Frank Popp - Fake or Fab ?

Guest Kolla

"Breakaway" by Frank Popp Ensemble is top of many play lists at the moment.

I think the group are brilliant considering the record was made THIS year. There's also a great version of "You've been gone too long" on the B-side.

Having spoken to others who have heard them, opinions range from "***king fantastic" to "a slur on 60s soul".

Check out the audio samples on their site:-

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

YEAH. QUITE A CATCHY TUNE ALTHOUGH YOU CAN TELL IT IS A RECENT RECORDING, BET THAT'LL UPSET THE APPLECART WITH SOME 'NOSE IN THE AIR IT'S NOT WORTH MORE THAN £100 DJ'S'!! CHECK OUT OTHER STUFF THEY HAVE DONE ON WWW.SOULCLUB.ORG - THERES ANOTHER CATCHY NUMBER ON THERE WITH A FAMILIAR BEGINING (I.E. EDWARD HAMILTON 'I'M GONNA LOVE YOU' RIFT!!) JUST AS GOOD AS IF NOT BETTER THAN 'BREAKAWAY'. WE NOW HAVE : -!!!!!

FRANK POPP - BREAKAWAY

STEVE KARMEN - BREAKAWAY

TONI BASIL - BREAKAWAY

LINDA LLOYD - BREAKAWAY

ERNIE BUSH - BREAKAWAY

ANYONE ADD ANY OTHERS ??????

Social source share

That would be Tracy Ullman and her cover of 'Breakaway' by Irma Thomas(?) - memory failing me this morning. Oh God! I've just admitted to knowing it - damm :-0

TheBigO

Social source share

I think we should all stop being so particular, as we've heard so many times "its whats in the groove that counts", this track was played twice at Stoke last Saturday to a full dance floor, also try to listen to another track by Frank Popp "Hip teans don't wear blue jeans" played a lot on scooter rallies, but is an excellent dancer, but is shunned by some of the more "popular big named Dj's"

Peter

Social source share

Gene Robertson played this to me down the phone last night ( I presume it's the same one)& apologies if this has been mentioned previously & correct me if I'm wrong but I'd bet all my Simon Soussan bootlegs that it's the same backing track to Soul Communicators - These lonely nights

Dave G SITC

Social source share

Thanks for dropping me right in it Dave, the good mate that you are........lol!!! (only joking really, Dave!).

Now, I've just played both tracks side by side, and true enough, Frank Poop has sampled "Those Lonely Nights" by the Soul Communicators on "Breakaway". Dave alerted me to this during a phone call yesterday night, after hearing "Breakaway" for the first time. Not only has a legendary title been plagiarised, but also the backing track of a lovely ultra-rarity has been stolen!!! Wonder if the BPI know about Frank P and his antics? Furthermore, I doubt very much that sampling would be welcome with open arms on the scene.

So I guess these findings satisfactorily answer the title of the thread........apologies for any tears, disappointment or shattered dreams of it being the best new sound of 2003!!! Fake or Fab? Make up your own minds.....I know I have!

Sincerely,

Gene Robertson

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!