What's Acceptable In A Dj Box?

Guest Matt Male

A Dj's job is to entertain with IMO origianl vinyl.  The DJ should also IMO have his own identity and style and not be a lazy sod playing the same as many other DJ's.  There are 1000's of good records that can be played on this scene so god knows why most DJ's choose to play the same stuff week in week out. 

They don't have to be expensive, look arouond and you'll find plenty of good cheapies that don't get played, many cheaper than Petes boots.

link

NICE ONE.............

AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED:

1. IF THE VENUE IS PLAYING CDS THEN IT IS NOT PART OF THE SCENE.

2. IF A DJ IS PLAYING CDS THEN HE SHOULD BE SHOT.

3.IF THE DJ IS NOT BEING CREATIVE HE SHOULD NOT BE TRYING TO BE A DJ!

4.IF HE CANNOT PLAY FROM THE HEART THEN HE SHOULD GO HOME AND STAY THERE.

5. IF HE CANT PLAY A POUND RECORD THAT IS BRILLIANT THEN HE SHOULD NOT BE ON THE SCENE!

6.IF HE PLAYS 20 UNKNOWNS BACK TO BACK HE SHOULD BE REMOVED.

7. IF HE PLAYS 20 TIRED OLDIES BACK TO BACK HE SHOULD BE REMOVED.

8. IF HE IS PRETENDING TO BE A DJ THEN HE SHOULD AT LEAST LEARN HOW TO DJ

9. IF HE DOES NOT KNOW A RECORD THEN HE SHOULD HAVE THE BALLS TO ASK SOMEBODY WHO DOES!

10.IMPORTANT-IF YOU HAVE NOT GOT A HISTORY THEN YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NOT GOT A FUTURE!

Social source share

• Replies 176
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

NICE ONE.............

5. IF HE CANT PLAY A POUND RECORD THAT IS BRILLIANT THEN HE SHOULD NOT BE ON THE SCENE!

9. IF HE DOES NOT KNOW A RECORD THEN HE SHOULD HAVE THE BALLS TO ASK SOMEBODY WHO DOES!

10.IMPORTANT-IF YOU HAVE NOT GOT A HISTORY THEN YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NOT GOT A FUTURE!

link

Was this included in Steve Mannions contract? shhh.gif

Shane

only joking Steve. You should get more bookings mate but I have seen the olympic torch go out more than you!

Social source share

Lot's of good constructive points being raised here and i'm glad to say not too much slagging off, now cards firmly on the table here but in the defence of all DJ's on the scene and i'm sure what i'm about to say most of them will agree with me.

The collecting of in the main rare hard to find Soul records is without question an obsession and very quickly takes over your life, the desire to chase and collect the top tunes is a natural instinct and if you can develop your own style along the way then this often makes a good DJ into a great one, to be pioneers and inovators of the music you first and fourmost need to have a passion for it and also a very good ear, yes there may or may not be trophy collector DJ's out there who desire the big ticket items and i can only respect these guys and girls who firstly have the desire and the money to do this. For my money the best DJ's are the ones who can blend the ultra rare with the little cheapies as long as the quality is there.

From my own point of view and far be it from me to blow my own trumpet but i feel some way qualified to comment from behind the decks as it were, believe me i sometimes finish a spot and feel i've played safe, it's like i'm exspected to play X,Y,Z records in a spot and like so many others i go through the motions some of the time, but oh boy when you play your true spot a reflection of your own taste, style and depth of collection you can take the night and yourself into another dimension, as far as being a teacher of someone who educates others on the scene at the venues or rather on the dance floor i feel that people should learn and teach themselves as we do in life on the type and style of records that they collect or come to think of it play. Picking up pointers, information etc. along the way from collectors and DJ's is what i've certainly done over the years and i thank them for it.

Being a DJ on this scene is let me tell you a huge honour and at the end of the day most of us are just normal people with a few good records who like to get up there and try and entertain, of course there is competition between DJ's, rare records and who's got the big ticket items are fully known and respected.

Some people may think it's easy to get up there and just play records, but as already mentioned it's about blending a set to make it flow and balance, ok it ain't rocket science but there is a little bit of an art to it, i've done some stinkers in my time from my own point of view and all i can do is try and improve the next time.

We have the edge now in 2005 of being in the best possible place musically with some four decades of Northern Soul club culture behind us, should we not be fine tuning and selecting the best possible playlist's and if there are good up and coming DJ's who want to contribute then i for one embrace and welcome that with open arms, as for the re issue thing as Mr Rimmer said many of us are from the original only background and we can't change that, how someone else sets there stall out is very much their own affair, unissued masters is a totally seperate issue and i believe we should champion NEW quality material from what ever format as it can only be good for the development of the scene and it's music.

Yes ego's play a part in the mix, yet is it wrong to be proud of the records you own, i think it says a little of the person who want's to try and do the best he or she can but it just so happens that the tools of a Northern Soul DJ are often very hard to find, not often seen, very rare and big ticket records, not all but in most cases.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Curious as to what you mean by this.....?

link

I think it means that it looks odd if you post up a list of 9 statements in making a point - so here we can observe a somewhat curious item to round it up to 10...

shhh.gif

Hammy

Social source share

Big Daddy, i think that short break has done you good. i remember when you used to blow your top in discussions like this. now you seem to get your point across without all the steam! shhh.gif

See you sheridans on saturday! :wub:

Shane

Social source share

No problem soulsmith come and see us down at sheridans sometime,4 excellent nites to choose from,Soultown Lifeline Flipside and the new chicago detroit allniters,

all four promotions offering a different nite,in what has to be one of the most laid back clubs on the scene.I do hope bigboy wasnt implying by his last comment that if you havent been around the scene for years,that you wont ever succseed other wise the scenes dead in the water.Would be helpful if you could expand on this.

Social source share

No problem soulsmith come and see us down at sheridans sometime,4 excellent nites to choose from,Soultown Lifeline Flipside and the new chicago detroit allniters,

all four promotions offering a different nite,in what has to be one of the most laid back clubs on the scene.I do hope bigboy wasnt implying by his last comment that if you havent been around the scene for years,that you wont ever succseed other wise the scenes dead in the water.Would be helpful if you could expand on this.

link

i will back you up on sheridans. i wasnt the biggest fan of the place in the early days as the events were a bit hit or miss. The place seems much more together now with quality promotions most weeks. The actual appearence of the venue has improved too. I will be there again on saturday. Nice one Andy!

Shane

Social source share

The point about not having a past smacks of the sort of complacent and entirely misplaced elitism which is in danger of strangling the scene: an old-boy network pulling rank on anyone with fresh ideas or some degree of optimism that the scene could be anything but an amusement park filled with ageing 'teds'.

In the past there have been successive waves of people who aren't scared to challenge the status quo or change direction in order to go forward.

I sometimes wonder if this can ever happen again on the scale of, say, Stafford.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

link

IF YOU HAVE NO HISTORY YOU HAVE NO FUTURE.

LETS PUT THIS IN CONTEXT NOW I HAVE CALMED DOWN, LETS SAY YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND TODAY IF YOU WERE NOT AROUND YESTERDAY. YESTERDAY IS HISTORY - YOUR HISTORY. APPLY THIS TO DEEJAYING AND HOPEFULLY YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN. IF YOU PLAY A RECORD IT MAY HAVE A PERSONAL MEANING, WHICH WOULD LEAD YOU TO A TIME AND PLACE IN YOUR MEMORY.THIS IS YOUR HISTORY WHICH IS PART OF THE SCENES HISTORY.FROM THIS MEMORY WOULD LEAD A THREAD AS TO WHY THAT RECORD WAS PLAYED ENABLING YOU TO ADD MORE THREADS WHILST DEEJAYING. ALL RELATE TO HISTORY AND THE ART OF PUTTING ALL THE THREADS TOGETHER, IE IF YOU HAVE MORE HISTORY YOU SHOULD IN REALITY BE ABLE TO PUT MORE THREADS TOGETHER THROUGH KNOWLEDGE, EVENTS, MEMORIES. THIS PARTIALLY GOES TO MAKING A GOOD DJ, BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THE HUMAN ELEMENT, THE VIBE, THE BEAT, THE HEARTBEAT.

YOU CAN GIVE THREE DEEJAYS A SPOT WITH THE SAME BOX OF RECORDS, ALL THREE WILL DO DIFFERENT SPOTS, SOME WILL DIVE IN AND PLAY, BUT MAYBE ONE WILL READ THE BOX BASED ON HIS HISTORY AND KNOWLEDGE AND GIVE YOU A BRILLIANT SPOT-TODAY-THE FUTURE.

SHIT I'VE GOT TO SEE MY ANALYST...................

BUT, WAIT A MINUTE AS YOU THINK OF AN EXAMPLE, A DJ WHO HAS BEEN ON THE SCENE FOR YEARS-YOU WONDER HE'S CRAP, WELL JUST MAYBE HE HAS NEVER HAD THE TALENT. I KNOW WHEN DECIDED TO GIVE THE SCENE A REST FOR A FEW YEARS ONE WELL KNOWN OLDIES DJ IN PARTICULAR ALWAYS STARTED HIS SPOT WITH THE SAME RECORD, SIXTEEN YEARS LATER IN A TV DOCUMENTARY HE PLAYED HIS SPOT ON MY TV IN MY LOUNGE AND GUESS WHAT HE STARTED WITH THE SAME RECORD................

Social source share

==========

Have I read this right? DJs are the leaders on the scene? Is that how they see themselves as innovators, and teachers? So those of us who dance are in fact paying homage to them......Christ, if any of the DJ's have really put themselves on that pedestal, then they'd best have another look at themselves.

Winnie:-)

link

Maybe things have changed these days, with the ease at which you can gain access to the music by the internet and the multitude of cd's, but to me it was the DJ/Collector who introduced us to something new. There is of course those who put themselves above the music, but I feel they are few. As a collector I'm all for "Innovators" and "Teachers" but I never look up at pedestals! and the only "homage" I believe in is to the music. So "Player, Play On" as Mr Rickett said! shhh.gif

Steve

Social source share

Winnie. I think you've mis-characterised my post. I never used the word 'educate'; you did. I used the term 'spread knowledge' in the sense of widening the appreciation of great, under-appreciated music: in my eyes (though probably not yours, it seems) the entire ethos of the scene since the year dot.

The jocks I called the innovators (I guess most of you will recognise who they are, I won't name them) are probably the last people who subscribe to the deejay-on-a-pedestal mentality.

The more forward thinking deejays will all eventually end up questioning the concept of playing 'requested-oldies-only' in big halls for money-making interests; the scene will end up revolving around the same 200 or so cast-iron-certainty-oldies and disappear up its own fundament.

link

=======

Gareth,

You started your post with......

---------

I think Steve G raises a quite fundamental point about deejays being either 'leaders' or 'followers'.

From the majority of playlists I see these days it can be surmised that the majority of jocks at both local soul nights and quite major allnighters are quite content to be the former. The number of innovators can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

----------------

As the two options were 'leaders' and 'followers, I took it when you said former, that you were saying 'leaders'. That is how it reads I think. I don't believe there are leaders and followers on the scene, because that is clearly going down the road of in house politics, something the scene has suffered from since the year dot. If one faction of the scene wants to put itself to the fore, ie: the DJs, then the scene will once again disappear up it's own ar*e I'm afraid.

From a dancers perspective, I don't need to be educated, and whether you say educated or spreading knowledge they basically mean the same thing. Because a DJ is playing a new sound, it DOESN'T necessarily mean it's a good record. It usually means that the DJ thinks its good....but we all have different tastes....thankfully, and all have our own minds. I am not duty bound to accept a new sound simply cos it's new, I will accept a new sound in my own mind if I also think it's good. I would like to think I understand the ethic of the scene, but if you say I don't then maybe I should just tug my forelock and accept your view, that you've based on my two posts on the subject.

I do know some of the "Inovators" as you call them, on the scene, and they are approachable, so much so, that if they play something new and I don't like it, I feel I can say it to them. Neither of us are right or wrong, because as I mentioned earlier, we think for ourselves. But to me that has also been part of the scene since the year dot. From a dancers perspective, if I don't like a record, then I won't dance to it......if you're gonna keep championing it, and play it every time you're out etc, it's not really gonna change my mind. You cannot make a record good to someone else simply by playing it frequently. But perhaps the impatience you accuse some customers of shhh.gif

I have never suggested that we (dancers) don't owe a debt of gratitude to the DJs and collectors who find and play records old and new, but perhaps rather naively I think that it cuts both ways. Cos if we don't dance, what are you left with? Dancers/customers may not have the collections, but they do know what they like, and to down class them, is IMO both foolish and rude.

It is basically a dance scene, one which we all want to enjoy in our own way, why not leave it like that, and forget about point scoring.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

NICE ONE.............

link

Notice that John's 10 Commandments do not mention that you have to play original vinyl anywhere.

This is a guy who I think I would easily put in my top 3 dj's of all time.

Though that might be something to do with 'history'

Social source share

LETS PUT THIS IN CONTEXT NOW I HAVE CALMED DOWN, LETS SAY YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND TODAY IF YOU WERE NOT AROUND YESTERDAY. YESTERDAY IS HISTORY - YOUR HISTORY. APPLY THIS TO DEEJAYING AND HOPEFULLY YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN. IF YOU PLAY A RECORD IT MAY HAVE A PERSONAL MEANING, WHICH WOULD LEAD YOU TO A TIME AND PLACE IN YOUR MEMORY.THIS IS YOUR HISTORY WHICH IS PART OF THE SCENES HISTORY.FROM THIS MEMORY WOULD LEAD A THREAD AS TO WHY THAT RECORD WAS PLAYED ENABLING YOU TO ADD MORE THREADS WHILST DEEJAYING. ALL RELATE TO HISTORY AND THE ART OF PUTTING ALL THE THREADS TOGETHER, IE IF YOU HAVE MORE HISTORY YOU SHOULD IN REALITY BE ABLE TO PUT MORE THREADS TOGETHER THROUGH KNOWLEDGE, EVENTS, MEMORIES. THIS PARTIALLY GOES TO MAKING A GOOD DJ, BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THE HUMAN ELEMENT, THE VIBE, THE BEAT, THE HEARTBEAT.

YOU CAN GIVE THREE DEEJAYS A SPOT WITH THE SAME BOX OF RECORDS, ALL THREE WILL DO DIFFERENT SPOTS, SOME WILL DIVE IN AND PLAY, BUT MAYBE ONE WILL READ THE BOX BASED ON HIS HISTORY AND KNOWLEDGE AND GIVE YOU A BRILLIANT SPOT-TODAY-THE FUTURE.

link

Hmmm... interesting theory but I'm afraid some of us didn't have the option of being around to hear where records were first/ most often played. Of course your personal associations are going to affect how you feel about hearing a record, but they are just that - personal, and different for everyone. Not knowing the 'scene' history or association of a record is not always a bad thing IMO - you play it simply because you believe it's a good record. Not to say I'm not interested in hearing who played what when and where but I don't think it's a high priority when DJing unless you're doing an [insert whatever venue] set. Much more important IMO to put together a set that fits and flows musically.. just 'sounds right' to you.

Social source share

Was this included in Steve Mannions contract?  whistling.gif

Shane

only joking Steve. You should get more bookings mate but I have seen the olympic torch go out more than you!

link

:wicked::shhh::lol:

Social source share

SHIT I'VE GOT TO SEE MY ANALYST...................

BUT, WAIT A MINUTE AS YOU THINK OF AN EXAMPLE, A DJ WHO HAS BEEN ON THE SCENE FOR YEARS-YOU WONDER HE'S CRAP, WELL JUST MAYBE HE HAS NEVER HAD THE TALENT. I KNOW WHEN DECIDED TO GIVE THE SCENE A REST FOR A FEW YEARS ONE WELL KNOWN OLDIES DJ IN PARTICULAR ALWAYS STARTED HIS SPOT WITH THE SAME RECORD, SIXTEEN YEARS LATER IN A TV DOCUMENTARY HE PLAYED HIS SPOT ON MY TV IN MY LOUNGE AND GUESS WHAT HE STARTED WITH THE SAME RECORD................

link

Cause Your Mine ?

Just a guess whistling.gif

Social source share

Perhaps in the point number 10 about having no history, BB means that if you win the lottery, buy a load of Shrine, etc rareities it would not make you a DJ. If you don't have a history on the scene, you will soon find out that playing a bunch a rare sounds one after the other will not make a happy bunch of punters and will not turn you into a "Northern/rare" Soul expert.

Social source share

Perhaps in the point number 10 about having no history, BB means that if you win the lottery, buy a load of Shrine, etc rareities it would not make you a DJ.  If you don't have a history on the scene, you will soon find out that playing a bunch a rare sounds one after the other will not make a happy bunch of punters and will not turn you into a "Northern/rare" Soul expert.

link

Very good explanation Paul and totally spot on.

Social source share

imo attending a 'nighter and hearing the boot of a favourite track i could never afford/even find, is fine by me..........just to hear it in a great atmosphere with fellow appreciaters is the important thing.

If, however, like me, you are an avid collector, it is addictive, and i will try to get originals wherever possible. I have settled for 2nd pressings/boots though, for those tracks that i've never been able to find(or could never afford)and am just as happy to have those in my collection, as with originals.

I guess it's "each to their own" at the end of the day...............

Carl.

Social source share

link

Having read & re-read this post, I do understand that Knowledge of what you are playing is very important. I have nothing but respect and admiration for people such as John and the like. whistling.gif

But I, like Rachel, didn't really have a say as to when we arrived in this World of ours.

People of different generations will read that post differently. Paul R & Pete S, I fully understand where you are coming from and the points you are making.

Not being born until 1974 technically means I have no history on the scene.

It seems even crap DJ's can stay on the scene because they were there during the halcyon days.

That post doesn't really offer any encouragement to those of us who don't have to reach for the 'Just For Beards' just yet, does it? :wicked:

Jamie :shhh:

Social source share

Jamie, do you think we should start some sort of young soulies support group? whistling.gif We could talk about what it was like to NOT go to the Wheel, the Torch, Wigan, Stafford, Shotts etc etc :wicked:

Social source share

It seems even crap DJ's can stay on the scene because they were there during the halcyon days.

Jamie,

Plenty of crap DJ,s are still on the scene purely for an 'I went to the Torch ' etc

reason. Never added anything at all.

They should never have got oldies spots in the seventies, let alone thirty years later.

See BB's point about still playing the same records. (in the same order usually).

Steve

Social source share

Jamie, do you think we should start some sort of young soulies support group?  :wicked: We could talk about what it was like to NOT go to the Wheel, the Torch, Wigan, Stafford, Shotts etc etc  :shhh:

link

Good idea.

What would you call it ?

How about the Rsoulies ? whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert