Clarence Reid

Guest Juddy

Guest Juddy

My band's opening up for BLOWFLY - aka Clarence Reid - tonight.

It got me thinkin', I know some Blowfly stuff, and some of his more funk and more mainstream work as artist/writer/producer/etc.

But I'm sure there's northern tracks out there that Reid's been involved in... suggestions? Fire away...

juddy

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi there,

a couple of fave tunes of mine by him are

I'VE BEEN TRYING (GREAT VERSION OF THE IMPRESSIONS)

SLEEP WITH ME

COME ON WITH IT

I BET YOU BELIEVE ME NOW

CHEERS

ANDY :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi there,

a couple of fave tunes of mine by him are

I'VE BEEN TRYING (GREAT VERSION OF THE IMPRESSIONS)

SLEEP WITH ME

COME ON WITH IT

I BET YOU BELIEVE ME NOW

CHEERS

ANDY :thumbsup:

I assumed the question was not about northern tracks recorded by "clarence reid" but rather well known northern cuts written by reid (e.g. he was a prolific writer, for example, he wrote clean up woman).

Social source share

Guest Juddy

I assumed the question was not about northern tracks recorded by "clarence reid" but rather well known northern cuts written by reid (e.g. he was a prolific writer, for example, he wrote clean up woman).

I guess that's what I was thinking - were there records by others that are written or produced by Reid, but might not be directly associated with 'im.

Gonna be a fun gig, though it might be more satisfying if he were doing Clarence Reid other than just Blowfly stuff...

j.

Social source share

A handful here

Gwen McCrae "Rockin Chair" & "90% Of Me Is You"

Glories (and Della Humphrey) "Don't Make The Good Girls Go Bad"

Jackie Moore "It's Harder To Leave"

Bobby Byrd "Back From the Dead"

But there's literally dozens!

Sean

I looked in BMI and noticed some rarer northern cuts:

betty wright - paralyzed

moovers - someone to fulfill my needs

there also was that really rare cut "pull an upset", who does this again? It's a solo artist, who I know is Florida. Is it paul sindab?

Social source share

My band's opening up for BLOWFLY - aka Clarence Reid - tonight.

It got me thinkin', I know some Blowfly stuff, and some of his more funk and more mainstream work as artist/writer/producer/etc.

But I'm sure there's northern tracks out there that Reid's been involved in... suggestions? Fire away...

juddy

The best Blowfly thing I can recall is "Girl can I *** in your mouth" :thumbsup: Seriously good album track :thumbsup: !!! Big Hi to Reidy!

Social source share

The Big Upset is by Paul Kelly, inspired by Muhammad Ali beating Sonny Liston in Miami, apparently. There are dozens of Calrence Reid records as artist, writer and producer which either have been spun or are worthy of rare soul scene spins. A big favourite of mine is "The Price I Have To Pay" from his Tayster lp: a neat midtempo item in the Purple Mundi mode.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

The Big Upset is by Paul Kelly, inspired by Muhammad Ali beating Sonny Liston in Miami, apparently. There are dozens of Calrence Reid records as artist, writer and producer which either have been spun or are worthy of rare soul scene spins. A big favourite of mine is "The Price I Have To Pay" from his Tayster lp: a neat midtempo item in the Purple Mundi mode.

Thanks, I couldn't think of the right artist and it was annoying me. I have the tayster 45 but didn't know there was an LP. Any chance of posting a clip of that song?

Social source share

There's a copy of the Tayster lp on ebay currently, Buy It Now for $49.99. All the non-45 cuts are really excellent, with extra special mention going to the super-deep "Otis, Heaven Will Welcome You" maybe my favourite Carence Reid ballad. I'm sorry I can't provide soundfiles, but this lp is pretty good value for that price. I think I paid something like $90 in the days before ebay.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

This collection of Deep City label cuts has a good selection of the earlier stuff penned by CR. (sleeve notes not bad either)

https://www.numerogroup.com/catalog_detail.php?uid=00244

Worth a purchasefor the acetate only ? track 'Darling I'll Go - The Moovers' :thumbsup:

I guess the Helene Smith Got To Do Your Share/Willing and Able on Reid is on his label, before it came out on Deep City, rather fond of that,and You Got To Be A Man. Some info on that here:

https://www.sirshambling.com/artists/H/helene_smith.htm

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I guess the Helene Smith Got To Do Your Share/Willing and Able on Reid is on his label, before it came out on Deep City, rather fond of that,and You Got To Be A Man. Some info on that here:

https://www.sirshambling.com/artists/H/helene_smith.htm

A better voice than stable mate Betty Wright IMO. She has a pretty good crack at Otis's 'Pain in my Heart' too.

Social source share

The best Blowfly thing I can recall is "Girl can I *** in your mouth" :yes: Seriously good album track :thumbsup: !!! Big Hi to Reidy!

Great LP that one, Blowfly Disco Classics - does some great versions of 70's disco tunes, couple which spring to mind..

Spread your cheeks (version of Frankie Valli Swear to god)

What a difference a lay makes (Esther Phillips)

Bad *uck (Harold Melvin).. :(

Edited by ShorterSoul
Social source share

There's a copy of the Tayster lp on ebay currently, Buy It Now for $49.99. All the non-45 cuts are really excellent, with extra special mention going to the super-deep "Otis, Heaven Will Welcome You" maybe my favourite Carence Reid ballad. I'm sorry I can't provide soundfiles, but this lp is pretty good value for that price. I think I paid something like $90 in the days before ebay.

Not anymore there isn't. it was gone by last night, which is a bugger as have been trying to get it for a reasonable price for a while now!!

Anyone have one of these for sale for reasonabe price to complete my Clarence Reid collection, cheer a man up who is suffering over indulgence from recent weekend!!

Social source share

Guest Juddy

Anyone have one of these for sale for reasonabe price to complete my Clarence Reid collection, cheer a man up who is suffering over indulgence from recent weekend!!

Jay-sis, speaking of overindulgence... packed house, too much smoke, too much beer, too much whiskey.

Blowfly/Reid was having throat troubles (I think it's semi-permanent) so he stayed at his hotel drinking tea 'til JUST before he went on - so I didn't get to talk to him at all.

But his band says he's playing this weekend in New York as "Clarence Reid" for the first time in AGES. With Ralph Jackson and Roscoe Robinson, I believe. Deeecent. (Must say, I wouldn't be thrilled about that band doing anything too deep... though they kicked on the likes of "Blowfly's Convoy" and "R. Kelly In Cambodia" :rolleyes: )

Thanks for all the tidbits, peoples!!

j.

Social source share

For starters...

You Knock Me Out

Part Time Lover

I'm Your Yes Man

I Don't Want The Leftovers

I Refuse To Give Up

Sooner Or Later

All good tunes!

Have fun!

Sean

Other side to part time love is cool,fools are not born :D

Social source share

Guest Juddy

One more Clarence Reid thing - apparently Rabbit Factory Records in Chicago is releasing a new 45 by Reid (the first as "Clarence Reid" rather than Blowfly in 30+ years), as well as one by Ralph "Soul" Jackson:

https://www.myspace.com/rabbitfactoryinc

And in completely unrelated news, I gather from Mojo Boneyard studio here in Pittsburgh that Bobby Wayne's almost finished his new record, complete with allegedly killer cut of 'Change Your Ways'/willie kendrick, for a hopeful 45 release.

That's the news from steel city today... thumbsup.gif

juddy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert