People On The Soul Scene On Tv

I was reminded the other day about the appearance of several mates on tv.

One was a very fresh faced Gavin Page on one edition of 'The Tube', all sweaty faced throwing his self around to some New Wave band.

The other was sitting in front of the Telly watching 'Family Fortunes' and there displayed for all to see was The Pountain Family, from Gloucestershire with my old mate Ady front and centre.

Most know of the the Stafford and Wigan one's, but got any more to report or even a Youtube clip would be good.

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

One was a very fresh faced Gavin Page on one edition of 'The Tube', all sweaty faced throwing his self around to some New Wave band.

The other was sitting in front of the Telly watching 'Family Fortunes' and there displayed for all to see was The Pountain Family, from Gloucestershire with my old mate Ady front and centre.

Most know of the the Stafford and Wigan one's, but got any more to report or even a Youtube clip would be good.

Dave

What about Chris Anderton in his sexy orange apron in those B & Q adverts thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Darks

Dave

Was'nt the legend that is Russ Winstanley on day time tv (Richard & Judy?) for quite a while. He was involved in the Rosemary Conley red wine diet, whatever that is. It was a confessions of a pie eater type thing. Not sure if Russ remained an ex pie eater.

Regards Alan

Social source share

How about me and John Phelps on that Saturday night thing (forgot the name) about ´75/76 early punk times(not us) me and John right off it steaming drunk as well surrounded by hoardes of really young (trendy) punks?couldn´t stop laughing as the producer was telling people when to applaude etc not very punky really anarchy nowhere to be seen!was actually plastering a house for the producer thats how we got on the show ,

i was also on midlands to-day (plastering) when they were doing a report on Englands first blood bank(long story) and a woman i was doing a job for rung up and asked me if my prices would go up now that i was famous.

Steve

Hi Steve

Forgot that one, and can't remeber the name of the show either.

He was on the telly the other week as well, some documentry about hairdressing.

Dave

Social source share

Rob Messer on that 'more than' ad

also 'man with clipboard' in eastenders

and was reading in bed recently, telly on in the background and a northern tune came on, lokked up to see messer dancing, think it was an irvine welsh drama

Social source share

and was reading in bed recently, telly on in the background and a northern tune came on, lokked up to see messer dancing, think it was an irvine welsh drama

He's also been on Never Mind The Buzzcocks and an ad where he was in a parked van I think, or was that the More Than one you mentioned?

Social source share

Was'nt the legend that is Russ Winstanley on day time tv (Richard & Judy?) for quite a while. He was involved in the Rosemary Conley red wine diet, whatever that is. It was a confessions of a pie eater type thing. Not sure if Russ remained an ex pie eater.

Regards Alan

what wine did he recommend with his pie?.Always been a dilemma for me...Chardonnay with Chicken & Mushroom, Merlot with a Ginster's...............

Social source share

I was on a crappy live crime debate programme - Crime Stalker in the early 90's. Hosted by the ex copper from Manchester. I was there to allegedly debate whether or not single parents should be jailed or not for getting into debt. I was managing a CAB at the time and was obviously therefore against it - the other geezer was some toffy nose Appeal Court judge.

The best bit about it was getting picked up in a limmo and the buffet in the hospitality suite - way over the top.

I've also done odd bits when I worked for the RNLI - mostly about appeals and stuff.

Social source share

He's also been on Never Mind The Buzzcocks and an ad where he was in a parked van I think, or was that the More Than one you mentioned?

Yeah, that was the one

always had to look away at the end bit bit where he leans back with a little too satisfied look on his face...

what was that about?

:lol::thumbsup:

Also Dave Edwards on balderdash and piffle skanking his little heart out and researching the word 'Ska' last year

Social source share

Had my artwork featured live on some BBC 1 Saturday morning kids prog a few years back....... couple of live slots on Anglia TV plus other features on Anglia news and BBC look East. One interview for French telly (don't know if it was ever broadcast) and interviewed live on telly in America about 25 times! Even had my own radio advert that a New Mexican gallery had made.....nearly crashed the car when I heard it!

Hmmmmm this seems terribly like bragging but wtf! :thumbsup:

Social source share

What about Chris Anderton in his sexy orange apron in those B & Q adverts :D

Hey Steve, they used to be red but the orange is more my colour! Must have done this 20 times on various forums....I did 32 different adverts for B&Q between 1997 and 2004. To be on a TV advert you either have to be in the actors union or be a representitive of the company, unfortunatly (for financial reasons) i was in the latter catagory!

Although the last one was 3 years ago not a week goes by without someone mentioning the ads, usually at a soul night! It was a good laugh...still is....I took some vids of my old ads into the store the other day, staff had a right good laugh, i looked about 12 years old on some of them!

Then i got the sack for that bearded git Bill Oddie!

Chris

Social source share

Then there was me and Michele and the Kids on "Who rules the roost" Featured me in King Bee record hunting, played a couple of tracks in the back ground and did a load of filming of me on the Lambretta....Whould i do it again?? Not a chance. They cause disruption in the house and have no idea about real life, even though it is supposed to a "reality show"

Social source share

A few years ago I was Supervisor on duty in North Yorkshire Fire Control when we had mass spate flooding throughout the County. I was filmed doing an interview for a local "Tyne Tees" news item which actually went out nationally on ITN that night. I often get reminded of it by old friends that happened to see it...I'm working in Durham Control tonight...and guess what...it's raining!

Social source share

Remember seeing Adey Croasdale

on some home D.I.Y programme a couple of years ago

It was Changing Rooms with Anna Ryder Richardson and we never got the chance to hear any one off acetates, just a crappy 12" single turned into a clock :thumbsup: , I've told Ady personally that was just not fair on us who waited with baited breath! :thumbsup: think i've still got it on an old video somewhere :thumbsup:

Lenny

Social source share

Talk about timing. There I was watching 'Traffic Cops' on BBC 1 last night and it was about the Hampshire Constabulary this week. The programme covered their policing of the IOW Scooter rally, and who's the first person they interview: Dave Waller, the Soul Memorabilia guy.

I can't get away from him. I was at school with him, just spent all of Cleethorpes Weekender set up next to him, and now he's on my bloody telly !!!!

Social source share

some mates of mine from the south london revival s.c recently filmed for the bill, to be shown end of july/early aug, they had to sit around in a mocked up 'mod cafe' and pretend to be 'mod gangsters' (!!!)

but the highlight apparently was at the end when the production crew wheeled out a scooter that they were going to use the next day for a crash scene, out came a brand new twist n go complete with fox tail and bolted on lights and mirrors, they all rolled about laughing at it apparently

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I was on a crappy live crime debate programme - Crime Stalker in the early 90's. Hosted by the ex copper from Manchester. I was there to allegedly debate whether or not single parents should be jailed or not for getting into debt. I was managing a CAB at the time and was obviously therefore against it - the other geezer was some toffy nose Appeal Court judge.

The best bit about it was getting picked up in a limmo and the buffet in the hospitality suite - way over the top.

I've also done odd bits when I worked for the RNLI - mostly about appeals and stuff.

Me...on Big Breakfast talking about 2-Tone - on Soul Nation (3 hours in Daddy Kools with no heating, editted down to 1 1/2 minutes). I gave every club, dj and promotor that I could remember a shout and all that got left on film was the line about the ambulance and Wigan :D and several other things......plus a live pilot show - and no-one must ever see it ph34r.gif as I will have to kill you all. I had dysentry, the phone lines went down and Danny Baker and Gascoigne walked into the studio in the middle of a live broadcast - pissed. And with my usual aplomb I said 'if you weren't so fat, you'd look like Danny Baker'.........what a nightmare :yes: I stick to radio these days....... yes.gif Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

I was on Radio 4's "Broadcasting House" the other Sunday being interviewed about Gordon Brown. Audience of approx 3 pensioners and 2 of my colleagues (both of whom said I sounded like a Scottish Ken Livingston on pro-plus). Doesn't count, I fear. unsure.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Then there was me and Michele and the Kids on "Who rules the roost" Featured me in King Bee record hunting, played a couple of tracks in the back ground and did a load of filming of me on the Lambretta....Whould i do it again?? Not a chance. They cause disruption in the house and have no idea about real life, even though it is supposed to a "reality show"

I know what you mean. I really thought (how naieve of me) that the producers of Soul Nation would want to know about the history of clubs, luminaries and artists that have made a real difference to most of us and shaped the UK Soul Scene from the early days to the present time.....but no. They asked if I could talk about drugs, sex, high waisters, and anything that had been trotted out a million times. I refused to talk about drugs and sex as my mum might have watched it (she's 86, bless 'er) and as for the rest......... :angry: I tried, I truely tried but in the end, you're at the mercy of the editor and their virtual editting scissors......... sad.gif Ah well...Jo

Social source share

Oddly enough i saw that film too. Was away in Spain for a week staying in a mate's villa, fell asleep with the telly on and woke up at 3am to a Northern tune playing away with our very own Mr Messer up on the screen doing his fancy footwork. Scottish film about some woman getting married and her and her bridesmaids personal stories - think it was called Wedding Belles and had the mad sexy bird (michelle gomez :( ) out of Green Wing in it. Was awake enough to notice that the record on the deck was NOT the tune playing no.gif .

Dont forget that Rob "make me famous" Messer was also a postman in one of the Tango ad's.

martin.

Social source share

Not soul related unfortunately but was once centre screen on th news being 'chaired' off a sit down picket line by the police at Eddie Shar's place in Warrington during his dipute with the print unions. Got 'bol**cked' when I got in work the next day as I'd phoned in sick to be there. :(

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Hi Dave

Yes remember seeing Adey Pountain and family on Family Fortunes and embarassing him at Stafford one night by getting him to admit it.

Has anybody ever owned up to being one of the soulies doing backdrops etc to Footsee on "Top of the Pops" when it was in the charts all those years ago. I still remember one of them looking like Dave Evison!

MarkO

Social source share

A couple of TV things not worthy (ie: waaaaay too embarassing) of mention, and a few soul radio shows..........

but ..............I was on London Talk Radio production about Women in Business in the early 90's with the Head of the Equal Opportunities Board, the most senior female exec in Nat West Bank and Margaret Beckett (she was with the Shadow Treasury at the time). Those of you that know me will maybe think I'm articulate and reasonably confident but I felt like a minnow in a sea of sharks. The interviewer kept trying to make me say that all men in business are bastards and want to quash the sucess of women. I happily chirped that all my business support came from guys - all of whom were really supportive but they didn't want to hear that - it didn't fit in with their storyline. I'm obviously a very bad feminist :P

Sorry - story is not very soulful at all. And Margaret Beckett was as ineffectual and uncharismatic then as she is now.

Social source share

Hi Dave

Yes remember seeing Adey Pountain and family on Family Fortunes and embarassing him at Stafford one night by getting him to admit it.

Has anybody ever owned up to being one of the soulies doing backdrops etc to Footsee on "Top of the Pops" when it was in the charts all those years ago. I still remember one of them looking like Dave Evison!

MarkO

I think that was probably Jethro !

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Are any of the people dancing in the film Blue Juice on SS?

Me! shhh.gif and others on here but I will leave them to 'out' themselves.

I have been on the radio many times and on the T.V a few little 'cameo' appearances. :thumbsup:

My most memorable occasion was when I was on the news. Well I say the news...what I really mean is 'London Tonight' where Vince Rogers interviewed me regarding 'the case of the popstar's missing cat.' The pop star in question was Noel Gallagher and this was at the height of Oasis' fame and anything concerning them seemed to hit the front pages and/or the news.

Noel had come to my house and offered a home to four of my rescued cats and one of them had escaped from his home. This was of course headline news!!!! The tale also involved myself and Kate Moss crawling around 'Supernova Heights' but that's another story.

Anyway, I thought it might give some publicity to the charity and help find Jamie the cat at the same time so that daft Vince Rogers and his crew arrived to film my pontifications from my bedroom-they said it had the best light. They did the usual thing of editing it down to a comedy story which finished with Vince singing Wonderwall....this was NOT in my bedroom and was added afterwards. How amusing. :shades:

I thought I'd got away with it but quite a lot of people seemed to have seen my outstanding performance. ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

A couple of TV things not worthy (ie: waaaaay too embarassing) of mention, and a few soul radio shows..........

but ..............I was on London Talk Radio production about Women in Business in the early 90's with the Head of the Equal Opportunities Board, the most senior female exec in Nat West Bank and Margaret Beckett (she was with the Shadow Treasury at the time). Those of you that know me will maybe think I'm articulate and reasonably confident but I felt like a minnow in a sea of sharks. The interviewer kept trying to make me say that all men in business are bastards and want to quash the sucess of women. I happily chirped that all my business support came from guys - all of whom were really supportive but they didn't want to hear that - it didn't fit in with their storyline. I'm obviously a very bad feminist :thumbsup:

Sorry - story is not very soulful at all. And Margaret Beckett was as ineffectual and uncharismatic then as she is now.

But she is a keen caravanner.

Social source share

Guest DonnaD

It was Changing Rooms with Anna Ryder Richardson and we never got the chance to hear any one off acetates, just a crappy 12" single turned into a clock :D , I've told Ady personally that was just not fair on us who waited with baited breath! :thumbsup: think i've still got it on an old video somewhere :lol:

Lenny

If you find it can I borrow it, Ady wont let me watch it laugh.gif

Social source share

Not soul related unfortunately but was once centre screen on th news being 'chaired' off a sit down picket line by the police at Eddie Shar's place in Warrington during his dipute with the print unions. Got 'bol**cked' when I got in work the next day as I'd phoned in sick to be there. :lol:

KTF.

Drew.

I know the feeling. The bosses in my new job saw me in my first "TV appearance", - being marched around the edge of the pitch in an armlock prior to being ejected. Years ago, Northampton v Aston Villa and I thought I looked the biz in my crombie with a claret & white handkerchief in the breast pocket!

"STOLEN HOURS"

RAMSGATE 21st JULY

Social source share

If you find it can I borrow it, Ady wont let me watch it :wicked:

From memory Donna, it was me that gave Ady the video tape with it on, I don't think he taped it at the time. I'm not sure if we just gave him the tape or made a copy.

If we made a copy I'm sure we could come to some amicable agreement, I'm easily bribed with beer whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Caroline Gration

I know what you mean. I really thought (how naieve of me) that the producers of Soul Nation would want to know about the history of clubs, luminaries and artists that have made a real difference to most of us and shaped the UK Soul Scene from the early days to the present time.....but no. They asked if I could talk about drugs, sex, high waisters, and anything that had been trotted out a million times. I refused to talk about drugs and sex as my mum might have watched it (she's 86, bless 'er) and as for the rest......... :angry: I tried, I truely tried but in the end, you're at the mercy of the editor and their virtual editting scissors......... sad.gif Ah well...Jo

Unfortuately Sue Brick wasn't quite so mindful of any potential consequence when she was interviewed on Soul Nation, and quite happily spouted on about drugs and sex in front of the camera. By unhappy coincidence, her mother Joyce did watch it, and was a little disappointed in her daughter. Sue Brick was also in Blue Juice.

I have a copy of Ady with Anna Rider-Richardson in deep DIY thought - great on-screen sexual chemistry between them both.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Unfortuately Sue Brick wasn't quite so mindful of any potential consequence when she was interviewed on Soul Nation, and quite happily spouted on about drugs and sex in front of the camera. By unhappy coincidence, her mother Joyce did watch it, and was a little disappointed in her daughter. Sue Brick was also in Blue Juice.

I have a copy of Ady with Anna Rider-Richardson in deep DIY thought - great on-screen sexual chemistry between them both.

Caroline, I need to see that copy..... I've never yet managed to! smile.gif

Social source share

Guest Caroline Gration

Caroline, I need to see that copy..... I've never yet managed to! smile.gif

I'll bring it down the next 100 Club, remind me beforehand!

Social source share

Oddly enough i saw that film too. Was away in Spain for a week staying in a mate's villa, fell asleep with the telly on and woke up at 3am to a Northern tune playing away with our very own Mr Messer up on the screen doing his fancy footwork. Scottish film about some woman getting married and her and her bridesmaids personal stories - think it was called Wedding Belles and had the mad sexy bird (michelle gomez :rolleyes: ) out of Green Wing in it. Was awake enough to notice that the record on the deck was NOT the tune playing :thumbsup: .

Dont forget that Rob "make me famous" Messer was also a postman in one of the Tango ad's.

martin.

He was also the dad in a Frosties ad!! I bought that 'Wedding Belles' on Amazon, its a good film, well I enjoyed it anyway!

Social source share

Regards Alan

He was on This Morning with Richard and Judy, they put him on a diet and gave him a total make over, off with the moustache, new hair and everything, looked like a completely different bloke!!

Shortly before that Trickster, Oscar and I danced on the Big Breakfast on 'Melanie Sykes Northern Delights' while he was promoting his book, the boys were doing all their floor work and nearly blacked my eye!! Was great fun tho. If anyone has a copy of that I would be grateful to see it, my daughter thinks I am making it all up! :rolleyes:

Social source share

He was also the dad in a Frosties ad!! I bought that 'Wedding Belles' on Amazon, its a good film, well I enjoyed it anyway!

i agree - it was a good film, quite poignant. although i dozed thru some of the early parts for some strange reason i was unable to get back to sleep after seeing Rob staring out of my TV screen and paid rapt attention to the rest of the film in case he snuck up on me again. laugh.gif

did i mention how sexy i find michelle gomez? oh i did! :thumbsup:

martin..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!