Dare You Play This At A Local Soul Night

Bazza

Guest Dante

you're out of touch BAZZA, what you want is Snoop Dogg,"Drop it like it's hot",or "Put your hands up for Detroit",or Kanye West,"GOLDDIGGA(ray charles sample) :thumbsup:

Drop it like it's hot is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than that. I wouldn't play it either at a northern do but it's certainly better then that poppy sh*te. :lol:

And if a nigga gets attitude? Dropit it like it's hot! hahaha

Cheers

Social source share

• Replies 71
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not actually a sample is it, thought it was Jamie Foxx (who was in the Ray film) singing? (I've only heard this because I am sporadically forced to listen to Radio 1 at work :thumbsup: )

no not actually a sample,but flavored from RCharles track,some one correct me ,i may be wrong.

Don't knock Radio 1,mogadon for the masses.....or is that Big Brother?

Social source share

Drop it like it's hot is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than that. I wouldn't play it either at a northern do but it's certainly better then that poppy sh*te. :thumbsup:

And if a nigga gets attitude? Dropit it like it's hot! hahaha

Cheers

he is indeed the izzle and furthermost the shizzle dizzle,along with that Neptune fella.....you know, the new Curtis Mayfield......Pharrell Williams.

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

I just don't believe ANYONE could even think of playing pop shite out anywhere. FFS what next Billy Ocean.

Are you for real ? Billy Ocean is 'kin brill! Is it just cos he had some commercial success ?

His surname aint even Wilson !

But sorry Baz, Couldn't even click on the BB tune-I remember how much I hated it when it was in the charts. It always makes me think of Colonel Abrams- I'm Trapped. Must have been out around the same time. :P

Regards, Magoo.

Social source share

Bazza

The big problem is "Its not, repeat, not" Northern Soul!!!!!

Yep..no argument from me, but lets face it half the stuff played at a local do' is'nt " northern " you get house, crossover, lot of the modern stuff aint "northern" and of course R&B...tell you what tho' if a do' only played 100mph Northern......I would'nt go..times have changed

Bazza

Social source share

Yep..no argument from me, but lets face it half the stuff played at a local do' is'nt " northern " you get house, crossover, lot of the modern stuff aint "northern" and of course R&B...tell you what tho' if a do' only played 100mph Northern......I would'nt go..times have changed

Bazza

I'm definately with you on this Bazza.

Social source share

Bazza.

You are right. My point is, it is a recent pop hit, all be it nearly twenty years ago. Whould it get any play now if it was a new release, I doubt it.

The examples you gave above, the various types of soul are collectivly "Northern Soul" in my view.

Bobby Browns records and the type of R&B of his generation do not register with me as playable at a Northern venue playing across the board tracks. (I have got loads of modern R&B tracks in my collection as like most Northern Soul collectors i have picked up all sorts over the years)

By the way I do a bit of DJing with a large helping of modern in my spot, so I am not in any way "oldies only blinkered"

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

but when we talk about current R & B, i know i said Mary J Blige and R Kelly but they have been out since what early 90's maybe even late 80's. Only fact is they still make records appealing to younger people, Bobby Brown not done anything for a while not that i know off.

Maybe we can all dig out his albums and see what is lurking on them ready to play out.

I had the same idea wanting to play remix of Mariah Carey - We Belong Together which is a great tune

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

and of course times change, if they hadn't had Modern included as Northern style music i would not hear Crazy World - Kenny Thomas which i love

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

No No No. I think anyone playing this record at any nightclub of anykind would be laughed of the decks and then have rotten vegtables thrown at them.

The idea that this really bad record from really bad era of pop music could be played at a soul do is hysterical.

Social source share

Guest Hector Rivera

My point is, it is a recent pop hit, all be it nearly twenty years ago.

Only on the Northern scene could this statement be made with a straight face .... :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert