Sad News - Ray Pollard

jazzyjas

Hey everyone,

I just ran across some pretty sad news while surfing the Soulful Detroit web site:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My name is Pat Covington and I am the cousin of Ray Pollard, best known for his hit, Darling, Take Me Back I'm Sorry. My friend Nosey was kind enough to post this for me.

It is with great sadness that I announce his passing. He lost his valiant battle with cancer on Wednesday, January 26th in Las Vegas. Although we will miss him, his music will live on in the hearts and minds of true R&B lovers everywhere.

His funeral will be in Las Vegas on Tuesday, February 1, 2005.

( https://www.soulfuldetroit.com/forum/ )

All I can say is at least he got some deserved recognition before he died and his great sides will live on.

R.I.P. Ray...

KTF

Jas

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hey everyone,

I just ran across some pretty sad news while surfing the Soulful Detroit web site:

My name is Pat Covington and I am the cousin of Ray Pollard, best known for his hit, Darling, Take Me Back I'm Sorry. My friend Nosey was kind enough to post this for me.

It is with great sadness that I announce his passing. He lost his valiant battle with cancer on Wednesday, January 26th in Las Vegas. Although we will miss him, his music will live on in the hearts and minds of true R&B lovers everywhere.

His funeral will be in Las Vegas on Tuesday, February 1, 2005.

( https://www.soulfuldetroit.com/forum/ )

All I can say is at least he got some deserved recognition before he died and his great sides will live on.

R.I.P. Ray...

KTF

Jas

link

:shhh: very sad news indeed

Social source share

He was a lovely unassuming man who loved to laugh. When he was on at the 100 Club I had one of the original Drifters, who lived in London, ringing me up and begging to reserve him a table! Ray was his ultimate musical hero and he couldn't believe he was going to be singing a set down Oxford Street with a full band. The sound guy had problems because his voice was so soft but exquisite. It was subtle and emotional rather than full of histrionics like many today.

Social source share

This Time is my favourite Shrine record.

The Drifter is my favourite ender.

Never heard him live unfortunately and now I never will.

Very sad.

Social source share

One of the scenes great artists.  HAd the pleasure of seeing him live few times.  His Yarmouth performance early 90's was brilliant.

R.I.P.

link

Remember Ray's performance like yesterday, correct me if I'm wrong but Eddie Parker, Garland Green and I think Pat Lewis were on at the same time?

D

Edited by Gringo
Social source share

Remember Ray's performance like yesterday, correct me if I'm wrong but Eddie Parker, Garland Green and I think Pat Lewis were on at the same time?

D

link

Just dug the flyers out.....

Should have been Jackie Day, Ben E King, Tams, Tommy Hunt, 22/23/24 March 1991.

but later changed to Ray, Eddie Parker, Lorraine Chandler, Pat Lewis, Jackie Day and Garland Green...what a weekend :yes: Pretty sure either Lorraine Chandler or Pat Lewis didn't come over due to illness :shhh:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Just dug the flyer out.....

Jackie Day, Ben E King, Tams, Tommy Hunt, 22/23/24 March 1991.

link

just spoke to the misses, she sez it may have been 89/90 yarmouth weekender?

I distinctively remember Eddie Parker where a Stetson and Garland Green (real tall guy) wearing a white suit or am I dreamingggggggggg :shhh:

Edited by Gringo
Social source share

just spoke to the misses, she sez it may have been 89/90 yarmouth weekender?

I distinctively remember Eddie Parker where a Stetson and Garland Green (real tall guy) wearing a white suit or am I dreamingggggggggg :shhh:

link

Def 1991. The first Northern Weekender at Yarmouth was 1990 featuring Chuck Jackson, Gene Chandler, HB Barnum, Eddie Holman and JJ Barnes. The ones previous were Motown. The flyers I have are on the RSF under memorabilia.

Social source share

Knew one didn't come over Ady, memory not what it used to be  whistling.gif

link

WE WILL BE DOING SOMETHING AS A TRIBUTE TO RAY AT PRESTATYN, CERTAINLY ON THE RADIO MAYBE IN ONE OF THE ROOMS.

A GREAT MAN EVEN GREATER PERFORMER , WE WERE VERY LUCKY TO GET RAY AT THE FIRST PRESTATYN, HE GAVE A SUPERB PERFORMANCE TO THE 900 OR SO WHO WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO SEE HIM, WE HAD PLANNED TO BRING HIM OVER AGAIN. NON OF US ARE GETTING ANY YOUNGER, SEE THESE ARTISTS WHILE YOU CAN !!!!

ROB & KAREN WIGLEY

Social source share

One of the scenes great artists.  HAd the pleasure of seeing him live few times.  His Yarmouth performance early 90's was brilliant.

R.I.P.

link

Truely memorable night Chalky, I can still see the look in his eye, as the crowd warmed to "The Drifter" I'm sure he stopped a moment and the whole room carried on! He was gifted with one of the finest voices around IMO I loved his earlyer stuff with the Wanderers, A big fav of mine is the stunning ballad, "After He Breaks Your Heart" stuck it on here as my tribute to the great man. not Northern, just dam good IMO

steve

Social source share

big respect to the man,my personal favorite of the soulscene,i also had the honour of seeing him in the early nineties at gt yarmouth,been a young 17 yr old,he was very impressed when he signed my "its a sad thing"demo,great bloke....will be sadly missed.

Social source share

Very sad news. Ray Pollard was one of the greatest singers I ever heard. I remember reviewing a Wanderers record in Shades Of Soul and saying he had tonsils of gold, but not the tawdry metal sort, but the bottomless pure gold of midsummer sunsets. That's how Ray's voice made me feel, and for years people would tell me that they felt the same way. Ray's records are in so many people's all-time favourites lists, and deservedly so. Total respect.

Nick

Social source share

extremely sad news.................

i too had the honoured pleasure to see and hear him perform at the 100 club in '91. I was blown away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(i swear he had tears in his eyes at one point, think it was during the drifter, but not 100%).

His music will forever be in all our hearts and souls!

Rest in "soulful" peace, Ray................

Carl.

Social source share

I loved his earlyer stuff with the Wanderers, A big fav of mine is the stunning ballad, "After He Breaks Your Heart" stuck it on here as my tribute to the great man. not Northern, just dam good IMO

steve

link

Got a spare of this on UK United Artists for £40 if anyone's interested.

Paul

SITC

Social source share

Very sad news.  Ray Pollard was one of the greatest singers I ever heard.  I remember reviewing a Wanderers record in Shades Of Soul and saying he had tonsils of gold, but not the tawdry metal sort, but the bottomless pure gold of midsummer sunsets.  That's how Ray's voice made me feel, and for years people would tell me that they felt the same way.  Ray's records are in so many people's all-time favourites lists, and deservedly so.  Total respect.

Nick

link

Remember that revue! I hadn't heard "Somebody Elses Sweetheart" before, but after ya revue I tracked a copy down, (with a revue like that I bloody had too!) :( an I wasn't disapointed! :huh:

Steve

Social source share

I remember first hearing the Drifter and Walk with a Winner (GM) from a compilation LP, and having been used to the normal 100mph stompers, they threw my conception and definition of Northern Soul. For the better of course.

Sad loss again of another Quality singer who defined putting your soul into singing.

Ed

Social source share

Very sad news.  Ray Pollard was one of the greatest singers I ever heard.  I remember reviewing a Wanderers record in Shades Of Soul and saying he had tonsils of gold, but not the tawdry metal sort, but the bottomless pure gold of midsummer sunsets.  That's how Ray's voice made me feel, and for years people would tell me that they felt the same way.  Ray's records are in so many people's all-time favourites lists, and deservedly so.  Total respect.

Nick

link

What a beautiful post, so well put Nick. ranting_1.gif

Colin

Social source share

Was fortunate enough to see and hear Ray Pollard at Prestatyn along with my 11-year-old son, Joe, we spoke to Ray as he sat in the gallery watching the dancers and he posed for photo's, one of which takes pride of place on my music room wall, the photo is of Ray Pollard and Joe Miller, both hugging and smiling, a lasting memory for us.

Bless

Social source share

Guest MonkeyMod

Ray's 100 Club gig in 1991 remains one of the greatest gigs I've ever seen. The sheer emotion in there that night was incredible.

There's not been many times when I've wanted to give an old bloke a hug - but that was one!

In the end I just asked him to sign the setlist that I swiped from the stage.

Cheers Ray. God bless.

Mark

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Danny Romenello's "GROUP HARMONY REVIEW" on February 12th included a great tribute to Ray Pollard, Clarence Bassett, David Lerchey, and Alton Bradley, plus a salute to Bronx vocal groups.

Listen to the archived WFUV show (windows media player) on https://wfuv.venaca.com/archive/4633.asx

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a radio show that goes out weekly from New York. The show features original recordings from the 1940s and '50s and occasional live performances and interviews with the singers who made them. You can view more arched files at:-

https://wfuv.venaca.com/cgi-bin/colinker.cg...100818474640758

Social source share

D

link

Very sad news indeed. The Drifter and Sad Thing were 2 of the very first records that gripped me, when I was getting into northern in the mid-late 80s.

Gringo, you're right - his performance at Yarmouth was magic - he was in a full tuxedo - very smart and his voice dripped emotion. Yep, Eddie Parker was there (in stetson!), Garland Green (in white suit!) and also Lorraine Chandler - some line up fair play. When Ray did Drifter the place went mad, especially when the break comes in near the end and he belts out the emotion - class. Sad loss. I'll have to try and dig out the photos from that weekend - I've got them at home somewhere, framed, with the flyer and with all the autographs.

RIP sir.

Rich

Social source share

Very sad news indeed. The Drifter and Sad Thing were 2 of the very first records that gripped me, when I was getting into northern in the mid-late 80s.

Gringo, you're right - his performance at Yarmouth was magic - he was in a full tuxedo - very smart and his voice dripped emotion. Yep, Eddie Parker was there (in stetson!), Garland Green (in white suit!) and also Lorraine Chandler - some line up fair play. When Ray did Drifter the place went mad, especially when the break comes in near the end and he belts out the emotion - class. Sad loss. I'll have to try and dig out the photos from that weekend - I've got them at home somewhere, framed, with the flyer and with all the autographs.

RIP sir.

Rich

link

Got the video of that...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!