ain't it cool.gif

I'm not suggesting either are rare, from my experence, quantities of each type are available.

No. I think you need to get out more. :P:shades:

Social source share

No. I think you need to get out more. :thumbsup::shades:

You're Right, I do. :P:thumbup:

I was just looking at the JZSP, ZSP & the copy with SP. (Printers error?)

perhaps the first copies after the DEMO run and someone forgot to change the Matrix to ZSP.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

details as follows..

Yes, I got caught on this one some years back - you know how it is, several beers into the evening, and I found it in a box, a quick look at the matrix, yes, stamped so it must be original, can't fool me 'cos I've known about the boots for thirty years or so... :shades: wrong!! It's when you compare it to a proper one you realise that apart from being on vinyl, the label colour just doesn't look right.

Oh well, we all have those moments I suppose...

Hippo.

Social source share

You're Right, I do. :ohmy::lol:

I was just looking at the JZSP, ZSP & the copy with SP. (Printers error?)

perhaps the first copies after the DEMO run and someone forgot to change the Matrix to ZSP.

thanks for everbody's info, so what it seems to be JZSP ZSP on stock copy styrene and black lettering and white logo are original. :lol: ... i think

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Mick Reed said:
Hi Roger what do you think of this one? SP113544 on label,stamped ZSP113544-1B styrene. white Okeh, black lettering as you can see by scan.

thanks, Mick

Hi Mick

I have just been to have a look at the ebay listing 260122799225 ->

okeh_4-7245.jpg

same as your scan, SP113544 Matrix, but has Publisher Credits under the number.

The Stamped Matrix, Large 45 denotes Original, Thanks for posting this.

Looks like more variations and versions than we thought. :wicked:

Supercorsa said:
Here's a scan of my copy, hope this helps.BILLY.jpg

Social source share

Hi Mick

I have just been to have a look at the ebay listing 260122799225,

same as your scan, SP113544 Matrix, but has Publisher Credits under the number.

The Stamped Matrix, Large 45 denotes Original, Thanks for posting this.

Looks like more variations and versions than we thought. :wicked:

thanks for that roger,just bought this was a little concerned but now sure its genuine.best mick.

Social source share

Don't all of these copies play the instrumental backing tracks of RT and 'Boston Monkey' - a legitimate mistake made at the pressing plant when they pulled the wrong tape in error?

Never seen an 'all black' copy of the vocal(s) - although I don't suppose that I'd have been looking too hard back then, as I already had a Soul City and Okeh demo, and the LP, by the mid 70s...

Hi Mick

The Instrumental, as described by Tony.

Small 45 RPM ->--Okeh_4-7245a_I.jpg

Stamped Matrix ZSP113544-1F

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi Roger, here's another one, ZSP 115388 on label, stamped ZSP115388-1A in deadwax. Must be a few variations of labels and stamps. Regards, Mick.

vibrations.jpg

Hi Mick

Thanks so much for posting this, Label Variations such as these, I find Fascinating.

Always difficult to find which Variation is the rarer,

but just goes to show that just because one copy is different to another

doesn't always suggest foul play.

I can only assume that because Columbia pressed their own records, we are witnessing different times of promotion.

Possibly in the order 1A - 2A etc with the corresponding Label & credit layout.

Social source share

Guest Tom Walsh

Hi Mick

Thanks so much for posting this, Label Variations such as these, I find Fascinating.

Always difficult to find which Variation is the rarer,

but just goes to show that just because one copy is different to another

doesn't always suggest foul play.

I can only assume that because Columbia pressed their own records, we are witnessing different times of promotion.

Possibly in the order 1A - 2A etc with the corresponding Label & credit layout.

Out of interest Okeh 4-7257 Vibrations is the rarest Okeh picture sleeve!!!!!!!

Don't think JM was aware of it untill I informed him a few years ago, still consequentially he found me a copy!!

Tom :P

Social source share

Out of interest Okeh 4-7257 Vibrations is the rarest Okeh picture sleeve!!!!!!!

Don't think JM was aware of it untill I informed him a few years ago, still consequentially he found me a copy!!

Tom :P

Hi Tom

Wow, gotta say I've never seen the Picture Cover for this.

I have seen the Major Lance / Walter Jackson / Artistics etc, but not this one.

Social source share

Guest Tom Walsh

Hi Tom

Wow, gotta say I've never seen the Picture Cover for this.

I have seen the Major Lance / Walter Jackson / Artistics etc, but not this one.

The B side of "soul-go-go" is "and I loved her" was issued as a double sided demo with picture sleeve!!!!

Sorry unable to do scans but maybe john has a scan of my copy!

Social source share

The B side of "soul-go-go" is "and I loved her" was issued as a double sided demo with picture sleeve!!!!

Sorry unable to do scans but maybe john has a scan of my copy!

Hi Tom

Hope so, always good to hear that things like this Picture Sleeve exist.

I don't know if anyone has actually listed the Okeh stuff that did have a Picture Sleeve.

I'm not sure which was the first Okeh to have a Picture Sleeve,

but as already mentioned have seen quite a few of the Major Lance singles treated to this extra collectable Item.

Social source share

• 9 years later...
On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2007 at 16:54, 45cellar said:

Hi Mick

The Instrumental, as described by Tony.

Small 45 RPM ->--Okeh_4-7245a_I.jpg

Stamped Matrix ZSP113544-1F

I've got one of these but black OKeh - large 45, stamp looks good ZSP113544-1F

always thought it was a boot?

you can just about see the ZSP stamp bottom of picture

IMG_4717.JPG

Edited by billb
Social source share

11 hours ago, billb said:

I've got one of these but black OKeh - large 45, stamp looks good ZSP113544-1F always thought it was a boot? you can just about see the ZSP stamp bottom of picture

I had one of these and compared it with an original, I'm sure it's a boot or at least some sort of re-issue

Billy.JPG

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!