Copyright Issues On Posting Other Website Content

Recently have read a lot of sh*te over such things and as may be some confusion thought the below may be of interest

Obvisouly it is not the done thing if you start cutting and pasting full articles from one site to another without permission

however it is acceptable to post relevant clips of content under certain conditions

for those interested it is covered by the concept of "fair use"

dont want to get bogged down in this sort of thing unless needed, but have clipped a few words from a website

may be of interest

1. What is fair use?

In copyright law, there is a concept of fair use, also known as; free use, fair dealing, or fair practice.

Fair use sets out certain actions that may be carried out, but would not normally be regarded as an infringement of the work.

The idea behind this is that if copyright laws are too restrictive, it may stifle free speech, news reporting, or result in disproportionate penalties for inconsequential or accidental inclusion.
  2. What does fair use allow?

Under fair use rules, it may be possible to use quotations or excerpts, where the work has been made available to the public, (i.e. published). Provided that:
    • The use is deemed acceptable under the terms of fair dealing.
    • That the quoted material is justified, and no more than is necessary is included.
    • That the source of the quoted material is mentioned, along with the name of the author

clipped from

https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use

on posting links

the sites policy on posting links can be found in the terms of use

as long as the content fits in with terms of use , you can post whatever links you want

lost where chumps get the idea of links being somehow covered by copyright

on above

web copyright issues and such can be complicated

that complicated that do have to mention that the above is purely for interest and shouldn't be taken as a definte binding guide

or policy on here

however as long as members use common sense when posting clips of content or such then there shouldnt be a problem

feel free to ask if above not clear

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

For years now I've had a copyright statement on the SKM website.

Here it is:

Copyright Statement

I've been advised that I should have a proper copyright statement on the site to protect the work I've put into it.

I've thought about it, and decided that the following will be the copyright statement.

This website is about Soul music. About the sharing of knowledge so that we can all learn more about the music and the artists we love. If you want to use any of the information contained on this website, please do. The only thing I would ask is that you credit this website as the source of your information.

That should just about cover it.

Dave.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

For years now I've had a copyright statement on the SKM website.

Here it is:

Copyright Statement

I've been advised that I should have a proper copyright statement on the site to protect the work I've put into it.

I've thought about it, and decided that the following will be the copyright statement.

This website is about Soul music. About the sharing of knowledge so that we can all learn more about the music and the artists we love. If you want to use any of the information contained on this website, please do. The only thing I would ask is that you credit this website as the source of your information.

That should just about cover it.

Dave.

Seems sensible Dave. I used your Port discography in my blog and credited you, seems only fair at the end of the day, especially all the work you and Bosko have put into it.

Keep up the good work (both of you). thumbsup.gif

Matt

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!