Willie & The Mighty Magnificents On What Not To Wear

Guest uroffal

Guest uroffal

Don't ask me why I was watching it, but did anyone else hear Willie & The Mighty Magnificents - Check It Baby played on last night's episode of 'What Not To Wear'?

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Don't ask me why I was watching it, but did anyone else hear Willie & The Mighty Magnificents - Check It Baby played on last night's episode of 'What Not To Wear'?

Great tune.

Is that the Trinny and Suzannah programme? While in portugal for the footy a few years ago we got hooked on it. (Because it was in English with portugese subtitles.

The way they would criticise, and pull people to pieces was hysterical. If I said some of the things they said to the guests, I'd be drinmking through a straw for a month.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Great tune.

Is that the Trinny and Suzannah programme? While in portugal for the footy a few years ago we got hooked on it. (Because it was in English with portugese subtitles.

The way they would criticise, and pull people to pieces was hysterical. If I said some of the things they said to the guests, I'd be drinmking through a straw for a month.

Yeah, that's the one! They really do pull people to pieces and then dress them, supposedly, better (although the white suit, trainers they stuck on that bloke last night looked ridiculous).

Honestly thought my ears were going funny when I heard it Ceck It Baby playing though! I know a lot of these programmes use the odd tune here and there, but Check It Baby :thumbsup: - always loved the record too, never managed to get my hands on one though!

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

I once bumped into one of my ex-students in Fopp in Byres Road, and commented that had a handful of northern soul CDs in her mitt and was apparently headed for the cashdesk. She works for the beeb, and explained that junior producers are routinely sent out to find compilations of catchy three minute pop songs with "useable" titles. Their knowledge of northern soul from student unions and what have you leads them to believe this stuff is likely to fit the bill. It's not, alas, a matter of diehard soul fans infiltrating the meeja. :thumbsup:

That's one theory anyway.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

I once bumped into one of my ex-students in Fopp in Byres Road, and commented that had a handful of northern soul CDs in her mitt and was apparently headed for the cashdesk. She works for the beeb, and explained that junior producers are routinely sent out to find compilations of catchy three minute pop songs with "useable" titles. Their knowledge of northern soul from student unions and what have you leads them to believe this stuff is likely to fit the bill. It's not, alas, a matter of diehard soul fans infiltrating the meeja. :thumbsup:

Blimey, I wish the Students' Union where I work had a knowledge of Northern Soul (I've met only two people in 16 years that know what it is!)

Reckon the theory is about right though, particularly, as you say, the usable titles/hooks, but it is strange the ones that end up being used, I'm sure I heard the Delites 'Lover' once on Wife Swap too!

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Also check out the other side.........."Take my love".........not as Northern as Check it baby but well worth a listen. :thumbsup:

Yes, also a great choon and available cheaply as a white demo.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Blimey, I wish the Students' Union where I work had a knowledge of Northern Soul (I've met only two people in 16 years that know what it is!)

When I (first) went to Uni in Edinburgh it was the preserve of the Art School union which played a mix of indie/ punk/ ska/ 60s/ northern (and still does as far as I know), so still a bit "underground".. didn't know what it was at the time though!

BBC2's cookery programmes seem to be keen on soul/ northern as well.

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

When I (first) went to Uni in Edinburgh it was the preserve of the Art School union which played a mix of indie/ punk/ ska/ 60s/ northern (and still does as far as I know), so still a bit "underground".. didn't know what it was at the time though!

BBC2's cookery programmes seem to be keen on soul/ northern as well.

Another Scot? I thought I recognised the accent! :thumbsup:

Yep, and I think it's those sorts of arty clubs student union DJs pick up ideas for their sets. Glasgow had (and hopefully still has) Andrew Devine playing northern tunes in the art school union, and Goodfoot used to be in the Glasgow Cally union as well. That was where I first got an ear for "Somebody's always trying"!

In my student days it was all the Smiths. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest rachel

Another Scot? I thought I recognised the accent! :thumbsup:

Yep, and I think it's those sorts of arty clubs student union DJs pick up ideas for their sets. Glasgow had (and hopefully still has) Andrew Devine playing northern tunes in the art school union, and Goodfoot used to be in the Glasgow Cally union as well. That was where I first got an ear for "Somebody's always trying"!

In my student days it was all the Smiths. :unsure:

Yep, still has as far as I know :yes::thumbsup:

Just off to read all my posts to see if I type in a Scottish accent... :thumbup::wub:

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Guest johnm

Yep, still has as far as I know :unsure::thumbsup:

Just off to read all my posts to see if I type in a Scottish accent... :thumbsup::thumbup:

och ey the noo ... wha' mak's ye think I'm Scottish........... look at my Avatar

Gourock to Dunoon ferry............

Social source share

Never understood that programme.

How could people allow themselves

to be mauled by two fat trouts with

absolutely no dress sense?

also pretty pointless exporting the show,

what with different attitudes to what

is construed as dress sense. incidentally,

in continental europe brits are considered

lousy dressers. good clothes at the top end

but no idea how to use them seems to be

the concensus.

Social source share

Tis' true! I know a guy who works for the Beeb, he's a bit of a greboe, and he samples Jr.Walker & all stars tracks (sax solo bits)for use on some of their programmes.

However, I know some guys in the business (TV) are well into Northern & Ska. When you think that most of the producers are now our age group (30s/40s) it stands to reason really.

'Wife Swap' (last years anyway) was full of Northern, and that geezer 'The City Gardner' had a Northern background score.

Look at the Ska in the ads too!

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Also check out the other side.........."Take my love".........not as Northern as Check it baby but well worth a listen. :thumbsup:

I think they're both great sides, and I can't for the life of me decide which I like best! How much is a 45 issue copy then ? (the careering intro to "Check It Baby" reminds me of Little Richie for some reason...)

Social source share

Tis' true! I know a guy who works for the Beeb, he's a bit of a greboe, and he samples Jr.Walker & all stars tracks (sax solo bits)for use on some of their programmes.

However, I know some guys in the business (TV) are well into Northern & Ska. When you think that most of the producers are now our age group (30s/40s) it stands to reason really.

'Wife Swap' (last years anyway) was full of Northern, and that geezer 'The City Gardner' had a Northern background score.

Look at the Ska in the ads too!

Last nights "f word" (Gordon Ramsay) featured Edwin Starrs "Time"

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Last nights "f word" (Gordon Ramsay) featured Edwin Starrs "Time"

I thought "funk" was the 'F-word' on here... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!