Les Dawson Cover Up

Many moons ago (apx. 1976) I was told the following bizzare tale.

Apparently the comedian/pianist Les Dawson made a record in 1974 called "Spread it around." Someone on the soul scene obtained a copy, covered it up and played it to a top DJ who liked it so much he then bought it.

Don't know if he ever played it out anywhere but he regularly contributes to the soul source forums so perhaps he'll let us know himself.

Les didn't think much of it and on his prime time Saturday night show he had a map of the British isles, bit like what they use on the weather forecasts, and he pointed out to the viewers how many had been sold in which areas on a weekly basis eg. 3 in London, 15 in Manchester etc.

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Awake 502

Many moons ago (apx. 1976) I was told the following bizzare tale.

Apparently the comedian/pianist Les Dawson made a record in 1974 called "Spread it around." Someone on the soul scene obtained a copy, covered it up and played it to a top DJ who liked it so much he then bought it.

Don't know if he ever played it out anywhere but he regularly contributes to the soul source forums so perhaps he'll let us know himself.

Les didn't think much of it and on his prime time Saturday night show he had a map of the British isles, bit like what they use on the weather forecasts, and he pointed out to the viewers how many had been sold in which areas on a weekly basis eg. 3 in London, 15 in Manchester etc.

link

I once gave a well known dj this to play at a Bradford Bier Keller all nighter, he had it all cued up and ready to go but just as the other deck was fading out I grabbed it off him to save embarrassment... Scary thing is he had listened over the headphones and was really going to play it.. :huh:

post-1832-1107218350_thumb.jpg

Social source share

anyone got a sound file?  ranting_1.gif

Shane

ps. does he play the piano out of time?  :wub:

link

covered up as des lawson you know;usa came out on uni,yes same lable as garland green!.yours backdoor,100club

Edited by ken
Social source share

anyone got a sound file?  :wub:

Shane

ps. does he play the piano out of time?  :)

link

Second that request for a soundfile!!

Noticed it's got a Brian Bennet arrangement. Bennet did some top funky Library type stuff in the early 70s, so it might not even be as daft as it sounds.

Did I ever tell you the story about Roy Barraclough making a pass at me in the bar of Oldham Repertory Theatre...

One for another time maybe shhh.gif

Social source share

told h,horrace bout this i think! he thought i was taking the piss!!but then i use to like l zaveronies version o rescue me,heard it recently what a pile of,can somebody do sound thingy please,or will pay tenner for one,backdoor,100club

Social source share

I hope this is not a wind up cos I always fall for this type of thing. After raving about Harry Starr - Another time - I was informed the actual artist was Richard Chamberlain of Dr Kildare/thorn birds fame! shhh.gif

I believed it! :wub:

Shane

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!